Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grouchio posted:

*Browses Episode 4 spoilers*

HIRO GOT IN THE loving ROBOT!!! :cawg:

Why would you put the fact that it's spoilers for the unreleased episode in the spoiler tags?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mokinokaro posted:

I felt it did help Two's character a bit. Humanized her which was needed.

Between that and Hiro finally getting over his doubts I really liked this episode and their character dynamic now.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kyte posted:

I kinda wish 02 weren't so antagonistic with the rest, I'm a sucker for tag team action.

I'm really looking forward to the next couple episodes being about when one friend gets a new girlfriend that nobody else can stand but he brings her everywhere so they have to try to like her

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maybe the fact that 02 killed all of her partners in three missions was used as a way to control her. Because she couldn't run away with any of them since they would die soon if she did. So they don't want her to pilot with Hiro because now she has a partner who won't die so she can run away, which she suggested to Hiro multiple times.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Even Symphogear, literally the gayest anime, doesn't have any kisses.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is it possible that the show could introduce more characters in the future? That could throw an unexpected wrinkle in everyone's pair theories, if Darling in the Franxx turns out be one of those strange shows that introduces new characters after the first episode.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

sincx posted:

A1 is perhaps the least likely studio to be putting some sort of political statement in their show.

So far we know that the show is about a world ruined by the older generations, where the young are forced to base their entire self worth on their ability to contribute to that society in proscribed ways, to the point that losing your job or breaking up (which are one in the same thing) is tantamount to death.

So yeah I'm not sure where they could find room in that for any sort of political message.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

tsob posted:

Is that part from interviews or summaries or something? Cause I'm not recalling anything in the show itself that says the world used to be greener/better and hasn't always been this sparse and desolate.

It's an assumption I am making

edit: oh yeah skasion is right. It's set in Japan

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sarcophallus posted:

I've already forgotten, did the Anime have this phrasing?

Are code numbers shared?

I think the meaning there is that he used to have good results, but feels like he's changed now.

Of course it's just a fan translation so trying to read nuance into specific phrasing is just as likely to lead you on some blind alley to nonsense

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The world be a lot better off if all studios pushed those levers as far as they'll go and broke 'em off, imo.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They talked about the Klaxosaurs being attracted to the energy they use, maybe there are agrarian communities doing just fine.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xelkelvos posted:

I really don't think the show would add anything by adding a homosexual couple, at least in and of itself. If it did something interesting with it, maybe. But otherwise it'd just feel like pandering.

I'm not sure how the show could fail to do something interesting with a homosexual couple, considering how laser-focused the entire society is on heterosexual couples. Like, I guess they could introduce two new dudes who just stand in the background of some shots kissing and nobody ever comments or notices.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kashuno posted:

If this was a longer series I think it’d be an interesting avenue to explore. Not because “oh gay character we need to delve into this” but because it would be contradictory to the world environment we have see experienced so far in FranXX

They have twenty more episodes to go.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Diabetes Forecast posted:

Leave Japan problems to Japan and American problems to America. The show is probably just gonna go down the route of trying desperately to tell otaku (and general people watching) that relationships don't have to be scary and they can go out and have children. I doubt the show will touch on our American ideas of sexual and emotional diversity (which, while not as big of an issue over there, is still an issue.) but I'll be happy if it does touch on that.

They have gay people in Japan now. Homosexuality isn't just for Americans anymore.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ranzear posted:

I made the mistake of looking up A-1's other works. Between Aldnoah Zero and Sword Art Online, I've actually lost all faith that this show will do anything interesting. Oh well.

Can't wait for Klaxosaur guns to not actually kill people and nobody gets in a robot anymore after about episode 7 or so.

I'm not even sure Trigger could save this one now.

The actual director is a guy named Atsushi Nishigori, who worked on a bunch of stuff, including Gurenn Lagann and Diebuster. The only things he's been the overall director for are the Idolmaster TV show and movie.

Nishigori shares writing credit for Darling in the Franxx with Naotaka Hayashi. It looks like the main thing Hayashi did before this was Plastic Memories

Neither of them worked on Aldnoah Zero or Sword Art Online

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eej posted:

If Tomino worked on FranXX then as a successor of King Gainer all the robots will be powered by the combined relationship power of a husband, a wife and a third husband or wife

Overman King Gainer was an amazing example of dodging a love triangle in favor of mature relationships between reasonable people.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eej posted:

No one (aside from the goons who will immediately say they are) is asking for the show to go full on gay power hour, just that it is concerning for a modern show trying to talk about relationships it has a gaping blind spot. That's kinda normal for most media really but the fact that the setting goes out of its way to create a situation (male-female pairings are enforced by society but also by science) that effectively removes any consideration of non-hetero rights relationships both undercuts any goal it had about having an honest talk about teen relationships and also raises questions about the authoral intent.

We're still only four episodes in, dude.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SpazmasterX posted:

Becoming the blue oni parallel because he's actually someone with the capability to be Zero Two's partner is pretty good story imo

No idea what the consequences long term would be though

Isn't the whole thing with the Blue Oni that he sacrifices his happiness for the Red Oni?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

AnacondaHL posted:

Having the infection retreat as the result of ... willpower? heart? ... was an unexpected development. Sadly it sets a poor tone for earlier theories.

It retreated because he stopped wanting to die usefully and started wanting to live for the woman he loved. It was the result of character growth that been set up from the very beginning.

