Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

CREATE (value for our service without getting paid) DON'T HATE (the game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

MaxieSatan posted:

isn't this a dahir insaat video
Says so right there. It's a whole cycle of reporting on Dahir Insaat unironically, getting called out on it, pretending it didn't happen and then reporting again once your disposable journalists get replaced with fresh hires.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Mass media made society run on fear. I tear up watching old tapes of people just chatting up strangers

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

w00tmonger posted:

Pretty sure this fits here. Their GitHub repo is getting hammered right now

notepad++ free uygur edition

https://github.com/notepad-plus-plus/notepad-plus-plus/issues jesus there's hammered and then there's hammered

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Carry around a second phone for the sole purpose of showing to police

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

why call them out? so they can prepare in advance for the investigation?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

etalian posted:

Let's change the lettering of our company from blue to gold
Even worse, I think that's millennial pink.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Beto's CDC past has the shittiest "grown up to be the thing you hate" conclusion outside of hippie Woodstock Hillary ordering to make war not love two decades on

http://textfiles.com/groups/CDC/cDc-0031.txt

Young Beto posted:

Remember, we are the next generation, and will soon rule the world.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

it's the bully forcing you to pay for the privilege of getting beaten up

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Recreating MGS4 irl. Your Nerf guns are no longer your own!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

loving techlords thinking any area not yet covered in smartphone chips is in the stone age. We've got dozens of methods to do delayed release in drugs, all purely chemical, ingenious and tuneable for specific patients; but you can't sell THAT to venture capital, not without a promise of future employers being able to incapacitate their workers remotely at any time

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It is hilarious how most smartphone addiction thinkpieces online are clearly posted by the twitchiest notification-addled motherfuckers. You don't see gutter drunks acting like rehab experts

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

A pretend surveillance camera. Just giving the kids a safe taste of their future, like with those little plastic burger cooking stations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

still mad I went through all the steps of feature phone addiction before it became socially acceptable

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah she's got the "rich person wants to feel like a benefit to society" blues and is pretty serious about criminal justice now

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I guess nobody wants to touch it because it at least feels like a government program - and if it's some right-wing militia, why disturb God's work :smith:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

mawarannahr posted:

For Christmas, Jeremiah didn’t ask for any toys. Instead, he said he asked Santa for a perforator and shrink wrapper.
It's a dumb little thing but it pisses me off that these aren't considered "toys" because they're not corporate-approved plastic bullshit

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You'd think the star coders at Google would bother to implement an upload date check

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Realizing how much I enjoyed looking out of a penthouse suite window and drinking whisky in VR-modded GTA V was loving scary. This is the future of consumerism, just pretend luxuries to enjoy in your dustbowl bunker. And I'm gonna sign up for it :shepspends:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Pirate Radar posted:

virtual whisky or real whisky
Virtual whisky, of course, it's more immersive.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You believe because you've seen the ring. Blessed are those who haven't seen the ring but believe

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Rhesus Pieces posted:

lol well that’s the end of openly making GBS threads on politicians, pundits and the powerful

once this goes into effect twitter will be nothing but zero-response-allowed promotional tweets and bullhorns for assholes who shouldn’t have them
The endgame is verified accounts writing their own replies (using a selection of procedurally made fake accounts, you could use presets for general public response and work from there), putting together a zen garden fantasy of the public loving and agreeing with everything they say. Might be a good path to monetization if social media interns use that to boost metrics before their bosses wise up

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Sir, this is a- is this a business proposition?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Koishi Komeiji posted:

https://twitter.com/fakechanel/status/1217487612258267137
It's like the mirror from snow white except it calls you ugly and tries to sell you stuff. And it's from amazon, a name you can trust.

Amazon isn't even making these, just acting as the Western Aliexpress equivalent and putting external sellers on a list made to look like their own store. They know how well "got it from Amazon" works to override the public consciousness to make it seem like they're too important to regulate

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Boomers bragging about their dumb homes in the replies, but it's clearly an old unit (late 80s maybe?) designed with a different housing density in mind, this is more "landlords being cheap poo poo and forcing people into mutually upheld misery".

