Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Posted in the other thread as well but looking at the spotters guide for Rolex 24, anyone who wasn't Mazda has abandoned the Riley-Multimatic chassis then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

https://twitter.com/andyblackmore/status/955806576719179777

And to answer that question, SDR sold their Multimatic to BAR1 who is gambling the updates make the car closer to at least Ligier. At the Roar, they were running pre-upgrade version so of course it didn't do well.

Oof, that's not good. How did the RT24-P break out in the Roar? Was it at least competitive? I know last year the RT24-P logged the fastest top speed but that was more a side effect of it having a bit less aerodynamic drag than other designs.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

gently caress Jamie Whincup

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Yeah, you're right:

roar left, 24 right

loving 9200 RPM redline, those things are going to be ear-splittingly loud

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Eyud posted:

I like it but that M1 behind it... :swoon:

You can keep the M8, gimme dat M1

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cygni posted:

1:36.09 from Helio in quals, lol. After the roar, people were saying that the Acura was too slow. When will they ever learn about Penske.

Lol and Joest saying that they're setting their sights on beating Acura instead of Caddy as far as programs go, that's a risky proposition because every time Team Penske comes to IMSA they trample the field before peacing out.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

LOL at all the press running away from Helio

Huh I thought the quali was finished because T/S threw the flag, guess there was one more lap left :P

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

BAR1 5.6 seconds off the pace in the Riley, slowest car that set a representative time. Nissans and 77 Mazda no representative times. 55 Mazda P9, Alonso P13

e:

flying laps count

5.6 seconds off the pace, and 3 second behind the next highest Prototype doesn't bode well for that chassis at all, especially since it *should* be neck and neck with the other P2 efforts, and the leaders (in a perfect world). I don't think Multimatic/Riley is gonna be in the game much longer because they suck donkey balls at making a car.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

wicka posted:

What happened to the two Nissans and the second Mazda?

Mechanical gremlins kept both them from running on the pace, and in the case of #70 it didn't even leave the garage.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ive seen pro-am setups that have better simulators than speedsource did, and speedsource had factory backing. I would rather teams spend their cash on the track than on an off-season sim rig but drat it was a 39 inch TV and a thrustmaster t150 wheel lol.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

poster->post combo

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

34 and raining sideways with tires that refuse to come up to temp on PC cars

I see no problem with this combination. Put on the Benny Hill theme and you got a party :getin:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

So what's the story of Team Joest being broken and dragging halfway back through the overall field? Mechanical gremlins, car off the pace? Crash?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

an oddly awful oud posted:

So it turns out that Land Motorsport drew that insane 5-minute stop & hold penalty because they figured out how to arrange the fuel tank ballast in such a way as to reduce turbulence in the fuel tank, allowing them to fuel faster than the competition. There is no regulation about how the fuel tank ballast is set up, and all the regulated parts like the fuel tank restrictor were still in spec. It was a bit of clever Smokey Yunick engineering, violating the spirit of the BoP rules without actually violating the letter. Which makes IMSA's decision to end their race with that penalty even more questionable:

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/147156-pruett-the-strange-land-motorsport-penalty

You bet your rear end that they're gonna have black and white rules for minimum refuelling time now though, which sucks. On one hand, I applaud Land for the amount of effort they put in to gaining an advantage while still remaining within the BoP specifications, but on the other hand, if they had kept that advantage, it would have turned all 3 classes of the race into a loving snoozefest, because P would have been locked up by Caddy, GTLM by Ford, and GTD by Land, by a long shot. IMSA did a loving hamhanded job of BoP for this race, hopefully they do a better job at the other races.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LMAO no GT-R to give the other teams a chance to win, nice description on that video

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

Hitting the medical car should really be a 'go home and dont come back ever' penalty

I'm more surprised that the medical car was circulating without the SC out, but haha holy poo poo they should have been DQed from the race immediately for striking the medical car :agreed:

E: Stop loving talking about Jamie Whincup, John! Don't give him any more attention!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

lovely end but cant blame that on race control

lol what "can't blame that on race control"

