Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Gazpacho posted:

the question was about Amazon as a short-term career move, and imo recognized skills are more valuable on a resume than a big company's name. like, I did rack up some service development experience there, but it means very little for finding a job elsewhere because nobody does a keyword search for codigo or apollo and a lot of that experience was about sustaining antipatterns

Rejecting a team that does otherwise interesting work just because it has some use of internal tools seems too picky to me. Coral in particular is not going to take a lot of time or pain to learn, and doesn't mean you won't get other opportunities to add AWS keywords to your resume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

pram posted:

the experience you get from giant companies is usually worthless because you end up working on some extremely specific horseshit that doesnt exist without insanely bloated budgets and entrenched fiefdoms

Depends on the role. My first role was with a big company and I was in a position that had a huge amount of exposure to a large large chunk of the business, so every gently caress up was highly visible. Those first four years of my career taught me a lot about how to do and how not to do software engineering.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Tfw when you order same day shipping and then it says delayed for 3 days so you just order again for next day shipping and return the first poo poo later costing Amazon money bc they can't simply manage their in-progress shipping process.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

dividertabs posted:

Rejecting a team that does otherwise interesting work just because it has some use of internal tools seems too picky to me. Coral in particular is not going to take a lot of time or pain to learn, and doesn't mean you won't get other opportunities to add AWS keywords to your resume.

i think one thing to watch out for is that as more and more companies switch to work samples/projects you need to keep your "setup a service in go/javascript/java using common libraries" skills up to date. can't just click a few buttons for an rpc service in the real world, unfortunately :(.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

emoji posted:

Tfw when you order same day shipping and then it says delayed for 3 days so you just order again for next day shipping and return the first poo poo later costing Amazon money bc they can't simply manage their in-progress shipping process.

tfw you realize that it doesn't really matter, because in the time it takes jeff bezos to cut an 8 second fart he's been paid double your salary

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

dividertabs posted:

i was on a team that didn’t want to use coral because it was “too much overhead” and wanted to roll their own thing based on jersey

that was a good time

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

tfw you realize that it doesn't really matter, because in the time it takes jeff bezos to cut an 8 second fart he's been paid double your salary

Oh I know it doesn't matter for me personally but they could save a lot of money by not being dumb about their shipping process and modifying shipments in transit better which they obviously have some level of control over

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
he’s so rich

he could dig a new ocean or some poo poo

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

echinopsis posted:

he’s so rich

idk I played a lot of transport tycoon and digging oceans was crazy expensive

also I'm pretty sure the same logic there applies to amazon: build railways across your competitor's roads, corral their trucks into one bit of them by selling the roads from under them then drive a train through and blow up their trucks

yes the delivery drivers died, but that's a small price for success

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

idk I played a lot of transport tycoon and digging oceans was crazy expensive

also I'm pretty sure the same logic there applies to amazon: build railways across your competitor's roads, corral their trucks into one bit of them by selling the roads from under them then drive a train through and blow up their trucks

yes the delivery drivers died, but that's a small price for success

Did OpenTTD ever add a kill count?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol i’m sure there is some state in the US willing to exempt amazon from health and safety regulations

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

echinopsis posted:

lol i’m sure there is some state in the US willing to exempt amazon from health and safety regulations

texas has you covered.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

echinopsis posted:

lol there absolutely are several states in the US willing to exempt amazon from health and safety regulations

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I heard there were teams working with Perl and HTML::Mason

wanna work on Go, don’t know Java, don’t wanna know Java

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Coffee Jones posted:

paul html::mason champagne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFevH5vP32s

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i7ycxiog40

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Coffee Jones posted:

i see, so you hate yourself then

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.
I don't remember what it was that gave me it, but I have the distinct of impression in my mind that the CEO of Amazon is in fact a psychopath with no self awareness what so ever.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

the clue’s hidden in plain sight.

:ms:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

I don't remember what it was that gave me it, but I have the distinct of impression in my mind that the CEO of Amazon is in fact a psychopath with no self awareness what so ever.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Coffee Jones posted:

perl and mason are what php should have been. I WILL DIE ON THIS HILL. perl is poo poo but php is even more poo poo and has a history of godawful baggage. the only good things about php over perl are that it has a grammar and a better object system (though moose is cool).

