Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The Extremely Functional and Normal American Government shot itself in the foot for the Nth time and shut down. This of course includes Something Awful, which is a CIA front. Congrats on the furloughs, everybody. Now you have no reasons to stay inside.

That said, staying inside and Just Posting Nonstop can get boring. So to pass the time along, I am introducing the (short/intermediate/long) lived C-SPAM SHUTDOWN CONTEST. The name sucks, the dude who names things is considered non-essential. We also weren't paying him anyway.

What is it? Very simple: Guess the length of the shutdown, to the day. Submissions go like "2 days" or "1 week" or whatever. So if you think Dems will cave, choose something low. If you think they won't, choose something high! Or choose whatever because it does not matter. Nothing matters.

HOW DO I WIN?
Choose the correct number of days that the shutdown will go on for (official counter will be on CNN.com, rounded down (so 1d, 23hr is considered 1 day, etc)) and win! If nobody chooses the exact number of days, whomever chooses the closest number of days without going over wins!

DO I GET PRIZES I WANT PRIZES CAPITALISM DEMANDS THAT I AM REWARDED WITH PHYSICAL GRATIFICATION
Yes, winners get a new avatar of your choice. There will be only 4 winners, and they will be the first 4 people to post the correct number of days. I'm not going to keep track, so if you're a moron that chooses the same amount of days as everybody else without looking you "win" but you also lose, at life.

I LOVE RISK-FREE ATTEMPTS AT FREE poo poo
Hold your horses, Pence! It's not risk free! For added fun, select losers will be probated for 6 hours, no more and no less. What are "select losers"?

They will be the users who choose the number of days closest to the answer, above and below. I can't explain it very well, so here's an example.

Poster A says 5 day shutdown. Posters B and C choose 3 days and 7 days, respectively. The shutdown lasts for 5 days. Poster A (and up to three other people who first choose that number) get prizes. Posters B and C are the closest numbers above and below the correct answers, but are wrong. They get 6ers. If there is a Poster D that chooses 2 days and a Poster E that chooses 8 days, they are safe. If multiple people chose 3 and 7 days, they all get probated.

I LOVE TAKING RISKS SO I'LL DO IT. ANYTHING ELSE?
Not much else. Don't edit your betting post (obviously), but other than that you can post all you want. The thread will not be limited to those taking part in the contest.

Hopefully the shutdown lasts long enough so this contest can get a good turnout. Good luck!

logikv9 has issued a correction as of 17:23 on Jan 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

17 days

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

A week

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

420 days which is 69 weeks

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
8 days, twelve hours, thirty-seven minutes, and 15 seconds.

(In case you need a tiebreaker)

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
13 days

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
4 days

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

9 days

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

22 days

gotta get the record

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
6 Days

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
8 days

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
dems cave

6 days

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat
11 days

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
2 weeks

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It'll end on valentine's Day when pence gets hosed by a horse

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
26 days

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Thom and the Heads posted:

dems cave

6 days

they will try, but trump is gonna gently caress up the negotiations again at least once imo

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
19 days

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
5 days

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
also, since i like my avatar, im requesting that if i win you give the av change to a soyboy

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

14 days

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

142 days

we’re hosed binches

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
5 days

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

13 days

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide
3 days

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
18 days

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
17 days

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

5 Days

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
14 days

It will be over on Saturday February 3rd at 2am when they finally have a voting extravaganza long into the night after a particularly sour trump public rant on Friday.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
2 days

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

10 days

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
4 days

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

extremely confident poster here

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

9 days

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

22 day

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait, are we going by calendar days or business days?

This does not change my guess, but there's always some goon that will try to rules lawyer.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

22 Days

Hub Dirt
Apr 26, 2008
30 days

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005
27 days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU