Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Maybe this year we can get through one god damned turn of that Mars game.

Incidentally, I can't remember the name of the game itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Oh god I forgot about The Mars Game, I may still have the app installed

I hope so, my Googling leads to nothing recognizable. I swear it was Mars specific but none of the Mars games I've found have the thousands of pieces and require an app to play.

Last year, my buddy bought a neat little journal from a booth. It had space on every page for board game info. Name, description, pros and cons, booth number etc. Designed for keeping track of games you try out in the dealer's hall. Anyone know which company that was, or know of something similar? I could just use my phone or a regular notebook sure but this was a cool thing made by one person.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ZachAttack posted:

If their was an app involved then it was most likely Ignacy Trzewiczek's newest bad game: First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet. A "refinement" of the systems he first used in Robinson Crusoe. Coincidentally it is currently on sale at CSI for turdy dollars.

Other mars games I can think off:
Terraforming Mars
Pocket Mars
Mission: Red Planet

It sure as poo poo was First Martians. Board Game Geeks gives it a 4.13/5 on the complexity rating and boy is that right. It's like someone tried to translate a video game to a board game without considering all the work the computer does behind the scenes.

My buddy responded about those journals too: https://conquestjournal.com/product-category/gen-con/

$15 seems good for something you'll be able to use at many cons.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Tickets bought, no late game missing out for me. Will Call because I'll be up Wednesday and will have all day to get them. :woop:

EDIT: I know everyone uses GroupMe for the chitchats; is there any interest in a Discord server? Also, whats the Wi-Fi situation at the Center? Every so often last year I would get a whiff of a free connection. Do they offer paid Wi-Fi? Probably not worth the price if so.

EDIT EDIT: :ohdear:

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 26, 2018

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ilor posted:

By "dungeon world guy" do you guys mean Adam Koebel? He had breakfast one table over from us at Cafe Patachou on Friday morning last year. I hope he was not too alarmed when BlackIronHeart and I were casually discussing murdering one of our roommates in order to end the snoring. Oh god, the snoring.

If your roommate refuses to buy and use nasal strips, you are well within your rights to force them on while they are sleeping.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Does he still get mad if you bother him at GenCon? He had a Tweet long ago that he was at GenCon for games, not meeting people.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Xotl posted:

Badass, thanks. Can't wait to get con crud and no sleep and every other glamorous con thing.

Once you're there, don't be afraid to spam the GroupMe with how lonely you are. You might get to meet up with a goon to do something.

Then again, you might get to meet up with a goon and that's a terrible thing.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Deviant posted:

Do they have pepper? Because

OH MY GOD

THE PEOPLE OF INDIANA

HAVE NEVER HEARD OF A SPICE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za_KilRD-do

themidwest.mp4

I know its an herb shutup

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Len posted:

What's parking like if you don't stay downtown? We're at a La Quinta near the airport which is only a short drive away but I assume parking is going to be a bitch?

I used Park Whiz and reserved a spot all four days, about a five minute walk from the Center. It was $6-7 a day. Kinda sucked at the end of a long day to walk back though. This year I think we're just going to Uber/Lyft back and forth, it's a ten minute drive.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Len posted:

I've never used Uber or Lyft wouldn't that end up being on the pricey side because of surge pricing?

It's been a while since I used it actually. If it's pricey the first day, we'll figure something else out.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

Holy poo poo they did it

Those madmen did it

They cut event listings from the physical book

Literally every single wargamer or gamer over 50 is now going to boycott

Woe be to those olds that rely on the book instead of anything modern.

As a second time goer, what does everyone budget for food? The hotel my girlfriend and I have this year doesn't offer free breakfast but does have room service.

I'm going with a rough estimate of:

Breakfast x5: $20~ each
Lunch x5: $20~ each
Dinner x4: $40~ each, to account for drinks and such.
Total $360~

Obviously no meal is going to match exactly this and some may even be cheaper. I don't remember the prices on the food trucks but I don't think they were much more than $20 for two people. Is this inline with other non-rich goons, and do you include all the outrageous drink bills in the food budget or "buying stupid poo poo" budget?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

enigmahfc posted:

How the hell are you spending $20 each on breakfast each morning? And you can get way cheaper lunches. Dinner, too, honestly, but I can see splurging because it's vacation.
Or are those estimates for the 2 of you? if so, okay, that sounds about right.

My first Gen Con was last year, and I never even looked at the giant book of events, just went on my phone for events (that I had not already got tickets for) or wandered around and found fun poo poo to do. The book was more of a hassle then anything.

Yeah those are the totals for both of us. The room service seems pretty expensive so I don't know how much of that we'll do.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've been told this Sunday is when events open for sign up. So start wishlisting!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

nesbit37 posted:

It feels very weird to me since I am wishlisting nothing this year. I am going to kind of miss the hair pulling out frustration that event registration can be.

