Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
than our current president? I've been mulling this over in my mind and I think the odds might be above 50%, which triggers an automatic process in the Constitution which does it.

Things to keep in mind:

• Given poverty and population density, odds are good that the person selected will be a bum with a mental illness
  • Bums have to taken care of themselves and survive on the street which is hard, so they deserve your respect
  • Whoever gets selected gets to be surrounded by handlers and shot up with the finest drugs America can produce
  • Don't forget The Shadow President

So where do you put the odds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Mods please fix the typo in my thread title, ty.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

I dunno man. May i direct you do a wonderful street documentry named Jaywalking by Jay Leno.

You will find that your average man on the street isnt so bright.

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TheDon01 posted:

I dunno man. May i direct you do a wonderful street documentry named Jaywalking by Jay Leno.

You will find that your average man on the street isnt so bright.

So do you think the odds are like 1%? More than 1 in 100 people off the street could do a better job? Or fewer? I'm not watching a Jay Leno documentary, that sounds like something the CIA uses for torture.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Realistically most random people off the street would in practice just reflect what advisers of their general political persuasion told them. A liberal would listen to the Democratic-affiliated advisers and vice versa for a conservative. And this would probably have a similar outcome to most of our actual past presidents.

It would basically be a trade-off between two things. On one hand, there would be higher "volatility," in that there's a higher chance of a random street person being a Trump-esque individual, but also a higher chance of them holding left-leaning attitudes that aren't palatable to the wealthy people who always become president under our current system. On the other hand, you would probably have a higher chance of liberal presidents simply by virtue of there being significantly more left-leaning Americans than right-leaning ones (our politicians are currently disproportionately conservative relative to the population).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Are we only counting people who are constitutionally eligible?

Or are we talking a Tweenage President scenario?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If the president is a six year old girl, and declares herself a pretty princess, does that trigger a constitutional crisis?

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
well presumably most people wouldn't be president for the express purpose of theft and ethnic cleansing, so probably pretty good imo

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

Are we only counting people who are constitutionally eligible?

Or are we talking a Tweenage President scenario?

Let's say constitutionally eligible but they don't have to be a registered voter or anything like that, let's give the bums a shot.

null has issued a correction as of 09:49 on Jan 16, 2018

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

Realistically most random people off the street would in practice just reflect what advisers of their general political persuasion told them. A liberal would listen to the Democratic-affiliated advisers and vice versa for a conservative. And this would probably have a similar outcome to most of our actual past presidents.

It would basically be a trade-off between two things. On one hand, there would be higher "volatility," in that there's a higher chance of a random street person being a Trump-esque individual, but also a higher chance of them holding left-leaning attitudes that aren't palatable to the wealthy people who always become president under our current system. On the other hand, you would probably have a higher chance of liberal presidents simply by virtue of there being significantly more left-leaning Americans than right-leaning ones (our politicians are currently disproportionately conservative relative to the population).

Interesting analysis. I'm into advantage gambling (poker and sports betting) which is why I started thinking about this topic.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Tunicate posted:

If the president is a six year old girl, and declares herself a pretty princess, does that trigger a constitutional crisis?

in this scenario, id prbabky side with the monarchists in tge ensuing civil war because, hell, that,s cute

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
powerful thought op

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
If we are allowed to count on everyone just ignoring a worse person and doing their jobs their own way because the president has no real base of support to worry about then I'm thinking 100%.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

null posted:

Let's say constitutionally eligible but they don't have to be a registered voter or anything like that, let's give the bums a shot.

i think you just want a random bum to be president and you know what, same

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

cuntman.net posted:

i think you just want a random bum to be president and you know what, same

You know what, I think you might be exactly right. At the very least I'd like to bet on a bum being president and have it be +EV (little advantage gambling joke there to see if we have any refugees from the bygone poker forum in the audience).

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Chances are good, even if that are a bum. Someone who has fallen into drug addiction and alcoholism is easily suggestible but probably not a narcissist. At worst they will probably just listen to their advisors and do whatever they tell them to. That's gonna get you a middle of the road status quo president.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
depends whether the obvious issues that homeless have stack up vs. the obvious dementia trump has, but i'd say if you took a random person off the street, just some random person, there's an 80% chance they'd do better than at least 60% of the average political candidates for that position, because they would be keenly aware of their own ignorance on the subjects they're legislating on, whereas almost every major political figure is insanely arrogant, and actively does not give a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

rudatron posted:

depends whether the obvious issues that homeless have stack up vs. the obvious dementia trump has, but i'd say if you took a random person off the street, just some random person, there's an 80% chance they'd do better than at least 60% of the average political candidates for that position, because they would be keenly aware of their own ignorance on the subjects they're legislating on, whereas almost every major political figure is insanely arrogant, and actively does not give a poo poo

It's a good point. Most people would be aware of their own limitations and allow themselves the benifit of expert advice. I remember a presidential election, either 2012 or maybe 2008 - hell, it might be 2004 - that had a thing where the press asked the questions in the first and last presidential debate, and the public were allowed to ask questions in the second one. The public's questions were a whole octave more intelligent and sensible

What I'm saying is that even in a world where at least 20% of the population is crazy, chances are good OP

• Locked thread