The theory that riding with 02 prematurely aged people was based entirely on the fact that her previous partner was tall. I think everybody gave up on that when the other guy rode with her once and just got hosed up but didn't suddenly have wrinkles or whatever.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

AnacondaHL posted:

I'd argue the infection wasn't symbolizing a roadblock in character growth, given how 02 was show reacting to it with care/passion, as if it was the honey she loves eating. If it were, 02 would have reacted by going "hey, this poo poo shows you aren't being true to your feelings. Do you wanna gently caress or not, darling?", paraphrased.

Rather it was actually setup to symbolize character transformation. As in, the old weak you sucked, either become a new stronger you or die. Also maybe turn into a bit of an oni for a closer relationship with 02.

Having it recede like that sends weird mixed metaphorical signals imho, but a few eps from now could resolve/alter that.

I saw it as a symbol of Hiro's death wish. Like, he was totally fine with dying on the third ride with 02 because he thought that dying in a Franxx was literally the only thing he had to offer anyone else. But then he realized that he wanted to keep fighting to help 02. So rather than fighting to die, he started fighting to live.

I think that we're gonna get into 02's character growth now, on account of Hiro just having his big moment so they can kinda set his arc to the side for a bit, the fact that she now has a partner who isn't going to die soon, and that line at the end of the most recent episode where she said she has to fight more Klaxosaurs. The show has been focused on Hiro thinking that all he has to offer the world is his ability to fight Klaxosaurs, but similarly it's also set up that 02 thinks the only reason she is accepted at all is her ability to fight Klaxosaurs. How does she react to having a partner who genuinely cares for her and isn't being killed by her.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Vandread was extremely trans positive for a series of it's time.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kashuno posted:

I would love a yurucamp with the FranXX girls

If the entire show became about beach camping and urbex in abandoned coastal towns, I would be OK with that

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kashuno posted:

I hope this situation with Ichigo gets resolved one way or another sooner rather than later please

This episode was kind of frustrating in that regard, I thought it had been resolved last episode.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Understanding posted:

it's the episode where they found this thread.

can we assume the baby book's gonna bring up sex? wouldn't it be kinda late for the book to do that?

The book was called "Your First Baby", right? So it could easily be for couples trying to have a baby, as opposed to just a pregnancy guide.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sindai posted:

02's smug loving face as she stole everyone's clothes made me laugh harder than anything else this season.

it was outstanding

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kanos posted:

For a show as loving horny as this one is it's also incredibly, bizarrely wholesome.

They did an entire episode about the boys ogling the girls without ever inviting the audience to ogle the girls too.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raxivace posted:

They had so much stuff to throw too. It was a bit ridiculous!!!

How many bowls do you have in your bathroom?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crasical posted:

I was very much in the 'I don't like or trust 02' camp but her goofy trolling this episode, especially the big grin as she takes off with everyone's clothing, has softened my opinion of her a bit.

Her behavior makes a lot of sense considering that all other previous partners died very quickly, and it seems like the rest of her previous teams didn't last much longer, and also all the adults think she's a monster. That's not the kind of life that would lead someone to easily make genuine emotional connections.

She out and out said it this episode, they're all gonna die, even the clothes stealing was just a bit of fun in the time they have left.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

esselfortium posted:

this show is absolutely ending with everyone piled together into a giant orgy robot

I think you mean a giant positive, healthy relationships robot

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think it's fair to Kim Kardashian to assume she's some fake otaku girl who just googled "pink hair anime"

Kim loves Darling in the Franxx.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

tsob posted:

That second point of information on the other hand makes it pretty definitive.

Not sure what's funny about not assuming something from scraps of information.

She posted a picture of 02 and called her her hair inspiration, there's no reason not to assume she likes Darling in the Franxx.

It's kinda weird to assume that actually she probably doesn't like anime, she just saw the picture by accident and decided to run with it. It smacks of those dudes who talk about fake gamer girls.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope Darling in the Franxx takes off and becomes mega popular in America because of this

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paracelsus posted:

Maybe Jaden Smith introduced Kim to anime.

Maybe Kim is always mocking Kanye for his normie tastes

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RME posted:

wow i hope they don't bring back the rap from the start of that episode

I hope it's in every episode, and the emotional action climax of the whole series

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Iretep posted:

I think its more sinister than that. The past few episodes have been about character development. Meaning they are setting up so we care about some characters and killing them.

Maybe they're making us care about the characters because the show is about the characters? I wouldn't be surprised if characters die later, because that's been extremely forshadowed, and just outright stated, but I don't think making us care about the characters first islike, some kind of trick the show is pulling

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Understanding posted:

I dunno, they could just have a lower "breeding" class to supply them with pilots. Which could be just hosed up enough for this world.

I don't think they're gonna do that.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I loving called it, this poo poo's been giving me some serious THX 1138 vibes and it's all but confirmed this society might just be as hosed up as the one in that movie.

E: well also it's reminding me of Xabungle's regular humans living in domes because they literally cannot survive the outside environment at all. If that's the case, it's entirely possible the whole point of this test group is similiar to Xabungle's repopulation plan.

Yeah this is a stealth Xabungle reboot/prequel.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xelkelvos posted:

I imagine the other squads are also hosed up in their own ways. 13 is meant to be extremely unique.

From the squad we saw I think most squads are just emotionless boring people, like the old lady. 13 is a pet project by Papa, and there's those 9s who are weird in some specific way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh right, I got Papa and Franxx confused

• Locked thread