Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i was wondering when this was gonna happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Tighclops posted:

Why don't you post more and pull the thread out of it's nosedive then

can't ask the impossible

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

a primate posted:

CBC Radio Toronto had an interesting piece today about Amazon's new headquarters and the costs of encouraging a tech boom in the city. They had an economist on who argued that tech booms increase inequality and displace the working class. This isn't exactly news but what IS news is the fact that these issues are being covered in light of how much everyone seems invested in the new HQ. Radio One seems indistinguishable from rich liberal Boomer radio most days so I'm glad they had someone addressing issues that will primarily affect young people and lower income earners.

toronto's already been sliding this way for a while, what with most lower income housing in need of serious repair or way past their lifespan. the housing market, condo development and general disdain for social programs amongst many torontonians means this process will continue unabated.

incidentally toronto rates high on the quality of life index, along with vancouver and san francisco in North America, which goes to show you how important inequality is to being considered a nice place to live. montreal being the exception although it's still relatively expensive compared to much of quebec

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
ontario accepts its existence as terrible in exchange for getting decide most federal elections

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the maritimes are actually petty fedual kingdoms run by boring WASP axe murderers

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2018/01/24/tory-leader-patrick-brown-denies-allegations-of-misconduct.html

im surprised it took this long for these to resurface given that they were floating around around the last leadership race

Nebakenezzer posted:

Truth

Feudal isn't a bad way to describe them - good 'ol boys dominate the business and politics there, and use their power so squash anybody who 1) wants change or 2) could build a business to challenge them economically. There is a reason why Canadian tycoons like the Irvings, the Sobeys, the McCains etc all grew out of the Maritimes - because the pols were small enough that they were easy to make minions of. A second aspect (and I suspect this is a Canada thing, not just a Maritime thing) whatever unions that could remain functional, such as public service unions, could defend their members jobs, which surprise surprise mostly involved making time you've been there holy. In addition to this, pols could squeeze public sector jobs (which have good pay and benefits) for patronage, which gave the the pols an interest in the walling off of good jobs to politically connected insiders, too. This walling off was a giant "gently caress you, got mine" to anybody born after 1980

So guess what

All the young people who could, left. Also smart people who didn't feel like having the rug pulled out from under them once some richer thought them slightly annoying also left. So all the people who 1) could have reformed the system to make it better, or 2) was not happy becoming dirt poor or a minion of the wallers also left.

So now

there are no young people to form a tax base for all the olds that remain there. New Brunswick and Newfoundland will probably declare bankruptcy in the next decade: NB has had this coming for a long time, they've been trying to cut their way to prosperity for like 30 years now and the inbred aristocrats running the place just don't get that doesn't fuckin' work. NL has hosed itself over quite theatrically by in a moment of prosperity deciding to bet the farm on a new hydro development that is slowly causing its bankruptcy ever since as it turns out oil isn't going to have permanently high prices forever. If memory serves, Alberta has 10% of its GDP linked directly to oil production, while NL has 39%.

While pigfucking incompetence plays a part, there's also that 1) these are comparatively small provinces, and shittily diversified. So it'd make sense that the economic winds sometimes favor them, and sometimes do not. Paul Krugman talked about the "gambler's ruin" of small cities in America, and I think the Atlantic provinces are similar. NL being the headliner here makes sense, as formerly their economy was based on fishing, which has all the disadvantages of agriculture combined with the disadvantages of relying on poorly understood natural processes to replenish that resource, only having to move onto oil. Oil which is good quality but needs enormous investment from oil companies to extract it, which means you *really* want to be sure the billion or so you spend on that offshore oil platform is going to be worth it

my wife did some work down there and managed to interview one of the irvings briefly before one of their media people showed up and realized what was going on and immediately cancelled the whole thing, they're nuts.

I think what's amazing is that the maritimes were the source of some pretty radical economic ideas (at the time) the last time they were in financial ruin: the antigonish movement and the co-ops.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 04:34 on Jan 25, 2018

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/956605813602377728

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

Toronto's insane housing and rental prices drive most poor and immigrant communities into the inner suburbs where they have awful transit, poorly maintained apartment stock and terrible community planning. The city government mostly just views these neighborhoods as potential sites of future gentrification. Affluent downtown progressives use the existence of Rob Ford as an excuse to poo poo all over everyone living in these neighborhoods.

