Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

infernal machines posted:

mister speaker, i would like to remind the honourable minister of immigration, refugees, and citizenship about the incredible deals available from airbnb on short term housing

this unironically

ElehemEare has issued a correction as of 14:09 on Aug 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

it stopped being ironic sometime around when innisfil started paying uber to provide "public transit" services

Market-based transit service!

”Gord Wauchope, former Innisfil Mayor” posted:

Rather than place a bus on the road to serve just a few residents, we're moving ahead with a better service that can transport people from all across our town to wherever they need to go.

This sucks so bad.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Isentropy posted:

lol I was wondering whether Tim Houston’s idea to solve the housing crisis using the Cortland Cronks of the NS buisness industry would make it here

it’s gonna be a wild ride ending with a whole bunch of people getting PII stolen

They didn’t even Buy Local™️, it’s literally a company owned by some UBC EngiBro that skims 5% of the rent, and the landlord lobby has already outwardly stated they’re against it because it gives tenants rights they don’t have under existing short-term rental arrangements.

The John Lohr “brain” :airquote: trust is pre-occupied with keeping that lake in Windsor full of water, can’t spend any time thinking about housing!

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

DaysBefore posted:

They're twinning three. That one between New Glasgow and Antigonish which is almost done iirc, one from the city to Lunenberg, and the one in Windsor which they can't start until figure out how to deal with the most vital piece of infrastructure in the entire province: an artificial lake used by a local snow resort and property developers who want to build lakeside suburbs.

Don't drive so I don't know their numbers but also I'm sure that applies to all of them lol. Of course we could just rebuild the train network to reduce the amount of drivers and lower the speed limits inst- *user was blackbagged by the NSDOT*

104, 103, 101 respectively. They actually finished the 104 twinning the day of An Historic Rainfall, and as someone who lived in Antigonish for a few years the section they’ve cut out (Barney’s River through Marshy Hope) was genuinely sketchy.

But also yeah carpet bomb the highways and flood the Tantramar, keep New Brunswick out.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

I know NB used be a hotbed for reaction and religious agitation in the public sphere because of the Orangemen, but that's clearly not what's at play here. What is the source of this energy in NB politics currently?

Putting a boomer who lives in Quispam in charge.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

[canada] shitposting dans les deux langues officielles / shitposting in both official languages

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

vyelkin posted:

too lazy to actually make it so just imagine I photoshopped the Canada Post logo to say Canada Shitpost / Shitpostes Canada

Luckily it's my lunch time.

ElehemEare has issued a correction as of 17:27 on Aug 24, 2023

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

vyelkin posted:

ok the free tag giveaway is done if you want it now you have to buy it for yourself lol

unless you posted before this but your post was ambiguous or I missed you, if so I will still give it to you if you want it

e. Saalkin you got in just in the nick of time lmao

im not mad. please don't put in the newspaper that i got mad.

j'aurais un gangtag svp

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

can’t stop thinking about the awful stench of my rental car after I took it on the Tsawwassen-Swartz Bay ferry in the lower berth last month.

Is this just a thing BC goons have to deal with?

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

my second cousin got about four feet from losing his second home in twenty years to a wildfire (central okanagan) , so I’m sure he’ll learn nothing and continue voting conservative.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

ZShakespeare posted:

The food professor has entered the chat.

sylvain charle-blahblahblah please stop posting bad takes

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

RealityWarCriminal posted:

life getting you down? simply distract yourself from the bad parts for a while until you feel better

I took myself and a bunch of wine to a cottage in Cape Breton and it’s working for me.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

eXXon posted:

... high speed rail to the new Hudson Bay port?

https://twitter.com/apapenheim/status/1339500029741035520

lol @ the high-speed rail from Halifax to PEI(??) and then skipping past the entire populated portion of New Brunswick into Quebec (via Maine).

TheKingofSprings posted:

We’re a very deeply stupid country

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

DaysBefore posted:

Takes 22 hours to go Hali - Montreal, which is only like 14 by car

I took Via coast-to-coast in 2014 and it took three weeks, over one week of which was real-time spent on a train.

it's is not a real thing that anyone is proposing.

actually I feel strongly we need continuous 30 minute service from Tuktoyaktuk to Alert.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

don’t worry guys I just read in the CBC we’re gonna get 3.5M new houses by 2030. all we’ve gotta do is finish 11k a week until then.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

corgiwizard posted:

just make it illegal to own more than two homes and tax the poo poo out of the second home

won’t someone please think of the poor suffering REITs

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I'm bothered that liberals will use this to attack him instead of acknowledging how funny it is

:same:

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

T.C. posted:

Haha, Trevor Tombe extended the reports logic and if her uses that math then BC, Alberta and Ontario leaving the CPP would entitle them to a combined 128% of assets.

I only read it in passing but it sounds like they took the (from inception) sum of AB contributions into CPP, subtracted the payouts to AB residents, willfully ignored internal mobility across provincial lines, and then…. projected value of hypothetical investments they’d have historically chosen to make??

Literally the dumbest motherfuckers in charge.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Guess this explains why AIMCo headhunters won’t shut the gently caress up in my LinkedIn DMs.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

I’ve had more than enough things to be despondent about with the left lately, but seeing local lefties defending an NDP MP recently outed as a landlord with “they’re not really a landlord, they just own a home they don’t live in and someone they know lives there and pays for the upkeep and mortgage” might be the last straw for me to fully disengage.

Just absolutely broke-brained across the political spectrum.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Puppy Burner posted:

There is no left in the west and hasn't been for like 50+ years.