They were loving asleep when that crash happened, there was a good 10-15s before the Merc came around the corner when they could have called FCY, I know at least one corner worker saw it and was shouting in his headset because he had his yellow flags out and waving frantically, but loving RC didn't call the full course yellow at all and the Merc plowed into the Audi. They're both really loving lucky they're not dead tbh.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

harperdc posted:

Oh Christ, that’s not a good end to the motor race. Everybody safe? Any video of the incident? Missed the end of the race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHZb_OmKS88&t=47s

E: you can see the marshal coming around the barriers shouting in his headset to race control as soon as the Audi tags the wall. Dude almost gets taken out when the Merc slams the crashed Audi 15 seconds later. How RC didn't react to the marshal calling a large crash at the top of the mountain is confusing to me.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Feb 4, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dudley posted:

I've only seen the video above but for me it's simple, if there were yellow flags visible before that corner, that driver in the Mercedes should be banned for a very long time for ignoring them.

If there weren't, then there are serious procedural questions to be asked.

There will be an investigation into it for sure, it was an absolutely brutal crash that a decade ago even would have killed both drivers. We will just have to wait to see what happens when they dissect the second by second time line of the crash.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I mean there's going to be a break down of

1) What did the safety marshal and the corner worker say to RC when the crash happened? Did they call the crash in or were they in panic mode?
2)If the called the crash in, what did RC do? Did they make the right call and call a FCY? If they did, did the other corner workers act on RC's orders? If not, are the corner workers ignoring RC calls?
and then
3)The race director has an override into all the drivers headsets, if the race control made the right call and called the FCY, did he get on the drivers radio network and break in and call the FCY?

Basically it's going to be figuring out who hosed up, and where they hosed up. It's a horrific crash and thank god no-one is dead, but there's going to be a lot of buzz over this for a while. This crash turned out ok basically by accident, because by all rights, if that crash had been just a little different we would have had one if not 2 dead or grievously wounded drivers. That crash had all the ingredients of a fatality accident, and they are both extremely lucky that they lived through it.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 4, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

freeranger posted:

So there is some camera phone footage of the crash where you can see the marshals post up the road.

You can see the marshal running to the post with the flags not waving just as the merc comes flying round the corner.

Someone is really going to be in some poo poo for that.

Sorry about the FB footage, as thats where I saw it.

https://www.facebook.com/Josh.Muggo/videos/10155069035091583/

So wait, the corner marshal on the corner where the crest is, was not in his post? He was off loving about when the crash happened, and so the yellow didn't get passed because he couldn't get back to his corner stand in time? Ah holy poo poo that's so hosed. The yellow was called by RC, but since that dude was loving about 10 metres away from the marshal's stand, couldn't get back in time to get his flags and warn the merc, which had already passed the previous corner's flag marshal.

Bogans gonna bogan. He's also so fired from flag marshal work, they'll never let him work a corner again. (I know it's volunteer unpaid work, but the point remains he won't be allowed to do poo poo related to safety again.)

orange juche fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Feb 5, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

That’s a huge fuckup and not what I’ve seen from heading to the race previously. It’s normally a crew of 3 with one having the radio hooked up telling the others to wave flags. Must’ve been the radio guy who was awol which is hosed

I mean they'd had an unprecedented run of green time, but the fact that they got that lax at the end is pretty bad, especially getting lax on the top of the mountain where all your corners are blind and fast. The drivers absolutely depend on the corner workers to have their heads on straight and let them know what's coming up ahead of them.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LMAO CAMS saying everything is fine is like that loving fire dog meme

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I dunno, if enough people realize CAMS doesn't give a poo poo, and safety crews are poorly trained, equipped and no-one's gonna finance safety upgrades at the track, eventually international drivers are gonna stop running there.

Just kidding they will keep running there because Bathurst is a loving exhilarating track to go around. Dangerous as all hell though.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

gently caress you 2018 you suck. :(

A wet fart of a Daytona 24, and now this? Too far 2018, you went too far.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Basticle posted:

I'm surprised this hasnt been brought up. so Toyota's WEC team asked that the date for Fuji be moved a week so that it wouldnt clash with the US F1 race so Alonso could do Fuji. WEC said yes but now Fuji and Petite Le Mans are the same loving weekend. What a bunch of idiots.

