Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I've finally updated my avatar. AGDQ 2018 was truly something special.

Maybe this will be the year I finally try to speedrun something!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Hello, I just happened to see the games list was posted! I'm just generally excited about GDQ and speedrunning and I already can't wait to shitpost with all you goons again. I have no strong opinions about OOB glitches.

Crazy that Super Smash TV got in. I was just thinking about that game this morning completely out of the blue, and here it is on the schedule.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Nep-Nep posted:

Would you rather your run be at assless o clock?

Oh gee look at the time *glances at watch which has 2 muscled bear arms for hands*

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

This is a good lineup!

I don't know who Krystal is but :lol: at people that try to fake scores in niche games like IIDX. The community is small enough that anyone lying about scores will be found out eventually.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

https://www.speedrun.com/bl1/run/z13e22gm

So uhh

10 minutes and 30 seconds in, just skip to that point and watch for about 30 seconds.

Can't wait to see this in a future gdq lmao

Speedrunning is Good.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

axeil posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A95VLkNW6tk

:stare:

holy poo poo this TAS is completely destroying Kirby's Dream Course, a game I could only beat with Game Genie codes as a kid.

Completely unrelated to speedrunning, but I just solved a mystery that's been bothering me since I was a kid playing this game.

One time I was at a hotel with my parents, and they had a game rental system available which would let you play games that were loaded from a central server in the hotel. I remember playing Kirby's Dream Course, and being unable to get past the first world because the game wouldn't let me recover any health from killing enemies or clearing levels.

I just happened to think about it now, and then I looked at TCRF to confirm my suspicion: it was an anti-piracy mod in effect because it wasn't being played on a legit SNES!

https://tcrf.net/Kirby%27s_Dream_Course#Copy_Protection

I wish I could remember what that system was called. I also played a lot of Super Punch-Out on it.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The Kins posted:

I remember reading about this ages ago, so it wasn't too difficult to dig back up: It was the Nintendo Gateway System, which was a part of the LodgeNet hotel entertainment service.

Oh poo poo, that was it! Yeah, I remember playing on the system with the black controller and the blue buttons. Crazy stuff. Thanks for the info!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I support medical marijuana.

Also, 420% completion lol!!!!!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Hold on, I saw like 100 new posts in here, what the hell happened?

Crotch Bat posted:

GDQ is evolving right alongside Twitch in the "don't ever for any reason do anything even remotely close to possibly being in consideration for maybe being something that someone, somewhere, in one of the multiverses considers offensive". It is astounding what Twitch is up to these days in an attempt to almost completely sterilize the platform of any remotely interesting personalities.

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

:yikes:

The rest of you are just the best, though. Can't believe it's only a month until another livechat thread!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

It's very hard to beat PJ's Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 run with the Hype vs. Silence bidwar.

Also, with the announcement of Metal Wolf Chaos XD, I now have to rewatch Murphagator's SGDQ 2014 All Cutscenes run.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Why make a new shitpost thread when we can just use this one

it'll save time :twisted:

I disagree with this

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Boogalo posted:

Battle toads and double dragon is out because Mecha can't make it due to family stuff. PJ playing BCR2 is in instead with the hype mode incentive.

Aw dang. :( At least it's being replaced with something we know is amazing.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Thread is not HYPE HOIP enough. :colbert:

Anyway, I definitely agree that we at least need a livechat/shitpost thread.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm vainly hoping for another donation comment shoutout to the chat thread. That was a great little moment. :3:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

MURPHAGATOR! posted:

A lot of things happened in that thread. Most of which should probably be left to history (but probably wont)

SGDQ was a blast though.

It was a Fine Thread. Lots of good vibes.

Shoutouts to Team PLC; you guys are great.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

Banning A-presses is A-OK though.

A-not-OK. :rimshot:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Hobojim posted:

Just recorded my first speedrun! The world-record holder tuned in to watch and everything, it was fun. I'm now officially the 23rd best Startropics player in the world. :smug:

Link here if anybody's interested.

I've only been running the game for a couple of weeks, and I made a bunch of mistakes in this run. It's about two minutes worse than my actual PB but I wanted to get a time on the board.

It really is a fun game.

I followed your Twitch and I will watch this later!

I don't know if I'll run Startropics but I'm always happy to watch something for the sake of "childhood vengeance".

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

UraniumAnchor posted:

GDQx games list is out:

https://gamesdonequick.com/submission/games-list

I got Metal Storm on again. First Loop hasn't been on in four years. :toot:

Grats!

Hell yeah I'm hyped for SM/LttP Randomizer. It's so meta it hurts. :getin:

SotN Blindfolded was such a great run last time, even with the controller issues, so I'd love to see that again.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I finally finished watching the FF6 run from SGDQ, and with that I've gone through all of the runs I wanted to see. I still have to watch the stream ending, the finale, and the highlights video. Then I can catch up on ESA!

I'll try to watch some of this over the weekend! :toot:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Studio posted:

https://photos.gamesdonequick.com/SGDQ-2018/i-SQ9kGp7
GDQ Pictures Are Up, Nerds Bow Your Heads in Shame.

Good album :allears:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Hobojim posted:

There's a local speedrunning event this weekend in Toronto if anybody's bored.

https://twitter.com/NeoRussell/status/1030168535291621376

The final timeslot should say "Games Finished Adequately Finishes Adequately".

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

new adventures in team PLC breaking things in new and creative ways, before they even start the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPWm6k6DGq8&hd=1&t=480s

edit: I am not exaggerating when I say Team PLC Duck Game videos are literally my favorite thing on the entire internet.

