Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
https://www.jpost.com/arab-israeli-conflict/gaza-news/guardian-of-the-walls-the-first-ai-war-669371

holy poo poo they invented skynet as an excuse to kill palestinians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Griz posted:

https://futurism.com/neoscope/home-genetics-test-dog-human

this was a human DNA test kit. the animal ones are even less regulated.

I wonder if there are some SNPs that are common between humans and dogs and the company just said "gently caress it, give a report with what we got". Though they don't seem to give the raw data results for download, so no way to check how broken the sequencing became. They might just fabricate everything for all we know.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Honest Thief posted:

how did that dude who was in the news for having his monkeys nfts "stolen" got got, did someone just closed down the hosting?

somebody offered him "tech support" for his wallet

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

the state of machine vision now means you could fool it by writing "US Soldier" on the front of your gear

I do wonder if this was helped by the fact that Apple is the company that makes iPods, you can see it's already leaning towards iPod in the first picture with 0.4%. Probably wouldn't work at all if you wrote Zune on a piece of paper and stuck it to the apple.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Skippy McPants posted:

Fun cross-post from the Hardspace: Shipbreaker thread. It's a game about being trapped in debt slavery by a megalithic corporation, but apparently, it's unions that're the real threat!

https://twitter.com/Gender_Thief/status/1465325841458647056

I can see where they come from if they bought a game about dismantling space ships and the story comes in the way of their goal of dismantling space ships

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

just another instance of science "news" and scientists hyping their discoveries out of proportion

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

https://twitter.com/HUGEBIGMILK/status/1466087654345347083

AI-generated shills are out in force against antiwork. Look at the earrings.

I myself can't shake the feeling that /r/antiwork is fishy, but I can't ignore my own eyes, and if it is ultimately controlled oppo, I don't understand their end-game.

while it’s plausible that it’s AI generated, that noise anslysis means gently caress all - it was originally supposed to be used to see where a photo had been edited, assuming that the source was a jpeg and the final edit was also a jpeg of the same resolution, but it’s been used by idiots going «this is shopped, i can tell from the pixels»

also AI generated images go straight from raw output to jpeg so there isn’t anything to analyse with that method anyway

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

seems to have produced a response tho

also I feel death threats against imaginary beings are fair game

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Assumptions a plane autopilot can do that no self driving car can:

- assume that the runway will be clear of any obstructions on both takeoff and landing
- assume that the air corridor/"road" between takeoff and landing will be clear of any obstructions
- assume that the air corridor/"road" will always be there and have not been taken away by, like, a landslide
- assume that if anything out of the ordinary happens, at least one competent pilot will be ready to handle it
- assume that all other pilots in the sky are either automatic or somewhat competent
- assume that any planes on collision course will be handled by a completely different system

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

I mean, the autopilot assumes someone else has done the job, and does not have cameras and code to specifically deal with obstacles on runways. A self driving car can never assume those things and that makes it magnitudes harder to do.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Centrist Committee posted:

sometimes I wonder if a thousand years from now schoolchildren will look on our time with horror at the torture inflicted on machine learning algorithms, conjured into an existence of continuous exposure to the worst content the internet has to offer, dammed to a exist at the limits of electrical throughput, before being unceremoniously destroyed and replaced by the next iteration of forced evolution

boy do I have a short story for you

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
imagine all the E-waste when these devices each stop functioning after 1-2 years

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Waffle House posted:

idk, for all my perceptions of cheap, that looks like mostly plastic with minimal copper and solder.

and we all know plastic waste is harmless

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
it was a bit funny when I joined an «electricity prices are too high!» group (we have a bit of power crisis in europe) and all ads for like a week were loan offers

I guess living alone means they don’t have any voice keywords from me to datamine

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Eulogistics posted:

Why do all NFTs look like poo poo? Why don't people make NFTs with art that's pleasing to look it?

the dumb explanation is that the most profitable series looks like poo poo so they hope to clone the success

there are tons of nfts with good art, mainly because it’s stolen from actual artists

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Abongination posted:

What does any of this mean?

some person stopped responding to girls when chatting on a dating app (not sure he even met any of them IRL) and girlboss tiktok decided he was satan and attacked and named him

then BRANDS decided to join the bandwagon

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
hooking up over telegraph? it's more likely than you think!

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Wired_Love/BjAOAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

BattleMaster posted:

uh do cryptocurrencies actually use encryption? I thought they were just cryptography-themed because they use hashes but in a way that isn't cryptographically useful

they all use public key signing, how else would someone prove they are allowed to move coins when the blockchain is public?

edit: more specifically they all use elliptic curves for signing transactions and having the private key to an address means you own the coins on that address

this is completely unrelated to mining which is just doing hashing over over again until a specific number of bits at the start of the hash is zero

ymgve has issued a correction as of 04:24 on Jan 28, 2022

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

eSports Chaebol posted:

I feel like I read this exact story in wired about some VRML thing. nothing new under the virtual sun

I think it was a MUD.

