Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I am so loving disgusted with my alma mater right now. We already had a whole bunch of student-athlete rape and sexual assault allegations in just the past couple years that got glossed over, not to mention since I was attending there, and now the board is laughing poo poo off. There needs to be a cleansing from the top down, from rear end in a top hat Board members (I have no idea how this happens) to Simon through the entire athletic department, and if it includes Hollis, gently caress it, bye. Don't punish the students but rip every single person who heard about this and did nothing out of power.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

AsInHowe posted:

Don't forget, Michigan State also has a ton of recent football players getting arrested and charged for horrible things.

Hey guess what? I mentioned this and I'm not super happy about it either it turns out!!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

This is good yes but the Penn State investigation was toothless and that was for football. There has to be serious legal action and top-level changes.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

You could argue that they’ll come down harder on a less popular sport (sort of like how they’ve given the death penalty to D3 tennis programs but will never do it to a major football program again) but trusting the NCAA to handle things properly is not wise.

True. I feel like the most responsible thing to do would be to let all the gymnasts transfer immediately if they want, wipe out anyone who was associated with Nassar, get a new staff and go from there. But again, if the top isn't handled what does it even matter and how do you tell recruits "yes you won't get sexually assaulted" until a full overhaul takes place? Like sure Kathy is gone but what guarantees do you have that the people in charge of the new coach will do a loving thing to help you if she even reports anything? And really not even just the gymnastics team....it's so pervasive :smith:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Good
https://twitter.com/freep/status/956285391023190022

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
lol good job Brian Breslin, that statement is gonna keep looking worse and worse as this keeps up
https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/01/24/dianne-byrum-larry-nassar-victims/1063533001/

quote:

2nd trustee calls for MSU president to resign
A second Michigan State University board member is now calling for Pres. Lou Anna Simon to resign immediately.

“It is clear that the public has lost confidence in the current administration of Michigan State University, and changes are needed to move the university forward," Michigan State University Trustee Dianne Byrum said in a statement sent to the Free Press. "First, I support the resignation of President Simon, effective immediately, and I support the investigation by the Attorney General that will provide a full accounting of what happened and take an important step toward restoring trust, which has understandably been shaken."

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/01/24/msu-board-succession-simon/1062864001/

quote:

Sources: MSU Board of Trustees working on succession plan for Simon exit
The Michigan State University Board of Trustees has stepped up discussion of who will lead the university if or when President Lou Anna Simon steps down.

There are still plenty of unknowns — including whether Simon will resign and the timing of the resignation. Also unknown is when an interim leader would step in and for how long, people with knowledge of discussions said.There are a number of names that have been raised to the board as possible interim presidents, including former Michigan Govs. John Engler, James Blanchard and Jennifer Granholm. Also raised as a possible interim is former Grand Valley State University President Mark Murray, who also served as president of Meijer, Inc. Engler, Blanchard and Murray were all mentioned as a possible MSU president when Peter McPherson left in 2004 and Simon was promoted from provost to president. Engler and Blanchard are Michigan State graduates.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

C. Everett Koop posted:

The whole post was complaining about the sentence Nasser received. It was expressing empathy to a person who absolutely doesn't deserve it.

You're either being deliberately obtuse or you're a loving idiot, or both. The whole post was 'end result this guy is going to spend the rest of his life tortured in solitary'.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mahoning posted:

your solution to all of this was “don’t allow men to have positions of power over women” completely ignoring that young boys are victims just as often.

Also ignored that going up the chain of command many of the people who did absolutely nothing to help the victims were women in this situation.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Simon is out at MSU :toot:
https://twitter.com/GaryMiles_DN/status/956348976328052736

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Looks like she didn't put any blame on herself at all

Oh definitely not, I wouldn't have expected her to. We'll never know how much she did or didn't know but either way she had to leave, when both Senators and the state House are telling you to gently caress off, might as well just rip the bandaid off.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

C. Everett Koop posted:

No, the post was whining about the sentencing. Nasser getting hundreds of years instead of just "life" is the entire point of his sentence, to make it explicitly clear the amount of damage he had systemically done to these women. To just say "yeah, you assaulted a lot of women but you've probably only got about 20-30 years left so that's all you get" is to miss the point. As for whining about psychological damage of isolation, it pales in comparison to the psychological damage that Nasser committed.

What I always find interesting is that whenever a white male commits a particularly heinous crime, such as Nasser here or Anders Brevik or Dylan Roof or the rest, a certain crowd always comes out and complains about the sentence they receive being "cruel and inhumane." Because, of course, the most important thing to do in the face inhumane acts is to make sure that certain feelings aren't hurt.

It wasn't, the person who posted it said it wasn't what they said, several other posters have told you that you are misinterpreting the post but ok sure. Keep being stupid about this.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Rachael Denhollander (the first woman to publically accuse Nassar of sexual assault) was the last woman to speak at the sentencing. She's a loving hero.
e: updating with better video that a) doesn't stutter and b) ends with her standing ovation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wehpkiflXMs

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 25, 2018

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

happyhippy posted:

Thanks for posting this.
This is a speech everyone needs to listen to.

