Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

klockwerk posted:

Brad Wall!

I disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Evil Joven’s brain tumour has made him pure rear end in a top hat lately idk. Next thing we know he’s going to be pooping in mall plants.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Yea, when Helsing/Vyelkin/Dreylad/etc were putting in effort posts a few times a week that elevated discourse enough that the poo poo posts were fun diversions. Now it's just poo poo posts.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Railway time, like the electric telegraph before it, are modern tools of the Devil designed to warp and corrupt God’s earthly Kingdom.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

DariusLikewise posted:

The new Saskatchewan premier looks like a fatter Andrew Scheer

That’s just how we look here.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

One greasy old fella in one of the greasy little prairie towns I spent time in as a kid got DUIed out of his car, so you’d see him driving a scooter all over town until he got DUIed driving on the way to the co-op. I think he even had a sex conviction from back in the 80s.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

sasktel doesn’t do any of that though??? :shrug: God Bless Crown Corpse.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

infernal machines posted:

Racism, Canadian style

Try to have a real dialogue and :sigh:

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Talking about race as a whitey is exhausting, and I get to pick up my toys and go home whenever I want.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Yeah I don't know how pluralising anecdotes does much, but I have decade+ close personal ties to local Indig communities including a nearby rural reserve that I gone to multiple times for powwows, etc. I guess our anecdotes can arm wrestle each other for supremacy.

I understand what you're trying to describe. But whatever you - as a businessperson - sees as deficiencies of the community that makes them "bad workers", I think are better understood as deficiencies of the society/State that put them, generation after generation, in a situation of abandonment, desperation, and defeat to the point now that they have no real opportunity nor ability to honestly engage in any economy. There are a huge amount of soft skills and formal training, learned over a lifetime, that goes into holding down a steady, successful job. And there hasn't been a chance at a real job on-reserve in most cases in 100 years. Agency and self-actualisation are learned traits, not innate. The TRC discusses this head-on about how residential schools robbed generation after generation of people of any parenting skills, each generation compounding and entrenching the issues of the past. Which means we don't get to sit back and cluck our tongues in righteous pity when we see social ills manifest. We designed it that way and it's a feature not a bug.

The issue I take is the way you framed your discussion - it was not around sociological factors that influence rates of underclass criminality, it was around workers not doing what their boss wanted and being "bad for business". Which is to say it was a discussion of symptom without illness, and effect without cause.

e. infernal stole my words including, apparently, "cluck" and "framing"

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

PT6A posted:

But, when you think about it, is that really worse than not showing up to work on time???

Vote CPC!!!

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

cougar cub, I get your frustration. My brother is a small homebuilder. I have worked off and on with him from day one doing everything from framing and finishing work, to site and trades management, to pushing a broom. I understand the investment you have in making your business succeed and the way your energies tunnel vision into it.

But your frustration towards the situation you are expressing here is butting up against literal centuries of colonial violence. It's not that you're wrong, per se, it is that your treatment and/or understanding of the issue is incomplete/lacking in critical context. At least in the way you're presenting it.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Nah, still just the post in Can-Pol proper. I guess I'm just trying to empathise and meet halfway/try to understand someone else's perspective and respond to them from there. Getting into the mindset of small business!

Suddenly I feel the urge to cut taxes and gut labour laws.

e. And eat babies.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I actually thought I have been repeatedly jabbing my finger at a giant blinking neon sign of a solution in two different threads, but I guess it's easier to strawman me about being navel-gazing and all talk no action.

And I'm sincerely glad you're contributing to part of a solution somewhere? Nothing of what you're doing or saying here refutes or contradicts anything I've said. Lack of access to an economy is a real problem with varying degrees of intensity and solvability. But so is potable water. So is extreme isolation. So are unsolved sovereignty issues. So is schooling at 70 cents to the dollar. So is untreated TB and HIV/AIDS. So are the umpteen other things that go into making reserves ~80th in the world on the HDI. A real solution to that takes a sustained (probably generations) and coordinated effort from all parties involved - governments, government programs, NGOs, private ennterprise, and individuals. JOBS doesn't get you anywhere near there on its own.

And dismissing conversations about the historical causes of modern issues as irrelevant is silly.

Stickarts has issued a correction as of 21:31 on Feb 6, 2018

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

And wrt to your "frank treatment" or whatever. Fine, but Poe's Law.