Like yes, I know it’s delusional of me to expect Orange Libs to hold themselves to any type of ideological standard, but c’mon, it sucks so bad.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

[canada] a void of nihilism that I mask behind a veneer of shitposts

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

I for one welcome our new landed gentry overlords

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

DariusLikewise posted:

what the hell is the bc united party

two girls one BCUP

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

it’s good because they’re poo poo and also there’s a joke here about “three mastectomies? in this crumbling health care system?!”

L A Y E R S

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

ZShakespeare posted:

I don’t understand why we can’t just force her to give us some dna so that we can do a racial quantum to make it easier on us to figure out how guilty we should feel.

genuinely expecting a bunch of Indian act blood quantum discourse this weekend from the usual suspects on can-twitter, hate to see it

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

The cowards deleted the thread but lol @ the big mad conservative media response to yesterdays protests.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Tighclops posted:

Kinsella and and Coyne and the rest of canada's pundit class are all unethical amoral weasels who should have been stuffed into a locker and dumped in the ocean when they were teenagers and the only good part of social media is being able to tell these assholes to go gently caress themselves

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

DaysBefore posted:

Lol they had to move the remembrance thing in Hali because the plaza outside City Hall is full of homeless people in tents. Cool how terrible everything is

Hey remember when Occupy Halifax agreed to move out of Grand Parade for Remembrance Day and while they were moving to Victoria Park in a driving rainstorm the police took the opportunity to simply arrest them instead?

It’s called personal growth.

Bilirubin posted:

I hate my garbage province

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Everytime I look at the bird app it’s just Jesse Brown posting about the latest greatest antisemitic violence. Except he considers it antisemitic violence to protest Indigo’s CEO running a literal charity for IDF lone soldiers, and describes it as a “reprehensible attack on a Jewish-owned bookstore.”

Kinda feels like everything will just keep getting worse and worse, forever, in this fake rear end country. sigh

DariusLikewise posted:

putain le quebec, tous mes potes detestent le quebec

moi aussi merci

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Virtual Russian posted:

Also self-checkout blows, Sobeys promised the public they'd never do self-checkout, they promised staff the same thing. When they saw the savings potential they immediatly offloaded that job onto you. Don't forget, when you self-check out you are doing free labour for grocery stores. The proof it is labour is that they will punish you if you do bad job. It is unreal that they get to do this.

https://youtu.be/h70fn1NStVw?si=MAPte0aQpGudGOBN

gently caress self-checkout and gently caress the Sobeys family.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

I have some friends who moved to the northwest of France to a city with <250k population with two fully-automated underground Metro lines averaging 115k pax/d because it’s so drat good.

Meanwhile I have just become able to get on a bus (if one shows up) by purchasing a digital ticket on my phone and showing my phone to the bus driver, which will take me to my general destinations in about three times the length of a normal drive or about the same as a walk.

Fake rear end transit in this fake rear end country.

Imagine claiming Halifax as the world-class Maritime city and getting your lunch ate on tap-to-pay transit by loving Fredericton, New Brunswick.

ElehemEare has issued a correction as of 19:37 on Nov 13, 2023

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Pvt. Parts posted:

that's just downright uncordial

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

good shoot

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

mediaphage posted:

relatedly a judge decided that calling plastics toxic was unconstitutional and “a threat to federalism” so looking forward to seeing the single use plastics ban rolled back

Jokes on me my grocery store stopped giving away plastic bags in like 2010. :smith:

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

work sucks hell yeah

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Drake no - evicting encampments for Remembrance Day
Drake yes - evicting encampments for the Christmas Tree lighting

Halifax says sheltering in Grand Parade this winter ‘is not an option’

quote:

The update, released one day after a Christmas tree was placed in Grand Parade, said the annual tree lighting ceremony will take place the evening of Nov. 25 following the annual Parade of Lights.

Build housing you fuckin idiots

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Buddy of mine made a joke about how our curling club is adopting a new charter making all pronouns gender neutral, and it’s funny that it’s managing to be more progressive than a lot of dumbasses protesting this poo poo — they only started letting women into the bar upstairs in the 90s.

flakeloaf posted:

lmao gently caress that guy

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Truly hosed up that somebody would be forced to curl while sober

They’re not monsters, they gave they Women a separate bar on the ground floor (which is also the kitchen, lmao)

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Virtual Russian posted:

What do you do with multiple generations of illiterate men that only know how to survive if rent is less than $400 a month?

To quote the PEI encyclopedia: “Shoulda never built that bridge. Bunch of drunken pioneers coming to steal yer pogey.”

Who could’ve predicted it’d be carpet-bagging upper Canadians smdh

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Actually Instagram has started targeting me with GTA realtor influencer content despite being a guy who’s only ever lived in the maritimes so now I think that l*xury condos are Actually Good.

https://twitter.com/friendshalifax/status/1732419020458979342

First they came for a block of fast-food and pizza shops, and I said nothing, for I did not want a Roethlisburger and a Stuffed Poutine from Xtreme.

ElehemEare has issued a correction as of 05:47 on Dec 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

those "2 floors of dilapidated housing" are affordable. the hypothetical 60 stories of new units will not be. we know this.

A 225 sqft bachelor apartment above a pizza place and (sorry DaysBefore) a passable Chinese restaurant is $1400/ month though. We’re cooked if that’s what counts as affordable.

Hubbert posted:

I'd like to know more about the New Brunswick greens.

Jenica Atwin was elected as a Green Party MP in 2019 for Fredericton (first ever outside BC), and crossed the floor to the Libs in 2021.

ElehemEare has issued a correction as of 04:04 on Dec 8, 2023