Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni (Love is Like After the Rain)
Akira Tachibana(17) used to be the ace of a track club, but gave up running due to her injury. Masami Kondo(45) is a manager at a family restaurant called Garden, where Akira works. This story is set in a seaside town, and depicts a girl who stopped at a cross-point in her youth, and a man who reached a turning point of life. Everybody wants that moment where they get fraught with great emotions.

MAL / ANN
Watch it on Amazon

The manga was nominated for the 9th Manga Taisho Award.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Go ahead and get it all out of your systems

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Aurora posted:

i hear this has a huge wage gap. why doesn't the girl get paid equally? is the manager really worth that much more?

he's a man so...yes

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
ok finally watched the episode and that was great :3:

really captured the slightly melancholy feeling of the early part of the manga, which contrasts nicely with what a goof Kondo can be and awkwardness of their interactions. that imagery of the broken hurdle early on and all the focus on Akira's ankles leading up to the reveal of her injury was really well-done.

Kondo's dad-magic trick :3: :3: :3:

e: : also I appreciated that it didn't slip any fanservice in right at the end with akira undressing, I mean I guess seeing a hint of bra strap could be fanservicey and she was undressing but imo it stayed tasteful which is in keeping with the manga; seinen manga with a big focus on high school girls can go unpleasantly skeevy and this one never has so I'm glad the show seems to be holding to that

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 12, 2018

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

DisDisDis posted:

Also the manager is hot

:yeah:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just think, in September you can start over from volume 1 with the official release :v:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sindai posted:

I didn't know the difference between a pedicure and manicure until just now, thanks anime.
what the heck

Kondo is a treasure and must be protected

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
it's already been said but this show is so dang pretty

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
After the Rain manga won a thing
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-01-22/the-promised-neverland-after-the-rain-more-win-63rd-shogakukan-manga-awards/.126788

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sharkopath posted:

For real though in case anybody is actually leery of Koi it's real strength to me is that it takes a concept a lot of series have taken as straight romances and instead turns it into a way more grounded coming of age tale.

The man is a really good hearted dude dealing with his own bad divorce and treats a schoolgirl crush like a schoolgirl crush but also genuinely enjoys spending time with Tachibana so they develop a friendship instead.

It's more messy and complex than that in the same way that life is more messy and complex but its good and not some trash thing that should be reviled.

a good post

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Coaaab posted:

I love the ED.

And the only thing wrong with anime Kondo is NO BALD SPOT WHAT THE gently caress

I can't believe they've left this out, it's like one of his major charm points

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

DisDisDis posted:

Ofc my opinion completely changes if they end up together so maybe some manga readers can spoil us on that

I'm not tagging this since it's kinda central to whether or not people feel ok about watching:
as of what I've read this has not happened and it feels more like friendship than romance on his side imo

I would really prefer if they don't end up together but I'm not going to lock in any predictions on that. I think a lot of the discomfort could have been resolved if Akira had been aged up to college vs high school without really impacting any of the main beats of the story. There would still be a huge age gap (which is kind of central to the story since they're in such different life stages), she could still be faced with a major injury and loss of her place on the track team, etc. It's really my main criticism of the work overall, that there was no reason she absolutely HAD to be underage other than all the cultural stuff around high school and that being the main setting for everything ever.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

EagerSleeper posted:

I've been reading the manga, and the comment section where 40/50 year old people start posting their own IRL experiences/"success stories" about dating 18 year old's makes me want to choke people.

that's disgusting D:
also I'd recommend reading somewhere that gross people like that don't hang out (I have literally never seen any comments to that effect on this manga on mangago fwiw most of them are just thirstposts about the manager lol)

e: gross people are gonna gross though, I don't really see much point in laying that at the feet of the author

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 7, 2018

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

DisDisDis posted:

the fantasy isn't dating a 17 year old girl it's dating a sweet, cute 45 year old man

I really feel like there are two entirely different audiences here and those who sees Kondo as the main draw are probably going to find more here to like than those who look at Akira and think "ah this is who the show is trying to make me horny for." :v:

Akira is the audience insert character not the target of desire.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Terper posted:

An unshaven Kondo is... powerful...!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Maybe take the show as it is and not worry so much about the magazine and tv channel demographics.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
ty for that Endorph, I have zero knowledge about magazines so that's all new info for me

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/965253912583274496

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022