Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
syria

syriza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Frijolero posted:

Germans are loving garbage people.

Yes, let's dump billions in military equipment on Turkey and Saudi Arabia, but let's also feel bad about it :(

canada dumped a ton of equipment on SA right around the yemen blockade as well

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
our feminist prime minister wouldn't reneg on the deal because canada has to honour its agreements or some crap in the face of starving yemeni children

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
we criticized them for imprisoning some blogger, no way we'd touch yemen or anything yemen-adjacent

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

everything about this loving rules

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Darkman Fanpage posted:

if you dont support intervention you're an assadist

pretty much

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
"activists of idlib" is an amazing phrase

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Willie Tomg posted:

wow, how cynical and callous, here's at least 12 purple prose paragraphs about how if we proactively invaded syria it might have been fine, maybe, probably, i'm almost certain

i couch every one of my posts in moral righteousness of how evil and wrong your views are, who am I

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

if you say "Bellingcat is funded by the Atlantic Council" into the mirror three times then he'll show up and rename your thread

I'm really excited for the upcoming Yemen coverage.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 17:43 on Oct 3, 2018

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

this rules

saudis and qatar are basically republican/democratic party proxies and now they're slinging the same accusations the two parties do at each other lol

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
that's some discipline to stay on message while being manhandled

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's more like the earnest buffoonery of a Coen Brothers movie.

yeah this is basically the sequel to Burn After Reading

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i wanted to press R to reload his gun

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

jesus christ

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
posting from carl zha's timeline again I see

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
if you come at the Lion you better not miss

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

THS posted:

there was a good radio war nerd episode recently with max abrahms and at one point john dolan asks him if behind closed doors, like especially after the iraq war and stuff, if they know they are full of poo poo or that their ideology might have problems. and max abrahms is like, no, not even a little bit. behind closed doors they think their terrible psychotic worldviews are unassailable

anyway thats why there will be no mercy when the potomac runs red and the suburbs of DC burn

Some also interesting bits about how they get media training right away so they can be called up instantly to give a speel on cable news.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
he argues like carl benjamin, maybe it's a midlands english thing

the isis recruiter stuff is gross as hell though. retweets for hoping to rape and murder kurdish women fighters!!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

When did this happen? Where are thess garbage takes even coming from?

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2018/10/mark-ames-shamiwitness-bellingcat-neocons-collaborated-influential-isis-propagandist-twitter.html

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

That cooperation was from before that guy became an isis recruiter. But I see why would think otherwise, given that the poo poo framing comes from this article itself written by Mark "“Russian women, especially on the first date, expect you to rape them,” said Mr. Ames. “They’ll go back home with you and say, ‘No, no, no,’ and if you’re an American, you’ve been trained to respect the ‘No,’ because you’re afraid of sexual harassment or date rape, and so you fail over and over. But it took me a while to learn you really have to force Russian girls, and that’s what they want, it’s like a mock rape.'" Ames, a truly stand up guy you want to take your info from.

so you're just doing a bit where you imitate his debate style, cool fair enough. you need a stronger moral claim about ames's character to really get it to stick though, people have been trying the gross book written in 2000 for about 7-8 years and it hasn't really stuck

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 20:19 on Dec 9, 2018

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I think Ben Shaprio has a debate seminar where he teaches you to debate this way.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

ironic if so, considering the way the video that started all of this was edited

that's not ironic at all

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

THS posted:

i wouldnt pretend to go to bat for the personal character of mark ames or whatever, the best case scenario is that he was writing hunter s. thompson style fiction which is gross in and of itself. he's apologized for it, disavowed it, and said it was bad. whether or not you believe him is whatever. that doesn't invalidate pointing out how badly brown moses hosed up on shamiwitness or that brown moses isn't going to deviate far enough away from his paycheck. generally the adage holds true that if a person's salary is predicated on his not understanding, he won't

I mean this is just how it goes. If you can defend the stuff, then you attack. Mark Ames and Taibbi wrote some gonzo satire that's aged extremely poorly, it's gross, and they both apologized for it and gave some context as to why they wrote it. Not a single woman involved with them in Russia in business or elsewhere that could be found says they did any of that stuff they wrote about. At that point the assertion that they're rapists and pedophiles is based on actively not believing women and the imagination of a couple of idiot 20 year olds. It has nothing to do with Ames's abilities as a journalist, or the strength of his arguments and evidence and just about bad past behaviour.

