Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Fellis posted:

Oh ok, you likely did meet me, I remember meeting llor I think. I was on the far end of the table at the sportsbar so i didnt hear names too well.

And later yeah, I was knee-deep in For-Ex and don’t remember much. That game owns though and if you are looking for weird indie gamer cred, I will happily play it. It’s not so much fun as it is an experience in trying to determine how the butterfly effect works (although I and a few others enjoy it). I got brutally owned by a very simple play I didn’t see last time I got it on the table and it was great.

I'm considering buying For-Ex, so if someone wants to play it at Gen Con, I'm down for trying it.

Also, about Punch Bowl Social, when I went there last year, it was pretty crowded. We didn't have much of a wait for a table, but we were back in a corner away from everything and couldn't have bowled, shuffled, darted, or whatever else if we wanted to. That might have been Saturday night, though, so it could have just been the regular Indy crowd hanging out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Haystack posted:

I may have gone slightly overboard in planning out my wishlist. Color coded excel sheets were involved :spergin:

I've done that. Right now, though, I only have a couple of events that I want in that I know will sell out (YTCC games, Giant Lego Robo Rally) so I'm putting those on my wishlist, but eventually, I'll just browse by game time and time and jump into random events. (I want to play a board game Thursday at 5:00; what's open?)

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Clanpot Shake posted:

edit: also a few events don't have a location set yet, what's with that?

If they’re going to be in the main gaming space, it’s possible they’re still allocating tables/sections and can’t give a number or anything yet.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yeah, I got mine yesterday and had a brief moment of panic when I saw how few event tickets I had. Then I realized that they're moving towards scanning your badge for some events. (I know Super Robo Rally is doing that this year, and they're the most important event of Gen Con by far.)

I got some Super Robo Rally tickets, too, and I'm pretty pumped. I've spent a little time watching it every year I've been to Gen Con.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Deviant posted:

Go to his booth and see the bees or I will find you.

You're not my real dad!

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Lawen posted:

Are y'all sure that rathskeller has booze? I haven't been in a couple years but my (notoriously unreliable) memory says it was beer and wine only and I don't see any mention of cocktails or booze on their website.

I dunno; everyone went there last year, but honestly, if we can only get beer, is that really a problem?

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

LeSquide posted:

Is there area set aside for pickup RPGs? I'd really like to get some Flying Circus played with its creator!

So there's "Games on Demand" where you show up and get slots in games, but those are usually indie/homebrew systems (I think). For a specific game/system, you're probably just looking for something like the #GenConPUG hashtag and asking if anyone else wants to play Flying Circus.

(I don't really know about pickup RPGs; when I play them, I usually get a ticket to a specific game/scenario so I know what I'm getting into in advance.)

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Ego Trip posted:

Try the GroupMe?
That's where the yearly Fiascos and Moles games get "organized".

I thought "Breaking Bad, but with Dick Pills" was good, but whatever the poo poo happened in last year's Fiasco was loving amazing.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I'm reading the mixed reviews of Nyctophobia in here and I definitely lean more towards "good" than "bad" but I definitely understand people being less inclined to purchase. The shades are a gimmick, but one that really does make the game unlike anything else I've played before, and forces the team to communicate and remember their moves. (The hunter being able to see isn't that broken, because their movement is more prescribed by the cards and the presence of the noise token.)

I can definitely see replayability as an issue; there aren't that many different scenarios, so if you have a small group or a group that you play with very frequently, you could pretty much hit all the major permutations and have the game solved. (Although I guess you have all the pieces to make your own.)

All that being said, there is a special sort of tension that comes about when moving your piece blindly, although, to me, the most tense part of the game is between turns, when you can't see the board (and if you're hiding, can't talk), and the rest of the players are doing their thing and you're pretty sure one of them is doing something stupid but you don't know what or how.

It's fun. I might try to buy it because I want to play it again (and I want to be the hunter at least once) and I think it's not very expensive. If I don't get to play it again, though, that's fine, too. I'm definitely glad to have demoed it, though.

Also, yeah, The Mind is good. Not like "holy crap, this is amazing" good, but it's way better than you'd first think. Like, I thought it was pretty stupid and then I played a round and realized I was grossly underrating it. Coupled with the fact that it's small/portable and easy to teach, I'm definitely going to buy a copy if for no other reason than to throw it into my bag and take to events.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Your points on Nyctophobia are really fair. Our demo leader seemed like he didn't care much or didn't know much about the game so that may have had a big factor. Ultimately I think it's just a really divisive game.

As for The Mind, I encourage everyone to play up to Level 3 or 4 before forming an opinion. With one or two cards in your hand it doesn't seem as fun but once you get rolling it's a loving blast.

Yeah, the demo guy I had was great. He really got into the verbals on his cards and taunting hidden players to try to get them to break cover between turns. (The demos I watched had a different guy, and he was pretty clearly getting tired of doing it by late on Friday.)

Other highlight of the con for me: Blood on the Clocktower - Social deduction game in the vein of werewolf/mafia, but with a much more active moderator (The "Storyteller") and continued player participation after death. Their base game is great, and their alternate versions in the pipeline are nuts (characters that only appear to die; that swap roles with other people, etc.) and I've only played twice, so I'm definitely not fully finding the flaws, but to me, it's that sort of game with a lot of the flaws ironed out. (No such thing as just a "vanilla" role; getting killed doesn't mean you're waiting for the finish or leaving.) I want this, as the grimoire looks really pretty, too, and it looks as fun to be the Storyteller as it is to play, but they said it's likely to be 80-100 dollars on kickstarter, which is kind of a lot. (Maybe that's Australian?) I'd probably only ever get to play it at conventions, so I'm hesitant to buy it, but I really want to support these guys.

Also sweet - got my face 3d scanned and bought a warlock mini of myself. Can't wait to get it (and find someone to paint it for me). Oh, and Jeremy Hambly got punched, which was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Bottom Liner posted:

I heard a lot of good things about this but never saw it, need to try it out.

I probably should have completely missed it - I didn't know about it going into the convention, and they were set up in a corner of Hall A. Luckily, they were right by the door and I went by a bunch - enough to talk to the people once or twice, then grab some generics and get into a game, then grab some friends and get them into a game.

They sell it really well, too. One of their helpers just found out about the game like 3 weeks ago at CharCon in West Virginia and came to Gen Con to help them demo it.

Oh, and another highlight - Nemesis of Moles's dungeon world game. Holy poo poo. (And ORC STABR, but I didn't buy or play that. Sorry.)