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
therewillbequoteisnotedit

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yup. you can see the tops of the whites of his eyes. a few different life choices and jeff there would’ve been known as the seattle strangler or some poo poo.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

jeff bezos is worth 121.2 billion dollars, and the subcontracted employees working in his warehouses are dying of fatigue

that was probably it

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Coffee Jones posted:

the perl/mason retail website is like the php monolith that facebook has (had?). its this thing that most sane people have migrated out of but still persists because of the thousands of random one-off pages that are hosted on it that nobody cares to migrate.

there's a few teams who are using go, though most of the ones i've talked to are becoming less and less fans of it. rust is becoming more of a thing for a lot of teams who are writing systems code because it lets them get away from the hellscape that is c++ inside of amazon.

There Will Be Penalty posted:

perl and mason are what php should have been. I WILL DIE ON THIS HILL. perl is poo poo but php is even more poo poo and has a history of godawful baggage. the only good things about php over perl are that it has a grammar and a better object system (though moose is cool).

i too enjoy writing concurrent code through shared_vars and 18 prepare methods

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

echinopsis posted:

he’s so rich

boom, world saved

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

release the spider army jeff

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

NEED MORE MILK posted:

I live in a house and don’t have a mail room

guess the carrier

this happened again, twice in 4 days

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

NEED MORE MILK posted:

this happened again, twice in 4 days

I complained to them that the Amazon delivery people always gently caress stuff up while other carriers do not and I haven’t had a problem since. Hasn’t been too long though so maybe I’m just getting lucky.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

There Will Be Penalty posted:

:agreed: during my first year and a half i would have killed to work on a Mason site rather than the CGI.pm shitheap i was stuck with

otoh it's not a marketable skill anywhere except amazon

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 3, 2018

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

tk posted:

I complained to them that the Amazon delivery people always gently caress stuff up while other carriers do not and I haven’t had a problem since. Hasn’t been too long though so maybe I’m just getting lucky.

I’d happily opt out of their carrier if they would allow it

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
PHP is great, especially newer versions of it, but it's always been pretty good for when you need to output some HTML based on some POST data and MySQL stuff.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hustle Hound posted:

boom, world saved

this poo poo sucks

build a fuckin stone pyramid thats the tallest man made thing on earth. make something that will last for THOUSANDS of years

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

echinopsis posted:

this poo poo sucks

make something that will last for THOUSANDS of years

that’s what the little air cushion thingies they put in their packaging is for.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

echinopsis posted:

this poo poo sucks

build a fuckin stone pyramid thats the tallest man made thing on earth. make something that will last for THOUSANDS of years

maybe the pharaohs used the pyramids as distribution centers for their delivery service empire

also, this thread reminded me of how bezos tried to steve jobs the firephone https://www.fastcompany.com/3039887/under-fire

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

also, this thread reminded me of how bezos tried to steve jobs the firephone https://www.fastcompany.com/3039887/under-fire
such a good article

quote:

“In meetings, all Jeff talked about was, ‘3-D, 3-D, 3-D!’ He had this childlike excitement about the feature and no one could understand why,” recalls a former engineering head who worked solely on Dynamic Perspective for years. “We poured surreal amounts of money into it, yet we all thought it had no value for the customer, which was the biggest irony. Whenever anyone asked why we were doing this, the answer was, ‘Because Jeff wants it.’ No one thought the feature justified the cost to the project. No one. Absolutely no one.”

tech execs trying to be stebe jorbs and failing are some of my favorite tech buble stories

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

echinopsis posted:

this poo poo sucks

You can tell it's an artist's impression because holy poo poo, where are the potholes and the idiots gridlocking the intersections. This is not my Seattle.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

FMguru posted:

such a good article

tech execs trying to be stebe jorbs and failing are some of my favorite tech buble stories

bezos is just another goon begging for 3d forums posting

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

that’s what the little air cushion thingies they put in their packaging is for.
:monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

echinopsis posted:

this poo poo sucks

• Locked thread