Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

muscles like this! posted:

Funny thing about Shape is that GDT made it cheap because he filmed it between seasons of The Strain and used the production crew from that.

Which is insane because it's the most sturdy-looking movie of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

R. Guyovich posted:

the assassination of jesse james by the coward robert ford has the best cinematography in an american movie since days of heaven

I didn't watch it. I'm sure it's good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

viral spiral posted:

Hugh Jackman and Denis Villeneuve not getting nominated illustrates why the Oscars suck.

Blade Runner is pretty easily Villeneuve’s worst movie

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

viral spiral posted:

Hugh Jackman and Denis Villeneuve not getting nominated illustrates why the Oscars suck.

Yeah, I can't believe they skipped over Jackman's performance in The Greatest Showman.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Not a fan of Loving Vincent but I think it will sneak a trophy, and in general the animation category sucks this year.

If anything other than Coco wins this year, I'll eat my hat. The animation category isn't know for surprise winners.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I thought it was pretty weak overall but I blame it more on the script and pacing than its direction. Either way Villenueve is going to make more betterer films and be recognized for them.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I was going to argue because I really liked BR2049 but honestly you're right

e: except maybe Prisoners

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Not sure I'd say "easily" his worst, but there's an argument. I haven't seen Polytechnique but I imagine you'd have to enjoy that one 100% on technical merits because the subject matter is pretty soul crushing.

Personally Arrival is the one that I find myself not compelled to go back to again and again like the others. Even taking the flaws of Blade Runner into account I've enjoyed watching it three times.

Edit: No way Prisoners is his worst. It's very tough to compare that to the more recent stuff though because of how different they are in scope.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Not sure I'd say "easily" his worst, but there's an argument. I haven't seen Polytechnique but I imagine you'd have to enjoy that one 100% on technical merits because the subject matter is pretty soul crushing.

Personally Arrival is the one that I find myself not compelled to go back to again and again like the others. Even taking the flaws of Blade Runner into account I've enjoyed watching it three times.

Edit: No way Prisoners is his worst. It's very tough to compare that to the more recent stuff though because of how different they are in scope.

my breakdown is: Sicaro, Enemy and Polytechnique are excellent, Arrival is okay, Prisoners is okay up until it gets derailed by a pretty terrible third act, Blade Runner is bad.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

viral spiral posted:

Honestly if you were going to give any other nom to Logan it would be to Stewart who pretty much eclipses anything else in that movie. I don't think that much of Logan, but I think Stewart replacing Plummer on the nominations list would make sense.

I think it's hard to slight the Director's Category. It's a really strong pack.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

Honestly if you were going to give any other nom to Logan it would be to Stewart who pretty much eclipses anything else in that movie. I don't think that much of Logan, but I think Stewart replacing Plummer on the nominations list would make sense.

I think it's hard to slight the Director's Category. It's a really strong pack.

I think Jackman and Stewart were equally deserving of nominations for Logan. Jackman's performance required more nuance than Stewart's did.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I think Jackman and Stewart were equally deserving of nominations for Logan. Jackman's performance required more nuance than Stewart's did.
I don't know about that. I think it's easy to mostly remember Stewart's performance as Professor X cursing a lot, but there a lot of quieter moments and choices he makes. For someone who seems to have escaped the downsides of aging, Stewart's performance is incredibly well observed in what it means to be a great man who has become infantilized. Compared to something like Allison Janney's performance that mostly slides by on the sheer audacity of what she's saying, I think there is a lot of texture to what Stewart is doing. They're both doing a good job, but Stewart's performance feels unique in what it's putting on the screen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

I don't know about that. I think it's easy to mostly remember Stewart's performance as Professor X cursing a lot, but there a lot of quieter moments and choices he makes. For someone who seems to have escaped the downsides of aging, Stewart's performance is incredibly well observed in what it means to be a great man who has become infantilized. Compared to something like Allison Janney's performance that mostly slides by on the sheer audacity of what she's saying, I think there is a lot of texture to what Stewart is doing. They're both doing a good job, but Stewart's performance feels unique in what it's putting on the screen.

Well obviously I don't have anything bad to say about Stewart's performance, like I said I think they were both deserving of nominations(although obviously they'd have no chance to win).

Really it's tough to separate the two performances because such a big part of both is the interplay between them. The way Stewart conveys the anger but also sadness and guilt about having a friend become your caretaker, and then Logan's protectiveness mixed with the traditional Wolverine gruff attitude. It's just so far and above anything else in any of the previous X-Men films. I think for me what maybe puts Jackman a little bit ahead is he also has a completely separate dynamic going on with Laura and his death scene feels like an absolutely perfect way for that character to complete his journey.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Honestly, it really should have just been nominated for Best Ensemble for the SAG Awards because I'm remembering how good Laura was as well.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Best Ensemble is a good idea and I'd like to see the Academy Awards adopt it at some point.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
I would of said the worst Roger Deakins not winning an Oscar snub was the English Patient beating Fargo

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Purple Monkey posted:

I would of said the worst Roger Deakins not winning an Oscar snub was the English Patient beating Fargo

There are also a few years where his work seems clearly superior to the winner, but not necessarily good enough to say he should've won. Like in 2001, Fellowship of the Ring beat Deakins out but it's hard to say he was snubbed because Amelie was also in the category that year and I'd have chosen that over Deakins' work in The Man Who Wasn't There. Or in 1997 when Titanic won for cinematography, my pick there wouldn't have been Deakins, it'd be Spinotti for L.A. Confidential.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the biggest cinematography snub i can think of is Children of Men losing to Pan's Labyrinth.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Zogo posted:

This year offers voters a 1 in 64,373,016,357,421,800 chance of randomly guessing all the correct winners.

