Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I had repressed any memory of that guy. Going back to ignoring, and it was a good episode. How different she looked and acted was the best. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
That guy is a creep

So fierce

:3:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sharkopath posted:

For real though in case anybody is actually leery of Koi it's real strength to me is that it takes a concept a lot of series have taken as straight romances and instead turns it into a way more grounded coming of age tale.

The man is a really good hearted dude dealing with his own bad divorce and treats a schoolgirl crush like a schoolgirl crush but also genuinely enjoys spending time with Tachibana so they develop a friendship instead.

It's more messy and complex than that in the same way that life is more messy and complex but its good and not some trash thing that should be reviled.

a good post

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
:yeah:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I love the ED.

And the only thing wrong with anime Kondo is NO BALD SPOT WHAT THE gently caress

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Coaaab posted:

I love the ED.

And the only thing wrong with anime Kondo is NO BALD SPOT WHAT THE gently caress

I can't believe they've left this out, it's like one of his major charm points

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Check out this post

DisDisDis posted:

All the after the rain enjoyers should read miss sunflower

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Aurora posted:

i hear this has a huge wage gap. why doesn't the girl get paid equally? is the manager really worth that much more?

I'm like 3 weeks late, but lol

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
also I finally watched the first ep of this (having enjoyed several chapters of the manga a good while ago) and it was really good and set the mood fantastically well

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Cant, translate more miss sunflower

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
we got more like 3 months ago, you whiny baby

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
:ergcryin:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

That applies to the manga though. When it comes to an anime adaptation, not everything is exactly 1:1. (e.g., Jun Ito collection, etc.).

I watched the first 3 eps of this and certainly could feel how it tried to be, but felt the execution was off by enough to drop. And I'm not talking the sparkly good animation, I'm talking pure characterization and storyboarding. Even knowing what is 'supposed' to happen from the series synopsis, it needed almost perfect execution to overcome the inherent problematic premise, and was close but did not succeed. Minor details like the shirt sniffing scene or the handling of her love confession were just not done well enough.

Also for the record, my wife got triggered AF watching this with me. I tried and explained everything, including the spoiled synopsis and everything above about separating concept vs execution, to get her at least through 3 episodes, but her tightrope expectations for the show were even more stringent than mine and she ultimately came to the same conclusion.

tl;dr: your manga might be good, but this anime has done just enough wrong (doesn't matter if its the source material or the adaptation) to warrant a failed 3 ep test.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

DisDisDis posted:

Check out this post

I don't think it's really that comparable to After the Rain, beyond the 'teen crushes on an adult' thing, at least so far but also Miss Sunflower is very cool and pretty and I would be crushing on her too so I'm gunna keep reading it

Knorth fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Feb 3, 2018

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
I was reluctant to give this a go because I'm a 45yr old man who still hasn't completely come to turns with his youth being gone but I watched all 4 episodes today because people wouldn't stop recommending it.

It is LOVELY. Kondo is adorkable and his moral dilemma is so well illustrated. Akira is such a sympathetic protagonists and I don't even feel we know her all that well yet. And Kase can gently caress off. Love it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yeah it's a lot better than I expected. I forgot how much of a dick Kase was. The manga is being translated quite slowly so I wonder if the show will overtake it this season?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Knorth posted:

I don't think it's really that comparable to After the Rain, beyond the 'teen crushes on an adult' thing, at least so far but also Miss Sunflower is very cool and pretty and I would be crushing on her too so I'm gunna keep reading it

From the literally two episodes I watched grain of salt they're very similar in tone and handling of the tone and the sensitivity they handle the subject matter (and seeming at the outset like the end game isn't the two people ending up together) and it seems very much like something people would enjoy if they enjoy koi ame

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

That applies to the manga though. When it comes to an anime adaptation, not everything is exactly 1:1. (e.g., Jun Ito collection, etc.).