Like yea, I also find humour in the fact that in Indig communities terms like Native and Indian are often common, while in academic/political/formal settings you get "Aboriginal" "People of Indigenous Descent" etc., and then on the other side of that you get white "non-PC" communities using the same terms as your average Indig people, but even also using them potentially as slurs.

But I also recognise this is a public internet forum stripped of context that helps me distinguish people's intent. So if I am going to discuss the issue seriously I am going to use formal language. That's my favour to you, my beloved reader.

Stickarts has issued a correction as of 21:44 on Feb 6, 2018

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Hand Knit posted:

Was gonna add to stickarts/infernal's conversation by saying that hierarchical power must always present itself as natural/necessary,

I keep trying to wedge a "Leafs suck" joke in here but I can't quite make it work.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Hand Knit posted:

that's a shame, because you could never say it seriously, because it's the opposite of what's true

4 of the 5 goalies who played for your last cup winner are now dead.

Thank God for Gary Smith's 7 GAA that year.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Dreylad posted:

maybe also critically re-read "Le chandail de hockey" as well.

Pff, that's like fourth at best behind Log Driver's Waltz, The Cat Came Back, and Black Fly. Get your poo poo together.

e.

Hand Knit posted:

better to have the last one dead than the next one not yet be born

This took me a moment but I am now insulted.

Stickarts has issued a correction as of 22:11 on Feb 6, 2018

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

vyelkin posted:

my prediction is canada's next big overseas deal is to sell medical scalpels to the prc so they can more efficiently remove falun gong kidneys

"we're expanding medicare"

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Fellow :effort: UE checking in. My uncle is a weirdo and raised the money to build a cairn in honour of our family’s historical loyalty to a united empire.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

They put more troops into Oka than Iraq 1.0.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Reince Penis posted:

oh please I see worst posts than that every five minutes

https://twitter.com/juicexAntos/status/968704294018060294

Where does this fall on the park loving spectum

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Meet me downtown at The Fucks.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

1997?

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Kly posted:

admins or mods or iks or maybe all of them can change reg dates and were doing it pretty often in cspam a while ago

Looks like it is back to the posting mines for me.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

What’s the urban equivalent of getting your arm sucked up an auger? Getting caught in an escalator?

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

chilling stuff

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I donno to me that more has the feel of a family getting killed by a drunk farmer at a rural unmarked intersection

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

At least the smoke cover is keeping the temp below 30 ~small miracles~

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Looks like Tony’s there to finish the job for you. Also the look he makes while writing NP editorials.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I wanna watch that debate now.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

vyelkin ive come back to that debate like 3 times hoping to mine some pithy response out of it but it just isn’t happening. *makes lingering eye contact with the camera while grinning*

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

How do people stay engaged with environmental issues while avoiding burn out? For me, it comes from a sort of almost willful naïveté - I’m gonna keep on believing in the ability for both individuals and society to radically change and grow because otherwise I end up real nihilistic/misanthropic real quick.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Unironically y’all should run as independents or rhino party or whatever just to get up on stage during debates and scream the immortal science at the rest of the candidates.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Hand Knit posted:

So I started reading Clearing the Plains today. I'm looking for particular information, so I'm kinda reading most of it quickly, but I found a cool fact that I think meaningfully recontextualizes the relationship between Indigenous Peoples and early fur traders: Most of the early fur trade, the Europeans were taking on what was basically second-hand clothing. They wanted the soft underfur of the beaver pelts, but lacked the technology to easily remove the harder, protective longer fur. This meant that the Europeans mostly bought fur clothing that had been worn for several years, long enough for the protective longer fur to have worn off.

It’s a good book, OP. I’m still harvesting anecdotes and data from it. If I ever get it down to a manageable size, I will effort post it up.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

priznat posted:

if climate change wipes out saskatoon berries it wont be all bad I suppose

what the gently caress

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Only in cspam does CPC stand for Communist and not Conservative.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Imagine doctor strange from that super men movie doing his universe math thing, but he’s calculating all the different ways putting hundreds of guns into the hands of nazis and pride marchers - but really just the nazis - doesn’t immediately escalate into body counts.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I try not to let myself fall prey to such baser satisfaction, but two teenage nazi survivalist larpers dying like 3 days into their first real bush scratches a certain itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I own a gun and think u r dum.