Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Is it August yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I tried to watch one of those Geek & Sundry RPG productions but in 5 minutes it felt super obvious that everyone involved was there for a paycheck and not because they wanted to be. It was like sitting down with a bad GM at Gencon, basically :v:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Link us so we can all laugh and thumbs up Deviant's snark

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

my favorites

quote:

Whelp... Skipping a year is officially justified. Thank God I didn't have the cash for a ticket this year.

Gen Con is becoming a political soap box the past few years. It used to be a safe space for gamers of all creeds, race, sex, and political beliefs.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Necronomicon posted:

This reminds me, I think I'm going to bring my "ABORT MIKE PENCE" shirt with me this year.

Bring extra, I'll buy one

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The photo thing is weird as a photographer because in a public space (even private events like Gencon are considered a public space) it's legally fine to take photos of anyone at any time as long as it's not something like upskirts or in a bathroom where they have a reasonable expectation of privacy. The Gencon User Agreement/Terms of Service don't even mention cosplay or consent of con-goers at all, interestingly enough.

But of course anyone mad about cosplay is not consent is not concerned with that they're just being piss babies that can't respect social contracts enough to even wear deodorant, much less not be a loving creep.

I'm all for the policy of no touching or being a creep and would tell anyone that's groped to immediately press charges in a heart beat, but I'm not sure if any convention could actually enforce the no photos without permission policy legally (and Gencon should really include cosplay is not consent in their terms of service to both enforce it and show more support beyond just words).

EDIT: Holy poo poo the chuds on Facebook mad about Anita are sharing Jordan "Women Owe Men Sex" Peterson memes in their arguments, because of course they are.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 2, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Slimy Hog posted:

Caroll Spinney is a man.

He’s quoting an Anita outrage post on FB :v:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anyone planning any serious cosplay? I’m bringing my real camera and lights this year and want to take some cool portraits. You can see my portrait work here https://www.lightroomzen.com/portfolio

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 5, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

nesbit37 posted:

and it showed how terrible Origins anti-harrasment policy was since one of the stipulations of it is that if a staffer didn't see it then it didn't happen....

JFC. That's even worse than Gencon's.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

is that an emoji of con poops on the bottom left?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

What I’m learning from this page is that Origins is a big pile of poo poo

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

emdash posted:

Pins have been a thing for decades even in national parks and such

Yup I always buy one or two at each park. They look nice and support a good cause.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Toshimo posted:

Fedoras?

Utilikilts?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Philthy posted:

They cater to different gamers. In years past, Origins is where the Grognards go to play all the wargames. You will find entire rooms filled with a map of the world and some 90 year olds pushing piles of chits from the Austrailia table over to the Africa table. WotC also has taken Origins as their premier con now 5e D&D to mirror Paizo taking GenCon as theirs for Pathfinder/Starfinder. GenCon is more generalist boardgaming funtimes. Origins is more hardcore nards talking WW2 with non-stop beard stroking.

Maybe Origins is turning into a more generalized con these days? I didn't make this years, but I wanted to really go last year to check out a lot of new wargames that premiered there.

I was just making a joke about all the poop talk

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Just park behind the stadium for free

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Philthy posted:

Wednesday is pretty vacant, so parking might be cheaper that day. Otherwise expect about 22-30 / day parking. Uber/Lyft ran about $20 each way from an airport hotel about 10 mins away? We just parked, it was cheaper. I snagged one of those $10 passes this year. It's too bad the Uber pricing isn't like Vegas, it's literally $5 to go anywhere.

The lots around Lucas Oil are 10/day or you can get a weekend pass for $30-35 I think. These aren't the official lots but they are staffed and safe and it's 2 blocks to the vendor hall.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hey we're getting close! Time for me to start planning my weekend and set up some goon games. Here's what I'm looking to bring and play, as we get closer and I can gauge interest I'll compile an actual schedule. Quote this or message me on Groupme if you're interested.

