Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

I feel like okcupid would be a lot more enjoyable if all of the lovely match questions were replaced with voight-kampff empathy tests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010
Isn't trump's hatred of windmills mainly informed by the fact that they put them off the coast of one of his golf courses in Scotland and supposedly ruined his view or his property values or something?

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

logikv9 posted:

what the gently caress I thought crypto was dead

It definitely dropped out of the news when it crashed at least

That is not dead which can eternal lie. in strange eons even death may die. invest in cthonicoin today

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010
https://twitter.com/ZachWritesStuff/status/1559155654622945290

Some scary stuff in here.

quote:

The neuroscience of addiction and recovery is rapidly evolving. Rezai and his team decided to stimulate the nucleus accumbens on the basis of prior case studies, but newer research published in Nature has focused on different brain circuits entirely. The study analyzed patients struggling with addiction who seemed cured by the experience of having a stroke. “The spots that came out of our analysis were the very anterior insula and then an area called the paracingulate gyrus,” said Michael D. Fox, the director of the Center for Brain Circuit Therapeutics at Harvard Medical School. These areas of the brain are thought to play a core role in producing the sensation of human subjectivity and sentience. “People have done cingulotomies, lesions to the anterior cingulate, to try and treat addiction,” Fox said. “We think they might have been onto something.”

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

lots of manlets itt

being a manlet rocks actually, because small spoon > big spoon. helps to be gay tho, seems hard to be a hetero-manlet

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

shrike82 posted:

to tie it back to peter watts, i think there was a recent viral tiktok or reddit post discussing that many people don't seem to have internal monologues

wait, do most people have internal monologues most of the time? I thought the moment to moment conscious experience was mainly just abstract thought impressions of vague semantic and emotional content. I'll have an internal monologue if I'm thinking of a specific way to phrase something or typing something out but otherwise why would you need to think in words if you can just think in abstract? How would you ever experience the phenomenon where you're thinking of something but can't remember the word for it even though you know exactly what you're thinking of if you're thinking in words all the time?

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

Azathoth posted:

There are apparently gradiations of this, where some people have zero monologue all the way up to a constant running commentary going on in the brain at all times.

Oh, so it's sorta like the aphantasia scale but for internal speech instead of internal imagery. Seems like it would be weird to have a running commentary going on at all times though. Wouldn't that just be Peep Show?

Edit:

uber_stoat posted:

my brain is constantly talking to me and most of the time i wish it would stop.

tokin opposition posted:

when i have a panic attack the most terrifying thing is the fact that I can't stop inner monologueing and of course I'm having a panic attack so it's all death and despair stuff coming up and it takes a lot of time and a strong sleep med to get me to stop

it reminds me of childhood

Okay this sounds pretty miserable actually. not seeing much benefit from an internal monologue here. I've read about people with OCD raised in christian backgrounds experiencing their compulsions as literal internal voices which they interpret to be from God. I get anxiety and when I've had bad episodes it's like my brain gets 'stuck' on a concept and keeps looping around back into it, but I don't experience it as an internal monologue at all. That would probably make it a lot more unpleasant, subjectively.

A Spherical Sponge has issued a correction as of 02:50 on Dec 11, 2022

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010
wasn't there a case of some woman in a scandinavian country or the netherlands who had severe depression which didn't respond to any treatment for years and years, and they eventually gave in to her request to die because they were literally out of options to help her feel better? I feel like that's pretty acceptable, some very unlucky people just have hosed brains that can only experience misery and are incapable of any positive emotion at all, just like other unlucky people live in constant agonising physical or neuropathic pain without any hope of relief.

I feel like before suicide though, those people should get a waiver which says they're allowed to do as many hard drugs as they like, funded & supplied by the state, in the hopes that maybe something will help them feel some sort of positive experience. I've read about a guy who had severe treatment resistant depression and was going to kill himself, but went to Mexico with his life savings and did a lot of cocaine before he went through with it in a last ditch effort to feel something, and it worked! Depression cured. Better to be dependent on recreational drugs than to die. That woman mentioned above probably didn't get offered a speedball before they approved her euthanasia request, and euthanasia should always be the very last resort.

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

Perry Mason Jar posted:

It's weird that you implied ALS and Lewy Body Dementia are non-physical when the argument ultimately rests on mental illness being physically caused. If mental illness is caused by damage to the brain, or some other physical intractable malfunctioning of the brain, then it can be likened to ALS and Lewy Body Dementia (not the other way around).

I'm convinced this view of mental illness as "imbalance of chemicals in the brain" preceding the illness is wrong though. The idea that depression can be intractable seems especially wrong. "Treatment resistant" in the context of world-historical wealth inequality, environmental toxicity, peak alienation, and general collapse doesn't mean a whole lot.