The average city councilor has a re-election rate that's about as competitive as a North Korean election and the council is like 85% white and 100% affluent in a city where more than half the population was born outside the country. I don't think it's hard to understand why people outside the core (and plenty of people inside it) don't like the government very much.

I'm curious if you know can confirm this: I had a prof at York I was talking to say that 80% of low income housing in Toronto is approaching or is already past its expected lifespan and we're all set for a major housing crisis (I mean if you don't already call what's happening that) in the next decade as a lot of these apartment building fall apart. I know quite a few of them are already.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

jesus christ

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 20:03 on Jan 26, 2018

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
im moving to whitby lol

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i'm probably like 2.5 hitlers

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Hand Knit posted:

I mean the dude who wrote eight increasingly-syphilitic autobiographies does seem on brand for Professor Peterson.

I forget is syphilis one of the darwinian truths or is it not because you go insane and die from it

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

if you read about the history of nationalism you will find that by far one of the most potent forces for forging a national identity is having an other to define yourself against, it doesn't matter if the things you think about the other are true or not as long as you can stereotype them and say "i know im british because im not one of those loving french people" and this toxic exceptionalism sinks in to your culture and before you know it presto you're a nation mostly defined by reifying whatever it is that sets you apart from the people you hate

there is no better poster child for this than canada

we could be 192/193 on some UN ranking and as long as america was 193rd we would see it as a huge accomplishment

reading 19th century american history, it's remarkable how america then is canada now, except america constantly defined itself as Not Britain. It wasn't until the US became a global power and it could cast itself as a world leader (now in opposition to non-Wilsonian democratic ideas) it left that behind.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

"we the north" is a banal nationalistic slogan that says the most fundamental thing about canadian identity is our geographic location relative to the united states

yeah but the raptors are really good this year.

vyelkin posted:

yeah that's really interesting

another thing I found interesting reading Linda Colley's Britons recently was how she situated British exceptionalism as particularly toxic because Britain was never forced to confront the evils it inflicted on others by losing a war and/or being occupied by a hostile power, whereas almost every other European country faced defeat and occupation at one point or another, whether in whole or in part, and usually in the 20th century, which tended to have a hugely humbling effect on myths of national power and superiority. Even when Britain lost wars, they lost them overseas and never suffered the humiliation or severe civilian casualties and repression of countries that lost land wars on their own territory, which meant they could perpetuate the myth of British exceptional glory and nationalist chauvinism without consequences, leading to continuing present thoughts that Britain can do everything on its own and doesn't need anyone else

she wrote the book in 1992 but the parallels to both Brexit and contemporary American nationalism stunned me while I was reading it

That is interesting! Does she touch on the Falklands War? That's contemporary American foreign policy to a T, except far more explicit in its attempt to remind everyone of British imperial power, but was perfect for taming domestic strife over the fact that a good chunk of the country's industry was gutted by greed.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 17:01 on Jan 29, 2018

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

"we the north" is a banal nationalistic slogan that says the most fundamental thing about canadian identity is our geographic location relative to the united states

I will say that broadly speaking "the north" as imagined place within Canadian nationalist mythology has always resonated with post-1918 Canadian nationalists. despite the fact that 90% of canadians live within 100k of the American border, we identify ourselves as a nordic people, and the north exists in our culture and history the same way the wild west exists for American history and culture, complete with cowboys and indians.

my favourite example of this is the NFB's City of Gold narrated by Pierre Berton.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
as a young person i appreciate the fact that they managed to expand CPP which was no easy thing to do.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

DariusLikewise posted:

my favourite is when the conservative party frames CPP and EI as a tax and its just big guberment taking your hard earned money to spend on trudeau's socks

most people think cpp is a tax

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

This is probably the lamest (and laziest) kind of political criticism imaginable but I feel like at this rate Trudeau Jr. is barely going to be remembered in 20 years. The sheer vacuity and banality of his government up to this point is remarkable.

Maybe there will be a defining economic crash or national crisis of some kind that puts him in the history books but I think at the moment we're on track for him to oversee the most banal placeholder government imaginable.

If Trudeau cracked his head in the shower or had a brain aneurysm tomorrow what would be the most memorable thing about his time in office?

he and macron are currently the avatars of liberalism in the eyes of tons of centrists so that's probably where he'll get his fame. being liberal in a time of populism.

