Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

It's so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

their hosting is p. good

sucks about all the other stuff

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
more of a rio grande man, myself...

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
spoke like someone who doesn't own stock

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
their website is terrible but I still somehow manage to order stuff off it all the time

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
ordering everything prime delivery is dumb, learn to wait a week bitch

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
everyone who places 20 prime orders should get a "present" on their driveway

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Gazpacho posted:

everyone who places 20 prime orders should get a "present" on their driveway

like what? free amazon basics lightning cable? gift card?

don’t leave me hangin’, op!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Gazpacho posted:

Explain.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Gazpacho posted:

I bought some books from amazon three weeks ago. they were delivered yesterday. I’m 100% certain that they had these available in inventory the day I ordered them. the only reason to delay the fulfillment for two and a half weeks is to push people into paying for prime.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
more likely some hastily developed software tool got stuck on the shipment and the books sat in a tray for several days until a tech manually tweaked the database

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i've told this story before but amazon has or had a returns warehouse near lexington kentucky and one day a ticket came in that there were thirty pallets of stuff tracked in the database as sitting in the warehouse for several months, and they didn't exist anywhere. no one knew what had happened, probably the order got stuck and the truck was waiting and an employee just loaded them and forgot about it. since there was no documentation of anything in fulfillment software I didn't know how to make them go away either, eventually an old systems hand (of whom there were very few) had to explain how to make them go away: pretend to move the pallets into an empty shelf, then count the items in the shelf which automatically deletes the phantom items

some time after that i heard a rumor that a significant percentage of what was tracked in the warehouse turned out not to exist.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Amazon is a point of sale, yes.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it's really hard to believe thinking back on it but at the time i was there, there was no attempt to systematically explain to new employes even the most basic things like "how items are tracked in containers", even though the company had the resources and reasons to do so. I was thrown into meetings where everyone used TLAs (including confusing ones like "IPC" that don't mean what you assume) with complete indifference to whether the new guy understood, and when the next guy came into the team, I watched them do the same thing to him

on one occasion I sat in a whole session on this robotic thing in a Japan warehouse. after most of the session had gone by with the presenter referring to the thing by its code name and never actually defining it I said, "you've told us a lot about this system's control interface but uh, what is it?" and even then she couldn't pull together the words "IT'S A SORTING SYSTEM." also she kept saying "send commands to the vendor" to mean "send commands to a machine made by some vendor" as if "vendor" didn't have any other possible meaning in a friggin retail company

after a couple years of this i still felt like a poo poo idiot but at least I'd picked up a few bits of information that allowed me to be somewhat helpful. then one day a ticket comes in talking about this "bundle" tool thats part of a process i've never heard of that apparently exists in only a few warehouses and its broken and omg fix it right now! when I resigned I brought that up as one of the reasons I was convinced that I would never "adjust"

terribly, pervasively pathological organization that no one should ever work in

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 27, 2018

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

amazon is not the ice cream of the future

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

jeff benzodiazepine is the least bad tech ceo though.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

akadajet posted:

:wrong:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah they also give out really lovely laptops at amazon, another reason not to work there

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pram posted:

yeah they also give out really lovely laptops at amazon, another reason not to work there

I never would work anywhere I wasn't given a maxed out 15 inch macbook pro.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

alienware or bust for me.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

pram posted:

confirmed

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

http://internetwalmart.com/

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

now how lovely are we talking here for the laptops?

like getting hp probooks instead of elitebooks? or full-on ultra-garbage, lowest spec trash replete with 1366x768 screen, 4GB RAM, and 250GB spinning rust?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

akadajet posted:

I never would work anywhere I wasn't given a maxed out 15 inch macbook pro.

you can do this at amazon no problem. you just gotta buy it yourself.

also inside scoop some big changes are coming in staffing and there's gonna be a lot of unhappy people on the next month or two.

lol!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

President Beep posted:

alienware or bust for me.

matches your av

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i like buying poo poo from amazon. i would never actually want to work there haha

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

like getting hp probooks instead of elitebooks? or full-on ultra-garbage, lowest spec trash replete with 1366x768 screen, 4GB RAM, and 250GB spinning rust?

i'm guessing it's whatever garbage dell or hp has with tn screens.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

SO DEMANDING posted:

vga port lovely

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

s video?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

pram posted:

vga port lovely
with (in my case) a nipple stick and a mouse driver that randomly pauses while you are in the middle of something important

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pram posted:

vga port lovely

so.. every windows laptop ever then?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

it used to be if you knew exactly what you wanted it was p good but now you search for something and the results are just a bunch of garbage

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Elder Postsman posted:

it used to be if you knew exactly what you wanted it was p good but now you search for something and the results are just a bunch of garbage

don’t sign your posts

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the packing desks that amazon gives to corporate employees to do their work on are supposed to symbolize frugality and the spirit of construction, like marine recruits assembling their own bunks to sleep on, but really they're an example of the company's indifference to the question of how to make a work environment productive

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

the packing desks that amazon gives to corporate employees to do their work on are supposed to symbolize frugality and the spirit of construction, like marine recruits assembling their own bunks to sleep on, but really they're an example of the company's indifference to the question of how to make a work environment productive

they're not that cheap anymore either, and nobody here builds them anymore. also most people just do an ergo consult and get an adjustable desk, so they might as well just start switching people over to those.

also the laptop/desktop situation sucked for years but about 2 or so years back that was finally fixed.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I have a friend thats actually getting rid of prime and stopping really using amazon at all simply because they're sick of all the unreliable 3rd party garbage that infects the site now

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

also inside scoop some big changes are coming in staffing and there's gonna be a lot of unhappy people on the next month or two.

i'd bet over the next 10 years amazon sheds like 50% of its full time employees.

also iirc i find it very weird that i've probably talked with fuzzywife directly.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

The Management posted:

I bought some books from amazon three weeks ago. they were delivered yesterday. I’m 100% certain that they had these available in inventory the day I ordered them. the only reason to delay the fulfillment for two and a half weeks is to push people into paying for prime.

I heard of a company which assembled bikes from custom-selected parts to a user's specifications. Their process was so efficient that they were able to deliver almost all of their finished bikes the next day, as standard, for no particular extra charge. Customers found this so spooky that the company took to leaving the bikes in a warehouse for a few days by default and charging extra for next- or same-day delivery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

akadajet posted:

lol no

• Locked thread