Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
spoke like someone who doesn't own stock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
ordering everything prime delivery is dumb, learn to wait a week bitch

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
everyone who places 20 prime orders should get a "present" on their driveway

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
more likely some hastily developed software tool got stuck on the shipment and the books sat in a tray for several days until a tech manually tweaked the database

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i've told this story before but amazon has or had a returns warehouse near lexington kentucky and one day a ticket came in that there were thirty pallets of stuff tracked in the database as sitting in the warehouse for several months, and they didn't exist anywhere. no one knew what had happened, probably the order got stuck and the truck was waiting and an employee just loaded them and forgot about it. since there was no documentation of anything in fulfillment software I didn't know how to make them go away either, eventually an old systems hand (of whom there were very few) had to explain how to make them go away: pretend to move the pallets into an empty shelf, then count the items in the shelf which automatically deletes the phantom items

some time after that i heard a rumor that a significant percentage of what was tracked in the warehouse turned out not to exist.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it's really hard to believe thinking back on it but at the time i was there, there was no attempt to systematically explain to new employes even the most basic things like "how items are tracked in containers", even though the company had the resources and reasons to do so. I was thrown into meetings where everyone used TLAs (including confusing ones like "IPC" that don't mean what you assume) with complete indifference to whether the new guy understood, and when the next guy came into the team, I watched them do the same thing to him

on one occasion I sat in a whole session on this robotic thing in a Japan warehouse. after most of the session had gone by with the presenter referring to the thing by its code name and never actually defining it I said, "you've told us a lot about this system's control interface but uh, what is it?" and even then she couldn't pull together the words "IT'S A SORTING SYSTEM." also she kept saying "send commands to the vendor" to mean "send commands to a machine made by some vendor" as if "vendor" didn't have any other possible meaning in a friggin retail company

after a couple years of this i still felt like a poo poo idiot but at least I'd picked up a few bits of information that allowed me to be somewhat helpful. then one day a ticket comes in talking about this "bundle" tool thats part of a process i've never heard of that apparently exists in only a few warehouses and its broken and omg fix it right now! when I resigned I brought that up as one of the reasons I was convinced that I would never "adjust"

terribly, pervasively pathological organization that no one should ever work in

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 27, 2018

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

akadajet posted:

jeff benzodiazepine is the least bad tech ceo though.
:wrong:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

pram posted:

yeah they also give out really lovely laptops at amazon, another reason not to work there
confirmed

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

pram posted:

vga port lovely
with (in my case) a nipple stick and a mouse driver that randomly pauses while you are in the middle of something important

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the packing desks that amazon gives to corporate employees to do their work on are supposed to symbolize frugality and the spirit of construction, like marine recruits assembling their own bunks to sleep on, but really they're an example of the company's indifference to the question of how to make a work environment productive

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Fiedler posted:

This is SOP for big tech companies.
WADR Amazon was not the first big tech company I had worked for nor the biggest. its pathology with regard to onboarding people was on a special level that, with few exceptions, produced a constant atmosphere of mutual hostility

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 28, 2018

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

qhat posted:

is it worth dealing with bullshit at amazon for a couple of years to get that big name on the resume?
If you work in a newer part of the company, maybe? Like don't work on the 90s legacy shitstack and don't work in a group that produces no direct revenue and therefore is managed exclusvely for cost. Ask what service framework the group uses and if they say "our own" stay away

And (good general advice) if anything is important to you to ask about in the interview, do not leave it at a yes or no answere

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 29, 2018

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
hey jeff...

youre online store is a piece of poo poo!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

dividertabs posted:

Are you saying to reject teams using Coral or to reject teams using a team-specific framework?
the question was about Amazon as a short-term career move, and imo recognized skills are more valuable on a resume than a big company's name. like, I did rack up some service development experience there, but it means very little for finding a job elsewhere because nobody does a keyword search for codigo or apollo and a lot of that experience was about sustaining antipatterns

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

There Will Be Penalty posted:

perl and mason are what php should have been. I WILL DIE ON THIS HILL. perl is poo poo but php is even more poo poo and has a history of godawful baggage. the only good things about php over perl are that it has a grammar and a better object system (though moose is cool).
:agreed: during my first year and a half i would have killed to work on a Mason site rather than the CGI.pm shitheap i was stuck with

otoh it's not a marketable skill anywhere except amazon

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 3, 2018

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
thanks, now i can't unsee it

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
ok hes def trolling

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
how do you spot a terrible coder to get rid of immediately?

the answer: provide tech that automates a tremendous amount grunt work, and examples of how to use it, then watch to see whether he does the grunt work himself anyway

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Gazpacho posted:

how do you spot a terrible coder to get rid of immediately?

the answer: provide tech that automates a tremendous amount grunt work, and examples of how to use it, then watch to see whether he does the grunt work himself anyway
basically the chimp/banana test but with computer

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
perl mason will serve no page before its age

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
working in the warehouse software group taught me that pager duty is the best way to teach someone to build software that can work without them around

it also taught me that many devs won't learn even then

and that when those devs end up managing you and dictating your priorities you best move on

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Coffee Jones posted:

are we talking about some batch process that occasionally hangs and has to be manually restarted
yes, that would be a typical example

Coffee Jones posted:

and a dev is totally ok with being paged at rear end o’ clock just to bounce the process because team spirit or whatever it is that makes an 80 hour week acceptable
but i'm not sure what you're asking here. devs should be made to feel the quality of the software they're responsible for, it shouldn't be abstracted from them. but the management shouldn't have them in constant emergency response to the point that they can't develop any long-term improvements. in the warehouse group all devs were on pager rotation for their teams' code but the business had grown to the point that several teams didn't have room to breathe

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
If amazon Linux tracked centos in the past it certainly doesn't now, the update policies are completely different in that amazon Linux regularly pulls new upstream versions

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

are you being subtle or did you miss bezos being most of the money behind the 10,000 year clock, a clock designed and built to keep time for 10,000 years without being affected by what happens to humanity around it (notably meaning that it can't be deep technology or very valuable materials). http://longnow.org/clock/
Those folks own a bar/book club in the SF marina district and hooooly cow is that place up its own rear end. Good drinks tho

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Blue Train posted:

I just threw up in my mouth a little
It's really a trip, I had been reading a book on the origins of California techno-Utopianism and went to the place without knowing much about it and there were pictures on the wall of all the key people in the book I had been reading.

They want to recreate extinct species by cut-pasting other species like in Jurassic park. Their literal motto is "we are gods so we had better be good at it"

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 11, 2018

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

lancemantis posted:

Wait what book is this? I love California computer hippies and how SV nerds adore them without realizing that most of them are just like all the other wacky hippies only they just happened to like electronics
from counterculture to cyberculture by fred turner

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
too easy

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

FamDav posted:

why is this the Illuminati thread