I mean most of our prime ministers are unremarkable people more or less, drawn from the country's upper class, their accomplishments attributed more to their government than themselves.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Hand Knit posted:

yo dreylad, have you read The Vimy Trap? I'm thinking of picking it up, and also Warrior Nation? Basically want my next block of reading to be about the historiography of Canadian public history and how that has fit into attempts to shape Canada as a (into a) nation.

I've read Warrior Nation but not the Vimy Trap. I'd throw in An Incovenient Indian in there too just to mix it up.

Stickarts posted:

4 of the 5 goalies who played for your last cup winner are now dead.

Thank God for Gary Smith's 7 GAA that year.

maybe also critically re-read "Le chandail de hockey" as well.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 22:01 on Feb 6, 2018

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Hand Knit posted:

The Thomas King book? Already read it twice (not counting however many read- and listen-throughs of The Truth About Stories) :coal:

Cool! I'm just trying to think of a non-Ian McKay book that might be useful. It's funny, when I started out with Canadian history McKay seemed like such a weirdo for talking about liberal order of rule and all this focus on liberalism and isn't he a Marxist what kind of weird political nonsense is he going on about

and now, in 2018, I get what he was working on more than ever.

Point is I guess I should read the Vimy Trap. I'm out of academia so I needed like a year and a half break from reading stuff.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 22:20 on Feb 6, 2018

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah, and conversely that's why I read fiction when I was working on my degree. Makes sense, and hey Can history is a lot more interesting as a field than it used to be.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 22:38 on Feb 6, 2018

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

infernal machines posted:

In response, BC bans imports of aggressive rednecks, cowboys.

C'mon Bill! Trade War!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

infernal machines posted:

lmao, I was just picturing that

:hfive:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
That is best loving avatar. Tim Curry and communism, you lucky son of a bitch.

The NDP is so frustrating because there's examples and outreach of support from other left-wing groups in other countries but they aren't doing anything with it, let alone seeing way the political winds are blowing and shifting their own policies to try to catch the other parties by surprise.

It's ridiculous, people paid to just say "change nothing, we're good!" as if politics is about repeating the same thing until everyone votes for you.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

well yeah basically every canlit book ever is "canadian has personal crisis, encounters nature in an unconventional way, returns to civilization rejuvenated" so its only natural that we have a bestselling award-winning book where a woman fucks a bear

bear is canlit generator's final form

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
"first paddle of the year." why do "paddlers" sounds as nuts as horse people.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Do you like Huey Lewis and The News? Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
go for it, i'd like to see what would happen

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
smooth, like are braines

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

holy gently caress i hate this loving piece of poo poo, who was the dude in the other thread who supported Jordan Peterson, he should defend this

https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/961461529555210240

it's me

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Looking back on previous debates this is actually a step up for them from having nigel farrage on the global refugee crisis, arthur laffer on taxing the rich or nial ferguson on pretty much any subject

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
no...there is another

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
where is this happening

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

a primate posted:

so are we supposed to vote for the ondp and pretend they have their poo poo together or vote for the Libs and pretend they didn't just privatize a provincial utility corp? is this when drawing a dickbutt or voting communist is appropriate

do whatever it takes to get the liberals in a minority government position where they'll have to rely on the ondp an-- oh they'll just lean on the conservatives, right.

Yeah I dunno, it's a shitshow.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Reince Penis posted:

I sincerely hope Jordan Peterson campaigns with him.

was honestly expecting peterson to win the leadership after 4chan signed up half a million bots to write-in for him

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
he's beyond time & space

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
A bunch of Liberal cabinet ministers and MP already bailed on the government, Wynne's in it to...win it.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
If the NDP didn't oust Horwath after the last election are they really going to do it after this election? Unless they manage to lose more seats, which I guess is a good enough excuse to do it.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah, I remember Pinterest Mom saying the strategy was to focus on southwestern ontario. we'll see if that has any sustainability against doug ford, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

quote:

On a Tuesday night, with the usual throng of young adults outside the Bank of Montreal at the Royal York Plaza

best part of that whole story. I grew up in suburbia to know that this sorta thing is common but it's still really funny that the local Youths gather outside the local BMO