Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
The robutts in this are kinda boring (much like the show itself) but the fanart is making up for how bland the first episode was. Desperately hoping they can try to make our Protag boy into something interesting.
Also noticing that the character's being named after numbers is similiar to the whole Buster Machines deal in Diebuster. (which this show's design ethos is like a lite version of.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Godannar atleast has some more varied robot designs (for better and for worse).

I'm gonna be honest, everything I was kind of expecting with this did happen. It's VERY boring already. The plot's looking more akin to Gunbuster except sadboys with ep 2, with Hiro probably going to remain a wet blanket for a long while (like how Noriko takes forever to face the fear of everything around her) and eventually gain whatever courage he needs. then 002 will have some sorta thing that makes her scared too, because the show needs that to follow the story beats. Just gonna call it now.

I'm just gonna keep comparing this to Gainax things because it's not doing anything yet that's actually clever or interesting.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I wish she was this happy looking in the show.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Nephthys posted:

Her name is literally 0 2, which in japanese is 0 Ni.

a succubus is a kind of Oni, dork!

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

The new episode made me happy. I hope they have more smug faces because this was fun to scribble.
E: more actual progress because gently caress it

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 4, 2018

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Cao Ni Ma posted:

i will not be satisfied until someone gets pegged

the worm did, so

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
https://twitter.com/uma_no_suke/status/959735041445150720

I'm glad i'm not the only person who immediately thought the two shows had VERY similiar mechanical design.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Ranzear posted:

It also looks an awful lot like Star Driver ... because it's the same guy. I don't see anyone listed besides 'character design' on Gad Guard though.

From what I know it's the same designer for Gad Guard too. The guy's style is unmistakable, and frankly his work (especially the piercing eyes he does) heavily influenced my art over the years.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 5, 2018

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Chev posted:

He's the guy behind Heroman's designs (both mecha and character) and also concept artist for Baymax from Disney's Big Hero 6. I've also got a book from him that's all drawings of girls splashed with bright yellow paint.

However it doesn't seem like he was involved in Gad Guard despite the resemblance, the credited mecha designers are Yoshikazu Miyao and Toshiharu Murata.

Lurking Haro posted:

Unless he worked under a pseudonym, he wasn't involved.
The first credit I can find for him is actually Eureka Seven, so maybe Gad Guard influenced him.

Wow, I would've sworn it was the same guy. You look at Gad Guard and then look at stuff from Diebuster, you'd be hard pressed to not find similiarity. Maybe it was inspiration of sort then? I'm real glad to know this though, thanks!

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Getting away from politcalitis for a bit:

still making smug Strelizia because this is really fun to draw.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Leave Japan problems to Japan and American problems to America. The show is probably just gonna go down the route of trying desperately to tell otaku (and general people watching) that relationships don't have to be scary and they can go out and have children. I doubt the show will touch on our American ideas of sexual and emotional diversity (which, while not as big of an issue over there, is still an issue.) but I'll be happy if it does touch on that.

I'm actually pretty suprised there's even a show trying to say 'relationships don't have to be forced or scary' with Hiro and 002's actions, considering what Japan's culture has shoved down it's collective throats for centuries. My general hope is that it continues to explore that idea further, and maybe the other characters start finding what makes them work well together, or if not being able to do that, to find who or what matters to them.
I'm probably giving this far too much credit for an A1 show though.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I haven't watched the ep yet but here's the almost finished picture. hopefully the show isn't bad again when I watch it.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Guys clearly he's becoming a Guyver or Kamen Rider or something.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Kanos posted:

In a way that's already happening. 02 seems extremely amped to spend time with Hiro, but him becoming attached to her is straining his other relationships enormously and is also causing him unbearable physical agony.

At this point it's hard to say, but I'd consider that all but guaranteed with how anime loves it's japanese mythology parallels.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I was among those folks in the olden days. I try to go back to /m/ and it's impossible to talk about this show without people screaming that it's garbage and trying to say it's tanking in the ratings (they never post sources, ever.)
Makes me wonder what the ACTUAL ratings for it are, though. I certainly hope it's doing well enough that we can get damashii figures of all the robutts.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I feel like I just watched Simon realize he doesn't need to be under the shadow of Kamina anymore but with entirely different circumstances behind the realization.
In short I enjoyed it alot. I hope we get more rad poo poo happening from here on.

nielsm posted:

The mass produced Franxx aren't very cute, actually.