Yeah the whole thing is really good and important viewing (all of the testimonies are but I can't watch too many of them in a row). My favorite part was ~25 minutes in when she takes a couple minutes to give a huge 'gently caress you' to Nassar's lawyer and then the lawyer gets slapped down by the judge (and everyone in the court room :lol:) when she objects.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

jabby posted:

To be fair going after his lawyer is a bit harsh. She's legally obliged to do her best to defend him, and he's legally entitled to defence. What would our justice system be like if lawyers refused to defend people they thought were guilty?

Don't disagree, but if what she said is true (and I have no reason to doubt it was) then I don't see anything out of line with it. Rachael's character was smeared all over the place and his lawyer was doing exactly what she was accusing Rachael of doing, I'm all in favor of setting the record straight.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Good
https://twitter.com/byajperez/status/956733005019729921

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

AsInHowe posted:

I'm excited to see Michigan State's expulsion from the Big Ten, to give that spot to Notre Dame, only to have Notre Dame get immediately expelled for maybe Grand Valley State?

gently caress it, go Lakers!

Oracle posted:

Could always just make the Big 10 10 again. Isn’t it up to 12 now or something?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Yeah there were a billion ways she could have handled this situation and she did so in the worst possible one outside of, I dunno, getting dragged out kicking and screaming? gently caress her, glad to see she's gone, her handling of this situation has been beyond irresponsible.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Oh my god :suicide:
https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/01/25/president-simon-resignation-msu-nassar/1064398001/

quote:

Michigan State University President Lou Anna Simon's resignation Wednesday night kicked in a number of special benefits she'll receive, including lifetime free tickets to MSU football games and a 12-month paid research leave if she returns to the faculty.
"In the 200+ presidential contracts we’ve reviewed, this is the only contract that provides for the president to receive 100% of their last presidential base salary for the first year that they return to the faculty," James Finkelstein, a professor emeritus at the Schar School of Policy and Government at George Mason University and the leading researcher of presidential pay, told the Free Press in an e-mail.
"This means that Dr. Simon will be paid at least $750,000 for her first year returning to the faculty from her research leave. After that, she will be paid 75% of that base salary, or at least $562,500 per year. Dr. Simon’s field is higher education. She received her PhD in education from MSU in 1974.

"So based on this contract, it would appear that Dr. Simon will be paid more than twice the amount of the most highly paid faculty member in the College of Education. In addition, she will be paid more than the most highly paid faculty member in the entire university, C. Konrad Gelbke who makes $433,441. He is one of the world’s leading physicists."

The contract also spells out a number of lifetime perks Simon and her husband will receive.

Parking passes for on-campus parking
Two free tickets to home football games for the Spartan Club suites
Two free tickets to women's basketball games
The option to buy up to four men's basketball tickets in the same location she currently has seats
Reduced-price tickets for bowl games and post-season play for football, men's and women's basketball and ice hockey
Parking pass for all home sporting and cultural events

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

seiferguy posted:

Obviously with 180+ victims coming forward, it's pretty loving clear Nassar did all those awful things. My worry would be if there was a case like that where the accused were innocent and supposed victims (maybe unaware that the prosecution found the wrong person) started shouting awful things at them for things they didn't do. The Central Park five come to mind. That said, it's an extremely specific example, and I don't think would happen often, especially in the case where there are multiple victims.

I get that, but the victims (e: all the closing speeches we heard, not women/girls who testified during trial I should be clear) all only spoke after he was convicted and there was such a gigantic mountain of evidence against him in the trial that made it a fairly easy conviction. It's not like they were letting random people off the street come in and scream at him.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Mark Hollis is out as AD at MSU.
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2018/01/26/michigan-state-university-mark-hollis-resigns/1068989001/

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

If anything draws out the Sparty version of Paterno defenders I'm betting it will be this

Yeah I haven’t brought any of this up with my dad yet and now I’m definitely not going to because I really don’t know where he’s going to land on this.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

AsInHowe posted:

Outside The Lines is going all in on Dantonio and Izzo covering up player crimes.

16 football players accused of some kind of violence against women under Dantonio.

Yeah....here comes the fun part :(

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

AsInHowe posted:

If it's what I saw while skimming that article, probably gang rape. Lots of gang rape.

That anonymous accusation seemed to be Payne and Appling raping a girl in a dorm.

Ah yeah that’s what I remember the protests at the admin building being about.

....Jesus Christ :smith:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

jfc that doesn’t make it ok

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

:suicide:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
When I first worked at MSU I worked summer orientation and part of my job was enrolling students in classes. It was always super awesome working with the athletes (most of the time it was female athletes because the men were flagged immediately and basically never reached us) because as soon as we were done getting them actual classes they would go over to the athletic building and their entire schedule would get overwritten.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Just got an email from the Board of Trustees at MSU

quote:

Dear MSU Community,

As you know, this week has been deeply significant for the survivors of Larry Nassar’s predation and abuse. One after another, they spoke out bravely in open court last week. They asked that their voices be heard, for responsiveness, for action. We acknowledge their voices and say to the survivors, their families, and everyone in our community affected by sexual violence that we are deeply sorry and we recognize that change is overdue.

Today, the Board of Trustees met to take important actions to begin a new day at MSU. We voted to formally accept the resignation of President Lou Anna K. Simon, effective immediately, and appointed Vice President and Secretary to the Board of Trustees Bill Beekman as acting president. In addition, earlier today, Athletic Director Mark Hollis announced his retirement, effective Jan. 31. You can read his statement on the Athletics Department website. We thank him for his many years of service and contributions to MSU Athletics.

Mr. Beekman, who has served in his current role since 2008 and has been with the university in a variety of administrative roles since 1995, has agreed to serve for a short period while we identify an interim president. We will also begin a national search for MSU’s permanent president with input from all members of the MSU community—faculty, staff, students, and alumni.

But this is just the beginning. We acknowledge that there have been failures at MSU, not only in our processes and operations, but in our culture, and we are united in our determination to take all necessary steps to begin a new day and to change the environment at the university. The Board has initiated action to bring in an independent third-party to perform a top-to-bottom review of all our processes relating to health and safety, in every area of the university, and to provide recommendations that we will implement to change the culture of MSU on this important issue.

We also understand that survivors, their families, and the public have many questions about the Nassar matter, and we have asked the Attorney General’s Office to conduct a review of the events surrounding the situation. Today, we are calling on the Attorney General to begin this review as soon as possible and to appoint an independent third-party to promote bipartisan acceptance of the results.

Again, we are committed to taking action to create a culture that provides a safe environment for all members of our community, and the transition to new leadership will be a key component in helping us change course. The Board will play an integral role in these efforts and in making MSU a leader locally and nationally in preventing sexual abuse.

It is clear to the Board that we have not been focused enough on the survivors of Larry Nassar’s abuse. We deeply regret this, and it is our hope is that there will be an opportunity soon to resume dialog with counsel for the survivors, resulting in a fair and just resolution.

We cannot change the past, but we can and will devote our time and resources to foster healing and to move forward together.

Sincerely,
Brian S. Breslin
Chair, MSU Board of Trustees

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

stone cold posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/lynseymukomel/status/956953153089490944

the usoc ultimatum is good but they should all probably resign too tbh

lol Betsy DeVos ain't gonna do poo poo about poo poo in this situation.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Like, everyone knows Betsy DeVos is a piece of poo poo who hates public education but at K-12 level the amount of harm she could inflict was relatively minimal because states rights and whatnot. Her rolling back Title IX protections combined with this incident is a 'textbook' example of the amount of damage someone in her position could cause due to indifference and negligence.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Mark Emmert is a giant pussy and just like everyone else in his position he chose to do nothing because $$$$$

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

stone cold posted:

i would like to highlight this for every single goddamn idiot who came in here and whined about demolishing college sports

burn it all down friends

(NOTE I AM NOT DEFENDING MSU AT ALL RIGHT NOW)
Again, this is not unique to college sports as a very large number of the girls assaulted were through US Gymnastics. The NCAA is a huge problem, yes, but so is literally every other large organization focused on profits before people.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Horseshoe theory posted:

Friendly reminder that Woody Hayes, considered one of the greatest College Football coaches of all time, was a complete psychopath who had meltdowns and assaulted numerous people on national TV yet didn't get shitcanned as a coach until he blatantly sucker punched Charlie Bauman after Bauman intercepted the ball. Also Bobby Knight had a career in commentating after a Hall of Fame College Basketball coaching career that included numerous player assaults and being an all around nutbar.

All college sports folks are bastards.

this is like, all coaches ever. My highschool track coach stopped talking to me, even though I was a captain, because I had to get leg surgery (I was not a fan of him) and would regularly berate pretty much everyone on the team, and my swim coach, before my time when he had apparently calmed down, would throw chairs and stuff into the lanes if he wasn't happy with how the top group was performing that day (was actually a huge fan of him).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
MSU is making more changes, getting rid of the dean of the college that employed Nassar
https://www.reuters.com/article/gym...l-idUSL2N1PZ1VM

quote:

Feb 9 (Reuters) - Michigan State University is moving to fire a dean who it said had failed to enforce 2014 guidelines created for sports doctor Larry Nassar in treating young athletes after complaints of sexual misconduct against him.

Interim Michigan State University President John Engler said in a memo on Friday he would ask a faculty panel to revoke tenure for Dr. William Strampel, who oversaw the college where Nassar worked but has been on medical leave since December.

According to the university memo posted on its website, Strampel did not sufficiently communicate with others or enforce 2014 guidelines put in place for Nassar when performing osteopathic manipulation in sensitive areas. One of those guidelines included having another person present, the Lansing State Journal reported.