I watched like half of this last night and they are a very excellent cure for depression. I love PLC Duck Game.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Boogalo posted:

I was bored and found the vod timestamp from a clip. Someone with that name was in his chat and got gifted a sub.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/290774177?t=2h15m50s

If you wait a few minutes (right after where Sephiroth cuts down Tifa), he writes off the actions of the people in chat as not being his responsibility. Like... okay yeah, you can't govern the lives of people watching you. But when you have a platform like that, you also have the chance to set an example and promote goodwill.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

submitted to gdq

probably not gonna get it but like

hey

i thought speedruns were cool and i finally did the thing and got a competitive time in a semi popular game and am putting myself out there to try to get into the event that inspired me to do it in the first place

so

that’s cool

Excellent... The goon invasion continues.

Good luck!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

fishmech posted:

Let's just revert all speedrunning to comparing times posted on everyone's personal site like this

I used to host Diddy Kong Racing times on a Geocities site. 3 hits a day, bitches! :whatup:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Jackal?! YEAHHHH!!!

:lol: at the transition from Mega Man block to Awful Games block by way of Mega Man (DOS).

I'm excited to see FF4 Free Enterprise and I hope they do something funny with Zeromus.

Looks like a pretty solid lineup.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

:eyepop: I love how the game freezes because it can't render the map fast enough.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

speaking of routing I'm kinda frustrated because this guy on the forums keeps coming up with sound routing suggestions but keeps getting stonewalled by the inanity of the ruleset. Guy thinks we could increase difficulty to Hard at some point to try and force Tektite drops in a convenient fashion and skip some grinding later, sounds good, except the ruleset specifies you can only use Normal for drops unless the game absolutely requires it to progress (the game will force Easy mode on you at one point because of this so the rule is worded to skirt around it), but apparently it is specifically Normal, not Normal and above. There isn't a straight "do whatever difficulty" category of the game and I may have to change that at some point because there's good suggestions trapped behind stupid difficulty posturing going on here, like anyone gives half a gently caress about how ~skillful~ your JRPG'ing is

I 100% agree; this is a stupid arbitrary rule. Adjusting the game difficulty is baked into the game mechanics; there are different drop tables for every single enemy/boss on every difficulty and you can change at any time among any of the difficulties you've unlocked.

TWEWY is one of my absolute favorite games and I think I'll be watching the Final Remix runs closely. Also I'm happy to hear that 1p2c is a legit category because of how co-op works in Final.

e: well I suppose there's also an argument for not allowing Easy unless it's forced on you. I didn't consider that. I really should play Final Remix already.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 22, 2018

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I like to occasionally browse tasvideos.org and check out their Recommended and Tiered runs, especially the Moons and Stars.

I've probably been looking at that site for over a decade now.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

There's lots of astoundingly good joke TAS out there on Nico and mirrored onto YouTube that aren't on TASVideos but they're hard to find and occasionally hard to understand without some Japanese on you.

I will always recommend the one of International Track And Field where the legendary ANKIMO makes a mockery of all things sport: https://youtu.be/0boIUXHrWoY

I've posted this one before though, I ought to dig around for something fresh.

:lol: This is still very much worth a rewatch.

e: The Pole Vault "WASTED!" always gets me.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 29, 2018

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

SeXReX posted:

Power Up With Pride just announced the schedule for their winter marathon coming up December 6-9, lots of fun stuff in here, should be a blast.

https://horaro.org/wp18/schedule

Looks like a great lineup!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

What a shitshow.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Studio posted:

Did y'all spot the KevinDDR in the tweet chain?

:dawkins101:

e: VVVVVVV Yep, that's him

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Well I just got caught up on the drama bomb. :wtc:

I really don't have anything new to add to the discussion. I'm still going to watch and support GDQ. That's all I got.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

UraniumAnchor posted:

Keeping most enforcement discussions internal to GDQ makes us look a lot less active than we actually are. Even in this thread there's a lot of either outright incorrect information (not lies, just people getting stuff wrong) or speculation about things that I can't address. I have to be careful even discussing things that I think are 'public knowledge'.

Thanks for remaining professional about this. I mean that sincerely.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Oh my god Matt what did you do :gonk:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Having been to these things I can sympathise with why PMG is pissed about it all because I overheard plenty of disparaging remarks about specifically her just from hanging around the loving hotel

and I'm just a random observer I'm not even the one it's being directed at

That's awful.

In all honesty, what does one do in this situation? Do you straight-up confront these people and say "hey that's really not cool"?

axeil posted:

gamer culture outright hatred and hostility towards women and especially transwomen is sickening and why I do everything possible to avoid identifying with "gamers". If anyone in the real world calls me a "gamer" I immediately correct them because I don't want to be lumped in with those monsters.

They might also hate transmen but I never seem to see the vitriol that gamers have for transwomen directed at transmen.

Gamers are the truly oppressed. #RiseUp

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 29, 2018

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

a simple "cmon, really?" Is sometimes enough to get them to regret their words and deeds. If these people are in insular enough communities, like the elite, its possible theyve never had any kind of pushback at all ever to saying these kinds of things. If they double down just deck them lol

I'm not a confrontational person but I am definitely a "Really??" kind of guy; I can at least do that much.

Not gonna start punching people for saying dumb things, though. That's counter-productive.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah I hope PUWP will be a nice palate cleanser and in the meantime GDQ gets their poo poo together for January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm glad they're acknowledging this.

I'm still looking forward to AGDQ '19; I'm not going to stop supporting them immediately because I feel like that would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater. But the next year is going to be very important for GDQ and I sincerely hope they improve as a result of this.