they remind me of one of the MoMo figures, probably this one:

it's one of like two of those figures I actually think look kinda cool, so I'm pretty alright with the MP FranXX.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 17, 2018

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Mister Olympus posted:

It's Hiro because:

9 Iota

9I

is 16 upside down

Seems like alot of people are reading it as that.
That said, the show STILL hasn't made note of why the 0 morphs to a 7 momentarily in the regular opening. I wanna know what that poo poo is about.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Davincie posted:

they should go back to the ntr and sex symbolism cause standard rear end robot fighting and friendship poo poo is boring

Why are you watching a mecha show, then?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Eureka Seven is kinda bad.
It middles through a large chunk of the beginning, then it all pretty much goes downhill at the halfway point of the couple of mercenary/assasins/whatever dying because they were the most interesting aspect of the show. When they died the whole thing got lovely real fast.

I certainly haven't seen any parallel of E7 yet so thank god for that.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 19, 2018

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
anemone was really boring, why would I remember her?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Anemone is a character that's well animated and comes across as smug and a bit on the crazy side, but by the end of the show her whole arc devolves to she's upset she's not like renton and eureka (or something I haven't watched the show since it first aired on adult swim) and all of a sudden she just sorta changes tone to realizing that's not all she cares about and jumps out of her robot into a deadfall to meet up with that one boy and the sheepcat, then her robot dies and she does nothing else for the next two episodes.
Also the poo poo with the coral alien things is loving stupid, because from what I was told the mvie hints that the coral in that alternate history are the same ones from the main series and they learned literally nothing from how bad they hosed up things the first go-around.

Honestly Bones' good shows are when they sorta wander like stray dogs, which is majority of their work. Eureka tries to be focused and doesn't do a good job of it.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
that's why I said 'tries to'. it spends far too much time on weird worldbuilding episodes like the racism episode with the one princess who's dying (basically the only episode of the show I remember the entire plot of because it actually left an impression on me)

I don't even remember if that stuff ever comes up again in the entire series or it's just a singular plot to try and get renton to learn he can't save everyone.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Chev posted:

Getter Robo is the original threesome robot and don't you dare forget it.

This is true fact. nothing is more manly than Gattai with two of your bros!

Also

https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=67251597

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 21, 2018

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
This thread consistently attracts the crazy people.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Which of the robot girls should I draw next?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
This show is giving me weird THX 1138 vibes the further along it gets. With the creepy empty city in the dome and the fact the show is hinting at some insidiousness to the children's existence I'm wondering how far I'll be leaning to that thought. Guess we'll be seeing soon enough.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Understanding posted:

I really have to see THX1138 again, it's been at least a decade since the last time so I barely understand what you mean.

Largely, it's the way the society in it no longer uses sex for child birth and has totally converted to test tubing with code numbers (which I'm starting to wonder if that will be A Thing with this show) as well as the society seeming like there's not many people. (one person existed exclusively to be part of the entertainment of the society, and didn't even have a code number.)

FranXX is definitely NOT doing the thing of using drugs to remove sex drive though. I don't think any anime could get away with that.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 8, 2018

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

dogsicle posted:

pretending it's unique to Japanese culture is weird and straight up not true

yes but the conversation is specifically about japan, so

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I like the gag comic for this episode.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkYvwH_Gtfs

A friend made this

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I loving called it, this poo poo's been giving me some serious THX 1138 vibes and it's all but confirmed this society might just be as hosed up as the one in that movie.

E: well also it's reminding me of Xabungle's regular humans living in domes because they literally cannot survive the outside environment at all. If that's the case, it's entirely possible the whole point of this test group is similiar to Xabungle's repopulation plan.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 17, 2018

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Dan7el posted:

I'm really, really hoping there is some beneficent intent and plan for this group of kids and that they will grow up and become happy adults. I seriously doubt that's in the works. I think 002 knows what's up and is keeping her mouth shut because it's really bad, and she doesn't want to poop all over their party.

Dr. FranXX is probably doing things that nobody is totally aware of if there's any specific motive to them being so unique.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I wonder what it's saying?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
did they just... are Mitsuru and the other girl actually gay??
I mean, neat if true, but I wasn't expecting them to really try to hint anything about it until later.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
consider this:

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

PMush Perfect posted:

Anyone who can't also cum on the feelings robots isn't trying hard enough.

preach it brother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
https://twitter.com/DARLI_FRA/status/984359857795944448

jesus christ I was NOt expecting this.

• Locked thread