I only did a handful of events with One Shot/Campaign people, otherwise I was just wandered around taking it all in. Might focus a bit more for my second time.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I solved the problem by only signing up for 4 events that didn't overlap. I did look at a lot of RPGs and finally came to the conclusion that I didn't want to be stuck at a table for 4-6 hours with people that I may or may not like.

Leaves more time for board games!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I do Games on Demand usually for like, one full day of the Con and it's always a highlight. Shout out to me in the Groupme if you go along and we can team up

Was that the thing we tried to do but they only had slots later, so we did board games until it was time?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

I thought tickets sold out quickly?

Its possible they sold out quicker last year, due to it being the 50th event. Checking my emails, I didn't even buy our two 4-day tickets until July 1st last year. I think they sold out a couple weeks later? Also worth noting that 2017 was the first year they ever sold out.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I got all 3 events I signed up for :v:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Philthy posted:

Forgot about Critical Role tickets going on sale today. Still got them, but man, they're nearly sold out. They'll need to move to a larger venue next year I think.

Which is "bigger", them or Adventure Zone? I know the McElroy's don't do GenCon (though Travis was there last year to walk around a bit) and I'm guessing they're already too big for it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I feel like there was a goon last year that ran Paranoia stuff. Are they doing it again this year and is there an event for it or is it more casual than that?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Well I hosed up and waited too long to figure out parking. The last 4 day pass sold out between the time I clicked it and hit buy, and ParkWhiz is sold out. Are there any other suggestions for nearby parking? Lyft is also an option but our hotel is 16 minutes away. The Lyft page estimates $12-16 a run but I guarantee it'll be higher for GenCon.

EDIT: Someone cancelled I guess! Snagged a Thursday-Sunday pass. Still need something for Wednesday but we can probably Lyft/Uber for that.

EDIT EDIT: Am I just missing them or are there no things like "Intro to Drawing" type events? I've seen all kinds of other art stuff.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 8, 2018

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Can I just make an "Official Stadium Business" decal for my car?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Can you order regular menu food in the beer garden?

Edit: Regarding Indian food; India Garden gave horrible stomach trouble the next day, unlike Haveli. There were also a lot of bones in my goat stew, like small bones. I don't know if that's normal or not.

Edit edit: I used my elven eyes and found the beer garden menu.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 26, 2018

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I didn't mind the bones, I'm just glad I noticed before I chomped down hard on one

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

enigmahfc posted:

This talk of pieces of bones in food is pretty drat gross.

Where do YOU like your bones?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pro tip for anyone heading up I-69/I-37 from southern Indiana; in and around Bloomington, everything is one lane for a while. Budget extra time if you need to.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I feel like someone posted it once before; how late is the parking at Lucas oil? I'm parked there now but didn't think to look for hours before I left.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Atomicated posted:

They threw away the shot tower.

I went to the bathroom then the tower was gone.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pez posted:

I hope I can see these fabled bees tomorrow.

In other news I played an impromptu DnD game with goons and I liked it

The non-goon GM is real good at improvising stuff; we're in a weekly group and he's good fun.

I need suggestions on games and booths to look at tomorrow. Root, Reef and Expancity are on my very short list, I don't know what is good or bad.

Bee game looked neat though! The real one.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

nesbit37 posted:

They had very little left at the end of yesterday when I checked in after the hall closed so get there asap.

What booth is it?

Edit: The map finally loaded on my phone, it's #3043.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 3, 2018

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Whats the deal with root

Had someone explain it to the four of us and they walked us through 2 turns then said sorry thats the end of the demo despite other people still playing real games

Solid 2/10, unsold on the game from that one different experience

Each of the four factions (6 with expansion) are trying to accomplish the same goals (expand territory, earn victory points, keep the others in check) while playing completely differently. The bird people are very strict in how and when they do their actions, the cats are trying to industrialize the entire forest with sawmills and workshops, the woodland alliance are guerrilla warfare types, and the vagabond/raccoon is a solo character that weaves in and out of the other factions, trading and doing quests to earn victory points.

It's very complicated and daunting when you first open it but everyone seems to learn how to do their stuff after about four to five turns. Once people know how their faction works, turns go very quickly.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Yeah i understand how its played but people are busting nuts over how good it is, and based on my bad introduction it seems very fiddley. The bird people seem like they get destroyed by leader loss every time and according to our demoer that is very true

Bare minimum, you will lose two victory points every time you can't complete an action from your decree; you lose a point for every Bird card, including the mandatory Loyal Viziers. If you're good or lucky enough, you can play all kinds of other card types to really branch out. The birds have the most warriors, I think, and so can build their roosts up with defenses. They also get guaranteed points every turn from having roosts up. If the birds get stuck into a spot, it can be very hard to remove them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

CubeTheory posted:

Wait, is it just Chaos in the Old World?

I've only played a half game of that, four years ago, so I can, with absolute confidence, say yes.