How do the odds change when you subtract the three shorts categories?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the biggest cinematography snub i can think of is Children of Men losing to Pan's Labyrinth.

loving THANK YOU. This.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

As someone who's watched it 3 times this year, once on a 70 foot screen with Dolby Atmos, I must emphatically disagree.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

As someone who's watched it 3 times this year, once on a 70 foot screen with Dolby Atmos, I must emphatically disagree.

which one's worse?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

which one's worse?

Arrival, Prisoners, Polytechnique, and Maelstrom are "worse"

Here's the :siren:official:siren: list that I will allow you to quote for future use

Sicario
Incendies
Blade Runner 2049
Enemy
Arrival
Prisoners
Polytechnique
Maelstrom

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

which one's worse?

I wasn't too much of a fan of Arrival's look(too bland), and the story to me is just as lacking as anything you can criticize in Blade Runner.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Arrival, Prisoners, Polytechnique, and Maelstrom are "worse"

Here's the :siren:official:siren: list that I will allow you to quote for future use

Sicario
Incendies
Blade Runner 2049
Enemy
Arrival
Prisoners
Polytechnique
Maelstrom

there is no way Polytechnique or Enemy are worse

Basebf555 posted:

I wasn't too much of a fan of Arrival's look(too bland), and the story to me is just as lacking as anything you can criticize in Blade Runner.

Arrival i'll accept but i really liked the aliens which led me to forgive a lot of the stuff i didn't like.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Arrival i'll accept but i really liked the aliens which led me to forgive a lot of the stuff i didn't like.

Me too, there's a lot to like in Arrival and I wouldn't say it's bad. I think Blade Runner is just as good in the non-visual department and then it pulls ahead by being much prettier than Arrival.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

there is no way Polytechnique or Enemy are worse

:ssh: none of his movies are bad

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is Villeneuve still making a Dune movie?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

i think so, and i will say that despite me really disliking Blade Runner i'm 100% on board for it. in fact, a lot of the same things that i think made him a bad fit for Blade Runner make him a great fit for Dune

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yes, and it's going to loving own. I feel like not only is 2049 a really good take on the old Blade Runner mythos, but it's a test run for selling a mass audience on obscure, adult, long-form sci-fi.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Timeless Appeal posted:

Honestly, it really should have just been nominated for Best Ensemble for the SAG Awards because I'm remembering how good Laura was as well.
I would give it to Logan Lucky, but then again I just want that movie to get some recognition since it was really good :smith:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

achillesforever6 posted:

I would give it to Logan Lucky, but then again I just want that movie to get some recognition since it was really good :smith:

I think it's gonna be on Prime sometime next month so I'm sure a lot of people will get a chance to see it then.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

achillesforever6 posted:

I was super surprised by how quickly I went from "Really? You have Daniel Craig playing that kind of character?" to "Holy poo poo, Daniel Craig is loving killing it in this movie."

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

How do the odds change when you subtract the three shorts categories?

1 in 514,984,130,859,375. 125 times more likely to occur.

Randomly guessing all 24 categories incorrectly is a lot easier. A 1 in 229 proposition.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Gatts posted:

I did want his performance in Logan nominated but Dennis should have for sure.

Logan is a better movie than Darkest Hour or Get Out.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Judakel posted:

Oh, no. It's not.

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

Oh, no. It's not.

I can say with complete certainty that it is at least better than Darkest Hour.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Judakel posted:

You’re half right and half real real dumb

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Get Out is a nice debut with an obvious amount of real effort put in by everyone involved (both Kaluuya and Keener are great) but it didn't really land for me either. I almost get the impression from people's reactions to the film that this is their first go-around with critiques of contemporary racial politics in America, which isn't really the case for me, so... :shrug:

Kaluuya was also in that original episode of Black Mirror years ago ("Fifteen Million Merits"), which actually managed to horrify me in a way I can't shake off.

DC Murderverse posted:

You’re half right and half real real dumb

I'd just say that Logan isn't actually very good. All three films are just average fare.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 26, 2018

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Logan is great performances and great ending wrapped in a pretty middling movie.

Get Out is the most concise and digestible statement not just in film but I think in the broader race conversation of how modern racism is inseparable from slavery in a deep and ingrained way. I think the sunken place and everything that surrounds is also just a visceral cinematic moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Yes, and it's going to loving own. I feel like not only is 2049 a really good take on the old Blade Runner mythos, but it's a test run for selling a mass audience on obscure, adult, long-form sci-fi.

If BR2049 was a test-run for that, it failed. Don't get me wrong, I love Villeneuve and thought BR2049 was goddamn phenomenal, but its poor performance made me concerned they'd pull Dune away from him and "reconsider" the project. This is why we don't get nice things.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Get Out is the most concise and digestible statement not just in film but I think in the broader race conversation of how modern racism is inseparable from slavery in a deep and ingrained way. I think the sunken place and everything that surrounds is also just a visceral cinematic moment.

Agreed. Get Out makes me super excited for Jordan Peele's Twilight Zone, because it's insanely insightful and nuanced in how it approaches racism beyond being great visual storytelling. After watching the new Black Mirror episode "Black Museum," I was struck by how not nuanced Brooker's take on race in America and the prison system was re: the Clayton Leigh plot. Weirdly, that episode also uses "sunken place" imagery to a very different purpose, though not organically in that section. But the episode veers near discussing the core of that issue (the legacy of slavery in the justice system) and doesn't really say anything. So, a contemporary American take on anthology Rod Serling-esque genre storytelling made by Jordan Peele sounds loving fantastic.

Get Out probably won't win for anything, save maybe Screenplay, but that's fine because it's also going to be culturally significant for a long time.

• Locked thread