I watched the first 3 eps of this and certainly could feel how it tried to be, but felt the execution was off by enough to drop. And I'm not talking the sparkly good animation, I'm talking pure characterization and storyboarding. Even knowing what is 'supposed' to happen from the series synopsis, it needed almost perfect execution to overcome the inherent problematic premise, and was close but did not succeed. Minor details like the shirt sniffing scene or the handling of her love confession were just not done well enough.

Also for the record, my wife got triggered AF watching this with me. I tried and explained everything, including the spoiled synopsis and everything above about separating concept vs execution, to get her at least through 3 episodes, but her tightrope expectations for the show were even more stringent than mine and she ultimately came to the same conclusion.

tl;dr: your manga might be good, but this anime has done just enough wrong (doesn't matter if its the source material or the adaptation) to warrant a failed 3 ep test.

I don't understand this post because I think the direction in this show is fantastic. I love the pacing and presentation a lot. I don't have the manga for context in my case so maybe this is a matter of differing expectations.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

I don't understand this post because I think the direction in this show is fantastic. I love the pacing and presentation a lot. I don't have the manga for context in my case so maybe this is a matter of differing expectations.

The pacing (how fast does the story move) and presentation (how visually good does the final product look) are fine, I said the storyboarding (how shots are composed towards the overall theme) and characterization (how the characters are portrayed nonvisually) were the issues.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

The pacing (how fast does the story move) and presentation (how visually good does the final product look) are fine, I said the storyboarding (how shots are composed towards the overall theme) and characterization (how the characters are portrayed nonvisually) were the issues.

I feel like we're talking to-may-to, to-mah-to here for the most part. What issues do you have with the characterization?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yeah it seems very close to the feel of the manga so far, although it's been a while since I read the early chapters.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Personally I feel the storyboarding so far has been excellent. Compare it to Violet Evergarden, which on a technical level is absolutely astounding and has a bunch of work put into it, but the direction has been somewhat poor. The pacing and framing of shots in After the Rain have felt really good.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

Yeah it seems very close to the feel of the manga so far, although it's been a while since I read the early chapters.

My point is calling the anime close but not good enough. If your argument is it has been mostly faithful to the manga then I guess I'm primarily blaming the source material for not being good enough.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

I feel like we're talking to-may-to, to-mah-to here for the most part. What issues do you have with the characterization?

Aside from the two scenes I already mentioned, I'll detail a third example: after the montage of seeing her injury and loss of ability to participate in track, in her down state she goes to the restaurant where she first meets our titular 45 yr old manager. He does one simple nice gesture that he would have done for anyone, does a magic trick, then leaves.

....and now she loves him, happy go lucky, story pushes forward. Wait, what? You're telling me her infatuation was predicated on this one nice thing that she latched onto in her depression? Ok fine, but why was it framed as some bog-standard romantic encounter? Like this is clearly unhealthy and not good, yet no indication is made to address or even setup this theme. And I'm giving the show the benefit of the doubt already by calling it an "infatuation". The show is framing this as full throttle love.

My argument is that there are ways to do this exact same scene and sequence of events, but more properly frame it as the beginning of a complex relationship with two broken people trying to resolve their poo poo. It's hard to pull off, but that's inherently the risk with such a premise, otherwise this just becomes a creeper show about old dude gettin wit that teenage girl.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
I didn't read it that way at all. The free coffee and magic trick turned around her day, and there's a still yet untold bit where she started working there. She didn't realise she liked him for sure that way until she was talking to Yui about things they liked. I may be wrong but that's how it came across to me.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

And I'm giving the show the benefit of the doubt already by calling it an "infatuation". The show is framing this as full throttle love.

