Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

R. Guyovich posted:

characterizing the artistic process as an execution of some deeper, divine will is pretty much always navel-gazing horseshit, no matter which scripture is being used to frame it

Well, that's one of the 5 or so reads of the film. As I said, there are a bunch of people who see one of the various interpretations, immediately say "I got it, that was easy, what horseshit", and then turn to belittling people who got more out of it.

What's more pathetic, pedantry or pretense to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I assume you're suggesting Get Out?

i wasn't suggesting.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Well, that's one of the 5 or so reads of the film. As I said, there are a bunch of people who see one of the various interpretations, immediately say "I got it, that was easy, what horseshit", and then turn to belittling people who got more out of it.

It's not bad because it's easy, it's bad because it's bad.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

i wasn't suggesting.

Then if you have a point I'm inviting you to make it.

General Dog posted:

:rolleyes: okay, buddy

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 16, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

General Dog posted:

What's bad about it exactly?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Then if you have a point I'm inviting you to make it.

you misunderstand, i wasn't making a suggestion. i was stating a fact.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

you misunderstand, i wasn't making a suggestion. i was stating a fact.

Okay, well the fact was phrased as a question. If you actually don't want to have a conversation I'm perfectly fine with that. :cheers:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

There's no read of the movie that doesn't involve Aranofsky being a big smarmy piece of poo poo. If it's primarily about the creative process and incidentally about God, he's still comparing the creator to God. If it's primarily about God and incidentally about the creative process, he's making the same comparison. If it's about a bad relationship, it's about the abuser comparing himself to God.

In any event, it amounts to Aranofsky waving his rear end at the camera saying "ain't I a stinker? :iamafag:"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

General Dog posted:

There's no read of the movie that doesn't involve Aranofsky being a big smarmy piece of poo poo. If it's primarily about the creative process and incidentally about God, he's still comparing the creator to God. If it's primarily about God and incidentally about the creative process, he's making the same comparison. If it's about a bad relationship, it's about the abuser comparing himself to God.

In any event, it amounts to Aranofsky waving his rear end at the camera saying "ain't I a stinker? :iamafag:"

The movie is about mother, that's why it's titled mother!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

General Dog posted:

What if Aranofsky is a smarmy piece of poo poo though? Does that invalidate the movie or make it bad?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i lolled the first time i heard aranofsky speak.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

i lolled the first time i heard aranofsky speak.

Were you not entertained?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

General Dog posted:

See, the interesting thing about this is: I agree with this assessment of Aranofsky. From his interviews and the... tone, I guess you could say, that certain aspects of mother! and his last project, Noah (I think? Ah, no, there was a short in between those) had regarding certain readings, he absolutely does come off as both an enormous troll and a self important dick. And yet I can still get behind my particular readings of both of those films because the craft of the movie was so good and so seamless that I can't really imagine it being read any other way... and yet it can be read other ways, by people who can articulate well why they came to such a reading.

The creator of such a movie can be as smarmy and as in your face as you can imagine, but I still couldn't call such a movie bad.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

mother! was legit as hell, imo, if you're a realistic Aronofsky fan who realizes he's never, ever been subtle and he seems to love beating people over the head with the point of his movies. He makes amazing movies but they're typically super on the nose. The Fountain was the only time he's been subtle and that was less subtlety and more just a disjointed/weird/semi-ambiguous way to tell a pretty straight forward story.

Wasn't Best Picture worthy tho.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't have wanted mother! to win Best Picture necessarily, I was very happy with The Shape of Water winning that, but I think a nomination would've been appropriate. I definitely think it was one of the 5-8 best films of the year.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

esperterra posted:

Wasn't Best Picture worthy tho.

I think it deserved a cinematography nom at the very least. In a way, being snubbed serves its narrative as a divisive film ever better than partial recognition.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It should have been up for some technical awards, for sure. But I think that about every Aronofsky movie tbh.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

mother! was a solid three out of five which puts it in the upper half of Darren Aronofsky movies

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

mother! was a solid three out of five which puts it in the upper half of Darren Aronofsky movies

mother! earns 3 of every 5 stars that the average man earns for doing the same job

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Aronofsky is one the most interesting filmmakers working today. I’ve yet to dislike any of his movies.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i didn't mean to say mother! was bad i enjoyed it. it's just get out is gonna be talked about years from now and mother!...aint. bladerunner 2 was more of a snub imo.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'm ok with being retarded i guess because Mother! made no loving sense

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the baby was jesus.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

i didn't mean to say mother! was bad i enjoyed it. it's just get out is gonna be talked about years from now and mother!...aint. bladerunner 2 was more of a snub imo.

Highly doubt that. mother! was a huge critical success with people who spend time actually writing about film, and it generated enough controversy to be noticed by just about everybody else, which is kind of a big deal for a 40 million dollar flick. Not even 6 months later and people are already talking about its cultural resurgence and writing articles about its relevance. It also perfectly defined the hosed up year of 2017.

Groovelord Neato posted:

the baby was jesus.

Yes, but actual jesus is a metaphor, too.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

no not really.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

no not really.

Enlighten me.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand mother! The themes are extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of Gnosticism most of the scenes will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also Aronofsky's intellectual outlook, which is deftly woven into his narrative- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Jodorowsky, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these movies, to realise that they’re not just weird- they say something deep about LIFE. 

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

R. Guyovich posted:

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand mother! The themes are extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of Gnosticism most of the scenes will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also Aronofsky's intellectual outlook, which is deftly woven into his narrative- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Jodorowsky, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these movies, to realise that they’re not just weird- they say something deep about LIFE. 

The themes in mother! aren’t subtle and you write like you’re in the middle of a stroke and I can’t tell if you’re being sincere or not.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

^ I turned myself into mother! Morty! Im mother ricccckkkk!!!

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I love this idea that mother is bad because the director is smug or whatever

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

R. Guyovich posted:

Are you just making GBS threads on me in retribution for questioning whether you knew what 'earnest' meant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sponges posted:

The themes in mother! aren’t subtle and you write like you’re in the middle of a stroke and I can’t tell if you’re being sincere or not.

it's an edit of a rick and morty fan post.

• Locked thread