Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Kaubocks posted:

:captainpop:

hot drat, WW Any% has come back to life

The problem is, the consistent strat loses 30 seconds to a successful fairy run. As soon as someone gets a record less than 30 seconds off a sum-of-best, the category is dead again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Kikas posted:

This door is coded that way cause right when you enter a trigger, an AI wil start moving and go through that door. Because so many things in the HLengine are tied to framerate, at certain framerates, the door would just gib the NPC. So that door is set to heal, cause you shouldn't be able to reach it anyway, and that way it won't gib the NPC, no mater what that framerate.

Why wouldn’t they set the damage to 0? It sounds like, in casual playthroughs, that could end up making the soldier have 4000 health instead of Gordon.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

KariOhki posted:

It's okay, I lost and forfeit my first match because I forgot to hit a button in Ice Palace that spawns a chest, and that chest had the Bow in it.

Today I saw two different racers forget to go back to the back end of the escape sequence after they got a bomb, and both times it held progression.

Ice Palace is really loving confusing if you’re looking for items. Your best bet with it is to count your items and go back if you didn’t get three.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Similarly, all three sword upgrades can be in GT, which is “fun” when it happens.

Or, if you want it to be as evil as possible: Cane on GT torch, vanilla boots, hookshot behind Armos 2, GT big key locked by the cane, green pendant at Swamp, and the swords at pendant Vitreous, pendant Trinex, and the pedestal.

e: Or better yet, put the medallion to get into Mire on the torch, and put the cane in Mire, along with the sword. That’s a mandatory triple-dip into GT.

Double Punctuation fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 17, 2018

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Okay, no, I have it. Hookshot behind Armos 2, pendant Argas gives Boots, Mire medallion on the GT torch, Red Cane in pendant Mire and Vitreous has the Turtle Rock medallion, GT big key locked behind the Cane switch, Ice Rod behind Moldorm 2, and the Sword upgrades at green pendant Trinex, Sahasrala, and the pedestal. It’s a mandatory triple-dip to GT, all dungeons are mandatory with no sword upgrades, and you can’t go straight to Ganon after Aganim 2.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

drat it, Chrome’s new autoplay policies broke tehurn.com. This is an outrage! I’m switching to Firefox immediately.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Phone posted:

There is a thing as too much editing. 7 minutes in and there have been 5 title cards now?

It's intriguing on it's own, but someone needs to revoke that license of Adobe CC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x24TvcWJOJM&t=99s

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Zereth posted:

... what

why.

The shopkeeper has to give you something. He can’t give you an upgrade worse than what you have, so he gives you the only other thing in his shop.

mfcrocker posted:

not rear end Chest?

The fact that the major point of the routing changed from a trick called “HOLD R LOL” to one called “rear end Chest” should tell you how loving ridiculous this game has gotten.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

synthetik posted:

The Celeste 114% speedrun is super long, but really engaging.

That 3A. :negative:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

UberJew posted:

yeah she was doing like, streaming all her time all of it no matter what and chatting and that does not fit with the TWITCH BRAND of streaming so off she went

They’ll also ban you for streaming stuff like Baten Kaitos 100%, which is partly why stuff like Really-Long-A-Thon are things. Otherwise, you’re using their bandwidth for no benefit to them. You need a partner if you want to do 24-hour marathon streams (though that rule gets enforced way less than it probably should). Robots like SaltyBets and TPP are okay since stuff is actually happening in them and admins can jump in if things break.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Dancer posted:

Treat me like I'm stupid. How is that less benefit to them than a random teenaged 3-viewer Minecraft streamer?

Because if they made you have a minimum viewer count, they wouldn’t be able to get any new streamers, because that’s how you start out on the service. You’re accomplishing something, even if it’s minimal, by doing that. Streaming yourself idling in a game or your Facebook feed isn’t going to get you any new viewers, and that means no ad money for Amazon to offset their bandwidth costs.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Golbez posted:

I'm sad those folks, or anyone else, haven't tackled another horribly long 100% run. I enjoyed the Oblivion run, checking in from time to time and watching them panic over a missing Nirnroot.

I think it would have been faster to include the DLC, because then you don’t have to worry about the Nirnroot. (One of the ones in a DLC house respawns, so there is no longer a max, meaning the Nirnroute only needs enough for the potions.)

