Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Boogalo posted:

I need to get around to watching awful block.

Highlight of the whole event.

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Maybe this year I'll do some more speedrunning.

Maybe this year I'll actually do more routing for Ultionus and figure out if it's faster to just skip the shops or to go buy the upgrades and if it's better to buy offensive or defensive upgrades.

Maybe I won't do any of that and I'll just keep shitposting in here about how I'm finally gonna do the above 2 things.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

After chilling with Aquas a bunch I want Gimmick to be my first speedgame (after completely failing at startropics). I've spent a couple hours every evening this week just trying to finish it casual and am up to the last area. This is gonna be a journey. The gimmick folks are all super nice though.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Boogalo posted:

After chilling with Aquas a bunch I want Gimmick to be my first speedgame (after completely failing at startropics). I've spent a couple hours every evening this week just trying to finish it casual and am up to the last area. This is gonna be a journey. The gimmick folks are all super nice though.

game owns

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Ravus posted:

I wonder how many submissions SQDG will get for Odyssey, they are going to be legion.

I know a situation like Breath of the Wild SGDQ 2017 won't happen again, but I wouldn't be mad if it did happen with Odyssey.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

You guys forgot a speedrun for the OP

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

We only communicate in pastebins around here

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Maybe this year someone will upload a full speedrun of Circa Infinity.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Should have been "Speedrunning Thread - Avoiding sloppy seconds"

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

s.i.r.e. posted:

Should have been "Speedrunning Thread - Avoiding sloppy seconds"

Speedrunning Thread 5.7-Avoiding sloppy seconds

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Speedrunning thread - Sloppy Seconds Skip%

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

NESCard is getting a sub-train and it's awesome. He's had quite a boost since his Dragon Warrior run at AGDQ.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
finally got to watching the DKC reverse boss order and what the hell

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

This is something I’ve posted about in the AGDQ chat thread a few times this year (and in previous years too actually), so apologies for anyone tired of hearing this from me.

I’m not a speedrunner and I don’t really know much of the speedrunning community, but I do enjoy watching them sometimes, especially watching the GDQ events and every time I do I’m inspired to try speedrunning a game which is always something specific close to me: Star Control 2.

The problem with this is that I’ve only ever played the game casually many, many years ago in a friends 3DO. Naturally as I haven’t played it for years I would learn as much as I can casually before learning speedrunning techniques. I also don’t have a 3DO so I would want to run the Ur Quan Masters free PC port.

A problem with this is I think the Ur Quan Masters isn’t officially recognised by the community because it’s an unofficial port of the game - I’m not 100% sure about though, but I do remember reading a topic on one of the speedrun websites about this once a couple of years ago.

However I cannot find much information on actually speedrunning this game, with techniques and whatnot, and I can only find a few runs of it on YouTube. I’ll admit possibly I’m not looking well enough or in the right places for information.

My questions: with a game with little information and a few runs, what would be the best way of learning it? Study the videos there are and try to replicate what they do and see if I can contact the runner(s) to ask for advice?

Like I said at the start this is something I’ve thought about for some time now but I am unsure if I could even manage to do it, I am a casual games player, I don’t usually stick to a specific game for long after completing what I want to do in it, so maybe I’ll not actually end up even speedrunning this. However I think I’d like to try!

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
https://twitter.com/GoldenSRL/status/953872668129972225

It's that time again! The 12 hour challenge! That time where people attempt to learn a speedrun in 12 hours, what with all the new blood from AGDQ18 I figure this might be a good opportunity for some. The theme this time is "Motion Control" and you can interpret that as loosely as you want to or just ignore it completely, it's not like the theme is enforced or anything, learn whatever you like! Be one of the 50 people who will be extremely dull and put themselves down for Mario Odyssey or Galaxy or something and laugh as the No More Heroes community cries itself to sleep!

