Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
who am i
Tama Momochi
a poster on the somethingawful adtrw subforum
View Results

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Eiko sure is shooting her shot, huh

only to be completely slam dunked on by sensei, like the backboard is broken too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
yo this show gay

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sensei's voice actor definitely sold the "I am way too drunk" voice.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The whole show's just really well acted and animated all around. I really liked Eiko's insistent "Oh-hai-i-yo-go-za-ii-ma-SU!" the next morning.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
So, the red-eyed salmon onigiri girl... why does she grab Tama and run off? Or rather, I assume she runs off because she's embarrassed, but what's Tama got to do with it? (got to do with it)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Agronox posted:

So, the red-eyed salmon onigiri girl... why does she grab Tama and run off? Or rather, I assume she runs off because she's embarrassed, but what's Tama got to do with it? (got to do with it)

I think I saw a twitter thread somewhere that basically said that it's a nigh-intranslatable pun of some sort, though I forget where I saw that or what the specifics were.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
When I asked in the chat thread I got this:

Beato Believer posted:

Her full name is Momochi Tamate, which apparently is associated with the word Tamatebako, which is a reference to "is the name of a mysterious box that in the Japanese folk tale "Urashima Tarō", a parting gift that the fisherman Urashima Tarō receives from mistress of the sea". So I'm guessing it was an obscure reference/pun about Tama's name and fish (and I'm relying way too much on wikipedia for all this).

Now someone can come in and tell us what it really meant.
That certainly qualifies as untranslatable.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Ah, tough puns, the bane of any English-speaking anime comedy fan.

I also feel like this show is underwatched :mad:

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Agronox posted:

I also feel like this show is underwatched :mad:

:same:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Miki-desu

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

(somebody has an album of all of them, here: https://imgur.com/a/Ob2yb )

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I watched the ep and I can think of a few reasons why a yuri mangaka made a gag where two girls come back to a classroom and one is glowing while the other is fatigued

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Are you saying they had...a close game of mahjong? :blush:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sindai posted:

Are you saying they had...a close game of mahjong? :blush:

I laughed

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This might be the most real and sincere anime ever

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I was trying to think of a “if you liked THIS, you might like Slow Start” and the best I could come up with was Kiniro Mosaic.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yuyushiki is probably the closest comp I can think of.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Agronox posted:

I was trying to think of a “if you liked THIS, you might like Slow Start” and the best I could come up with was Kiniro Mosaic.

It's not incorrect

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Agronox posted:

kiniro mosaic comes close briefly in that ayaya and yoko have their moments, and honoka is eventually elevated from "random classmate who feeds karen" to actually going on a date with her in season 2 and joining the main cast. but rather than looking at other anime, slow start reads to me most like a lot of yuri doujin for established franchises where the story and motivations are already part of the original work so the doujinshi just focus on the character interactions the author wants to see.

it's not "let's kiss and make out" like sakura trick, it's way closer to the other 4koma gag kirara stuff. but where the girls in hidamari are usually talking about arts and crafts and their chill apartment life and new game is about working in game development, and sometimes these have perverted gags and relationship building, slow start is just founded upon thirst and gay girls, it doesn't really concern itself with anything else for long. the premise is important to only hana's character and doesnt concern the rest of the cast outside of interacting with her. their daily conversation either starts with or leads into what panties eiko is wearing or what clothes kamu forgot to wear or whose 'sauce' they're drinking. it's pretty amazing in that regard.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The whole scene with Eiko in Kiyose's apartment definitely read like something out of a doujin to me.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Slow Start is its own douj.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chumbler posted:

Slow Start is its own douj.

Perhaps the same could be said of all fiction

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
speaking of douj, the manga has some good moments that the anime mysteriously skips, like one of their classmates asking Eiko if she finally got someone pregnant

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Slow Start is most similar to Yuru Yuri and New Game! in that the canon pairing is Everyone x Everyone Else

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this was an episode of slow start

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
what a great beach episode

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Part of the fun of this series is asking yourself during the episode, "How thirsty will this be?"

A shame to see production values declining though.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kamuri insisting that the hole was for your tail is doing nothing to curb my impulse to assume that she's literally just an older Kanna Kobayashi.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Shion is right, it is adorable.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
:same:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I appreciate Shion's first suggestion to Hiroe being to unbutton her top

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Even though the gap year thing is still an incredibly stupid thing to be this anxious about, the fake out still got me.

I wish this show was about Eiko tbh. Shes so drat smooth.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

what in the actual gently caress, untucked was 100% better

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nephthys posted:

I wish this show was about Eiko tbh. Shes so drat smooth.

I like how Eiko literally can't not put the moves on whoever she's sharing a scene with. I don't think she even knows she's doing it sometimes.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Sorry Eiko, you may be good, but sensei is now 2-0.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tama yet again increases in power.
http://0x0.st/sagu.webm

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Tama is clearly the reality-controller who created this universe.

Agronox posted:

Sorry Eiko, you may be good, but sensei is now 2-0.
Eiko is top of her league but sensei is in the pros.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I appreciate Tama's supportive Grandmothers :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sindai posted:

Tama is clearly the reality-controller who created this universe.

Now I want a Qualia the Purple anime.

• Locked thread