Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002

Helsing posted:

This is probably the lamest (and laziest) kind of political criticism imaginable but I feel like at this rate Trudeau Jr. is barely going to be remembered in 20 years. The sheer vacuity and banality of his government up to this point is remarkable.

Maybe there will be a defining economic crash or national crisis of some kind that puts him in the history books but I think at the moment we're on track for him to oversee the most banal placeholder government imaginable.

If Trudeau cracked his head in the shower or had a brain aneurysm tomorrow what would be the most memorable thing about his time in office?

People will remember him in contrast to Trump. In all likelihood he'll be remembered pretty fondly, not because of any great accomplishments, but because he was distinctly not Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 11, 2002
Honestly though I do think legalizing weed will be a big thing. Not that they're doing it the way I'd like, but still, this will be a very impressive legislative accomplishment that will have a pretty big effect on our culture long-term.

Feb 11, 2002
I guess he figures it's not worth the political price to bring up other drugs, especially with slippery slope-type arguments being one of the main tools of the opposition. I find they also don't make a big deal out of the potential tax revenue, probably so they don't invite criticism about their spending being so out of control that they need to legalize drugs to pay for it.

Feb 11, 2002
I also think the legal weed thing in Canada is a nice illustration of the relative state of our democracy in comparison to the US. Legalizing or decriminalizing cannabis has fairly wide support in the country - over 50% by most polls. And lo and behold, it's actually happening. More impressive is the fact that for the most part, the conservative opposition that I've seen has been more about technical issues than anything else. Their hearts aren't really in it, because they know that much of their base has no real problem with legal weed.

A pretty similar percent of the US population favours some kind of legalization/decriminalization, but it will simply never happen at a federal level. It would be a third rail for the democrats, who'd see it as alienating the suburban republican voters they're trying to court, and of course the republicans themselves wouldn't go near it for fear of alienating the reactionary geriatrics in the bible belt.

The fact that we occasionally can make progress in getting something people want is not a trivial point of superiority, it's really quite meaningful. Especially considering we've already won some fights that the US parties haven't even made an official part of their agenda yet (I'm thinking of universal healthcare, cheaper university education, fewer wars). Even just poo poo like getting rid of the penny, or replacing the $1 bill with the loonie, or the new plastic money. These things are so far away from ever happening in the US (despite widespread support), it really makes you glad to live in a somewhat more functional democracy.

Feb 11, 2002
Yeah I should have mentioned that all those good things are either actively under attack, or on the road to being rendered so lovely through neglect that they're eventually sold for scrap under our lovely neoliberal system. However, I've been living in Texas for the past few years and I'm pretty convinced that the US is irredeemably hosed politically, and nothing short of a third party taking government (which will basically never happen) will ever make the federal government functional for anything apart from funding the military. At least the left is seeing somewhat of a resurgence in the US; Trudeau (like Obama) puts the left to sleep and can get away with pretty much anything.

A simpler way of putting this is 'living in the US significantly lowers your expectations'

funny song about politics has issued a correction as of 06:12 on Feb 5, 2018

Feb 11, 2002
It hasn't gotten bad enough yet. But if it's allowed to decay through neglect to the point where large numbers of people are dissatisfied or dying, privatization of select parts will be offered by whoever's in power at the time. It'll seem like a good idea, because people in general won't appreciate that the decline of the system is not a natural phenomenon, but a conscious decision played out over many years. And if it's a liberal government that does it, it'll be an even easier sell because "they're the good smart guys and this is the best we can ask for".

Feb 11, 2002
The time for Charlie Angus has come

Feb 11, 2002

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I'm going to be in Nova Scotia and PEI next week. I don't want to meet any of you but I want to know what the good breweries and restaurants are, and I'm curious if Nova Scotia wine is drinkable

The signature appellation from Nova Scotia's Annapolis Valley is called "Tidal Bay" and most of the wineries in this region make their own version. I quite like the Tidal Bay and and Baco Noir from Blomidon Estate Winery. Nova 7 is also very popular in the region, but I find it too sweet. There are a lot of good breweries around too, but a lot of them don't have a huge presence in liquor stores so it depends where you'll be staying.

Feb 11, 2002
https://twitter.com/CBCToronto/status/1142101706353893379

Really looking forward to the PPC seizing power in the election after this one.

Feb 11, 2002
I guess I'm more surprised that Renata Ford had any politics at all. The way it seemed during the crack scandal and Doug Ford's election, she was just a passive victim of the right wing craziness of the Ford brothers. But now she's joined the most right wing party in the country, so I guess she was on board with all that stuff the whole time.

Feb 11, 2002
I don't think Ford can speak French. Hopefully that would help keep him out. But more broadly, I definitely agree with the prediction of an impotent and more reactionary Liberal minority followed in short order by a landslide victory by the absolute worst the CPC has to offer. 10+ years of Conservative hell while we blow past any reasonable deadlines to save the world from climate change.

Feb 11, 2002
My buddy works construction in Cape Breton and has always talked about how affluent Germans were flocking to the region and building fancy new homes. This is somewhat puzzling, because while the area is gorgeous, it's a little difficult to understand why so many German people were moving there.