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

:eyepop:

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
The 12 Hour Challenge is a good time and I highly recommend it. I did SotN any% and Elevator Action Returns for the past two years and had a lot of fun.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

RoboJoe posted:

This is something I’ve posted about in the AGDQ chat thread a few times this year (and in previous years too actually), so apologies for anyone tired of hearing this from me.

I’m not a speedrunner and I don’t really know much of the speedrunning community, but I do enjoy watching them sometimes, especially watching the GDQ events and every time I do I’m inspired to try speedrunning a game which is always something specific close to me: Star Control 2.

The problem with this is that I’ve only ever played the game casually many, many years ago in a friends 3DO. Naturally as I haven’t played it for years I would learn as much as I can casually before learning speedrunning techniques. I also don’t have a 3DO so I would want to run the Ur Quan Masters free PC port.

A problem with this is I think the Ur Quan Masters isn’t officially recognised by the community because it’s an unofficial port of the game - I’m not 100% sure about though, but I do remember reading a topic on one of the speedrun websites about this once a couple of years ago.

However I cannot find much information on actually speedrunning this game, with techniques and whatnot, and I can only find a few runs of it on YouTube. I’ll admit possibly I’m not looking well enough or in the right places for information.

My questions: with a game with little information and a few runs, what would be the best way of learning it? Study the videos there are and try to replicate what they do and see if I can contact the runner(s) to ask for advice?

Like I said at the start this is something I’ve thought about for some time now but I am unsure if I could even manage to do it, I am a casual games player, I don’t usually stick to a specific game for long after completing what I want to do in it, so maybe I’ll not actually end up even speedrunning this. However I think I’d like to try!
You're making some unfounded assumptions here, friend. No worries about using The Ur-Quan Masters - it's been embraced by the entire Star Control 2 community, including Fred Forde and Paul Reiche III themselves, who outright called it a better way to play the game when talking about why the Star Control games had been delisted from GOG.com. All three runs on the Star Control 2 leaderboard on Speedrun.com use it. In addition to that, there's Bisqwit's TAS of the DOS version. So the game has been routed, and there's been tech developed for it.

And if it wasn't?

Then your approach should have been a step by step process. What do I need to do to finish the game? Destroy the Sa-Matra. What do I need for that? Getting the Utwig Bomb and freeing the Chmmr. How do I do that? Get the Sun Device. And so on. And then you figure out - what's the most efficient way of doing all this? How much RU do I need to collect? How often do I need to return home and refuel? What modules do I need on the ship? With such an open world game with a lot of objectives to attain (maybe not the best kind of game to start your speedrunning career with, but anyway), there's a lot of routing decisions to make. What objectives can I hit up on the same trip? Can I do things in such a way that when I hit a certain region of space, I can do several things there at once? And, of course, the most important thing in Star Control 2 speedrunning - figuring out how you can make sure that you hit the QuasiSpace portal on the first cycle with the Warp Pod collected, to get the Portal Spawner asap. And that, most likely, is where you'll spend the most time - until you have a 100% consistent setup for that (which might already exist in the runs that have been made - I haven't actually watched them but that's about as far as I got when trying to casually run the game), most of your runs will end when the QuasiSpace portal closes before you reach it.

I wish you the best of luck because Star Control 2 is one of my absolute favourite games of all time.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

I'm an old washed-up speedrunner of Alien: Isolation - haven't actually done a run of it for a couple of years now, but I still follow the runs and such. There's been a bunch of progress since I last posted in the last thread about it, but lately the community has re-coalesced around the way the game was run before we found out we could clip through walls, though there's an 'all missions' category that uses clipping that is still a little popular. That said, the classic, masochistic, all missions no crouch clipping nightmare runs are getting a bit of a resurgence as the community realizes that if any% is lame we don't have to do it.

