Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mahoning posted:

The rape culture on US college campuses is hardly unique to MSU or MSU Athletics. Are you advocating that we eliminate all colleges and universities?

Yes. Destroy fortresses of rape culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Them, dumb and hysterical: women get raped more than they get educated in college! We should get rid of or fundamentally reform college

Me, smart and rational: but I got an excellent computer science education in college. Are you seriously suggesting a few rapes are more important then my future?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah I mean if you start with the assumption that this is normal for college then I don't really see how you come to the conclusion that they can be allowed to continue? It might not affect you but it would seem to affect a shitload of other people?

Yeah, I am the only one of my friends to make it out of college without being raped, and we all went to a tiny Midwestern college with no Athletics to speak of. Institutional reputation is more than enough to motivate these schools to hide assaults and the only way to fix it is to immediately shut down any school that is caught and send its students elsewhere.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Well you know what we say around these parts; always more, always worse.

Or in sports argument stadium: "this is really disrupting my March madness bracket"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

AsInHowe posted:

That's not actually what's going on, idiot.

Your "shoot down any solution that might force us to admit sports have problems" routine ain't gonna fly over here bud. You jump at me with your little baby insults anytime I suggest that there are deeper structural issues at play than a couple bad apples in one college. You are deeply invested in college sports continuing to happen regardless of body count.

If you want to make a structured argument instead of name calling be my guest. You've proven incapable so far.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

AsInHowe posted:

Again, not the discussion going on over there, nor here. Quit misrepresenting things to cause drama and fighting.

If I'm so wrong, enlighten me instead of calling me an idiot. Because you can filter the SAS thread to your posts and find plenty of you attacking me and nothing remotely looking like an argument. I'm not the one trying to stir up drama. You followed me here. Nothing in the post you quoted even implies I was talking about you, that's all in your head.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Out of all of that, this stands out to me for some weird reason

A Rapist posted:

it was good when women were drunk, because then it was easy to have sex with them.” 

It makes him sound almost developmentally stunted it's such a juvenile and monstrous thought. He's a sociopath with the moral decision making process if a horned up 15-year-old. There's no way someone who says something like they doesn't throw off warning signs regardless of topic. That this guy was in charge of something means someone interviewed him and ignored the warnings signs anyway. Or he started low on the totem pole and was promoted in spite of his issues.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

stone cold posted:

as it turns out, we should in fact burn down the institutions

Also this

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

PT6A posted:

I agree, the NCAA can and should be destroyed. But destroying the universities that make it up? That’s pretty much every university. Destroy the sports programs to the ground and salt the earth, sure, and destroy the universities that did particularly heinous things, like Penn State and MSU, but I think destroying every university with a sports program, pragmatically speaking, is simply unworkable. Unless I’m misunderstanding what’s being said?

Universities cover up a lot more rape than just sports stuff. Nearly all of my friends were raped at some point in college and all but one were pressured by administering not to "ruin a young man's life over an honest mistake". Universities have a culture of abusing women and covering it up for the sake of reputation and important donors. It took my school 15 years to ban a frat whose house was a notorious rape zone.

It's not sports, it's power structures. Especially patriarchal power structures. That's why we keep shouting to burn all institutions, not just burn all sports teams.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pharohman777 posted:

If you are going to burn it all down, you need a detailed plan for what will replace the system, because people will still wanna play college sports.

Just burning the system down without a thought for what comes next just seems an act of nihilistic destruction.

It's an act of prioritizing stopping the rapes over playing sports. Let's, you know, stop all the loving rapes and then we can worry about how people can safely play basketball.

Your argument is employed by people to avoid ever doing anything by always saying any plan isn't detailed enough.

Do you care more about sports or rape victims?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Hey, remember that old chestnut about institutions?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

suck my woke dick posted:

ok let's build new institutions i'm sure they won't be as corrupt for at least one or two weeks until everyone has settled in (clearly, the answer is permanent revolution)

I mean, what else can you do when you have a university that shelters a rapist, and a government that covers the university's rear end by locking the victims out of fighting for change if the want deserved compensation? That's a virtuous cycle of institutional corruption that can only be fixed by tearing out the roots.

Anything we put in its place will necessarily need structure and rules that recognizes this possibility and has measures in place to prevent that.

And before you say "propose such a structure" as an out to shut down conversation, I don't have an easy proposal. Stating the problem is the easy part, yet a lot of people can't even seem to handle that when it comes to this topic.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

General Dog posted:

Correct, except the hard thing about tearing out roots is that they're tangled up with everything else's roots and also there are already a bunch of seeds laying on the ground so the same thing is going to grow back the next spring anyway.

That's why you use fire. There's some sort of prairie metaphor in here somewhere.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

PT6A posted:

Why is the government trying to cover the university's rear end? They should be the ones helping to nail the pricks responsible to the wall.

It's a public university and there's a revolving door between government and high paying university admin positions in most state college systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

TheBalor posted:

I think he may be using it in a sarcastic fashion.

She, and no. "virtuous cycle" means a cyclical process that is self perpetuating. I know some prescriptivists argue that cycles with negative effects should only be called "vicious cycles", but I ain't no prescriptivist.