Maybe it's just me but that's not how I'm reading the show at all. They've already shown that however long she's had feelings for the manager she knows very little about him, since she didn't know he had a kid or that he was divorced. That puts her solidly in "schoolgirl infatuation of an idealized image" territory as far as I'm concerned, though I don't watch enough romance anime to know if that qualifies as "full throttle love" for them.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I definitely latched on to some dumb poo poo to start crushing on people as a teen and its pretty common for teens to crush on adults. The problem is if its reciprocated obviously. I think its fine for the show to portray this as is and not have to flash giant red they're both miserable warning lights or w.e on screen. Ofc my opinion completely changes if they end up together so maybe some manga readers can spoil us on that

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

DisDisDis posted:

Ofc my opinion completely changes if they end up together so maybe some manga readers can spoil us on that

I'm not tagging this since it's kinda central to whether or not people feel ok about watching:
as of what I've read this has not happened and it feels more like friendship than romance on his side imo

I would really prefer if they don't end up together but I'm not going to lock in any predictions on that. I think a lot of the discomfort could have been resolved if Akira had been aged up to college vs high school without really impacting any of the main beats of the story. There would still be a huge age gap (which is kind of central to the story since they're in such different life stages), she could still be faced with a major injury and loss of her place on the track team, etc. It's really my main criticism of the work overall, that there was no reason she absolutely HAD to be underage other than all the cultural stuff around high school and that being the main setting for everything ever.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

AnacondaHL posted:

I agree with everything here.

I've been reading the manga, and the comment section where 40/50 year old people start posting their own IRL experiences/"success stories" about dating 18 year old's makes me want to choke people. There's the concept vs execution issue, but let's also throw in the issue of separation of fiction vs reality. This story doesn't do enough to say 'hey, a 45 year old shouldn't be dating a 17 year old because that would be gross tbh', and I consider that a flaw against the author.

Seeing the shirt-sniffing scene and the amount of butt/panty shots of the 17 year old tells me this isn't the purely heart-warming tale of growing up that other's are making it out to be. I'm only reminded of an old travel log by an English teacher who was talking with some Japanese folks who said that 17 years old was the most beautiful that "women" would get.

VVV I lay it at feet of the author because my second paragraph implies that Japan in general considers 17 year old's as highly desirable, even among grown as adults, and the author is unfortunately no different. I consider this story dabbling into their lust, but with the addition of real-world consideration, complications, and angst tempering it out into something that people believe is a 100% wholesome and pure-hearted coming-of-age/puppy love thing. Which I find pretty bullshit with every leering panel of the 17 year old's body. Kissmanga.com is where I'm reading those pedo posts, and people asking themselves if they would do the same if they were in Manager's shoes (the answer is yes, they would).

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 7, 2018

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

EagerSleeper posted:

I've been reading the manga, and the comment section where 40/50 year old people start posting their own IRL experiences/"success stories" about dating 18 year old's makes me want to choke people.

that's disgusting D:
also I'd recommend reading somewhere that gross people like that don't hang out (I have literally never seen any comments to that effect on this manga on mangago fwiw most of them are just thirstposts about the manager lol)

e: gross people are gonna gross though, I don't really see much point in laying that at the feet of the author

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 7, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
don't read comment sections

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
the fantasy isn't dating a 17 year old girl it's dating a sweet, cute 45 year old man

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
addendum: with a cute kid

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The manager is definitely the draw here. He's super endearing.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Both of them are, really. Kondo is is such a lovable, friendly dude that could probably make anyone feel better about life. Tachibaba met him at the lowest point of her life and her raging teen puberty got directed towards him. I can see that.

I'm not saying that it isn't unhealthy. But it is utterly adorable and I want the best for the two of them even if they don't get together.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

DisDisDis posted:

the fantasy isn't dating a 17 year old girl it's dating a sweet, cute 45 year old man

I really feel like there are two entirely different audiences here and those who sees Kondo as the main draw are probably going to find more here to like than those who look at Akira and think "ah this is who the show is trying to make me horny for." :v:

Akira is the audience insert character not the target of desire.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I could never be attracted to someone who eats a sandwich so slowly.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Kondo has, so far, the following advantages:
  • Despite being a "useless pushover", he's proven to be a responsible adult.
  • Knows what's up
  • Knows magic
  • Has an adorable scamp of a kid
  • Is trying to make the best of a situation
  • Is voiced by Hiroaki Hirata

I think I know who I'm watching this show for. :blush:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

An unshaven Kondo is... powerful...!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth