Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Surprise T Rex posted:

Capitalism for you, Twitch makes more money off the dude than they do off banning him so he stays.

In other news: just watched the FFVII run and it was awesome. Are there any other "must see" marathon runs with commentary that good?

Which is The FFVII run? I've always meant to watch someone run that game, and if there's a run famous enough to get italicized, that seems like the go-to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

iPodschun posted:

I believe it's this one from SGDQ 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWgb-Jrk5tQ

Awesome, thanks!

Exceedingly long runs are definitely a niche thing. I've found JRPG runs are good for throwing on a second monitor or tablet while doing something repetitive or that doesn't require full concentration. Since a lot of what's interesting in the run is the commentary, it essentially becomes a podcast where you occasionally pause and rewind to see something get executed.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

heehee posted:

what could they possibly do to make a speedrun leaderboard worse lol

Need to improve your times, gamer? Try our premium SpeedForce membership to get access to all the hottest strats and most detailed guides to the games you love to run. With SpeedForce, you not only get the leaderboards free to all Speedrun.com members, you can view the VODs of runs with leaderboard times within five places of you, so you can learn from the competition and really turn up the heat. Or, with SpeedForce Titanium, you can see every VOD submitted to our leaderboards, read detailed guides, and gain access to Discord servers dedicated to mastering your favorite games. Don't wait, runner - early-bird membership is a limited time offer, so secure your SpeedForce fast.

*Titanium membership applies on a per-game basis. To view complete VOD archives, purchase an additional membership per game, or, for a limited time, grant us access to two or more social media accounts for promotional purposes. We promise not to retweet any more racists!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Four-player co-op Super Metroid with a randomized world layout is quite a thing. This is like video game modern art.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
This Axiom Verge run is excellent, well-executed and great commentary. Never played this game, but the runner makes it very accessible if you know metroidvanias at all.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
This might be the best commentary I've heard for a Metroid Dread run, Frost Fatales off to a strong start. Anyone know what a Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep run is like?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
This Birth by Sleep run has an incredibly comfy energy and is also Very Silly, can recommend.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I keep forgetting that kungfufruitcup is ridiculously good at Beat Saber. The noodle maps showcase is pretty wild even for someone who's only played BS a couple times.

Also, anyone looking for one of those classic comfy-couch goodtimes Pokemon runs, absolutely check out the Pokemon Colosseum run from earlier in the week, it's got everything you could want.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Phant_TV is doing a Club Nintendo Super Metroid route on Frost Fatales and this route is… a thing :psyduck: Powerfully comfy vibes, can recommend.

They’re working toward an Inscryption run of all things, and I cannot imagine what that looks like, but I’m excited to find out!

Edit: fess up, which one of you sent in the dono with the “it’s more likely than you think!” meme in it :colbert:

Kestral fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 5, 2023

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Retrothon has been a good time so far, this Grey's Anatomy run is good comfy energy, can recommend.

... and now I see a seven hour Dragon Warrior IV run on the schedule :psyduck: How is the any% route seven hours?!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Is there any way to go back and watch Retrothon content we've missed before it goes up on RGLtv's youtube? I've just noticed their channel doesn't have the full-day VODs that I'm used to from GDQs, and I'd love to see some of the stuff I've had to miss.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Yessss, thanks TeaJay!

Prism posted:

You can manipulate it for brief periods (mostly by getting the battle AI in a loop) but yeah there's not really any major shortcuts. You just gotta do the game.

"You just gotta do the game" is honestly one of my favorite forms of speedrunning. It's cool to see a game get dismembered by sequence breaks and glitches and such, but a lot of the time I just want to see someone play basically the same way you would casually, but perfectly. The same impulse as watching a lot of Olympic sports, come to think of it: everyone knows what lifting a big heavy object, so even if you've never done serious weightlifting you can appreciate what's going on when someone manages to get the bar over their head.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Even if you have no interest in the run, watch the Earthbound PK Scramble's first few seconds from when they start the timer, lmaoooo

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
My therapist: Tooth Raphael isn't real, it can't hurt you.

Tooth Raphael:

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

YggiDee posted:

My favorite games for those "You just gotta do the game" kinds of runs are the completionist 3D Mario games, there's usually glitchy components but they're like 90% Mario just being the most acrobatic fucker alive.

:yeah:

Mario 64 is the only one I ever actually played so the others are basically incomprehensible, but Mario 64 the perfect example of that dynamic. Do the flips, Mario!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Reporting in from Retrothon: Rygar PAL Any% is extremely normal, I repeat, extremely normal.

:psyduck:

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
BigJon is running the Mario Shuffler on Retrothon right now and it's incredible, gods bless this man.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I'm so ready to :orb:

What's everyone looking forward to on this schedule? I'm intensely curious about a Ring Fit speedrun, and beyond that, my highlights are looking like:

Kingdom Hearts Final Mix Any% Proud Race
Final Fantasy IV Pixel Remaster Any%
Pokemon S/V with eddaket
Pokemon Colosseum with swiftalu
Darkest Dungeon
Elder Scrolls Anthology
Silent Hill: Homepour All Bosses NG+
Thief Any%
StepManiaX Showcase
Gauntlet Any% co-op
Sifu WUDE Any% (Master)
Super Mario Maker 2 Relay

And of course, the GOAT: Pepsiman any%

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
The runner for Super Metroid was explaining the concept behind the A-Button Challenge category while Ridley was screaming and game volume was set pretty high, so it was unintelligible. Was anyone able to make that out or know how it works?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

A Real Horse posted:

If you are able to watch the Ultima First Age of Darkness speedrun on RPGLB right now, you should. Organmike is running with their daughter Charlotte as copilot and it is absolutely adorable.

"Fwighter!" oh my god this is adorable.

Edit: "Nine more! I have enough fingers."

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
This Pokemon Alpha Sapphire vs Omega Ruby race is great if you like pokemon runs, perhaps unsurprisingly since Corvimae is in it and her runs are consistently haunted and funny. Also, Pokemon runners saying "PP up" will never stop being funny.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
If you thought the BotW blindfolded run was impressive, I beg of you, check out RPG Limit Break's Kingdom Hearts 3 Blindfolded Yozora (Level 1 APC) showcase - actually, check out the entire showcase before that, because it gives context to just how utterly insane this is. Very possibly the most amazing thing I've ever seen at a marathon. This might only be fully appreciable if you've played some of the harder Kingdom Hearts II or III boss modes, but even without that, you can get a sense for how ridiculously hard it is to do sighted, let alone blindfolded.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's just an incoherent policy. You can't combine "masks are optional" and "if you get sick you're out". That has the obvious consequence of people getting sick and refusing to admit it, and then going out without a mask and infecting others. Just make masks mandatory.

This, exactly.

I'm all for strong COVID policy, not only GDQs but in society at large, and I'm the guy in the GDQ threads being a downer about people going unmasked and railing at the erosion of the event's safety standards as we memory-hole the pandemic. But this? This isn't strong COVID policy, it's literally the opposite because it actively disincentivizes cooperation. I don't believe for a second that anyone actually sat down and tried to come up with a COVID policy that would work for the spread of the disease, but if they did, it would probably look something like this. Have we already forgotten that there was a mass outbreak among originating from the Mario runner who was only masking while on stage, but was openly practicing maskless a few meters away before that?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

Bunch of video game rejects are smarter than virologists. Right. Gotcha.

They were epidemiologists, but yes, actually. It made the news earlier this year for the sheer irony of an epidemiology conference having an outbreak of COVID because their precautions were in fact less stringent than a GDQ when GDQ was taking it seriously. Over 200 confirmed infections, likely many more that went unreported.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

SeXReX posted:

e. Can't believe I have to be the first one here to point out that a game called C.B.T. got accepted

It is my fondest wish that this be given a late-night slot so the couch / runner can Make The Jokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
They made the joke in the best way possible, gods bless GDQ