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

endlessmonotony posted:

The education system's role is pretty irrelevant - it's just that when you don't routinely use a skill your brain stops reinforcing the connections and it fades away.
Could also be brains being more malleable in your, well, formative years, and the interfaces kids use just to stay up-to-date with their peers on media consumption have changed - we had a relatively short period of overlap between consumer and professional, it's over now

:( we've already got younger and younger people in need of hearing aids, nobody loving plans long term. Your city's supposed to protect you from noise pollution!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I cross my arms if I can't feasibly move the mouse around on someone's setup and am told it looks hilarious

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Helen Highwater posted:

Re; waterchat. I live in Bangkok and the water isn't safe to drink from the tap. If you go to the Municipal Water Authority's website, they'll show you a bunch of audited studies proving that the water they supply is safe to drink. That's true, but then it goes through several kilometres of pipes of differing vintages and maintenance levels - only some of which are under the direct control of the local authorities.

Kinda same, I trust my local gov to do everything in their power to give me good water, I don't trust the developer who laid the last meter of the pipes in my apartment

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Ahh yes, the extermely loyal democratic strongholds of [checks notes] South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, and loving Texas.
They didn't say these are blue states, but that the democrats in those states skew right-wing. Also did a double take at that sentence

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Eh, it's possible that they haven't tested the idea with any phone, because they haven't had any masks made yet - the website is just stock photos of faces overlaid on stock photos of masks without any warping (look at the second closeup). If this is just an attempt to grift investors that doesn't plan to ever make a working product, I guess it's fine

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Inceltown posted:

The idea of having a mask that could be used to fool facial recognition software is appealing.
https://arxiv.org/abs/1803.04683

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Skippy McPants posted:

Finally, being an introverted recluse paid off!
I'm only pissed that I got poo poo for web browsing on my :spergin: feature phone before it became socially acceptable

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Kitfox88 posted:

what i'm gathering here is if we make a bunch of left-wing fake news stuff then we can force them into action lol like that'd work

One of the Macedonian click farm guys mentioned that in an interview way back, centrist fake news would just have a top-rated debunk posted in the comments and die off, you need your poo poo to spread quickly to make money

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Armadillo Tank posted:

They end up triggering the "you're fat alert". Its great.

W-what's the you're fat alert :ohdear: Is it when you fail the first difficulty check?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Truly mass media is the new golden calf

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Heralding their eventual role after the agrarian revolution.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The most dystopian part of this is how Zoom managed to plant itself as the genericized term for teleconferencing. All those idiots worrying about security and quality, when all it takes is having the shortest name to pronounce.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

bike tory posted:

lol this just reminded me that on release the Apple watch heart monitor didn't work on black people, which they hadn't realised and actually still didn't because the issue was found by white people with wrist tattoos. I don't know if they've fixed this or not.
The "measure every fiber of your body" device did not have period tracking at launch

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

bring back old gbs posted:

cyber punk is goign to friggin rule and im buying a $800 GPU to play it
That's the worst part. I want it to fail so much, but obviously it's going to be a great game I'll enjoy immensely, and that pisses me off even more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Class Warcraft posted:

Maybe I'm thinking of a different facial recognition thing but I could have swore I remember hearing about something similar about a year ago and it turned out that they had trained it using mugshots for the criminals and what the big fancy computer had learned was really just whether a picture is a mugshot or not.

quote:

remember that chinese ml phrenology study?

their criminal dataset came from mugshots and their non criminal set came from white collar promotional headshots

"the authors find that their algorithm can classify criminal faces with 90% accuracy … algorithm finds that criminals have shorter distances between the inner corners of the eyes, smaller angles between the nose and the corners of the mouth and higher curvature to the upper lip"

they built a smile detector