Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I might be rolling into town solo this year ): but instead of ignoring goons in favor of my group I'll try and get in on all the random games that pop up.

If I get a good spot in the line I might look for roommates for downtown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

What is The Mars Game?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cat Face Joe posted:

the mars game is where you run up to another attendee, scream MARS at them as loud as possible, and then punch them in face

In 2015 me and a friend brought our girlfriends to their first convention ever and we tried to convince them that people wearing tails were participating in a game where you had to grab the tail and run off.

They did not believe us

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I've had good times with the random players who show up but the guys running events have been hit or miss.

My character got into a rapey situation in the Atomic Robo RPG for Christ's sake :wtc:

And at the "learn to play shadowrun 5e" event the gm sat a single rulebook on the table and just let us go for almost two hours for character creation. Then we each got a single action in the scenario and without it ending he went "times up have a good night"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Haystack posted:

Gencon is blood

Fixed that for you

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I remembered that AAA is also a travel agency and can get hotels and such but I've never used my membership for that.

Anyone know if it's better/worse than the housing lotto on average?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I talked to the friend I'm going with and we're hoping for an airport room. It's farther away than the other years we went to Gencon but affordable and has breakfast. But with my almost 6pm time I'm probably hosed aren't I ):

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I went to AAA and they found a hotel out near the airport with WiFi and breakfast for about $560 for four nights. Not ideal but Uber can get me to and from the center I guess.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Deviant posted:

Do they have pepper? Because

OH MY GOD

THE PEOPLE OF INDIANA

HAVE NEVER HEARD OF A SPICE.

But Spiceland!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiceland,_Indiana

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Any goons planning to run rpg events? I like using Gencon to play systems I don't know/haven't played but I don't have a great track record with randoms. If I get in on an event run by one of you I can at least shame you as a creepy GM

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

WerrWaaa posted:

Would also like to play many RPGs that I don't normally get to play. Will gladly* play in bars. Mostly I want to meet goons. Will have non goon friends in tow though.

*prefer

This is me this year. Normally I go down with a bunch of friends but this year it's me and one guy who doesn't do RPGs. So while he's off playing Magic I'm planning to spend time trying to get in in goon games of stuff. I might even make shots Wednesday this year. Not 100% on that though

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Anyone have any tips of convincing the fiancee into getting a Gencon wedding? I mean I'll already be there, everyone I want to invite will already be there, and who doesn't want an obese man dressed as slave Leia in all the wedding pictures?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

But I could go to Gencon and get married two birds one stone. It's a win for everyone! And I could invite all the Gencon goons!

I wouldn't actually do this

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Are they planning to keep raising the price? I missed the last two years but in 2015 it was only $70

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

What's parking like if you don't stay downtown? We're at a La Quinta near the airport which is only a short drive away but I assume parking is going to be a bitch?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I used Park Whiz and reserved a spot all four days, about a five minute walk from the Center. It was $6-7 a day. Kinda sucked at the end of a long day to walk back though. This year I think we're just going to Uber/Lyft back and forth, it's a ten minute drive.

I've never used Uber or Lyft wouldn't that end up being on the pricey side because of surge pricing?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

nesbit37 posted:

Yeah, was hoping there would be a better way but might have to do that. I made a bunch of connections at Unpub 8, hopefully I grow them at Origins in June. Main thing is I want to line stuff up to do while at Gen Con for people doing live stuff there.

I don't know for sure if he's going or if the blog is one you'd be interested in or even how big it is but http://gamer-goggles.com/ is a guy I've known for years who is genuinely excited about drat near anything game related

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Welp the engine in my car just died so there goes Gencon 2018 :negative: