Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I've gotten far enough along in this process now to at least have a few automated rejections. That's nice I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i just had an interview where i'm 99% certain the candidate was being coached. they had lots of weird audio issues getting going, lots of weird pauses before answering, and the kicker: after giving me a vague description of a past gig, the candidate said "you should explain that more", then went on to poorly expand on what they'd said.

I had a phone screen once years ago where the candidate clearly had a friend answering for them. He repeated every question, the background noise stopped (mute button probably) and then gave vague but confident answers - too long ago to have been chat gpt

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

dioxazine posted:

it's real bad out there. i've a single digit success rate in actually scoring interviews since october

should've jumped in q2 last year, drat

Finally got an initial interview....and the role sucks. Welp.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

theflyingexecutive posted:

Is there a good job title I should be looking for in junior but not entry-level PM work? I have a huge array of PM soft skills, but no certs or formal training. I used to work in film where I would responsible for anywhere from 20-200 extras and coordinating six different departments to get them set ready and currently I manage covid testing events where I have 1-20 reports collecting boogers while I go-between clients, vendors, venues, and talent teams keeping everything smooth.

For software stuff? ie are you trying to parlay your other experience into software PM stuff? Project Coordinator or Project Manager are pretty broad, with the former being more junior (maybe even entry level).

If you can herd cats like that and have read exactly one book about user stories / agile you should be more than qualified.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Jabor posted:

can you, if i put you on the spot in a 30-minute interview, write a loop that iterates through the values in an array?

if the answer is yes then you're better than a good number of candidates i have seen.

Yup. I used to have a more complex test I used and over the years I simplified it down to something between this and fizzbuzz. Still had architect level folks fail it. We did it live on a whiteboard and then I'd ask a few questions about their solution and do some mini optimizations on it and that was it. It was shocking how poorly folks did on the whole, so much so that we moved it earlier and earlier in our interview process. Nothing sucked more than having a good hour long chat only for the candidate to completely fail what we felt like was a formality at the end.

EDIT: re anxiety, whiteboarding, etc - we were all client facing (consulting) so this was more relevant to their actual job tasks, i.e., doing stuff on the fly with an audience.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

lord fifth posted:

literally every single interview i have done for underclass level intern positions has been orders of magnitude more complex or domain specific than fizzbuzz. who is giving fizzbuzz to real applicants??

After your dozens of real applicants fail to write a single line of valid code you tend to look for different ways to evaluate....or in my case, move the test earlier in the process to avoid wasting time. I seriously had a similar long term success rate with hires by using simple coding tests as a way to trivially reject the unqualified as I did with more complex tests designed to separate top tier from mid to top.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

theflyingexecutive posted:

project ideally

right! I'm trying to jump into a role like that at a level where I can get more familiarity with the operational structure and hopefully get them to pay for professional creds that can jump me into a higher salary. my org now is way too small with too narrow of scope where formal pm tools would be at all necessary

The dual edged sword here is that Project Manager is a hugely variable job title....ie you already have enough experience to apply for a role called Project Manager, but you'll likely be overqualified for some of the roles and underqualified for others.

If you had some cheap easy credential (like a CSM or something) or some way to show in your resume / application that you knew what user stories were and the basics of how to write them plus some general agile vocabulary it'd probably be enough to get you an interview. If you play up the complexity of managing relationships, the number of folks you were coordinating, the stakes of what you were delivering, etc, I bet you could build a reasonable proxy for what software PM folks are looking for. Timelines, budgets, stakeholder management, cat herding, etc are all things you can talk about and all directly apply to software PMing.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

post hole digger posted:

i have meetings with our cto pretty often and i always thought a funny bit would be to take a picture of his office and use that for my meeting background picture.

One of my coworkers did this and it's a great bit. Before he left he had the whole sr team and he'd pick one until someone noticed. I was careful enough that he wasn't ever able to screenshot my background with me out of frame, but eventually he just photoshopped me out.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Apparently this is a volume game. It's been so long since I've had to do this that I'm not sure what is normal. I'd say to start applying now because I've sent a ton of stuff out and it's completely crickets.

I had one initial phone chat via a friend but everything I thought could be fun about the role wasn't actually part of the role, so I withdrew.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

polyester concept posted:

got a good offer at a new place that has a 4 day work week. hell yes. better health benefits too.

Does your new boss need a new boss? If so, hit me up.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I'm likely going to continue until my start date - those early layoff waves had folks getting signed offers pulled (even with confirmed start dates) etc.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I read about half of that book before putting it down. It's very surface level. You can probably just read the ToC and google the terms to find similarly interesting content. Maybe it taught all the magic words to say without understanding them for FAANG interviews, but I haven't had a chance to try that out.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

PIZZA.BAT posted:

we were this || close to extending offers to two people and the higher ups slammed the door shut. we’re in a hiring freeze too for the foreseeable future. sorry to everyone who hasn’t been able to find a chair now that the music has stopped. i give it 50/50 odds ill still have mine a year from now

I just got through a process and had the hiring freeze thing sprung on me. That was after I got 'you are too senior for this role - we are going to find budget but it will be quite a while' from my other best prospect.

Neither hired anyone else...so not a loss...but also not currently employed.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

the real pro move is to get a great candidate lined up and bam hiring freeze

Just happened to me. Twice. It sucks. At least I didn't "lose" to someone else.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

This is it right here

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
If you need the equity to be worth something to meet your total comp requirements, then they need to sell you on why it is.

If valuing the equity at $0 still gets you to total comp, then you're playing with house money and maybe you care less.

Even if you know you're going to take whatever they offer you because the market sucks, etc, light negotiation is unlikely to lose you the offer. Sometimes it's easy to increase equity, sometimes it's easy to increase base comp, sometimes they can give you more PTO or whatever. Tell them you're looking for a competitive total comp package and whether their current offer qualifies and then see what they come back with perhaps.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Not quite my area of expertise, but I'd expect a graphic designer to have a portfolio more than a resume. The resume is useful for the basics of where and when she worked, but the portfolio does the work of establishing her abilities as a designer.

I've interviewed and hired UX designers which is where I'm drawing from. It's great to see finished product, but also some intermediate steps, plus be able to talk through the contraints and motivations that led her to make the choices she did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Some loops only have a single iteration....or none at all. I'm loop interviewing right now apparently.

Good luck OP!