Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Pay out the winning team in bitcoin. Let the MVP have a player option to cancel their contract at anytime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kawalimus posted:

You can never have the pro bowl be exciting cause theres no stakes. And there cant be stakes. But heres a crazy idea for how there could be some stakes to it:

The pro bowl is no longer played at the end of the season, but prior to week 1 of the following season. And similar to baseball, this game will determine which of the conferences will get the Superbowl at home. This will do away with the game being held on a neutral field, and knowing where the game will be played at the start of the season.

Teams are selected after the Superbowl, and have the entire offseason to go over plays and prepare for the big game.

The problem is like hell they're going to let the Super Bowl be in Green Bay.

That's not even getting into the logistical issues that require for prepping for the Super Bowl, which now is a 2 week span instead of "a few months because you know ahead of time".

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yeah, no way you can do the Super Bowl logistics in two weeks. I think instead of attaching stakes to the game, you just need to make it more entertaining and something the players want to actually compete in. They are in the right direction with stuff like the dodge ball game and bringing back the skills competition. They just need to embrace that this isn't football rather than trying to be a poor facsimile of it.

They should also do away with the AFC vs. NFC and go draft mode like a few years ago and how the NBA is doing it. Have players pick teams, I would watch that more than I would the actual game. Hell, I would rather watch a 7 v 7 flag football game where the teams were drafted than whats airing today. There are tons of great ideas out there, the NFL just needs to embrace. Hell, they should just take a Calvinball approach and change the format and rules every year.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

swickles posted:

Yeah, no way you can do the Super Bowl logistics in two weeks. I think instead of attaching stakes to the game, you just need to make it more entertaining and something the players want to actually compete in. They are in the right direction with stuff like the dodge ball game and bringing back the skills competition. They just need to embrace that this isn't football rather than trying to be a poor facsimile of it.

They should also do away with the AFC vs. NFC and go draft mode like a few years ago and how the NBA is doing it. Have players pick teams, I would watch that more than I would the actual game. Hell, I would rather watch a 7 v 7 flag football game where the teams were drafted than whats airing today. There are tons of great ideas out there, the NFL just needs to embrace. Hell, they should just take a Calvinball approach and change the format and rules every year.

or go full calvinball and let whoever holds the ball get one rule change per possession.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

am i the only one watching this thing

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Mulaney Power Move posted:

am i the only one watching this thing

probably!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
You do away with making the Superbowl an event and make it back into a football game with atmosphere. Thats one thing I think should happen regardless.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Kawalimus posted:

You do away with making the Superbowl an event and make it back into a football game with atmosphere. Thats one thing I think should happen regardless.

Yeah, I am sure the networks, NFL, and cities that host the game would love that.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
so far this is the most i ever enjoyed a pro bowl

it's raining like.. biblically and ben threw a pick six

tyreek hill embarassed himself too so a bad day for bad dudes

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

lol i just looked up to see landry log rolling into the endzone

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

swickles posted:

Yeah, I am sure the networks, NFL, and cities that host the game would love that.

Dont the cities just wind up being shaken down by the NFL during these events? Im not worried about them. Itd be awesome to have a real home crowd in the SB like other sports have.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

Dont the cities just wind up being shaken down by the NFL during these events? Im not worried about them. Itd be awesome to have a real home crowd in the SB like other sports have.

yea the cities get pretty hosed

but i don't see any incentive to potentially give anyone in your division a home game in the super bowl

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Kawalimus posted:

It depends on how much tax money is going to the stadium mainly. The NFL does shake down the cities for paying for things, but it usually comes out as profitable to the city because of the millions of tourism dollars brought in.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
lol no one even made a GDT for the Pro Bowl.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Mulaney Power Move posted:

lol i just looked up to see landry log rolling into the endzone

It’s a bad sign that my brain automatically interpreted this as Landry Jones, and I started wondering just how many quarterbacks had passed on going to the Pro Bowl this year, I know we had a ton of backups play over the last 6 months but drat.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Brandon Merriweather was a 2x Pro Bowler.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

haha interception and like a million laterals, that was awesome

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Joe Schobert is getting a lot of field time.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It needs to turn into rock and jock. I don’t know what that means but god damnit get Dan Cortez involved.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Wow, if we made a GDT it wouldn't even have a full page.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
How much is the bonus check for today's game? The color guy said it's double pay for winning, but I doubt they'll bust their rear end for a $100 Publix gift card.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kawalimus posted:

For example the trains are for super bowl ticket holders only in Minneapolis next Sunday.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

How much is the bonus check for today's game? The color guy said it's double pay for winning, but I doubt they'll bust their rear end for a $100 Publix gift card.

64k for the winners, 32k for the losers.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
e:f;b

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

2013 was so much better.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Wow. 2 and a half hours in and the game is almost over. This is going fast.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Is it unusual to enjoy this? They're all having a good time joking and laughing with each other. It's fun to watch. :unsmith:

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
Hahaha Michael Bennett can't help but get an offside/neutral zone infraction EVEN IN THE loving PRO BOWL

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

ok i know we all rag on the pro bowl and it was mostly nonsense but that was a fun ending and it's better nonsense than it has been before

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Woo Carr :unsmith:

First game without Todd Downing and he’s looking better already

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

For example the trains are for super bowl ticket holders only in Minneapolis next Sunday.

And see to me it would be a lot better without thay sort of fuss. With a home game and knowing which conference will get it(ditch the pro bowl idea if you like and have it alternate conferences), you can narrow it down a few weeks in advance. So before the conference championships you know it'll be one of two places. That gives you four weeks.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
The NFL Pro Bowl is scripted.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

"We all know it's the Pro Bowl and you can't hit as hard, how does it feel to still be able to make an impact?"

"I can't hit as hard?"

"Hah, w-well-"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Didn't some dude once completely blow up a punter in the Pro Bowl once?

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Didn't some dude once completely blow up a punter in the Pro Bowl once?

:rip: Sean Taylor

Also, after that hit, RIP Brian Moorman.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Ffs for the pro bowl just have a 2 hour mxc show with the players. gently caress football

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Chromatic posted:

gently caress football

Agreed

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Imagine if the Chargers made it and they had to hold the Super Bowl in that tiny soccer stadium

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kevyn posted:

Imagine if the Chargers made it and they had to hold the Super Bowl in that tiny soccer stadium

Makes me definitely in favor of the Kawalimus Super Bowl Rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Delanie Walker owns

• Locked thread