Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Someone once described her as a real-life embodiment of the trans boogeymen chuds imagine when campaigning for bathroom laws. The act is way too on-the-nose.

Except even if it is entirely an act, she's still a pedophile :yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Does canpol twitter have more bots than uspol twitter? Or is it just that the uspol bots are indistinguishable from real people?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I hate "working class" for the same reason. It sounds like a bunch of good ol hardworking blue collar boys, but is usually deployed to include every rich person who's not literally living off a trust fund and exclude the poorest who are a step below working class (evidently because they don't work hard enough)

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

infernal machines posted:

that's the thing, those terminal interfaces are actually pretty streamlined and it takes a lot of thought and consideration to build a GUI equivalent without just making GBS threads check boxes and form fields all over the place, and absolutely no enterprise software ever does this

Those ugly terminal interfaces have a steeper learning curve but are very efficient once you've gotten the hang of them and remember which key codes do the few things that you need to do 200 times a day, out of a few hundred available functions.

If someone's full-time job is working with this software, that's what you want, even if they have to bumble around for a few weeks as they get used to it.

Juul-Whip posted:

Mayor Pete's campaign has now admitted the grocery chain he advised was Loblaws

https://twitter.com/jeffhauser/status/1204543875651657733

Fitting that white bread would be Pete's undoing.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

priznat posted:

Just waiting for ICBC to collapse altogether, it has been described as a "dumpster fire" by our attorney general :ohdear:

Perhaps should stop paying out to get 500k ferraris repaired when their owner sideswipes a fire hydrant

I thought ICBC stopped insuring cars valued over 150k like 10 years ago.

also speaking of, a chance to repost one of my favorite vancouver photos

The temp plate is the cherry on top

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

infernal machines posted:

welp. y'all are hosed

good luck vangoons

remember the good ol days before the canada line when a little bit of snow would strand people downtown because the buses couldn't get up the hill

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Cold on a Cob posted:

Same but the 90s, but I think a large part of that was because I had a social studies teacher all through high school that was great at talking about the horrors of war without denigrating or venerating the soldiers that were pressured or forced to fight. He introduced me to Dulce et Decorum est and it's a far better poem than In Flanders Fields.

My 90s/00s education was similar. We were taught that war was unimaginably horrible and veterans were poor souls made to suffer through it.

We also had a few WWII veterans tell us about how terrible it was and that we should be grateful if we never have to share that experience.

They were very careful not to imply that war was in any way heroic.

I blame Don Cherry.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

Am I the only one who reads "people who didn't file tax returns" as "people who are poor, or indigent, or just turned eighteen"?

No, that's the correct reading. There's also people who don't file because they distrust the government, either because they're conspiracy kooks or because they or their family were placed in residential schools. Generally, people who don't file aren't dodging taxes, they're actually paying more by losing out on entitlements. The 800,000 people mentioned probably needed it!

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

a primate posted:

This Is probably a profoundly stupid question, but what exactly is or has been the government stance on immigration? We’ve been slowly increasing numbers for a couple decades now (~300,000 in 2016), so it’s clear several governments are pro-, but what is the reason?

We are certainly not doing this to be nice. Is this to prop up the housing industry? To create demand for goods in order to stimulate the economy? Who is employing all of these people when we are looking towards policies like UBI to offset the loss of jobs that comes with automation? Does it even matter?

Is there even a rationale besides more people = more good?

The media only discusses this issue in terms of racist attitudes regarding foreigners, and even the Harper government only feigned to try to increase the proportion of European immigrants. They still never limited it iirc, despite cries from their base. So, why?

As someone trying to sponsor my wife, I don't get the impression that Canada is particularly pro-immigration at all.

As mentioned, the temporary worker program is mostly exploitation. As for skilled entry, the requirements are high, and measured on a curve such that a fixed number of applicants are accepted each year. Family sponsorship is very prohibitive. Even in normal times, processing takes more than one year. That's at least 12 months a family would need to be separated (for outland applications), or in my case (inland application), 12 months of living in a foreign country with hardly any personal freedoms. Like, my wife can't even get a driver's license because she doesn't have proof of status. She doesn't have proof of status because we're applying for status. But she also can't drive on her IDL because she's a long-term resident. She can't work until her work permit is approved, which is probably going to take 7-8 months by current estimates. Thank goodness we could at least get her on healthcare in BC, some provinces don't even have that.

