Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing Trixie, Trixie, Trixie, and Trixie for top four.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wow it took me less than five seconds to be tired of Thorgy again.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Someone in one of the previous threads said "Thorgy looks like she smells like an old sponge" and that is so perfectly dead on that it has never left my mind and is now all I can think about when I see her.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

I've been smiling like an idiot since I woke up. Super excited to go see this with a crowd, especially if the unannounced queen spoiler is true.

I'ma film her entrance just in case. If Vancouver doesn't gag, I'll be disappointed tbh.

Almost time to start your engines, kitty girls!

I've been searching for a place to watch it here in Frankfurt and so far I have turned up nothing except for the fact that drag is called "travestie" in German.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Unsolicited anecdote: Europe has these lovely things called "Christmas markets", where the downtown of any reasonably-sized burg is taken over by tiny log cabins where people sell spiced wine, sausages, cheese dishes, statues of Ghandi taking a poo poo, etc. In some of the more progressive German cities they now have "pink markets", which are these little areas set aside to be specifically a gay and gay-friendly Christmas market. I've recently started a new job in Germany, and I told my boss I was looking forward to checking out the pink market, which he apparently also really likes. The next week I come back to work and the first thing he says after "hello" is "DIT YOU ENCHOY DEE HOMOZEXUAL MARKET" as loud as possible.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

I wonder if that's by virtue of Drag Race not airing concurrently, or at all, in European countries for so many years. It's only recently that seems to be happening more. Like obvs everyone was watching their torrents or w/e anyway, but still.

Yeah I think my Danish friends were mostly watching it a day later at house parties rather than in bars.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Finally saw it.

Shangela was much improved.
Bebe was beautiful but eh.
Aja was okay - I liked the multiple reveals but they were too close together.
Kennedy's moves were pretty great.
Thorgy bored the poo poo out of me.
Bendela's act cracked me the hell up.
ChiChi was painful, and so was Morgan's song.
Trixie's song was okay but for gently caress's sake this is Drag Race, give me some more Dolly Parton glitz and some humor.
I really liked the idea of Milk's thing, but it could have been executed a bit better.

Aja did fine in the lip synch but Ben fuckin' killed it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pinwiz11 posted:

Someone fed some of our All-Stars into a predictive text emulator and :laffo:

https://hornetapp.com/stories/drag-robot/

My fish is so gay it’s pork. I'M DEAD

This is great.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CaptainScraps posted:

Shangela is going to be one to watch this time around. Her makeup was gorgeous. And now she can dance.

The only way I see her losing early is if they make her do filth or horror drag.

I think she might even pull that off. I'm quite impressed with how much she's grown as a performer. I'm not sure I'd say she deserves to win All Stars (honestly I'm not sure any of this crop really do), but I think she'll stick around for a while and redeem her legacy significantly.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bliggers- posted:

I'm late but I'm coming in for the Thorgy hate. Holy poo poo, I can't think of anyone's drag completely turning me off like her since...Jade Jolie.

Ha! I can see the comparison. Jade was at least cute though.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Thorgy did a great job of reminding me why I wanted her to go home, then went home. That makes it a good episode right here.

I felt like there was no way Bendela didn't just intentionally throw that lip sync so she didn't have to make the decision, and also to probably not paint a huge target on her back by winning the first two shows. Not bad as strategy goes, and at least she did it in a way that was still very entertaining.

Shangela continues to impress me, I have to say.

And yeah Milk can just gently caress off. That Celine was so goddamn bad I had to go back and remind myself who it was even supposed to be, and then she's complaining about the top three, like she should have even remotely been in there? I was lukewarm on Milk (lol) but now I'm just kinda done.

Oh yeah, Bendela's rappin' Julie Andrews was a work of art.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 2, 2018

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pellisworth posted:

I'm rooting for Shangela, Trixie, Bebe, and BenDeLa for top four.

Yeah, I'd be pretty darn happy with that.

Although Trixie has been pretty far in the background this season compared to what I'd expect from her. She's there, she's doing well, and I'm always happy to see her on screen, but she's just coming off as unusually reserved.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pan Dulce posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyB2Ozbj77g

Kennedy has such low energy on these things, I just have to laugh.

Yeah Kennedy is almost comically chill.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oh Milk shut the gently caress up.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Richard Simmons would have been perfect tbh.

Sylvia Plath, though...laugh a minute?

Richard Simmons would be perfect for someone who could make it funny, but I don't think Thorgy is that someone.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

twistedbutterfly posted:

I am also hoping Trixie breaks into the top this week.

Yeah I'm here for Trixie but I am ready for her to step up.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Kennedy, Trixie, and Bendela were amazing this week. So loving glad Milk got sent home, but clearly it didn't result in a single second of self-awareness. That wasn't just unfunny, it was loving unprofessional.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shneak posted:

Green Light is a loving amazing song :colbert:

It can be a great song but still suck for lip syncs, which it does. poo poo was dull.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that would make me angry af but would definitely be some memorable television.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

spite house posted:

The other persistent rumor I've heard is Ben continues to slay the competition for a while and then eliminates herself. Which would kind of loving rule. I hope it's that and not the other.

That would be (1) loving stupid and make me lose a lot of respect for her and (2) outside the rules of the show as they've been given.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flyinglemur posted:

I'm on Team Ben/Trixie/Shangela, not necessarily in that order.

Same. I started out on Team Trixie/Trixie/Trixie, but things have changed.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just saw it. Fun episode but not amazing. Glad Trixie did well, and I'm happy enough with who went home given the two options.

