Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

mastershakeman posted:

This isn't just a sports scandal, that's the whole reason this poo poo keeps happening. If you focus only on the few coaches involved and not the board of directors or president of the universities, these abuses will continue.

They fired the coaches, ADs and university presidents in both Baylor and Penn State scandals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

mastershakeman posted:

A few fall guys so that the institutions could carry on doing what they always do. Penny resigned in this scandal, but so what? How does that prevent any future abuse?

You both claimed that university presidents should be fired because of these scandals...and they have. And in Penn State, the president was even criminally convicted and sent to prison.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

C. Everett Koop posted:

And that's the issue. It's the case of absolute power corrupting absolutely once again. What the institution does doesn't matter, we've seen it from sports to religion to business to whatever. What matters is that men are in a position of power and use it to abuse anyone who isn't them. And people who aren't actively affected don't speak up because they don't want anything bad to happen to them because the vast majority of people are cowards.

The answer is that men cannot be in positions of power over women. They will abuse their privilege every time without exception, even if it's not in sexually explicit or exploitative ways.

Ok, how does that solve anything regarding the Penn State case.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kalli posted:

Look at the David Bliss case for example. Baylor, early in the 2000's had one basketball player murder another. An assistant coach secretly recorded head coach David Bliss plotting to cover up cash payments he had made to the player (an NCAA violation) by painting him as a drug dealer. Bliss ended up eventually getting another head coaching job, while the assistant has been completely black balled and had his life destroyed.

(For those that don't follow sports, this is a very different Baylor case then the mass rape scandal they just went through).

Bliss has been blackballed from the NCAA and anything major though. I think he's spent most of the past decade coaching high school or equivalent basketball.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Bird in a Blender posted:

But wouldn't serious legal action come from the Michigan Attorney General, not the NCAA? The problem the NCAA always runs into with this is that they're there to regulate the sport, not all the poo poo that happens around it.

Nassar was still an employee unlike Sandusky who had retired and hadn't been actively involved in the football program for a decade when all this poo poo came out.

So they probably can nail the coach and program for what they were doing.

The NCAA couldn't really do anything to Paterno after the indictment came out in November 2011 because he got cancer within about 2 weeks of the indictment and died in January 2012.

Everyone else but the dead guy did get sentenced to prison (though probably not for nearly long enough)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Does anybody remember a few years ago a relatively prominent gymnastics coach (I don't remember when or at what level) was exposed as a child molester? There were a lot of rumors about it being a fairly widespread problem that people were burying under the rug. I wonder if that's going to explode in the wake of Nassar's sentencing.

I think you're remembering the Nassar case when it originally broke in 2016.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

R. Guyovich posted:

to bring in an unrelated (but related) case, eliza dushku had a handler/chaperone during the filming of true lies but that didn't keep a stunt coordinator from raping her. it's not gonna go away until we destroy the structures that allowed the creeps to fester in the first place and cultivated them after

In the Penn State case, the mandatory reporters who buried the case (Curley and Schultz) were sentenced to like 3 months in prison/turned state witness.

Paterno somehow wasn't a mandatory reporter in Pennsylvania at the time, since he was a coach, so he his only duty was to report it to the AD (Curley) even if Paterno arguably had more actual power over matters because he essentially was Penn State athletics at that point.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Bird in a Blender posted:

Either they knew and covered it up, or they had a doctor under their employ for like a decade and did zero oversight in order to make sure there was no abuse. Either way, they failed to do their job of protecting the children in their care.

edit: On the mandatory reporting at Penn State, I still never understood why something like that needs to go up the chain. Why was anyone even going to other coaches or the AD? Call the police direct!

The one incident where it was documented Paterno definitely knew about it and passed the buck up the chain was the MvQueary case. MvQueary was a graduate student assistant coach, who saw Sandusky and a kid in the shower and heard rhythmic slapping sounds. He didn't directly witness any sexual act. He freaked out and called his father, who then he talked to a family friend that was a mandatory reporter and was told he didn't have to talk to the police and should talk to Paterno.

Paterno then talked to Curley and Schultz, who in turn went to Spanier who kind of kiboshed the entire thing from going to the police.

The police had been called on Sandusky a couple of times by this point as well not that it mattered much to him.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Oracle posted:

Could always just make the Big 10 10 again. Isn’t it up to 12 now or something?

the big 10 has 14 teams, the big 12 has 10.

jfc

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't an osteopath a bone doctor?

You're thinking of orthopedics

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

At least Paterno managed to disappear the DA who declined to prosecute Sandusky the first time jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

suck my woke dick posted:

this is oblivious (or malicious) bureaucracy.txt, the only thing that matters is efficiently sweeping things under the rug

It's more the former, if you read the memos the social media monitoring amounted to "here is the latest set of popular tweets and news exposing us as corrupt pedophile enablers"