Even better, IMSA said stuff that poo poo in your tailpipe, we're not moving the PLM to accommodate one driver.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kilonum posted:

Too be fair, Toyota isn't even in IMSA, whereas in WEC it is the sole manufacturer in the top tier.

But now you have a large portion of your field whose schedules simply don't work because they have agreed to run both races. Drivers can't be in two places at once, either the Fuji leg is going to have a light field or PLM is going to be a light field.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Basticle posted:

But on the other hand, have you considered, gently caress the WEC?

Also this. WEC can stuff it up its rear end. I love me the 24 hours of Le Mans, but the rest of the WEC schedule, along with its race series, can eat poo poo.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

God drat, not even the magic of Joest Racing can fix Mazda.

Death, taxes, and Mazda gonna Mazda are the 3 universal constants.

Double sucks because Mazda used to do real good in the Rolex series from what I heard.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

You having loving USAC dude. Can you reach the keyboard from up on your high horse?

On the other hand USAC birthed the series that is the Pirelli World Challenge, which from what I have seen is a Pretty Good Series, even if it's not a top racing series.

USAC sucks though, so eh.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

This is true of any IMSA race weekend. I have gone to the Petit Le Mans many times, and a barter system evolves between the people who are there, trading breakfast for a ride to the nearest liquor store, liquor in exchange for hot shower, etc.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Yeah for barter system to kick in it has to be a full race weekend, i.e. a 4 day ticket. When i go to the petit I show up on Wednesday at 5 AM for a Saturday race, and we usually finally leave the track Sunday at around 11 a.m. after the saturday hangover is past. I also come with an 8 man tent and awning, 3 large coolers (1 booze, 1 for ice, 1 for food, oversize tent is to discourage theft of poo poo from our coolers by passersby) and tarps as windbreaks for a 2 person gig which is just me and my old man, and we stake our claim right near the turn 5 complex. We've got an understanding with the locals who camp there that since we are closer to the road than they are we make the beer runs and they block off a parking spot for us in exchange for hot showers and breakfast. It works pretty well for us.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 2, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cygni posted:

looks like its illegal streams for me again

Have you heard about our lord and master the program called acestream?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Just lmao at not throwing so much money away monthly on cable that you get every retarded Fox channel

I think its more none of the fox announcers knowing poo poo about anything to do with endurance racing, and also the 20-30 minutes per hour of commercial breaks Fox likes to throw in, even on the fs go stream. It's a pretty poo poo quality arrangement, but hey back in the 90s/early 2000s you were lucky to get the kind of coverage you get today, and earlier than that? lol you're lucky if you got a 30 minute highlight block for a 12 hour race, we really are spoiled.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Yeah the thing is the Mazdas are quick but in order to bring that little 4 banger up to the power needed to run at the DPi level, they're having to put several bar worth of boost into it and the drat things come apart.

If Mazda made a V6 engine still it would probably have found its way into the prototype but Mazda is dedicated to tiny engines so :shrug:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Road and Track wrote an article about the death of a Mazda racing piston during the 24H of Daytona, it's an excellent read on exactly what kind of hell an endurance race is on the components of an engine.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a25671/the-short-brutal-life-of-a-racing-piston/

Some quotes:

quote:

It's said that every mile of road racing is equivalent to 1000 miles on a public highway. That's easy to believe. From a mechanical standpoint, the sheer brutality of endurance racing is staggering. A 24-hour race like Daytona is World War II waged in a suitcase strapped to a roller coaster—hundreds of thousands of explosions and unimaginable heat, friction, stress, and violence, hour after hour, for one full rotation of the earth...
...B03 began life as a computer sketch, the result of one month's design work to upgrade the Skyactiv engine's stock pistons for racing duty. After the piston's architecture was subjected to SpeedSource's thermal and structural simulations, a solid CAD file was sent to supplier CP-Carrillo in California, which manufactured the component from forged billet aluminum. B03 was the last of six variations produced before the Daytona 24. Once it arrived from CP-Carrillo, an engineer put the piston through a 30-minute quality-control process, checking critical dimensions using reverse-engineering software and a Faro measuring arm that resembles a large, multijointed ballpoint pen.
On January 7, B03 was installed into engine number 5005, which then underwent a two-hour break-in session on a dynamometer before being crated and sent to Daytona Beach.