I'm a bit ready for them to stop congratulating Bebe for doing the same thing over and over again. She does it extremely well, and I'm not exactly tired of seeing it, but I feel like at a conceptual level she has done less work than anybody. Every new challenge most of the queens are going "how can I do <thing> with a bit of my own style?", and Bebe's like "how can I do my own style with a bit of <thing>?" She's never disappointing, but she's never challenging either.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm not hating on her being in the top two or even winning this episode, I just think that repeatedly doing the same thing isn't what Drag Race is about, no matter how well you do it. I also wouldn't be surprised if the song selection this season was at least partially chosen with Bebe in mind; the second she goes up against one of the younger girls and the lip sync is some sort of banger she's going to fade into the drapes.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Thank you for sharing this, and for the rest of y'all: Don't loving sleep on this if you're a drag race stan. I know this is a dense month(s) of drag, but .... The skills are loving there and the hunger/energy are there. Production is iffy, but drat.

Yeah I'm way into it. It seems like it's maybe going to lean more heavily towards fish and fashion than any sort of comedy/non-dance performance stuff, but that may just be my impression from the first episode and how smokin' hot that lineup is.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pellisworth posted:

thanks, this was horseshit that Amazon cut off before the lipsynch

So did iTunes, I thought until I checked the thread that they were just leaving it for next week which would be shady as gently caress.

I'm honestly disappointed as hell in Ben De La, but more than that I kinda hated this episode from start to finish. It was basically an hour of people complaining at each other with about five minutes of performance peppered in to remind us that it's (supposedly) a talent show. I just wasn't entertained by most of it, which is unusual for me and Drag Race.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

spite house posted:

Anyone else thinking production put Trixie up to hanging that note? It seemed like a very un-Trixie thing to do, and her reactions this episode seemed weighty with the unsaid.

I wouldn't be surprised. It did seem very, very out of character.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ubiquitous_ posted:

It was very hilarious. Bob and Trixie's chemistry is different than Trixie and Katya, but Bob has incredible one-liners the entire episode.

It was a bit sedate compared to how Trixie and Katya play off of each other but it was really solid and fun all the way through. I really hope Bob comes back off and on; even though the chemistry is different, it's a platform that Bob's voice fits really well.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shneak posted:

Not BenDeLaChrist losing All Stars but defeating the system. I'm glad she chose to go out on the record-breaking note that she did.

Yeah this is why I'm so proud of having dropped out of that marathon after two miles; someone else may have won, but I beat the idea of marathons.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I love Willam and I love BenDeLa but I don't like the way either of them left Drag Race. I would absolutely drop a reasonable amount of coin to see either of them if they're in town, but that doesn't mean I have to like every decision either of them made.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

Which ones?

I'm guessing this:

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/03/04/rupaul-would-probably-not-let-a-post-transition-contestant-on-drag-race/

My lukewarm take on it is that I can absolutely understand why Ru said that in terms of preserving the competition, but that people are not going to react to it within that context and will see it as an attack on their, or others', identities. People will yell, some other people might apologize, and in the end everything will be exactly as it was except that we'll all hate each other just a little more.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 5, 2018

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
And then the stage will be set for my new show, America's Next Power Bottom Model.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jay O posted:

having a non-queer competitor of any stripe does seem kinda wrong for the show.

This is something I've wondered about. Surely there are (a few) straight drag queens, given that there are a number of straight guys who cross-dress. I have to wonder how the Drag Race world would react to a straight guy competing.

e: come to think of it, at least one of the Drag Race queens has said they were bi (Katya, iirc, but maybe others?)

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 5, 2018

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

Straight men have auditioned, iirc the season 3 casting extravaganza had an audition tape from a straight guy. If a straight man were a fierce enough queen I could see him making it on, maybe.

Ah, I didn't know that. I think it would be very interesting television, but I wouldn't want to be the one to try it. I have a feeling it would be quite divisive.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Depends how you use them really.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sarcopenia posted:

"Jesus is a biscuit, let him sup you up!"

Y'all ain't from the south, are ya?

quote:

sop

noun
noun: sop; plural noun: sops
1. a thing of no great value given or done as a concession to appease someone whose main concerns or demands are not being met.
"my agent telephones as a sop but never finds me work"
2. a piece of bread dipped in gravy, soup, or sauce.

verb
verb: sop; 3rd person present: sops; past tense: sopped; past participle: sopped; gerund or present participle: sopping
1. soak up liquid using an absorbent substance.
"he used some bread to sop up the sauce"

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo, congratulations!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sarcopenia posted:

Thank you! I'm also black so I feel extra luckyh.

Oh poo poo yeah, good choice.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I thought Trixie gave a considerably better performance, and Shangela mostly won because she had a gimmick and rode it hard. At this point I feel like the crown fairly obviously is going to one of those two, and while they're both good I'm not sure either of them are on the same tier as the other two All Stars winners. While the show is obviously still fun and all that, I have to say this is my least favorite season of All Stars by a mile, and one of my least favorite seasons of Drag Race ever.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Also, Carmen Carrera did the fat suit first!

For anyone else who's (re)watching old seasons, it looks like EU Netflix is getting rid of the old Drag Race seasons after March 30th. :smith:

E: it's really helping my Spanish, though. Felicidragues!

Oh poo poo I didn't even think about the fact that I could use Drag Race to help me learn German! Step aside, Peppa Wutz!

e: All right, five minutes in and I've already learned what "schöne titten" means.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FewtureMD posted:

SHENANGELAS

• Locked thread