Turns out that this is probably because they are motivated by a far-right, doomsday cult that has chosen Cape Breton as its new base of operations.

https://www.halifaxexaminer.ca/featured/report-german-nazis-are-buying-up-land-in-cape-breton/

quote:

Germany’s largest weekly magazine Der Spiegel is reporting that a right-wing network of prominent Germans, including Eva Herman, a well-known former news presenter on German television, is setting up a colony of far-right radicals and ideologues in Canada, and they’ve been buying land in their chosen location — none other than Cape Breton Island.

The magazine reports that hundreds of Germans have already signed onto the idea.

According to Der Spiegel, they are being lured into the scheme by German “doomsday prophets,” Andreas Popp and Herman herself. Both are notorious peddlers of right-wing populism, and part of a larger network founded by extreme right-winger Frank Eckhardt, who is known as a “Reichsbuerger,” or someone who does not believe in Germany’s post-war democracy or even the legitimacy of the German state as it developed after World War II and the defeat of the Hitler’s Nazis. Der Spiegel reports that Eckhardt sends emails in which he denies the Holocaust.

Documents obtained by the magazine indicate that Germans have attended seminars organized by Popp and Herman in Cape Breton to promote their extreme ideology, and participants are urged to buy up land on the island. During these seminars, Popp and Herman preached that the European social and economic system will collapse. They urged their followers to invest in land in Cape Breton because it is in Canada, which they view as stable and safe from crisis and collapse.

Although it is not clear from the article, it looks as if the right-wing network has purchased large amounts of land in Cape Breton, which they are now offering to their followers at inflated prices. Der Spiegel says it has documents that show Frank Eckhardt has potential buyers in Germany, who are deeply indoctrinated by his right-wing propaganda.

Already by the end of last year, the head office of German intelligence in the city of Wiesbaden was informed of Eckhardt’s political activities and emails by Interpol in Ottawa.

Readers may be able to identify some of the Cape Breton locations in the YouTube video above.

The video attached to the article seems to be a pretty innocent documentation of Cape Breton's rural charm and simple way of life. But if you look at the Youtube account, you'll find a trove of far-right German content with all the obsessions that you'd expect from the European far right.

I find this fascinating because this has been going on for quite a while without much notice from the locals (the Germans bring in a lot of business, so who's going to complain?), but also because the Nazi thought process is quite interesting. Cape Breton is extremely white, rural, and economically depressed, yet also beautiful and friendly. So in a way, it combines the fascist nostalgia and yearning for an imagined 'simpler time' of small villages filled with white people, but at the same time, gives formerly urban European newcomers extraordinary purchasing power (land and homes are extremely affordable) and privilege. Who's going to question folks bringing so much money onto the island, and how much scrutiny could they expect living in a land that capitalism has long since abandoned?

funny song about politics has issued a correction as of 12:06 on Jul 24, 2020

Feb 11, 2002
I know anecdotally I order more items and make more complex orders in general when I buy McDonalds with the kiosk. I guess I feel some kind of shame/awkwardness about asking for no pickles or adding a side of McNuggets, so I only do it with the machine. I feel like I can’t be alone in spending more when I’m not ordering from a person.

Feb 11, 2002
Those numbers are probably off by a factor of at least 2. My wife and I caught COVID a couple weeks ago but only she got a positive PCR test (I was later positive by rapid test). Now we know several other couples who are positive with no hope of ever getting a PCR test and being registered as a case.

When it comes to estimating how bad this will be for hospitals, not knowing the denominator in the equation makes things very difficult.

Feb 11, 2002
Our Honda CRV was stolen in broad daylight from the parking lot of the Montreal Biodome. Apparently it’s one of the most commonly stolen vehicles and it’s basically already in a shipping container by the time you notice. Not much to be done, and the police didn’t help aside from filing the report needed for our insurance claim.

Feb 11, 2002
It seems like it would be pretty easy to crack the case. Some decoy vehicles, a GPS tracker, a warrant, wouldn’t take much to get a good sense of where these things tend to be going. I wouldn’t doubt that some on the force are paid not to do it.

Feb 11, 2002

Suplex Liberace posted:

That is what i was talking about. Every house ive lived in had all of those walled off from each other. The way god intended, walls and doors

I wonder if the open concept trend will eventually die out. I hate the idea of living in a giant studio apartment where the living and cooking spaces are combined. There’s all kinds of noise , grease, and odor that’s better kept contained in the kitchen, but literally every new home built, and most renovations as well, disagree with me on this.

Feb 11, 2002

mediaphage posted:

i mean it isn’t an objective truth

room layout aside that grease and odor happens because you have subpar ventilation in the kitchen and should be considered a separate issue from whether you want an open layout.

and open layouts are popular because people often congregate in the kitchen when company is over so it makes sense for many to have fewer restrictions on the space

Yeah it’s true that this is what the market expects. We live in a 70 year old house with a very old fashioned layout and I can’t keep guests out of the kitchen even though it’s a small, closed off room all the way in the back of the house. Still, I generally enjoy the way it contains the mess and lets me focus on cooking without getting involved with what’s happening in the rest of the house. Different strokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 11, 2002

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/_llebrun/status/1784247291823439889?t=Kmo_KSbsKCi_7kDl0cK7Hw&s=19

Lol, well done, Ottawa Tourism. You successfully promoted crackpot conspiracy theorists who are using false advertising and fake sponsorships.

I'm almost tempted to wander down to Lansdowne after lunch to laugh at the dipshits and maybe check out the flea market.

Wow! We wandered in there after finishing at the flea market and playground today. It felt extremely weird so we left right away, but we had no idea what it was.