Several days later, in front of tens of thousands of racing fans, piston B03 liquefied in its cylinder under monstrous heat, and the situation inside the engine quite reasonably went to hell...
...Analysis showed exhaust temperatures in the No. 70 car reached between 1200 and 1300 degrees Fahrenheit, peak cylinder pressure hit 3600 psi, and piston B03 itself heated to more than 750 degrees before failing.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 16, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

Or FIA needs to allow DPi, and stop all this poo poo.

Cygni posted:

yeah

Its worth noting that the DPi programs have like 5x the budget of any of the privateers, which means lots of shaker rig and offseason sebring testing time. Which means better shock programs. Which means kicking rear end at sebring. Daytona is more privateer friendly cause there is less private testing there and its so smooth.

ACO/FIA have already expressed their willingness to integrate DPi under the LMP1 category, which would allow manufacturers to run the cars with custom engines and bodywork, which when you look at it, I think the Rebellion LMP1 is just an LMP2 chassis with a custom engine and some bodywork.

This would allow the FIA to boost their entrant numbers for worldwide competiton, and allows teams to go across the pond and around the world if they want and race in the LMP1 class with the same car. As long as the BoP targets for LMP1 and DPi match up after the 2020 homologation, they should be pretty competitive with each other. I don't know what will happen to hybrid efforts post 2020 if Toyota doesn't obligate beyond that point, maybe FIA will write it off as a loss as they've already integrated LMP1HY into LMP1?

Also apparently all of the folks looking at getting started in DPi, are also involved in developing new LMP1 regulations for 2020, so they're probably going to push to have DPi become the global platform for prototype endurance racing.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/brown-dpi-a-good-starting-point-for-global-prototype-platform/

Also Scott Atherton and Jim France are on the record saying that basically whatever happens, IMSA and DPi is in a position of strength compared to LMP1 right now with participation, and so they are working with the teams to basically bully the ACO into getting what IMSA wants as the accepted global specification beyond 2020, as the silly amounts of hybrid money have completely disappeared, and the ACO doesn't really have anything to offer right now beyond Le Mans participation.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 16, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

It is absolutely hilarious how quick the FIA came around once LMP1HY died though. In 2016 going into 2017 they flat out banned DPi from ever competing in the WEC, and said the teams could not participate at Le Mans unless they were to purchase an LMP1HY and run a full manufacturer effort, and now less than 2 years later they're basically begging to get participation of any kind in the WEC.

The pendulum of endurance racing is a bitch.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BoP already exists in LMP1 with the Equivalence of Technology thing, post LMP1-HY implosion. I don't have exact numbers on the costs of an LMP1-HY program but it was several hundred million per year per car, and while the FIA is loath to admit that they don't want 1-2 teams to come in and dominate the entire series by throwing down a Fort Knox sized pile of Euros and drive everyone else the gently caress out, they realize they would benefit more both in fan interest in races, driver interest and team interest in participating if they think they can compete for class and race wins, by keeping things a bit more even in the performance category.

Right now they're basically going to give the conventional LMP1s bigger fuel reservoirs, a power and torque boost, and a weight reduction allowance to allow them to seriously challenge for race wins, because unless they do that, LMP1 is going to fold at the end of the season again if Toyota manages to walk over the field due to having cars that cost more than the entire rest of the LMP1 stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

55 Mazda P2

come in joest don't gently caress this up

When in doubt, always count on the magic of the Mazda prototype program to deliver defeat instead of victory. Not even Joest can fix a car that is that bad of a lemon.

If they can get the car to the end of the race without it succumbing to mechanical failure, they will have achieved something.

JPM got spun around and now it puked its turbo out the exhaust :bisonyes:

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 17, 2018