Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

im the space phallus on his jacket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
thanks, now i can't unsee it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

President Beep posted:

im the space phallus on his jacket

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
ok hes def trolling

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Gazpacho posted:

ok hes def projecting

notice the bald head as well.
:thunk:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

where did you get this picture of me as i read a text from your mom

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Gazpacho posted:

:agreed: during my first year and a half i would have killed to work on a Mason site rather than the CGI.pm shitheap i was stuck with
You would be amazed how much poo poo is still running on mod_perl 1.

Salt Fish posted:

PHP is great, especially newer versions of it, but it's always been pretty good for when you need to output some HTML based on some POST data and MySQL stuff.
Have you always been wrong or did you take classes?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
how do you spot a terrible coder to get rid of immediately?

the answer: provide tech that automates a tremendous amount grunt work, and examples of how to use it, then watch to see whether he does the grunt work himself anyway

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

that's a penis

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

im the natural born killers aesthetic

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Rex-Goliath posted:

that's a penis

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

We're here to announce an exciting breakthrough in the miniaturization of rocket technology

We call it the Pocket Rocket

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Rex-Goliath posted:

that's a penis
Well yeah but why does it need sunglasses?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

nice choad

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Gazpacho posted:

how do you spot a terrible coder to get rid of immediately?

the answer: provide tech that automates a tremendous amount grunt work, and examples of how to use it, then watch to see whether he does the grunt work himself anyway
basically the chimp/banana test but with computer

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

future tech booble hubris is gonna be entombed for millions of years inside the dead crew capsules orbiting earth, carrying failed rocket adventures of modern stock market snake oil salesmen

pram
Jun 10, 2001
sounds cool

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

There Will Be Penalty posted:

perl and mason are what php should have been. I WILL DIE ON THIS HILL. perl is poo poo but php is even more poo poo and has a history of godawful baggage. the only good things about php over perl are that it has a grammar and a better object system (though moose is cool).

html::mason was way the heck ahead of it stime

i wouldn't start a new mason project in tyool 2018 though

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
perl mason will serve no page before its age

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Gazpacho posted:

:discourse:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Has anyone ever used mason besides amazon 10 years ago?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

hehe

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

echinopsis posted:

that fact he has so much money is evidence he's bad

good people don't get that rich

smart people don't get that rich

lucky people don't get that rich

only deeply evil people get that rich

wisdom

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

Gazpacho posted:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

NEED MORE MILK posted:

I’d happily opt out of their carrier if they would allow it

a guy without time to take a poo poo in the bathroom probably doesn't feel too bad about throwing the wrong box at my house, signing some other guy's name and then photographing it from a moving car on his way out of the neighbourhood

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

hah did you guys like the alexa commercial? its great that bezos starred in his own commercial, just like a suburban a mattress dealer (and with all of the acting talent)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

buying fuel to go to the store and delivering your own purchases

that's wakkie nu nu

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

yard salad posted:

hah did you guys like the alexa commercial? its great that bezos starred in his own commercial, just like a suburban a mattress dealer (and with all of the acting talent)

you do NOT speak down to jake jabs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34bVPx2_Vj4

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
working in the warehouse software group taught me that pager duty is the best way to teach someone to build software that can work without them around

it also taught me that many devs won't learn even then

and that when those devs end up managing you and dictating your priorities you best move on

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Jeff Bozo more like

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Rude!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

spb posted:

Jeff Bozo more like

:drat:

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Gazpacho posted:

working in the warehouse software group taught me that pager duty is the best way to teach someone to build software that can work without them around

it also taught me that many devs won't learn even then

are we talking about some batch process that occasionally hangs and has to be manually restarted

and a dev is totally ok with being paged at rear end o’ clock just to bounce the process because team spirit or whatever it is that makes an 80 hour week acceptable

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 7, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

spb posted:

Jeff Bozo more like

i was enjoying this thread, but as usual some goon has to take things too far by saying something totally over the line.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Coffee Jones posted:

are we talking about some batch process that occasionally hangs and has to be manually restarted
yes, that would be a typical example

Coffee Jones posted:

and a dev is totally ok with being paged at rear end o’ clock just to bounce the process because team spirit or whatever it is that makes an 80 hour week acceptable
but i'm not sure what you're asking here. devs should be made to feel the quality of the software they're responsible for, it shouldn't be abstracted from them. but the management shouldn't have them in constant emergency response to the point that they can't develop any long-term improvements. in the warehouse group all devs were on pager rotation for their teams' code but the business had grown to the point that several teams didn't have room to breathe

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
wonder how long until everyone works for amazon

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

just wanted to point out amazon is literally a pos now that they run a grocer and convenience stores

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Agile Vector posted:

just wanted to point out amazon is literally a pos now that they run a grocer and convenience stores

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Sniep posted:

wonder how long until everyone works for amazon

Immigration debates are finally settled once all americans are required to swipe their badge at the border.

• Locked thread