Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Agile Vector posted:

just wanted to point out amazon is literally a pos now that they run a grocer and convenience stores

not until they accept food stamps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Salt Fish posted:

Immigration debates are finally settled once all americans are required to swipe their badge at the border.

and thus non-white skin color racism was eliminated

long live the new racism against non-blue badge color

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Agile Vector posted:

just wanted to point out amazon is literally a pos now that they run a grocer and convenience stores

NICE!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i would like a taste of jeff bezos’ś meat

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

death to america

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

wait do they have to put "+ amazon" on all their branding now?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

lancemantis posted:

As long as it's written in gore it's fine.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

lancemantis posted:

Whole Foods will be assimilated. There is only Amazon.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
amazon sure knows how to run a high end brand huh

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

all that effort and they didnt even mark it USDA Amazon Prime

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Amazon is going to run Whole Foods into the ground, but to be honest it sounds like they were already well on their way on their own.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

tk posted:

Amazon is going to run Whole Foods into the ground, but to be honest it sounds like they were already well on their way on their own.

I think they'd maxed out on the bougie indigo shopper pool and needed to go downmarket to fuel expansion since a lot of their revenue growth was around opening new stores

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

:five:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jonny 290 posted:

:ck5:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Jonny 290 posted:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

NEED MORE MILK posted:

I live in a house and don’t have a mail room

guess the carrier

amazon logistics aka random gig deliver guy yeah

looks like he arrived after the office closed and so just signed for it himself to deliver today i guess

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Blue Train posted:

death to america

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

amazon logistics aka random gig deliver guy yeah

looks like he arrived after the office closed and so just signed for it himself to deliver today i guess

i just ordered another item and it shipped amzl so im excited to see if they screw up for the third time in a week and i get another free month of prime

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
my stuff always comes via either ups or usps.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

yeah im pretty sure they only do their own delivery service in cities where they have a warehouse/distribution center

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i get a lot of OnTrac

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

NEED MORE MILK posted:

yeah im pretty sure they only do their own delivery service in cities where they have a warehouse/distribution center

it seems random who delivers my amazon packages

i have gotten same-day shipments from bicycle couriers, from lasership, and from randos driving a car around. no idea what determines who gets what

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It is either ups usps or fedex here but for some reason the fedex guys just drive around in either an unmarked van or budget rental truck a lot of the time :shrug:

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

amazon just sent me 2 microfibre cloths (declared value: $2.98) via dhl priority signature required

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just buy stuff in a store, if you guys haven't tried this it's way more immediate and satisfying than amazon

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

qirex posted:

I just buy stuff in a store, if you guys haven't tried this it's way more immediate and satisfying than amazon

What's the website?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

What's the website?

it's loving weird, some of these don't even have a website

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If I didn't walk to the store like 5 times a week to buy $6 bottles of german mineral water I'd probably be even fatter than I am already.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

More and more my packages are being delivered by AMZL. The delivery guys without fail ring my doorbell, drop the package and run like hell. Package theft is a giant thing around here so I've been ordering amazon less and less unless I know I'll be home.

The delivery guys are probably fired from what I assume is a sub minimum wage 1099 gig if they spend more than 45 seconds delivering a package on average before moving again so I don't blame them but ugh. Buying less and less from amazon.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

power botton posted:

More and more my packages are being delivered by AMZL. The delivery guys without fail ring my doorbell, drop the package and run like hell. Package theft is a giant thing around here so I've been ordering amazon less and less unless I know I'll be home.

The delivery guys are probably fired from what I assume is a sub minimum wage 1099 gig if they spend more than 45 seconds delivering a package on average before moving again so I don't blame them but ugh. Buying less and less from amazon.
get a po box op

or use the amazon lockers at your nearest whole foods or 7-11

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
or just go to a store and buy the thing since that's what you're doing already at that point

i have used amazon locker before but that was when I lived in an apartment on ground floor with like zero security

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

qirex posted:

some of these don't even have a website

had this post been longer, I would’ve stopped reading there.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
AWS: It may be slow and ridiculously unreliable, but at least it's expensive.

I swear to god at my job we lose a server every week. One time they simply ran out of the type of server we were trying to get in an availability zone. Just ran out. No error message to explain this; the calls to the api to spin up the servers just silently failed. It took a day and a bunch of support tickets for them to admit that they flat out ran out of boxes.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Hauldren Collider posted:

AWS: It may be slow and ridiculously unreliable, but at least it's expensive.

I swear to god at my job we lose a server every week. One time they simply ran out of the type of server we were trying to get in an availability zone. Just ran out. No error message to explain this; the calls to the api to spin up the servers just silently failed. It took a day and a bunch of support tickets for them to admit that they flat out ran out of boxes.

lol

glad it’s no better for external customers vs us being owned by them

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

from a layperson’s pov (ie, mine), aws seems to make a strange bedfellow with amazon’s more visible role as a retail outlet for physical products and digital content. does this seem kind of odd to anyone else?

did they already have the infrastructure and then think “gently caress it, let’s let folks rent these assets” or is there more intent behind this diversification?

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Sniep posted:

lol

glad it’s no better for external customers vs us being owned by them

And I guess it's a little comforting knowing it's just as bad inside amazon ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think my favorite thing is that Amazon promises 10gb/s network with the instances we're getting, but in order to actually achieve 10gb/s (actually a bit less than that sustained) you have to put all your servers in the same placement group, be running amazon linux (which afaict is just centos with some crap added), have some special network drivers specially installed, and sacrifice some farm animals on an altar shaped like the amazon logo. Without all these steps you get less than half of that.

We upgraded some of our instances to c5's recently and started intermittently getting multiple-second latencies on the EBS drives. dmesg showed some pretty interesting stuff happening with the ext4 journal.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

President Beep posted:

from a layperson’s pov (ie, mine), aws seems to make a strange bedfellow with amazon’s more visible role as a retail outlet for physical products and digital content. does this seem kind of odd to anyone else?

did they already have the infrastructure and then think “gently caress it, let’s let folks rent these assets” or is there more intent behind this diversification?

yeah aws was a way to recoup the cost of the infrastructure needed to handle the Christmas rush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

President Beep posted:

it was more like "this is a thing that our internal teams benefit from, lets rebuild this in a way that can support external customers".

the first ec2 was a dozen or so laptops bought from a pc store in cape town.

• Locked thread