Anyway, I said all that so I could post this: one of us did a commentary over the current WR of the funner category - which is still 2 hours 33 minutes. I'm not kidding about us all being masochists. I haven't watched it all the way through yet, but it does a good job of explaining how the run works and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjHaTRChcWc

(For the record, the any% record with clips is 10 minutes 11 seconds, while using an FPS toggler to make the clips easier, and 23 minutes 46 seconds without the toggler.)

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
No.

Always just reach the credits as fast as possible regardless of how lame it is

Especially if you can just select the credits from the main menu

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I've finally updated my avatar. AGDQ 2018 was truly something special.

Maybe this will be the year I finally try to speedrun something!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

DizzyBum posted:

Maybe this will be the year I finally try to speedrun something!

celeste comes out in 5 days

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

https://twitter.com/GoldenSRL/status/953872668129972225

It's that time again! The 12 hour challenge! That time where people attempt to learn a speedrun in 12 hours, what with all the new blood from AGDQ18 I figure this might be a good opportunity for some. The theme this time is "Motion Control" and you can interpret that as loosely as you want to or just ignore it completely, it's not like the theme is enforced or anything, learn whatever you like! Be one of the 50 people who will be extremely dull and put themselves down for Mario Odyssey or Galaxy or something and laugh as the No More Heroes community cries itself to sleep!

The theme is "Set in Motion" tho :v:

This might be a good time to pick up that Vice City any% run back or maybe I'll jump into Jedi Academy and see how that goes.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

RoboJoe posted:

my suggestion is to just buy a 3do. get an fz-10 if you want to get the least fussy model, get an fz-1 for swagger, get a goldstar if you are a loving dipshit who makes terrible decisions (this is me btw).

this way you have a really cool hard copy of the game with a rad star map and poo poo, plus you have a weird obscure console nobody has heard of which itself actually has a stunningly good library for a flop console, like the 3do is prolly second to the tg16 in terms of good libraries on failed consoles. no joke.

also once i get my 3do out of storage i'ma start running star control 2 as well. game fuckin rules. love that momentum-based space combat :swoon:

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I've always been confused as to why game with time trials never get picked up in the speedrunning community. I play Trials and I've always wondered why these communities are so separated.

Anyway, it'd be cool to speedrun Bomberman Hero but I don't think they take kindly to emulation so I'll probably skip out?

Agoat fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 20, 2018

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Agoat posted:

I've always been confused as to why game with time trials never get picked up in the speedrunning community. I play Trials and I've always wondered why these communities are so separated.

Anyway, it'd be cool to speedrun Bomberman Hero but I don't think they take kindly to emulation so I'll probably skip out?
I think it's cause the community for a game actually likes playing the game or going for in game times, while speedruns would skip half of the game and fly by, timing it externally. I think Trials specifically have an active speedruns community, with runs appearing at gdqs and Esa.

For streaming emulation is A-OK, getting a run verified usually does require to run it on original hardware. Or you might get on the leaderboards but with an adnotation of *ran on emulator*, that's it.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

https://www.speedrun.com/bhero/full_game

I would check the forums or any discords that are hopefully linked there about Emus. Really depends on if you want to run it for fun, or get a time on the leaderboard

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Nintendo 64 emulation isn't really at the point where you can properly compare a run done on emulator with one on hardware, would be the main issue there. As far as I know it's really only NES and SNES that have attained 100% accurate emulation currently.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Ps1 emulation is basically 100% accurate to the console experience

its poo poo either way

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
gymnast86 found a way to skip the RNG bullshit with the fairies at the end of the WWHD any% run. I think that's a run that, as a result of that skip, may get a LOT more interesting in the coming months as more people decide to pick it up due to no longer having to deal with potentially a half hour or more of RNG crap.

Here's the clip where he reveals it on stream: https://clips.twitch.tv/AliveDaintyHamMoreCowbell

Edit: Since the clip doesn't explain what he is doing exactly, the thing he kills with the bow doesn't drop a heart unless killed by the sword. Before the clip, he buffered an input to hit it with the sword but have it stick to Link at the same time. He was then able to use the leaf to blow it up onto that platform. Because he hit it with the sword during the buffered input, the game thinks he killed it with the sword even though it actually died when shot by the bow. Hence, it drops a heart and the zombie hover works.