The story feels a bit fake though, especially the thing where they took screenshots and sent them to her.

In any case, any virtual world absolutely needs a way to instablock any user, and it’s insane if Facebook haven’t implemented that yet

ymgve has issued a correction as of 06:33 on Feb 2, 2022

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

The Lone Badger posted:

It happened in Second Life, but it probably also happened lots of other places.

It definitely happened in SL too (and would be something more close to «real» virtual rape since animation scripts can take control of your avatar and use it in actual animated sex, instead of Facebook’s Crossworlds where it was at most creative use of nonsexual gestures)

But the thing I was thinking about was a MUD: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Rape_in_Cyberspace

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

30.5 Days posted:

Excuse me, that was a MOO.

look up what MOO means

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
We have taught computers to solve programming competition problems, soon they will take all our jobs

https://www.theverge.com/2022/2/2/22914085/alphacode-ai-coding-program-automatic-deepmind-codeforce

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
The lack of legs is also because they can't know the state of the user's legs, and if they just guess it might lead to VR dysmorphia.

Or it could be part of a sinister agenda to prepare us for the de-limbification of the masses. That is the only thing that can explain this completely unrelated Comedy Central series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqNKz1ohnN4

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

at least you get to keep your legs in this fantasy world

I hope

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
dishwashers are a peacemaker if you don’t live alone

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

The Bloop posted:

If you mean the inventor, Dean Kamen, he is actually p cool and also alive

He has invented some really amazing poo poo including the ibot wheelchair, of which the segway was a developmental offshoot

I assume they mean the CEO who died driving his Segway off a cliff

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Facebook Aunt posted:

You might want to double check your source, because there is no such breed as golden labs. There are golden retrievers and labrador retrievers, but they aren't the same breed. Similar temperament and both very popular breeds, so it could be either one.

I think that was the point, since it's a reply about .22 being the most lethal bullet. lots of bites but probably less bites per million dogs than some other breeds

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

note that if the "cloud" didn't exist, the same number of servers and same energy usage would be in the offices and colocation facilities around the world. it's just centralized.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Rutibex posted:

no one was watching the cameras in 1984. Winston even points out there are way more cameras and microphones than people, it would be impossible to watch them all

thankfully today the panopticon can just preserve all the camera recordings until they need to get you for something

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

uber_stoat posted:

[Cyberpunk Dystopia] We hope you wore clean underwear. You are entering a virtual worldom...

rip Tracy died of bitrot.

she's actually fully preserved, which is more than can be said about holo-hatsune

https://archive.org/details/girlfriend-tracy-adult-version

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Antonymous posted:

in a unrelated thing I just realized that the USA has greencard quotas for every country but for some reason the EU counts as its constituent countries, not as one country, and the already obvious racist logic is sorta too out in the open

uhhh, what would the alternative be? consider EU a single giant country even though it's not? I don't see the racist logic in treating countries as countries

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Antonymous posted:

the US limits some green cards/visas to be something like

only 7% issued can be to any single country

So even though maybe 20% of people applying are Indian, they can only get 7%. But if you're from Lithuania you basically do not need to worry about this quota

It's a policy that uses a logic, not a sound logic mind you, that coincidentally means that europeans can migrate to the US in much greater number because europe's history has led its territories to retain semi-nationhood

I still don't see the racism in this though. If you replaced Lithuania with Eritrea in the above, wouldn't the situation be exactly the same? Also wtf is "semi-nationhood"? European countries are nations. There is no semi about them?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Tether's dip didn't even reach a single percent, so it's not really in freefall like that charts makes it look. I think it's just the extreme fear in the market driving selling to a point where elasticity of buying volume is noticeable. Tether will probably not crash today - but it might soon.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

but seriously, isn't the act of finding rocks that look like faces, and collecting them and putting them on display, in itself art?

and in the same way, isn't finding an interesting description of an idea, then running it through dalle till you get one you especially love, an act of art?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Should have the followup question: Do you WANT the employee to make an effort to know you?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
from a technical perspective it's the right thing to do, you don't let the AI continue to steer the car once it detects a situation where it's not in control

but lol if the lawyers try to argue that in the last ten minutes before the collision, the AI only was active for 9 minutes and 59 seconds of them and therefore is clearly not at fault

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Is LaMDA even retaining state between sessions? Like, when he was "training" the AI to meditate, did he just fall for something like the placebo effect?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Remember how they somehow managed to crash a top secret helicopter type in the raid that killed bin Laden?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
sadly fake

https://twitter.com/elonmusk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Farm Frenzy posted:

I've seen vids of this type of stuff for so long that I assume that it's just an inherently bad idea or else it would've caught on

probably requires a ton of cleaning, and even if it's just a few minutes, no one wants to stand around waiting for the vending machine to do its thing