Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Darling in the spanx willhopefully turn out good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

this anime just grosses me out. last week with the unnecessary grab assing and poo poo, and this week with the loving training cockpit with the girl rear end console. jesus

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

what's the deal with the child fever they brought up in this episode too?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Dryzen posted:

they are teenagers

so was dio

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Endorph posted:

like goddamn I did worse poo poo than ichigo when i was a teenager minus the giant robots

how many breads did you eat?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

this just makes me want a taubarn plamo

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Beezel posted:

Why is Zerome such a loudmouthed narc?

he's just loudmouthed and a gossip. nobody in the unit cared. too bad team snitchey did

and hopefully they get stiches soon

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

well, the anti spirals finally showed up

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

someone on reddit was complaining that they sucked all the personality out of 02 ever since she realized hiro really was her darling. that her only action ever since was to say "i love u darling"

past couple of eps have really driven that home. i miss the panty thief 02 at this point

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Kanos posted:

We got very little of panty thief 02. Most of the time she fluctuated between actively hostile or being dismissive to everyone except Hiro, who she was intensely possessive of.

even those specks of personality are gone. and her being nice to hiro was a facade in the past. now she's just #1 in hiro's fan club, with all the rest of team vying for #2

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Eela6 posted:

This show is a real mess but I'm no longer angry. I don't think this show had any real menace behind it, it was just kind of incoherent, with a whole bunch of wasted characters and serious pacing/writing issues.

When it comes down to it, Ijust can't hate giant bride lasers.That's the kind of quality insanity I come to gainax trigger a1 for.

i can

they were incredibly weak looking for what they were. apparently they wiped out all the virm at once, but it sure didn't look like they did much of anything

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

that was extremely awful and BS

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Kanos posted:

:agreed:

For people in this thread who have a tolerance for some extremely dumb fanservice and want a show that blends mecha action and relationship drama a whole lot better than Franxx ended up doing, watch Godannar.

they just got done watching a show about characters with butt handles

and one time an enemy kinda just splooged on the mechas to make all the girls naked for no reason

i think they're probably prepared

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Hommando posted:

This show gave us an actual incel swat team that kicked in the door and beat up teenagers for being non-virgins. Most of this anime was dumb but I don't regret watching it for that scene alone.

they're volcel, not incel

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

this is basically the adults in darling in the spanxx:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

just finished godannar, and it was indeed better than darling in the franxx. it had lovable side characters that actually had something that resembled arcs, an actual lesbian couple (though i have some complaints of how they were treated), and a mostly coherent message.

there are some parts that seem plotholish to me like why anna married goh in the first place, and its animation is not that great, but it's better than DITF, and its ending is way more earned than the bullshit DITF pulled

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Guy Goodbody posted:

I have only ever seen people talk about the laundry and cow episodes positively.

i got the turn A MG model, and i got the little cow inside the nuke compartment where he belong

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

remember when the colonies docking up was called kissing?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i just got done watching gunbuster and diebuster, and i gotta say.....

gunbuster was a mess. it's got some hype scenes like the gunbuster fight, but it's really disjointed and the plot from episode to episode is hardly connected sometimes. diebuster was much better told imo. the biggest head scratcher to me is them running to find the aliens, barely encountering them, and then running back to earth? was that what happened? what was the point of going out in the first place? recon? that being said, the ending of Darling in the franxx is such a huge loving ripoff of gunbuster and it's so obvious after watching it (including the two lights returning to earth)....

also, noriko rubbing loving salt into oneechan's wounds wrt coach on the roof with crutches was... wow. like, the dude is obviously dying noriko what are you thinking. and then when oneechan makes it drat obvious "he's loving dying and you're really digging the knife in noriko!" noriko screams "COOOAAAACHEEE!!" for the 50th time in 5 episodes. Also, the love for coach between oneechan and redhead is not really built up or earned, but for some reason they both love him enough to catfight over him? and redhead's constant switching between friend and enemy is weird.

i have to say the neatest thing about gunbuster is the concept of relativistic differences in time being explored

Condiv fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 18, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

skasion posted:

Are you talking about when they lose Smith? The fleet retreats because they got loving wrecked by the space monsters and realized they were in way over their heads.

I agree it's all fuckin over the place tonally. You get the sense Anno wanted to make four or five different shows here.

that's part of my problem. first of all, it's not clear they're retreating back to earth. I thought they were like "well, this is a pretty hosed up area and it's nothing to do with our goal so lets move on instead of incurring more losses". Also, the fight was p much non-existent. like you mentioned earlier, the story is shackled to noriko's perspective, and that makes it hard to grasp the severity of their losses. they rattle off numbers later, but it's not a good way to tell they were bodied. likewise, having it shackled to noriko's perspective and the enemy is too fast for her to see or react to means a battle with.... nothing? she literally goes out, freaks out, comes back, and it turns out they retreated and smith is dead. it's a really bad way to show that their force was bodied by the aliens

in episode 4 it's obvious the aliens kicked their asses, but you don't have that in episode 3. you experience one ship get blown up (offscreen), aliens rush around without being seen, smith dies off screen, and noriko comes back and mopes over smith.

quote:

They introduce this subplot in a really weird way, the "scene" at the bit of ep3 where they roll a bunch of text on screen about the physics of warp drive while playing audio of Coach and Kazumi drunkenly karaoke-ing a suggestive song together at a party. Especially annoying for western viewers because you have to read the subs as well. I think the reason why it isn't really built up in a more conventional way is because the series is shackled to Noriko's point of view. Much like how Evangelion would go on to hide from us everything Shinji doesn't know, but quite a lot more so (later NGE has a lot of stuff from Misato's perspective and there's no analog to that in Gunbuster). If Noriko doesn't know something is happening, it almost doesn't exist. It's weird and sudden when it's revealed that Coach is banging his teenage subordinate because it's weird and sudden when Noriko eventually finds out.

I don't think Jung really cares about Coach, she's just giving everyone poo poo because she's jealous type who resents that Noriko (useless weepy lump) keeps getting picked to do cool poo poo instead of her (sexy bad rear end communist).

yeah i missed this. and it's a terrible way to introduce that subplot. and it still feels unearned cause a drunken flirtation shouldn't result in the meltdown of episode 5.

Droyer posted:

I remember reading some developer commentary that implied they originally intended gunbuster to end with episode 4, and you could totally see that. Don't have a source though i'm afraid.

imo, this would've made things worse, cause coach spent the series so far building up noriko's talent, she spent a good deal of the series not actually showing it, and then in episode 4 she beats the big bad by letting it stab her robot and blowing it up. episode 5 (the latter half) is much more of a redemption of noriko and what coach was trying to get her to be imo.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

KoB posted:

god i hope not

• Locked thread