Overall, that was a fun marathon run with lots of ups and downs. Seeing them get hit by the bug with the Thieves’ Guild ring and Sanguine’s quest was heartbreaking. Then you have the slow realization that there was an option to turn off grass in the menu, which would have made a ton of things easier to find. The best moment had to be counting the map markers, and the eventual, frustrated conclusion they came to.

Also, did anyone ever solve the puzzle with the Ceiling Gifts? They admitted they made it way too hard, but they never gave out the solution.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

They should do Animal Crossing 100% but like, no codes, just Tom Nook scumming (*do not do this)

I.e. spend several hours duping items in your house and do nothing else.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Golbez posted:

Oh dear, I don't remember, what happened?

The wiki turned out to be completely wrong and listed too many locations for the base game. This took several counts and recounts for them to figure out, which was further hampered by their lack of sleep. They ended up opening another copy of Oblivion during the third attempt at Nirnroots, and I think they ran the tmm command to prove that they had found them all.

Pretty much everything they were worried about happening did happen at some point during the run, except for trainers dying unexpectedly, which would have killed the run. Some other things: The worst time loss aside from Nirnroots was having to redo Sanguine and Thieves due to the bug with Castle Leyawiin. At one point, the online map they were using crashed, so they had to use a lovely map that wasn’t zoomed in far enough. Having to smell a bucket full of harsh chemicals and sit in full Arctic gear for 30 minutes at a time didn’t help them, either.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Is there a highlights video of that because it sounds terrible and hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CQHtAo37mY&t=1769s

29:29

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

I think you mean, “Gawd!”

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

The best moment in chat was Color A Dinosaur, when somebody discovered the emotes were displayed in full resolution, and one of the whitelisted emotes was gigantic for some reason. Chat immediately seized the opportunity.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

e: What the gently caress was this post?

Double Punctuation fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jun 20, 2018

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

SeXReX posted:

Video evidence is over rated.

All speedruns should be live in front of me

The TwinGalaxies Method

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

fadam posted:

Is there any advantage to emulating games on a SNES Classic versus just using Retroarch or something?

You get Starfox 2 with it, and I don’t think there’s any other legal way to get Starfox 2.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

RoboJoe posted:

Oh I see, that sounds really interesting, I didn't know any of that! I'll check out that retro thread for sure.

Still somewhat disappointed about not really being able to do a lot of the glitches and things with the LttP that's on the SNES classic though because I really wanted to try doing some speedrunning with that. Hopefully other games on the system would still be okay if I felt I liked the games enough to want to try learning those.

I have been wondering if it would be possible to make a patch file to convert the LttP/TotG ROM on a Japanese SNES Classic to 1.0. Of course, there would be no patching the English version, since there is no English 1.0. You’d have to distribute the entire script, fonts, and any other Japanese-only assets, which would be just as illegal as distributing the ROM. However, I would think it would be a lot easier and cheaper to import an SNES Classic than to find a 1.0J cart, which go for hundreds of dollars.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Roflex posted:

This is apparently new. I guess I just need to get the run under 12 hours now. I could export it in 15 minute chunks but I'm not sure anyone wants a 60-video playlist (and I sure don't want to put it together).

I bet their backend is a fork of FFmpeg, and FFmpeg tends to bug out if you feed it too many chunks at once. (Try using a VOD downloader on GDQ streams for an example.) 12 hours is a pretty reasonable limit IMO.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm pretty sure ff6 is the snes rpg equivalent of skyrim in terms of just being so goddamn huge with so much to do. Not in terms of story, graphics or bugginess since it's way better than skyrim in all those aspects

If by better bugginess, you mean has better bugs, then I agree. The airship glitch alone is loving ridiculous in how much of the inner workings of the game it reveals and how much you can break. Keeping various characters as moogles from the invasion sequence, getting Banon in your party permanently, having General Leo visit his own grave, making characters ride around on rafts everywhere, spooking Kefka to death with the power of ghosts and mimes, and time travel, to name a few.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

BRB, firing up Unity to make a game that you can’t go fast in without doing something really obscure in game to spawn an invisible platform. What you do depends on your Steam ID, but it will be the same speed for everyone so it’s fair. Gonna submit it and get all the records.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

bare bottom pancakes posted:

Tuned in just in time to see a wayward bot shitcanning the whole operation, forcing the runner of the game to stream from their own channel while staff frantically attempt to contact their tech person -- who had just gone to bed. :allears:

I was looking through the VOD and found an Ooompa-Loompa dancing in front of an EarthBound battle screen while playing WarioWare. Seems like a pretty cool marathon.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

I wonder if they’ll split the FFIX run again. I think the longest unsplit run they’ve done was FFVII at 7.5 hours.