I did have to pay for an ER visit out of pocket during the 2 month waiting period though. $500 for her to wait in a waiting room alone without her cell phone for two hours, after which a nurse told her she was fine and dismissed her. We had to pay $160 to a doctor she never met.

Oh right. My wife is on "implied status". Because we're applying for status (in our case, as a worker -- no, the PR application doesn't count as applying for status, that's why you must submit a OWP), her current status doesn't expire until a decision is made on her application. But if we made a mistake on the 100+-page application form, such as forgetting a signature, the application will be returned incomplete and she'll have retroactively overstayed. That would make her ineligible to apply for status. So we'd have to submit an application to forgive the overstay, and wait for that to be approved before we would be allowed to apply for a work permit again.

Meanwhile, when we move back to Korea, my temporary visa application will take one or two weeks. I would apply for a long-term visa after landing and within one week have all the privilege of a permanent resident. It doesn't have to be this hard.

fisting by many has issued a correction as of 20:17 on Dec 1, 2020

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Philman posted:

Canada is pro skilled immigrant express entry visa. People seem to get that in half the time.

I just went thru the same process including the implied status problem. I have a few things i can add which might help you:
- We were able to get OHIP (ontario healthcare) by writing to the OHIP review board and then proving to them we had applied for the (spousal) OWP. we got that proof from IRCC using the online response form and forwarded the email to OHIP.
- If you had a work permit and you applied for a new work permit before the old one expired you are implied to have status. you can continue to work until a decision is made. you dont have to quit your job on the expiration date. If you went from study to work permit then i am not sure that is true.

I suspect that you can contact the drivers licensing authority by mail and get them to accept that someone who has implied status is allowed to apply for a drivers license (you'll need this because the people at the local office wont be able to do anything without a letter from head office).

If you keep your medical receipts you should be able to claim it after she finally gets PR.

I recommend going to https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/ and checking out a thread which is relevant to when you applied. some people keep spreadsheets in there and you can gauge how far along you should be relative to others. Currently IRCC is prioritizing inland spousal sponsorships so there may be hope. We expected the PR card to take 4 months to arrive after the Confirmation Of Permanent Residency letter finally arrived according to those boards but it only took 2 weeks.

canadavisa forums were essential, I wouldn't have been able to complete my application without them.

I also wouldn't have known that your PR fee receipt allows you to apply for BC MSP since the official application doesn't even have an option to submit that.

I'll have to resume the fight with ICBC someday, I've just been busy to keep escalating :sigh:

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

BC extended the ban on gatherings with non-household members to Jan 8, which means Christmas is canceled.

Good, but I'm sure this is going to be widely ignored.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

quote:

Cohen said it is important for the government to find a balance so that rents are reasonable for both tenants and property owners.

"Because if the property owners can't charge enough rent, then, you know, they're not going to come in and supply rental housing to the market," Cohen said.

"Then there's going to be even fewer rental houses or rental apartments available to people which could have, you know, the opposite effect of what the regulators want."

What are they going to do, pick up their condos and go home?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

linoleum floors posted:

Remember when Horgan called an election and shitload of people couldn't loving wait to vote for him and thought it was fine to have an unnecessary election in a pandemic cause I do

I voted by going down to the foyer of my apartment building and dropping my ballot in the outgoing mail slot because we can do that here.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

Icing on the cake: 4 cops were injured. Then the EPS twitter account went out of their way to side with their fellow racists.

https://twitter.com/edmontonpolice/status/1363319943262044162

Are there not laws or fines in AB?

BC has at least been hitting the organizers of parties and covid-denial gatherings

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Danaru posted:

Wait what's a TFSA I wrote it off as some rich people acronym I dont need to know

Income invested is taxed normally but gains and withdrawals aren't. Kind of like the inverse of a RRSP.

If you have money to invest there's no reason not to do it with a TFSA, you save taxes you'd otherwise owe on gains. But the net gain from it is peanuts if you can't afford to max it out every year. If you've got $1000 a year to save, and you put it in an index fund making 5% YOY, after the first year a TFSA would save you about ten dollars.

It's just another tax complications that primarily benefits rich people.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

It is funny that O'Toole is apparently trying to court new voters and the party fumbled the absolute minimum of progressive concessions.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Starks posted:

it’s good how they don’t actually say why they are doing this and everyone just has to guess.

Didn't they say it might not have been safe for 65+ before? Now it's mysteriously bad for <55?

I'm really curious what the reason might be.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Went to pick up takeout from a Victoria restaurant and they had a "patio" set up in an enclosed plastic gazebo with 20 people all packed in.