ALS and Lewy Body Dementia are both progressive diseases that inevitably lead to death, though, and are so severe that they're easily diagnosable from some scans. Stuff like depression is still physical, and not just a chemical imbalance; it's associated with brain damage also, but it won't kill you. But like many mental disorders, even though we know it has a physical basis, we don't have the tools to diagnose it through scans, even if we have a mechanistic theory as to how it's caused which has been supported by animal models or research on cadavers or something.

I don't doubt material conditions also lead to acquired depressive syndromes, temporary or otherwise, but brain development and functioning is complicated and can go wrong pretty easy. There are people like Thomas Liggoti who's had severe anhedonia for as long as he can remember, maybe from birth, by his own account; that's probably not a chemical imbalance, that's more likely a neuro-developmental disorder. If someone can be born autistic or develop ADHD or epilepsy, why is a permanent disorder of mood regulation so different? And it's not like the context of wealth inequality, environmental toxicity, alienation, and general collapse don't also lead to the development of physical conditions either.

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I don't believe, either, that autism or ADHD or epilepsy or anhedonia, constitute conditions so severe that there can be no adaptation (whether individual or societal).

Well I was mainly giving autism, ADHD, and epilepsy as examples of intractable mental conditions with developmental origins, rather than saying that there can't be adaptions to it. Anhedonia, by itself, can be lived with and adapted to, though you might end up with someone like Liggoti, who is well known for thinking human existence is a mistake and we should all commit to voluntary extinction by refusing to reproduce. But anhedonia isn't the only symptom of depression, there's also all sorts of more active, torturous forms of misery, rather than the simple passive absence of pleasure. And who's to say those can't be present developmentally as well?

But they don't need to be developmentally acquired to be permanent, regardless. Like how even if you weren't born epileptic, you can acquire it later on, and it can get worse and worse each time you have a fit due to accumulating brain damage with no recourse on your part, if you're unlucky. Who's to say there can't be a similar process with depression? Sometimes social, individual, and/or pharmacological interventions just don't work and there's nothing you can do.

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

atelier morgan posted:

i think its pretty clear that the people opposing the idea are doing so because the canadian example is to skip any and all social, individual or pharmaceutical interventions and just kill the poor and disabled to save money and not the idea itself in any wide philosophical sense

No, I'm pretty sure PMJ at least was disagreeing with the idea that mental health conditions like depression are capable of justifying euthanasia, because they said that they don't believe that mental health conditions like depression can ever be truly intractable:

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I'm convinced this view of mental illness as "imbalance of chemicals in the brain" preceding the illness is wrong though. The idea that depression can be intractable seems especially wrong. "Treatment resistant" in the context of world-historical wealth inequality, environmental toxicity, peak alienation, and general collapse doesn't mean a whole lot.

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I meant depression specifically there, not necessarily conditions like it. Although I would maintain the same for GAD, most trauma associated illnesses, most compulsive disorders, et al. Something like ADHD is likely to be intractable. I have a CPTSD diagnosis which I'm told is intractable illness but I don't buy it frankly.

I have had depression and GAD in the past, for several years, with suicidal ideation, but I haven't experienced it for years now. But just because it was tractable for me, that doesn't mean there aren't people for who it is intractable. What makes something intractable or not has to do with the physical basis of the condition, and stuff like GAD or depression are defined by the presentation of symptoms rather than any specific cause, which will vary from person to person. Someone might have a case of depression where the underlying cause is treatable, and another person may have a case where it isn't. There's no reason to think there won't be cases where someone has developed a condition which has damaged their brain in such a way that they're doomed to psychological anguish for the rest of their lives, with no hope of relief. They'd be very rare but they almost certainly exist.

But the only way to distinguish them is by trying literally every possible treatment and seeing if any of them work. All the stuff you mentioned, for example. but also stuff like illegal drugs, imo. ketamine works pretty well from what I hear, there was that cocaine guy I mentioned, psychedelics might work so long as your therapy centre isn't a front for the CIA, MDMA is thought to be especially good for CPTSD. I'm only in favour of euthanasia as long as it really is a last resort and someone has tried literally everything else to alleviate their suffering, or to at least figure out a way to manage it and find something to satisfy themselves existentially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I got a spinal tap and now I have strange fibers growing from my unbroken skin!!

why are you comparing the possibility of nerve damage from a spinal tap to morgellons 'disease'? There have been 100% been cases of people suffering permanent damage to their spinal cord from stuff like spinal taps or epidurals. They even mention it on the surgical consent form you have to sign before getting one.