Speaking of long runs, this seems like a bit too much Zelda. TWWHD 100% does not sound very interesting compared to any%. And ALTTP OHKO low%? Geez, I know it’s Andy, but that’s about the riskiest run I’ve seen.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boFt7oBvMqo

im linking this mostly cause its funny to me they made an hour long video for a less then 5 minute speedrun

The TL;DR: This is about 84 frames off a perfect run, and a human will only save about 21 of those, all in 8-4. The other 63 frames are 3 frame rules that are TAS-only, so you would need ungodly luck or new tricks or setups to save more than 1/3 of a second off the current record.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Well, time for Rockstar to C&D every modmaker but the one actually making the hack.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

wife dead, so what

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

You may find yourself on a silent hill,
With a dead wife,
And you may ask yourself,
“Well, how did I gold here?”

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

420 Gank Mid posted:

really saves the best for last

150 IQ? Pretty low for a speedrunner. I hear the average is 200.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Guys, maybe we should just click the Report button on the literal nazi and ignore its posts; then we can talk about fun things, like that Really Really Long-a-thon.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

I see they’re doing that FFVII run that was at a GDQ. The GDQ run will be hard to top; the couch had good color commentary about the game to fill in dead air, while the runner maintained step count for 7 hours!

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/tgh_sr

I'm up with The World Ends With You on your friendly local speedAAAAAAAAAAthon. It'll be a grand old time, I'm sure.

https://twitter.com/Succinct_Punchy/status/1069101477271166976

Well, poo poo, the VOD just got muted literally the second I got to that part.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Don’t forget that the run uses a step route. The runner maintains step count for pretty much the entire run. This game isn’t grid-based like Dragon Warrior; he had to run and walk for precise amounts of time in precise directions for 7 hours, and there were no backups to fix his encounter tables if he failed.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

So with Rando cheating, aren’t there programs that can generate the spoiler logs from the ROM, thus eliminating the need to stream snipe? And wouldn’t you still be caught because your routing will, taken over time, make no sense otherwise?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Col. Roy Campbell posted:

I managed to find this:

https://streamable.com/pmqq7

Warning: it's very anticlimactic.

It's weird that this gets him banned rather than all his other poo poo. Don't get me wrong, he's an rear end in a top hat and deserves this but it's like catching Al Capone for tax evasion.

He’s clearly not racist; he’s just a fan of Jackie Chan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsJIUJjQ4OA

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the only popular speedrunner i watch a lot is spikevegeta and if it ever came out that he's a shithead i'd be fuckin crushed

Spike has said on-stream he supports trans rights, but he doesn’t like discussion of serious issues like that in his chat.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Funnily enough, the random fairy method is still faster if you can get it first try, since you have to carefully maneuver an enemy into place with the leaf using the consistent setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah Forbidden Memories iirc. It predates the actual card game and has bonkers rules, and part of the non manip speedrun is memorizing dozens and dozens of fusion combinations be it's the only way to get good monsters without manips or tons of grinding.

Yup, the game is pretty unique in that you can combine cards to get better cards. The strat is to load up your deck with lightning and dragon cards and a few intermediate fusion cards, which will produce Twin-Headed Thunder Dragons with around 2500 attack (versus 8000 player life points), 4-5 equips that boost attack by 500 each, a few water spells for a beneficial field that adds another 500, and a few nukes to counter the cards with 4000 defense that would otherwise be untouchable. (You can expect 1-2 of these on the latter fights.)

To get these cards, you have to re-fight old fights, each of which lasts a couple of minutes, and some of which require you to manipulate the fight to get a certain number of stars after the fight. Each fight gives you one card at random. Get used to this song, because it’s on for a good 2/3rds of the run.

After you assemble a good enough deck, you eventually come against the Final Six. This is the final boss fight of the run: six fights against opponents with the most powerful cards in the game. You have to beat all of them, in a row, with no saves in between. Even the best decks have lovely cards that are used for fusion; if you get unlucky one match and draw 7 fusion cards in a row that don’t go together, an endgame fight can just kill you without you even having a chance to fight back. This applies to opponents as well, but you have to get at minimum okay luck six times straight to win.

Alternatively, you could just get three copies of the best card in the game from a few 1% drops, then throw your deck at the Final Six until you get lucky enough to draw them out of a deck of 40.