Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

DaysBefore posted:

RIP Zellers

:hai:

On the other hand, welcome, Home Depot self checkouts staffed by a single beleaguered clerk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I got a free $70 video game in a Buy One Get One Free sale at Zellers by buying a terrible $20 flight simulator. I contributed in some small way to the demise of that company.

London Drugs has a surprisingly great selection of vegan chocolate.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I miss Zellers' electronics section. My go-to place for weird PC games after almost every other retailer stopped carrying them. I found out about Paradox Interactive from them.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Arivia posted:

gonna be honest, the released video/audio (I just read the transcripts cbc had up) makes it seem like an honest unfortunate death. father had a gun he was waving around and threatening people with, cops tried to stop his car with a spike strip, father ran over a cop, other cops fired at the guy with a gun who had just tried to kill one of them. after the father was stopped, it turned out he’d had the kid on his lap in the car and the kid got hit with a bullet from the cops shooting the father.

I know I know Acab and all that but this was cops shooting back to protect themselves against a guy with two deadly weapons he was using (gun and car). not much else that could be done, and it’s the father who decided to take a baby hostage and use it as body armor.

Even if I agreed with that it should only absolve them of shooting the guy with the gun - which it did, since they were not charged for his murder. The baby - who was a baby - is a murder victim with zero mitigating factors but it's okay, the three baby murderers are now back to work in their communities

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Arc Hammer posted:

Dougie tripling down on not knowing what a fourplex is this morning. The reporter explicitly asked him "how do you feel about two story buildings with four units, also called a Fourplex?" and he replied "BONNIE CROMBIE WANTS TO FORCE YOU TO SELL YOUR HOUSE SO THEY CAN BUILD A FOUR STOREY SKYSCRAPER"

i read at least two articles that didn't even comment on the fact that he had no idea what he's talking about.

DaysBefore posted:

I have to imagine the rate of return for SFH suburb builders (aka wedding guests) is way more than fourplexes. Big chunks of land with oversized houses that some realtor can flip for low-mid seven figgies

I wonder too with the rate of profit falling and all that if it's the only thing that could get developers to build more houses these days. Just nothing else will hit that margin that they need to provide for themselves/investors/whoever. we're locked into suburban hell sprawl until the government decides it actually has to build homes itself and figures out how to do that with a creaking bureaucracy that's been pummeled by austerity over the last few decades.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Dreylad posted:

i read at least two articles that didn't even comment on the fact that he had no idea what he's talking about.

I wonder too with the rate of profit falling and all that if it's the only thing that could get developers to build more houses these days. Just nothing else will hit that margin that they need to provide for themselves/investors/whoever. we're locked into suburban hell sprawl until the government decides it actually has to build homes itself and figures out how to do that with a creaking bureaucracy that's been pummeled by austerity over the last few decades.

I have to imagine that's the case. Aside from *joker grin* luxury apartments and condos, and sprawling mcmansion suburbs the profit margin for both developers and landlords is too low on more modestly sized or priced units. Presumably* not unprofitable at all of course but just making a profit isn't enough for parasites

*maybe not though, given how many landlords willingly buried themselves under impossible debt to acquire that sweet sweet income property lol

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

RBC posted:

They knew the baby was in the car. They opened fire anyway.

That baby was no angel

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

He is now

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lol

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

:vince:

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

Jesus Christ dude

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
That sure was something awful

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Your police officers are making heaven too loving crowded.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

:thurman:

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS

:drat:

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Randalor posted:

I miss Zellers' electronics section. My go-to place for weird PC games after almost every other retailer stopped carrying them. I found out about Paradox Interactive from them.

I worked in the Zellers electronic section as a teenager. It was the best department to work in, except when you were forced to have certain movies playing on all the TVs on a loop. I've seen Like Mike more times than any person should

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

get his rear end

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

canadian tire is absolute dogshit

london drugs is the only remaining good canadian "big box"-style store

My Quebecois wife just baffled that I bought a computer from the drug store.
Like you guys invented Jean Coutu is it really that much of a stretch

The Berzerker posted:

I worked in the Zellers electronic section as a teenager. It was the best department to work in, except when you were forced to have certain movies playing on all the TVs on a loop. I've seen Like Mike more times than any person should

I can recite 2fast2furious line for line thanks to the year I spent in furniture sales

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

RealityWarCriminal posted:

get his rear end

too late

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

COPE 27 posted:

I can recite 2fast2furious line for line thanks to the year I spent in furniture sales

wow. same. that is an odd experience to share with anyone

also: https://www.readthemaple.com/ss-veteran-in-parliament-scandal-receives-award-named-after-nazi-collaborator/

lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
huh. odd that.

