Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
If amazon Linux tracked centos in the past it certainly doesn't now, the update policies are completely different in that amazon Linux regularly pulls new upstream versions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

If amazon Linux tracked centos in the past it certainly doesn't now, the update policies are completely different in that amazon Linux regularly pulls new upstream versions

amazon linux only updates a handful of packages chosen by amazon

much like ubuntu vs debian

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Two great brands, better together

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

echinopsis posted:

this poo poo sucks

build a fuckin stone pyramid thats the tallest man made thing on earth. make something that will last for THOUSANDS of years

are you being subtle or did you miss bezos being most of the money behind the 10,000 year clock, a clock designed and built to keep time for 10,000 years without being affected by what happens to humanity around it (notably meaning that it can't be deep technology or very valuable materials). http://longnow.org/clock/

i also am a bit persuaded that the pyramids were a good thing, the egyptian civilisation likely would not have made it through 6000 years, including the kingdom falling into anarchy twice, and reforming anyway, if it wasn't for some very tangible demonstrations what organization into a true nation could achieve.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

the egyptians used a sundial

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the pyramids are just where the Egyptians stored rocks, they never actually got to use them

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

the pyramids are just where the Egyptians stored rocks grain

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
pyramids are clams

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Pyramids are a sandwich.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

are you being subtle or did you miss bezos being most of the money behind the 10,000 year clock, a clock designed and built to keep time for 10,000 years without being affected by what happens to humanity around it (notably meaning that it can't be deep technology or very valuable materials). http://longnow.org/clock/
Those folks own a bar/book club in the SF marina district and hooooly cow is that place up its own rear end. Good drinks tho

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Gazpacho posted:

Those folks own a bar/book club in the marina district and hooooly cow is that place up its own rear end. Good drinks tho

there’s a lot of crossover between the long now folks and singularity/life extension/transhumanist people and it’s all varying levels of rich nerds who think they’re going to be immortal

they all go to burning man too

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

qirex posted:

there’s a lot of crossover between the long now folks and singularity/life extension/transhumanist people and it’s all varying levels of rich nerds who think they’re going to be immortal

I just threw up in my mouth a little

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Blue Train posted:

I just threw up in my mouth a little
It's really a trip, I had been reading a book on the origins of California techno-Utopianism and went to the place without knowing much about it and there were pictures on the wall of all the key people in the book I had been reading.

They want to recreate extinct species by cut-pasting other species like in Jurassic park. Their literal motto is "we are gods so we had better be good at it"

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 11, 2018

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

qirex posted:

never a more prescriptive name for a festival of rich nerds

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Gazpacho posted:

It's really a trip, I had been reading a book on the origins of California techno-Utopianism

Wait what book is this? I love California computer hippies and how SV nerds adore them without realizing that most of them are just like all the other wacky hippies only they just happened to like electronics

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
some whole earth catalog readers joined the weather underground and blew up women's bathrooms

others touched computers and made money sometimes but also others made things like project xanadu

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

lancemantis posted:

Wait what book is this? I love California computer hippies and how SV nerds adore them without realizing that most of them are just like all the other wacky hippies only they just happened to like electronics
from counterculture to cyberculture by fred turner

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

akadajet posted:

jeff benzodiazepine is the least bad tech ceo though.

lol he'd feed workers with ground meat of other workers if he could

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
amazon canada is an absolute wasteland.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
too easy

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i also am a bit persuaded that the pyramids were a good thing, the egyptian civilisation likely would not have made it through 6000 years, including the kingdom falling into anarchy twice, and reforming anyway, if it wasn't for some very tangible demonstrations what organization into a true nation could achieve.

the pyramids are a monument to the things that can be accomplished with human productivity when one man's grandeur becomes more valuable than an army of workers' health, wellbeing or future

of course jeffyb's doing something similar

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Double Bill posted:

lol he'd feed workers with ground meat of other workers if he could

i don't think he feeds workers though

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
All you can eat Amazon Wafers in the kitchen is just one benefit of working at Amazon.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

introducing: Amazon Soylent

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Roosevelt posted:

introducing: Amazon Soylent

sounds more like an amazon basics thing to me, but w/e

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
amazon-laying-off-corporate-employees-in-rare-cutback

that was what I was referring to earlier, btw. also this gem:

quote:

The company has also recently instituted a mandate that managers who oversee other supervisors must have at least four people reporting to them. The aim, the company says, is to reduce layers of redundant management and keep the company flexible and fast-moving.

it's pretty unusual to see directors and vps out of a job...

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Gazpacho posted:

Those folks own a bar/book club in the SF marina district and hooooly cow is that place up its own rear end. Good drinks tho

the cocktails at the interval are some of the best in the city imo

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

an actual warranted layoff, strange

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i didn’t know about that clock but that’s not the pyramids is it. you can’t see it from space can ya?

basically if he isn’t building the pyramids II i am not interested and as far as i am concerned he can suck my cock lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

echinopsis posted:

i didn’t know about that clock but that’s not the pyramids is it. you can’t see it from space can ya?

basically if he isn’t building the pyramids II i am not interested and as far as i am concerned he can suck my cock lol

you stick to your guns, kid. you got moxie.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

President Beep posted:

you stick to your guns, kid. you got moxie.

He's full of spunk.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

"headcount adjustments" lmao

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

He's full of spunk.

:mrgw:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:smugmrgw:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Actually, from what I can figure out, the "Pyramids were used to store grain" thing goes something like this:

In Genesis, Joseph becomes important in the Pharaoh's court and his planning allowed the Egyptians to survive a famine. This melds with the "Jewish slaves built the pyramids" meme (they almost certainly didn't, there is very little evidence for large-scale Hebrew/Jewish settlement in Egypt before late antiquity (like Elephantine papyri-era), and most of the labor used was non-free corvée but that isn't exactly the same as slavery as it's normally used) and you get the pyramids being enormous grain silos.

It's *wrong* but I always feel like it's treated as being more prima facie absurd by critics than I think is strictly fair.

:shrug:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 12, 2018

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It's powerfully retarded because there are dead bodies in them and not grain tho?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Schadenboner posted:

Actually, from what I can figure out, the "Pyramids were used to store grain" thing goes something like this:

In Genesis, Joseph becomes important in the Pharaoh's court and his planning allowed the Egyptians to survive a famine. This melds with the "Jewish slaves built the pyramids" thing (they almost certainly didn't, there is very little evidence for large-scale Hebrew settlement in Egypt before late antiquity and most of the labor used was non-free corvée but that isn't exactly the same as slavery as it's normally used) and you get the pyramids being enormous grain silos.

It's *wrong* but I always feel like it's treated as being more prima facie absurd by critics than I think is strictly fair.

:shrug:

That's extremely absurd because we have been inside them and we know they're tombs and also the Egyptians could write and the directly told us they were tombs.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Blue Train posted:

It's powerfully retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Salt Fish posted:

That's extremely absurd because we have been inside them and we know they're tombs and also the Egyptians could write and the directly told us they were tombs.

If people take Genesis as the most reliable big-h Historical text that has ever/can ever exist how conversant with modern scholarship on Egyptology do you think they're going to be?

• Locked thread