Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Service Guarantees Prime Membership

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

also, when a large portion of a restaurant take out their phones simultaneously to play a trivia game with thousands of people and start shouting answers across the room

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lamebot posted:

Crossposting BrutalistMcDonalds from the Alt-Right thread.
https://twitter.com/Bernstein/status/952996240488325120

tbf Harry’s razors are great

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

two of history’s greatest scams combine their forces...

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

e: mobile linking is hard

Scrub-Niggurath has issued a correction as of 20:28 on Jan 30, 2018

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

MizPiz posted:

It's not my fault tech companies are so hosed in the head that it's plausible they'd try to stop rain with a bunch of giant fans

lol you fell for a year old April fools joke from loving Google

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

future cyber church services are gonna be sweet when the drones look like Cherubim with some carrying incense and some with trumpet loudspeakers blasting hymns

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Peanut Butler posted:

very sick burn outta nowhere

Savage

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

woot

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Gum posted:

Yeah but it also doesn't sound like obama

have you heard son of strelka son of god?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

univbee posted:

You know, these bulletproof school accessories have been a thing for a long time. Has there even been one incident of a kid's life being saved by these yet?

no but they’re at least slightly more effective than thoughts and prayers

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Instead of woodworking, kids will learn real life skills like how to treat the various bullet wounds that they’re likely to encounter in their lives

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/faceokay/status/1007037205251067904

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

it blows my mind that any restaurant or other hospitality establishment still thinks that customer reviews are in any way helpful or meaningful

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Al! posted:

hello nypd? please stop and frisk me i think i might be black

v controversial always sunny episode

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

ACAB

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

yep

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i can gently caress two dolls at once?!

mods please rename me The Lonely Orgy

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

lmao literally Urinetown

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is Madden even decent? I would assume the series would go to poo poo due to having a monopoly.

it's like FIFA, some games are certainly better than others but currently they're both in a good place historically speaking

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1040292535778861057

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

lol

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

are you the one person on the planet who has never, ever seen a white person Demand To Speak To Someone's Manager?

having people who are paid to be other people's servants, even on a temporary basis, enables a lot of deeply hosed dynamics

lmao

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

it’s cool how the abject shittiness of American healthcare comes through in every single article, like how the family had to pay $10,000 out of pocket for the wheelchair that the kid never even got to use

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

we live in the shittiest possible cyberpunk dystopia

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

got any sevens posted:

isnt it weird that evrryone in line for coffee, etc doesnt interact except with the cashier. its silent like an awkward elevator

not really, I have absolutely zero desire for random interactions with strangers before my morning coffee

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Saw a billboard today

"The robots cant take your job if you're retired"

Guess I'm real hosed because ill never be able to retire and the robots are going to take my job

gently caress you prudential

I give it 15 years before legal euthanasia clinics start advertising with “It’s only getting worse from here on out”

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

divabot posted:

"99 Bitcoins and an Elephant" is a book for children about the world of bitcoins in 2028!

Obviously, it's going to be frankly bizarre. It thinks it's a book that is literally, in fact, for children - not a satire of the present in the form of a children's book, like "The Ladybird Book of the Zombie Apocalypse". I was honestly wondering if the elephant was going to be demonstrating the horrible things that can happen if you allow yourself to be socially engineered. And what about a Monero necklace doesn't scream "I'm from the darknets, and I'm here to skin you."

The author is convinced he's telling the kids about the fabulous future world, that's coming just a decade away!

It's not the book it thinks it is. Shiny kiddy cartoons of a dark cyberpunk world, where bitcoiners' dreams of a grim meathook Mad Max petrolpunk world have come true. Everything actually sucks and is broken, but everyone from early childhood wears VR/AR glasses everywhere, all the time, to make the world look less broken and sucky. Then the glasses break, and you get the picture below.

sincere and unironic this is the future that capitalists want

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I’m legit curious what’s going to happen to the generation that’s been using the internet and smart phones since preschool. will the access to near-infinite information lead to introspection and growth? or will the human facsimiles of social media provide just enough mental stimulation to keep them self-aware but ignorant of anything below surface level thoughts and ideas?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

wikipedia is hilariously bad at anything that isnt statistics with agreed-upon definitions or scientific information because the only qualifications for having ultimate authority over a page is claiming it and having a long history of editing other wikipedia pages so the ultimate curators are egoistic as gently caress and care more about leaving their curation imprint than making a good reference

this is literally academia

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

why are fat people better to hit than skinny people

push the fat man

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Food Boner posted:

dystopia content - people putting little warm booties on their little dogs is peak dystopia to me not cyberpunk tho i guess

people do this in cities because the ice melt on the sidewalks can irritate their paws or poison them if the dogs start licking their paws

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Algund Eenboom posted:

Walmart active shooter virtual reality training program

Prav posted:

he glossed over the most dystopic part; this is the only way the impoverished employees get to interact with vr tech

the future was a mistake

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/max_read/status/1077936361808773120

a good summary of the internet in 2018

quote:

Everywhere I went online this year, I was asked to prove I’m a human. Can you retype this distorted word? Can you transcribe this house number? Can you select the images that contain a motorcycle? I found myself prostrate daily at the feet of robot bouncers, frantically showing off my highly developed pattern-matching skills — does a Vespa count as a motorcycle, even? — so I could get into nightclubs I’m not even sure I want to enter. Once inside, I was directed by dopamine-feedback loops to scroll well past any healthy point, manipulated by emotionally charged headlines and posts to click on things I didn’t care about, and harried and hectored and sweet-talked into arguments and purchases and relationships so algorithmically determined it was hard to describe them as real.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

This will only affect people who upload multiple-angle high-resolution photos of themselves to social media

Maybe they should just stop doing that

lmao “high-resolution” you do realize that everyone has been carrying around an HD camera in their pockets for years now right

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I haven’t seen the latest season of Silicon Valley but if SeeFood doesn’t eventually return in full force with the power of machine learning I’m going to be extremely disappointed

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

moller posted:

Nurse, ski instructor, other nurse, barista, mario brother

there’s like 3 baristas lol

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Prav posted:

are we suddenly against techworker-enslavement now

just because they’re dumb enough to volunteer doesn’t make it right

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

iot and smart devices are mega garbage, but that's also a common enough statement

i'm more interested in discussing how a landlord can just push this poo poo on all their residents without their consent, and the people who actually live there have no recourse but to break their lease and move (possibly eating big fees in the process)

because consumer privacy protections are a complete loving joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/cflav/status/1087780498049564675