someone should ask the deputy pm for a soundbite on that

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Dreylad posted:

wow. same. that is an odd experience to share with anyone

You might be the only person to understand me drawling "oh well" as I do something stupid

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

our next pm looks and sounds like a robotic sociopath lmao

https://twitter.com/PierrePoilievre/status/1772413517846491303

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

our next pm looks and sounds like a robotic sociopath lmao

https://twitter.com/PierrePoilievre/status/1772413517846491303

yeah, he's a tory

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I "enjoyed" this article about Trudeau voters switching to PP:

quote:

"(Trudeau) just doesn't care," says 36-year-old Aleshia Bron, whose attendance at the rally Sunday marked the first time she'd seen Poilievre in person.
Now, the hope she and others vested in Trudeau belongs to Poilievre. "He's the change. He's what Canada really needs," she says.

Several say they love how he peppers speeches with specific facts — not just political platitudes — and they trust every word he says, because, as one told the Star, they believe "he does his homework." "It's like he has a calculator in his pocket and just sits there working it all out," says Melissa Muir, 42.

The crowd laps up his facts with such fervour that when Poilievre asks if people know what an average farmer pays in carbon taxes — a number he had claimed moments ago as being $150,000 — some can parrot it back.

One gets a prize for doing it — a shiny red apple, a prop that's been part of Poilievre's stump-shtick since a clip of him dressing down a reporter while eating an apple lit up the internet last year.

quote:

"Everything he says, I feel it before he says it," says Cassandra Martsis, 40, who prior to Sunday adds she's never attended a political rally in her life. She spoke to the Star as she waited in line for well over 30 minutes to have her photograph taken with Poilievre at the end of his event.

quote:

Among them, Jason Budd, 44, who came from Montreal wearing a sweatshirt with a photo of himself and a leadership-era Poilievre. His decision to make the drive was motivated by the sense of unity he feels at Poilievre events.
"It is just refreshing to get together with a group of like-minded people, it feels like a community," he says.
For Bron, it is also an important moment in time, convinced as she is that Poilievre will win the next election.
"This is part of history."

lol that people are buying into this poo poo, especially the no-glasses tough guy makeover but then they still think he's a nerd who does his homework and just whips out the calculator in his pocket when he needs it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

canadians are morons and deserve this

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Yeah but I've got a shiny red apple so who's the moron now?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lol. Oh well better not think too much about that. Also extra lol that Old Man Hunka literally fled to Latin America when he thought there was a possibility of extradition to Poland. Should've known that here, we love our Ukrainian nazi collaborators and SS veterans

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Happy Holi Days everyone

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

canadians are morons and deserve this

not exclusive to Canada unfortunately

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Precambrian Video Games posted:

lol that people are buying into this poo poo, especially the no-glasses tough guy makeover but then they still think he's a nerd who does his homework and just whips out the calculator in his pocket when he needs it.

i can't actually use that archive link since their dns isn't resolving for me, but i'm going with:

"it's written by the same pr team that keeps trying to convince use that actual human beings have positive opinions of pierre" and i don't believe it.

canadian voters are stupid. they may even be that stupid. but every one of these has managed to sound identical since he was running for party leadership and i'd bet that has a lot more to do with who wrote them than actual people providing real quotes.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

PP is poo poo but he's going to win easily because liberals have nothing to offer. democracy bitch

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

DaysBefore posted:

Lol. Oh well better not think too much about that. Also extra lol that Old Man Hunka literally fled to Latin America when he thought there was a possibility of extradition to Poland. Should've known that here, we love our Ukrainian nazi collaborators and SS veterans

that old Nazi fled Canada??

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

lol drat

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

hadji murad posted:

that old Nazi fled Canada??

So that Maple article says, but then he came back because our coward nazi loving government refused to extradite a war criminal who took part in the Holocaust. Oh well, voting will fix this

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

RealityWarCriminal posted:

PP is poo poo but he's going to win easily because liberals have nothing to offer. democracy bitch

They haven't offered anything in the last 2 elections but they still won

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Doug Ford literally had nothing to offer and he won in Ontario.

Voters aren't rational lol

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Love how Canadians are so broke-brained that when a government is poo poo they just vote for the other option.

There's only two options I say as the world melts away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Oxyclean posted:

Doug Ford literally had nothing to offer and he won in Ontario.

Voters aren't rational lol

He had nothing but the other two parties somehow managed to have even less