Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sagebrush posted:

the single best episode of the entire show. fight me

I have to go with A Milhouse Divided as my personal favorite. Season 8 is goat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Glumslinger posted:

Klasky Csupo had a delightfully terrible art style

Plus, look at how diverse that crowd is, both in skin tone and in facial shapes.

They had poo poo down 100% by season 3 though, which is one of the best looking seasons imo.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The show still looked pretty decent into the bad non digital seasons.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I hated how they just put Arnold in the movie as president instead of their own parody character of him since they thought so little of the audience.

Also “what if Arnold Schwarzenegger was president lol wouldn’t that be wacky” hasn’t aged the best.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Which page had all the dragon ball memes?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The only new one I’ve watched from the past few years was the Jacques returns one and it was not good.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Maybe people who grow up with this era as “their” Simpsons will think differently but old people are not gonna enjoy it

It’s hard for me to picture younger people watching these but I guess someone must be if it keeps getting renewed.

Are there early 20 somethings that have nostalgia for like season 19?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Propaganda Hour posted:

Season 10 had some good episodes and I'll fight that fight until my last living breath

I think it’s mostly good. Season 11 has some good ones too.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Wayne Knight posted:

Now just imagine it says "been indicted" instead of "dead"

This will be the first thing I think when that day comes.

Who am I kidding, he will outlive us all.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Not an interesting choice but it was Maude dying for me. Even as a dumb kid I didn’t understand why they were disrespecting that character for seemingly no reason. It was even stupider when I learned the reason years later.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I definitely remember seeing some episodes a lot more often than others in syndication.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Isn’t there some thing uncovered relatively recently that old shows in syndication are actually played sped-up to fit more ad breaks in?

Edit yes and 2015 gently caress what even is time

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/speed-of-sound/

They didn’t do this back in the 90s though right? When did this start?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

A lot of them didn’t even bother with the logos this year.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

alexandriao posted:

late response but I'm 25 and 99% of the simpsons I saw as a kid were season 1-9 reruns. When I watched it back to back by myself as a 19yro i ended up dropping out during season 7-ish because the quality just started plummeting. I genuinely haven't really seen later simpsons to any significant degree and I've tried to watch it and ehhhhhhhh.

The folks I know who are around my age group feel similarily and usually drop out of their back to back watch around season 8 or 9

Thanks for this. I’m glad younger people still get something out of the classic seasons.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

One of the few memes from beyond the classic seasons along with old man yells at cloud, the strippers dancing in front of Smithers, worst day of your life so far, Homer pinning his flab behind his back to look thinner for Marge and Ralph giggling he’s in danger from the Family Guy crossover.

Any others I’m forgetting?

Edit: vv yep

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 12, 2023

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Season 9 is good to me and 10/11 still have a lot of episodes I like. 12 and 13 maybe a handful between them.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

super sweet best pal posted:

What happened to Yogscast?

I just clicked on a newish video and it seems like a lot of the same people still do it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wonder how many mugen Ralphs are out there that use that as an attack.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

That Megan fox panel lolol

It’s appalling how bad she is in that game. Even Ronda Rousey did better in 11.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Samovar posted:

I'm hard pressed to think of worse V.A. work. Although the folk who did Ada and Wesker in the Separate Ways remake are close seconds.

I don’t mind Ada too much but they really should have brought DC Douglas back for Wesker. He’s so boring and I shudder to imagine that Wesker in a RE5 remake.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I'm too old to get these new seasons

I watched a video on how the new seasons are actually good and the examples the weepy youtuber puts forth as evidence aren’t good at all.:lol:

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eazXm7WEz50

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 15, 2023

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

bunnyofdoom posted:

That 2nd one worries me.

That’s the actual episode. Season 14 got pretty weird with Marge between that one, the implants one and the Island of Doctor Moreau cat Marge.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Everyone complained about the HD on disney+ cutting off like a handful of jokes, but I never see anyone complain about how we lost all the director commentaries when they killed simpsons world. Those are hilarious and can't be found anywhere else except the fuckin DVDs.

It’s a huge shame that streaming services don’t give a gently caress about any of this stuff.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Baron von Eevl posted:

A reminder that you can turn widescreen off on the Disney Plus options for all old content, including Simpsons.

Did that the minute they added that option. Probably going to go back to dvd rips now that they’re upping the price.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like the guys with conjoined Bart hair spikes.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Modern Simpsons background characters look out of place and nothing like named characters. They always design them closer to how they design celebrity guest characters. I hate that look.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

super sweet best pal posted:

Hurricane Neddy's crowd scenes are probably the ideal version, a mix of generics and Waldo'ed supporting characters.

:yeah:

They look part of the world. Modern Simpsons background characters look like those lovely simpsonsify your family ads you used to see a few years ago.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

lobsterminator posted:

Missing Ian Maxtone-Graham.

Does he talk like that guy too?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Propaganda Hour posted:

The Regan era Star Wars Strategic Defense Initiative really infected the brains of the Simpsons writers, didn't it?

It did for a lot of comedy writers of the time since it was stupid as hell and time has proven them right.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That Jero account is a pro follow even if you don’t know Spanish. Next level Simpsons meming. There’s a ton of them.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Troy McClure fish thing was easily the most confused I was by a joke on the show as a kid. I remember asking my mom about it and she laughed without answering.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Was Swartzwelder the only good right wing comedy writer in history?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I never get tired of the DB ones.:lol:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

CzarChasm posted:

Battling a rough cold this past week, and it helped me understand an old Simpson's joke better. In the Flaming Moe story, at the beginning, Moe offers a freebie to the guy who lost a quarter in the love tester. He tries the Flaming Moe, likes the taste, and comments "my phlegm feels looser." I always just thought it was a weird one off non-sequitur, but of course that would be one on the effects of the drink, it's full of cough syrup.

I’m coming out of covid and I only just now realized that Fort Adventure is made out of the the soiled mattress from the men’s shelter Homer also saw in the paper.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The guy that makes those is starting to post them in English too now but that may not be as fun.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Goku being sexless makes total sense to me.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

pixaal posted:

They are Sensu beans from Dragonball if you swallow one you instantly heal to 100% health as long as you haven't actually died. The cat lives on top of some tower that you can use the power poll on the top of to reach God. The cat starts handing them out like candy later.

He also grows said beans.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

So that’s where that screen shot of sunglasses Bart with Marge serving him a pile of mice comes from.

It’s pretty surreal seeing “new” classic Simpsons clips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I know they frequently do table reads for other characters when the actor isn’t available so I guess that extended this far sometimes and they would have got Kavner if the clip wasn’t cut.