Abisteen fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 21, 2018

aquaticrabbit
Aug 2, 2004

Abisteen posted:

gymnast86 found a way to skip the RNG bullshit with the fairies at the end of the WWHD any% run. I think that's a run that, as a result of that skip, may get a LOT more interesting in the coming months as more people decide to pick it up due to no longer having to deal with potentially a half hour or more of RNG crap.

Here's the clip where he reveals it on stream: https://clips.twitch.tv/AliveDaintyHamMoreCowbell

Edit: Since the clip doesn't explain what he is doing exactly, the thing he kills with the bow doesn't drop a heart unless killed by the sword. Before the clip, he buffered an input to hit it with the sword but have it stick to Link at the same time. He was then able to use the leaf to blow it up onto that platform. Because he hit it with the sword during the buffered input, the game thinks he killed it with the sword even though it actually died when shot by the bow. Hence, it drops a heart and the zombie hover works.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/220601181?t=4h31m20s

Here's a link with the setup. This is awesome. Can't wait to start watching any% runs of this again.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Agoat posted:

I'm not sure I understand the question, really. Plenty of communities in speedrunning have robust Individual Level scenes, they just don't crop up at marathons because IL attempts suck a lot of rear end to watch.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

KennyMan666 posted:

Nintendo 64 emulation isn't really at the point where you can properly compare a run done on emulator with one on hardware, would be the main issue there. As far as I know it's really only NES and SNES that have attained 100% accurate emulation currently.

Genesis (and CD and 32X), GB/GBC/SGB/GBA, Master System/Game Gear, Intellivision, Colecovision, Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Lynx all are accurate enough for that too. GameCube and Wii are also extremely close.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I was surprised recently at how bad N64 emulation still is. I thought messing with a host of plugins and different emulators all day for an individual game to work without problems or glitches would be ironed out by now.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Former Human posted:

I was surprised recently at how bad N64 emulation still is. I thought messing with a host of plugins and different emulators all day for an individual game to work without problems or glitches would be ironed out by now.
As far as plugins go, GlideN64 covers a lot of games that have previously been problems, like Body Harvest and Rogue Squadron, as well as effects that haven't been done right previously like the custom lighting in Majora's Mask and Acclaim games.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Yeah I'm using BizHawk (Mupen64 core) with GlideN64 and Glide64mk2 and there's still a lot of weird issues like water textures in Goldeneye.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I don't have the energy to screw with these things anymore. :corsair:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Former Human posted:

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I don't have the energy to screw with these things anymore. :corsair:

Probably not. N64 emulation just isn't very good comparatively.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Agoat posted:

Same result, different journey. And it's not like they don't get picked up. The Trials games were run more than once in past GDQs. I'm more of an IL runner also, but would you rather TGH had done an individual level showcase of DYE or string them together in a much more impressive run of the entire game?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Former Human posted:

Yeah I'm using BizHawk (Mupen64 core) with GlideN64 and Glide64mk2 and there's still a lot of weird issues like water textures in Goldeneye.

You need to use CEN64 or the MAME experimental N64 driver to get accurate emulation. The problem is you currently need absolute beasts of a machine to run either well and they're both still pretty incomplete.

Basically N64 emulation had a good 15 or so years where there was nobody seriously working on emulating the drat thing correctly, instead of hastily hacking together what amounted to individual patches for each game to make them work. But the CEN64 and MAME teams are each doing great work to get everything documented and implemented first, and THEN go back and try to make things run efficiently while still compatible.

Here's a video by some of the CEN64 devs if you want some serious background info on how they do it and why its different from before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvr6-6U0ck8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is CEN64 still alive?