Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Was the PSP Gitaroo Man just a remake or was there anything new in it? The PSX version is still one of my favorite rhythm games and I revisit it every few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weed goku
Aug 25, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
https://youtu.be/54Ei0EHZPUw <- posting for anyone who doesn’t know it exists

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Cobalt Viper posted:

Was the PSP Gitaroo Man just a remake or was there anything new in it? The PSX version is still one of my favorite rhythm games and I revisit it every few years.

They added like one or two unmemorable tracks to Versus mode. Really, the biggest reason to play it nowadays is that it handles input lag better than the original, so if you don't have a CRT it's still playable in master mode. Or if you're playing on the go.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Ohh gently caress yeah Gitaroo Man, forgot about that one

Best childhood game trade of my life was Jade Cocoon 2 for Gitaroo Man

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Project Diva X is wayyyyyy easier than future tone, I'm gettin 5 Star Extreme clears on my first try on some of these songs. I wasn't expecting this to be like, an actual game with a plot though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was drunk at a lovely no name smoke filled over priced dive bar somewhere in Tokyo playing the bartenders iPhone and loving...Rin-Chan Now came on, nobody blinked, and then the next song played. This country is bonkers

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

I was drunk at a lovely no name smoke filled over priced dive bar somewhere in Tokyo playing the bartenders iPhone and loving...Rin-Chan Now came on, nobody blinked, and then the next song played. This country is bonkers

https://twitter.com/aktona/status/952736035691089920

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Is this the place to talk about how much I love rhythm heaven

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
looks like we got a casual in here boys. i am joking, rhythm heaven is a delight.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The 3DS rhythm heaven game is badass but I hope if they ever make a Switch one they try to do all new games for it.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

i liked the compilation aspect of it but the structure was rear end, having currency gates and having to play super easy uninteresting versions of the old games for a third of it. also the 0-100 scoring is insanely strict and goes against the rhythm heaven ethos of being a chill fun time imo. megamix is the only game in the series i havent 100%ed. i still like it though

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

In Training posted:

The 3DS rhythm heaven game is badass but I hope if they ever make a Switch one they try to do all new games for it.

I think they're kinda screwed by the main composer/producer guy getting throat cancer that left him unable to talk/sing

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UB1t5ewJjo

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
The 3ds one is also the only one I haven't got 100% on but I'm working on it. That monster mouth challenge that ends with exhibition match will be the death of me.

I also need to grind coins up a bit because I spent them all feeding a loving goat

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The text & reactions if you mess up on this one own . drat I love those games

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I can’t remember if Space Channel 5 was a good game or not

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

julian assflange posted:

It's good. The main mechanic is basically just Simon but everything about the way they present that is fun and totally insane

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
um jammer lammy is the best one

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

julian assflange posted:

its got freakin michael jackson in it. yeah its good

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

part 2's even better and has even more michael jackson in it

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgkLah9xXYs

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

[nodding furiously]

HuntSAC
Jan 10, 2014
Rhythm games are good fun, Audiosurf for it's generating tracks, OSU! for it's fan dedication, Elite Beat Agents for it's wackyness. It seems I can't get into listening to Vocaloid casually, but I do like playing the Diva games. It's kinda facinating how suddenly the GH/RB business just imploded, I would probably have kept buying them if they put them out.

There was a pretty interesting arcade game I played in Japan called Groove Coaster, I would have liked to go back and just play that for whole week. It looks something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBAdRPJYAs4

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

groove coaster owns. it was originally a phone game and i played the poo poo out of it, the latest versions are free

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

also this looks bad rear end https://twitter.com/tomscott90/status/955402076099661824

HuntSAC
Jan 10, 2014

absolutely anything posted:

groove coaster owns. it was originally a phone game and i played the poo poo out of it, the latest versions are free

You just blew my mind, need to get this now.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

its not as frantic as the arcade version on account of it using a touch screen instead of two nipple controllers but its extremely good

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Groove Coaster's coming to PC, they announced it a couple weeks ago

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

oh right. i wonder if that will be more in line with the arcade version

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
i was good at DDR, and could beat almost everyone in the local arcade, at DDdR Extreme, despite being much younger than them. while still in middle school, i was near the top tier of stepmania players. tried to get into pop n music—soft modded my ps2 to play imports, bought some cheaper peripherals—but never really got into it. havent kept up with ryhth games for years, but this thread sent me googling and now, apparently. thers a US DDR scene again...with the new machines close enough to me that im thinking about getting back in shape?...

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
stop tempting me

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
just remembered: my close friend bought arcade style, metal ddr pads with his bar mitzvah money, but i could always get better scores on my redoctane soft pads (which had better sensors, at least for my playstyle, at the time). had a good laugh at him for being jewish, wealthy, and, yet, not good at DDR. even to this day, I lol.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

HuntSAC posted:

Rhythm games are good fun, Audiosurf for it's generating tracks, OSU! for it's fan dedication, Elite Beat Agents for it's wackyness. It seems I can't get into listening to Vocaloid casually, but I do like playing the Diva games. It's kinda facinating how suddenly the GH/RB business just imploded, I would probably have kept buying them if they put them out.

There was a pretty interesting arcade game I played in Japan called Groove Coaster, I would have liked to go back and just play that for whole week. It looks something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBAdRPJYAs4

If you're close to any Round 1 arcades, most (all?) of them have Groove Coaster cabs!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Groove Coaster's coming to PC, they announced it a couple weeks ago

hell yeah

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
*deletes long post about AA'ing End of The Century, despite vomitting on friend's DDR pad half way through, with clean socks at the end* rhythm games were a crucial part of my development, as a human

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i made an awesome hard ddr pad by mutilating a plastic cutting mat, taping it to a $20 redoctane pad, then taping the whole thing to the floor. i gave up when i couldn't beat max 300 on heavy. my eternal shame

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

It was never part of my life but I bet lots of people got some awesome life changing cardio playing DDR and became adept at sex.

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known
i've played stepmania (the Open Source™ version of ddr that you can play on the computer) on and off since like 2007 and at my peak around 5 years ago i was actually halfway decent at smashing keys to music. i've always wanted to build my own hard pad because i'm a huge nerd & it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult but a) i am lazy and b) i wouldn't know where to put it if i did do it.

also i used to be really good at gh/rock band but then i started playing real guitar and that was more fun.

i'm kinda sad that it seems this genre of games is loving dead because it's one of a few genres that i'm pretty good at.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

is thumper a rhythm game or just a rhythmic game? thinkin about getting that for the switchf

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

finally got to check out the new photo editing stuff they added to future tone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

GameCube posted:

is thumper a rhythm game or just a rhythmic game? thinkin about getting that for the switchf

Oh yeah. I think I'm gonna buy this today. I can report back

• Locked thread