Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Preventing further abuse is practically going to take a change in human nature. Abuse cover up has happened in nearly every sector of our lives, not just sports. It may even get worse without universities because then you will see people desperately trying to protect their business from collapsing. Even suggesting that we make punishments worse for those who perpetuate the cover up may make things worse too because now you have people even more afraid of the repercussions when the abuse comes to light.

Most of these issues really stem from, abuse happens, people in charge maybe don't find out for months or years later. People in charge get scared of telling anyone because then it comes out that it took them 6 months, or a year, or whatever, to find out something was wrong. Everyone just lets it keep going with the hopes that one day they never have to face the consequences.

I know I'm not providing any answers, but I'm not really sure there is an answer aside from people just need to do the right thing, no matter the consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

This is good yes but the Penn State investigation was toothless and that was for football. There has to be serious legal action and top-level changes.

But wouldn't serious legal action come from the Michigan Attorney General, not the NCAA? The problem the NCAA always runs into with this is that they're there to regulate the sport, not all the poo poo that happens around it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

RevKrule posted:

I get that he's gonna die in prison and nothing's gonna change that but when you math it out, the max on that is less than 1 year per victim and that's really sad.

After a certain point, there really is no reason to use a comically high sentence. I mean he could be sentenced for 5 years per person, and get a 1,000 year sentence, but 50 years or 1,000 years, it will make no difference. The guy will likely spend the rest of his life in solitary confinement for his own protection. Imagine spending the remainder of your life in solitary, that poo poo is psychological torture.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

C. Everett Koop posted:

I'm glad you have your priorities straight. Sure, this may have been a monster who systematically abused young girls and women for decades without repercussion until now, ruining countless number of lives, but the important thing is to remember that the real victim here is the guy who's going to have to face consequences for his actions, and that inconveniencing him and hurting his feelings is what's truly beyond the pale here.

Perhaps we should schedule regular unsupervised field trips from the local elementary schools to his cell, just to make sure his time in prison isn't too difficult.

At what point did I ever express sympathy to Nassar?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

gaj70 posted:

That answer doesn't sound like there is evidence. Am I misinterpreting?

Either they knew and covered it up, or they had a doctor under their employ for like a decade and did zero oversight in order to make sure there was no abuse. Either way, they failed to do their job of protecting the children in their care.

edit: On the mandatory reporting at Penn State, I still never understood why something like that needs to go up the chain. Why was anyone even going to other coaches or the AD? Call the police direct!