Food Chain Magnate (4p)

Dominant Species (4-6p)

Arcadia Quest (4p)

Keyflower (4-5p)

The Colonists (4p)

Arkham LCG (Carcosa campaign 2-4p)

Kemet (4-5p)

Gaia Project (4p)

Import/Export (3-5p)

Star Wars: The Gathering cube draft (4-6p) - https://www.starwarsthegathering.com/

I'll also have a lot of small games in my backpack for random games throughout the weekend but this is the stuff I really want to do.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 19, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anyone driving can also park at the Indianapolis Zoo for $8 a day until midnight. Less than a mile to the ICC and a nice secure lot for the cheapest rate I think.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Root and Brass Birmingham are my only two planned purchases. Also going to check out the following:

Founders of Gloomhaven

Cerebria

The Estates

Yellow & Yangtze

Pictomania 2nd edition

Railroad Ink

Steamrollers

The bgg preview is good for seeing everything

https://boardgamegeek.com/geekpreview/7/gen-con-2018-preview

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Deviant posted:

So, who wants to do Shot Wednesday (Wednesday night, ???pm - ???pm)

and who'd rather go to the stupid fantasy flight E3 presentation (7pm - 830pm)?

Is this even a choice? Get your ffg fix on twitter and come drink beer.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That was a really good venue last year that closed way too early. Noise ordinance is dumb. We need more space than HV can give.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Deviant posted:

:siren: Wednesday Chat :siren:

Rathskeller on Wednesday night

Say 7pm?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

nesbit37 posted:

You guys are going to drive the Acaeum members nuts. They also have their annual group dinner at the Rathskeller on Wednesday night of Gen Con eve.

presumably they'd be inside, we go to the courtyard outside so the rabble rousing can go full tilt

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

They had some great beers too. I stayed away from that tower of evil.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That’s bait

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fellis posted:

I would be down to teach John Company but you also need to find two others patient enough for a 2-3 hour game.

Thursday afternoon, wednesday evening, or saturday evening works for me

I’m down but I legit thought that was a satirical post

Oh and play FCM/DomSpe with us

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Genconpug is a dead hashtag any time I’ve looked at it.

Anyone else getting into town on Tuesday? Let’s do something.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I’ll bring Spaceteam for shot Wednesday. Perfect table game for drinking and debauchery.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Deviant posted:

space team is an app though?

it is both. the card game is basically the exact same experience though and it's great.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

What's the codenames of this gencon. What new goon approved excellence do I need to find?

Root is going to be the big one I think. It's loving great too. For small cheap games though Arboretum's reprint is going to be really popular, and it's also very good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

OgreNoah posted:

My copy of Root just arrived on Friday and I'm bringing it, super excited to play it!

I'll be happy to teach and play any time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Container and small in the same sentence :stare: (I know you prob have the original)

I’d be down for that. Anyone here tonight and want to play something? @me in the groupme chat or post here

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ethiopian is My favorite food and I would definitely go with anyone that wants to try it

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Clanpot Shake posted:

I have some back-to-back events scheduled and only today bothered to check the map for where they are. I've got 2 separate ICC to Lucas Oil treks to make on Friday and Saturday. Does Gencon provide a way to contact event hosts so I can send them something like, "Hey I fully intend to be there but may be late for reasons"? One of them is a workshop and it probably won't matter too much but the other is a BSG game and I really don't want to miss it.

It's a 2 minute walk from the vendor hall, ~5 mins from the tournament hall. Should be fine.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Kaddish posted:

Have fun guys - first year in the last 5 I'll be missing. I'll miss your dumb faces.

Not cool babe

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

B E A U T I F U L
C R E A T U R E S

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 3, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Lawen posted:

I picked up Kids On Bikes and it seems cool and good if you like that type of game.

Me too!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Some demoers are real bad at the task :(

Interviewed the designer and artist for Root today and they both told me they love my photography, rad!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

I demoed Nyctophobia and it was real bad. The hunter being able to see totally throws off the dynamic and makes it very ridiculous IMO.

The demo instructor was kinda bad too though so I guess that could’ve ruined it.

The Mind is loving fantastic though.

Nycto is indeed trash, but I did enjoy watching people play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Yeah i understand how its played but people are busting nuts over how good it is, and based on my bad introduction it seems very fiddley. The bird people seem like they get destroyed by leader loss every time and according to our demoer that is very true

The birds have a lot of potential to run away with the game if they program well and aren't put in check. They can do the most actions of any faction if they go aggressive and plan well. They are designed to ebb and flow with the turmoil system though, it doesn't make them weak, it gives an interesting tempo to their play.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 5, 2018