At that point you're committed to passing judgement on everryone based on the bad things they wrote 18 years ago, which is a hell of a moral commitment. Best of luck being consistent about that because inevitably the media people you trust will turn out to have done lovely things in the past.

I just wish posters here also applied their healthy skepticism to other sources posted here, especially when they are funded or tend to be consistently aligned with certain states interests.

has it occurred to you that we do and we just don't agree with your assessment?

I very much don't trust partisangirl, that video that ignited this whole posting spree seemed posted more as a joke and to laugh at the hacks that use Syria as a playground for their politics than anything else.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7Mx6nluRGc

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

HerraS posted:

like most things in the middle east this thread went to poo poo immediately after an israeli touched it lol

congrats

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
and they lived happily ever after

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Erdogan is facing a recession and while a war is a good distraction, trying to take that territory is going to be pretty bloody and costly. At least in theory; it seems like Turkey's tried to collect as many Sunni jihadists that they could probably use as cannon fodder against the Kurds. And continue to resettle white helmets in the conquered territory.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Only Trump could have such a pure reactionary Id that he does what our allies want in the only way it could gently caress them over.

It's pretty much his only good quality, but man is it funny.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
this is still probably the tweet of the year:

https://twitter.com/Syrian_SR/status/1054347137125883905

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Gwynne Dyer, who I usually consider quite good on global politics and war even when he's wrong, predicted that the Kurds would beat back ISIS given that they were one of the more organized and well equipped groups in Iraq and Syria back when ISIS first appeared on the radar of the western press. He figured they'd offer assistance and in return they'd get their Kurdistan. Except that it didn't quite work out that way and the Kurds got pushed back when they did finally get involve, demonstrating that even the most relatively thoughtful takes on the early war proved to be completely wrong.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
all the reports are "slowing down" withdrawal, which sounds like everyone convinced trump to give erdogan enough time

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
someone should call trump a carpetbagger and see if they can get him to rant about the confederacy and how they were all losers

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
"as far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a janissary"

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://twitter.com/CalibreObscura/status/1081317288178008070

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcze7EGorOk

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Chillgamesh posted:

Am I really being a dick? I'm genuinely ignorant and trying to get straightened out here. I'll just stop posting if it's a problem.

Your questions are usually what pro-intervention people will do to lead a bunch of people into saying they'd rather have Assad than a US-backed takeover and then pulling the rug out and saying "ah so you support Assad you monsters??" that's why people are a bit hostile.

Also check out Wille Tomg's posts about the Syrian Civil War earlier in this thread (I think?) that should both clarify and confuse you at the same time because they do a great job of explaining how complicated the opposition in Syria is, and why opportunists try to pretend there's a clearly delineated "good" opposition that should be supported rather than a dozen fragmented groups, the stronger of the bunch being ISIS, al-qaeda, and adjacent groups.

edit: ah yeah, it starts here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846193&userid=91903&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post491090148

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i think it was charles lister but I get the two of them confused

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i thought bm was opening up shop to cover the yemen conflict

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Willie Tomg posted:

mostly to stay busy in between flogging imperialistic narratives with 120p video "proof"

im a simple man, just looking for some detailed analysis of grainy photos and the thinnest amount of local knowledge to detail houthi war crimes

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Willie Tomg posted:

absolutely bizarre this fascination some posters have with a moderator who leveraged their position into a thinktank-supported sinecure spoonfeeding ideological slop to the Someone Must Do Something warmonger caucus so other peoples' kids can die in the latest incarnation of the great game. it must be a trial having chained yourself to a dying empire being torn apart by its own incongruity, but you buy the court eunuch's ticket you take the court eunuch's ride. perhaps if wisconsin was geocached on open source media or whateverthefuck your expertise could have helped think tanks help the democrats "make the case" more effectively than this. your greatest career aspirations are as the middle management ideas guy in the marketing department of brushfire wars of opportunity, you trifling piece of poo poo.

being able to summon a poster by just typing his initials is a power im not sure i want to have tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001