Next to that, they had another six tables of people who were for all intents and purposes inside a walled building, but I guess because it was an extension with a corrugated aluminum roof it didn't count as "inside".

We're going to get hosed in a week.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I need two hands to count the number of times someone's tried to follow us into an elevator, stared confused at me when I stood blocking the entrance, and then muttered "oh right the covid thing"

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Went to service canada to get an official letter explaining why my wife can't get a SIN (it's because IRCC is slow as molasses, we've been waiting 9 months for PR/work permit) so we can go ahead and file taxes.

Representative told her "you don't need it, if you didn't work you don't need to file" :negative:

Anyway, we did get the letter, but yeah no wonder so many people miss out on benefits they're entitled to if that's the kind of advice given. Our public services are hard enough to figure out for me who grew up here, can't imagine an immigrant trying to navigate this crap.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

this organization murders the elderly to make money, but some of that money goes to public workers' pensions, so, it;s impossible to say if it's bad or not,

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I'm trying my hand at the pharmacy astrazeneca lottery.

Registration with Shoppers drug mart was super easy, the other pharmacies are a big pain in the button and you have to register through each company separately.

Would be nice if there was just one centralized public program for this. I mean, besides the one that's so slow I'm doing this instead.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Normy posted:

This will get you all the Sobeys pharmacies

https://www.pharmacyappointments.ca/

Thanks for this.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Great, BC has prioritized vaccines for pregnant women!

quote:

To book a vaccine, people who are pregnant can:

register at gov.bc.ca/getvaccinated if they have not done so already,
phone 1 833 838-2323 and identify as being pregnant. Online booking for pregnant people is not available.

Oh

quote:

I'm pregnant and need to book my vaccine appointment

To book a vaccine appointment, you must:

Register online or by phone using your Personal Health Number. If you are already registered, you don't have to register again
Call 1-833-838-2323 and self-identify as a pregnant person. The phone agent will book you an appointment

Oh

As far as I can tell the only difference is that if you are 16-29 and pregnant you can maybe get a shot in 3 months instead of 4.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Sassafras posted:

This r/vancouver/ thread and this one would have us believe pregnant people who call in can book appointments only a few days out and, if shot down, call back and get a more immediate result. Believe one of the daily cases threads last week had anecdotes to that effect too.

I mean, unless you/someone you know has tried a few times and found out otherwise - geography may matter.

I will try this tomorrow. Weird that they explicitly say not to phone in if you've already registered.

update: She is booked for the 12th :) Phone registration was very smooth, didn't even wait in a queue.

fisting by many has issued a correction as of 18:12 on May 5, 2021

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

The 125km bridge to Iqaluit is... optimistic.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Went to a fitness supply store to pick up a bench and the staff all had the valved exhaust masks. Dude who helped me seemed... irritable? Roided up maybe? While waiting for them to get it from the back I noticed they had the blue masks on sale for $14.88 a case. Then a few other items for $14.88 or $1488.00. Very cool, will never return!

This happens at a lot of stores. It's a combination of the last two digits often being used as a sale code and the fact that there are a lot of nazis everywhere.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Trudeau is many things, and he may even be a pedophile, but I don't believe he was ever convicted.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

why haven't they brought back carbonated brisk yet

for god's sake they gave dnL a rerun

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

I think good ol school hockey fighting probably prevented some of these insane life altering injuries by letting roided out 20somethings just punch each other futilely on the ice while unintentionally dancing around in circles for 15 seconds which gets all the testosterone poisoning abated for a bit

less angry hockey man smash grr I bet after you’ve punched a dude a couple times

except the part where the punchmen who got punched in the head repeatedly also ended up with life-altering conditions and/or died

see: derek boogaard, rick rypien

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

i'm somewhat sympathetic to pro athletes because they're among the few millionaires who have arguably earned it

training your whole life to be among the best in the world at a thing? sure, go get that bread

(ignore the part where the cost of entry is mid/upper six figgies and only children of rich families have a shot of making it big)

also they're still exploited by billionaire owners

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Even though that's not at all the case, "33% protection" is huge if that's the difference between a z-score above 1 and below 1.

That's the whole deal with herd immunity, no we can't eliminate viruses with a vaccine but we can stop them spreading enough that they die out.

anyway I still think health authorities that go completely hog wild while vaccination is still in progress are dumb as hell and it's pretty lovely for countries that are getting ravaged by the disease but don't have vaccines yet because they all went to whiny boomers who said wearing a mask was hard and compared not being able to go to a restaurant to the Holocaust.

I'm still going to take precautions until this poo poo is dead dead.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Now this is the sort of multi-tenant accomodation I can get behind private ownership of.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

anyway I've hosed off to korea because our cost of living is about 1/3rd of what it would be in Canada, and don't get me wrong I'm very happy to be here and it's a wonderful country even if I can hardly speak Korean, but it does leave a sour taste in my mouth that I basically wasted ten years of my life out of high school because I couldn't find a path to independence in our hosed up housing and job markets and now I've been chased from my home country by these very same bloodsuckers.

and I'm very lucky! My parents took care of me in my 20s and now I have a decent job and an affordable home! I can't imagine how hard it must be for people who are stuck in this hellscape without any kind of safety net!

A guillotine is too kind.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

He's also a piece of poo poo that won't do anything about our mold problem, so I guess I wasn't totally surprised.

My landlord told me that every home gets mold :thunk:

He also said that the mold is because everyone built a bunch of cheap lovely apartments in the late 80s/early 90s and they're all hosed so what do you want me to do about it

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

I live about an hour from Vancouver and my previous landlords two were:
- slumlord who refused to fix poo poo
- slumlord who refused to fix poo poo even when it was likely to cause electrical fires in his own house

I'm really hoping that the giant soulless REIT I now rent an apartment from is somehow more sensible than those two jackwagons. At least they test the fuckin smoke alarms and all my appliances work this time -- the last three months in my previous place the relays in the stove controlling electricity flow to the burners were loving sparking and popping so I just didn't use the stove to cook at all because my landlord refused to believe anything was wrong with it.

If you're lucky, you'll have a kind and empathetic super who genuinely cares about your problems (who will be powerless to actually do anything about them.)

pokeyman posted:

this is why I'm not really following the outrage about big company buying houses to rent. landlord shittiness is not predicated on corporate structure or size. feels like people are imagining their personal rental situation will somehow change for the worse and that seems as likely as it ever was?

why did the company get a splashy puff piece in the globe and mail? alright that's kinda weird, though it's weird every time it happens. not uniquely weird for this company

they're just gonna jack up rents for profit? what a change from the status quo

I'm not saying it's good (how about some rent control, enforcing tenant rights, and publicly-funded housing) but it doesn't seem to change much of anything

if there is profit to be made in buying real estate it's because money is being extracted from the people who need a house to live in.

if there is profit to be made in buying real estate after prices have tripled and people can't afford rent as is, it's because there is more money yet to be sucked out of regular people.

It sucks that it's been going on for so long, it sucks that it's still happening, and it sucks worse that getting raked by domestic megacorps isn't enough and you have more rich assholes coming from all around the world to plunder from Canadians.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Also yeah the constant puff pieces about landlords in all the major rags make me vomit

When the pandemic hit it was all stuff about "the evil banks are repossessing this poor woman's house!" (the subject had taken out multiple mortgages to stream rentals on airbnb and defaulted immediately)

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

drat can't believe we got owned for genocide by a country actively perpetrating a genocide

agreed, canada should stop owning itself

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Noblesse Obliged posted:

and recognizing Palestine is anti Semitic.

China is running the Netanyahu playbook in Canada hardcore these days

I think it started with the american right wing media suddenly going hard against China for mostly the same old nationalist reasons (they're gonna take our jobs/take over the economy/rule the world) but also mentioning Hong Kong and the Uyghur genocide as bad things the "bad guys" did.

For some reason there's a pervasive belief that it's absolutely impossible for a chud to say even a single correct thing, and thus they can bend reality by stating the opposite. So because Fox News hates China, the CCP is good. I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Rockstar Massacre posted:

you don't want to penalize apartment complexes too hard or else we're going to continue getting forever stretches of suburbs for realestate development, exclusively.

In korea apartment buildings aren't owned by giant management companies. usually one complex has a ton of landlords who own a couple to several units each. then the residents vote on which landlord should be the manager.

I'm not sure why that is. I guess there's taxes if you own too many properties, so development companies just dump all the units as soon as they're built rather than renting them out themselves.

Housing here is completely hosed up, in the sense that the rental system is crazy and doesn't make any sense at all, not in the sense that prices are high. My new place is $550/mo. Just over 1/3rd of what my rent was in Canada. I'm going to have savings! Imagine that.