Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Virtue posted:

How does the white color hold up to grime?

Would like to know this as well. I'm debating getting a couple for kid rooms and white is the only one available in store. I'd prefer the space grey due to gross kids, but eh.

e: Oh hey, grey just came back into stock like an hour after typing this post. Picking them up tomorrow.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Got a pair of minis. These things are pretty cool!

The only thing that’s absolutely infuriating is that Siri thinks I’m saying “entercom” instead of intercom and won’t send messages 75% of the time. It’s pissing me off so much that I can’t tell my kids they eat farts from downstairs consistently.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

How does the intercom work? Can I send a message from my iPhone (or Mac) but it only outputs to the HomePod?

Yeah you can send messages to everyone and their devices (the message can play on your phone and even watch!), or to specific rooms. You can send messages from anywhere too, so you don’t just have to be in your house. It’s pretty slick, and honestly shocking after seeing what a disaster walkie talkie was on the watch.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, there's permissions. I had to add my kids apple IDs to my "home," then specifically give them Intercom access. I set all the HomePods up under my apple ID during the setup process though.

Just wish Siri would stop thinking I'm saying "entercom" and failing. So loving annoying.

My daughter asked to play some music and it called her by my wife's name, haha. I'm not exactly sure how it "knows" which voice is which.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Kids apple IDs?
Tell me more. Right now the kids just have my profile on their devices, but things like calendar and email and messages are all turned off.

Each kid is getting a mini for their rooms for the holidays. So if they need IDs, I should probably know how that works....

Just create Apple IDs and set their birthday correctly (I sometimes make them 18 for certain apps to get around annoying limitations). Under iCloud settings you can invite family members and set limitations and stuff.

You’ll need IDs for your kids if you want it to recognize their voices. Not sure if they will need their own phone to make it work though (don’t know your age range, mine are all rear end in a top hat teenagers). Seems I had to put the Home app on all my kids’ phones.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

japtor posted:

Ok I get that part, but do they physically have to be home/connected to the home network, or will it intercom them anywhere?

That’s an option

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Seems my store has tons of minis for pickup. I ordered another pair last night and they’re still available for pickup today this morning.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Speaking of Sonos, I have a One SL in my toddlers' bedroom that I use to play white noise at night. After I got some minis, I set up an automation to start it at 8:15pm every night. Looks like it just Airplays the playlist I have from one of the Minis in the house, rather than just natively playing it on the Sonos, like you would in the Sonos app. Not super annoying, but that means that whatever Mini it Airplays from, you can't use or else it shuts the playlist to the Sonos One off.

I just went back to manually starting it via the Sonos app every night, which sucks, but whatever.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I don’t think so. It’s device-specific I believe.

Even the watch and phone don’t share timers.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

beefnoodle posted:

They do. I use them for cooking all the time.

Ok I’m going to have to revise that after using it for..... cooking today.

If you start it on your phone, the phone and watch both buzz.
If you start it on your watch, I think only the watch buzzes.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Will a 5W block work?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The new haptic feedback on the 12 is great. And the mini LEDs get brighter the closer you get too.

And also kinda funny. I’ll be walking by our kitchen mini and my phone will start vibrating.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

After working at my desk a couple days, the vibrating thing can get a bit annoying when it tries to grab the audio when you don't want it to, especially since it also blurs the phone screen as well.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Don’t worry, a cord replacement is probably only $79.99!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I don't know if there's a way beyond rebooting it, but yeah, my toddlers like to play with ours as well and constantly un"pause" stuff.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is there anyway to turn off the doorbell notification sound on a specific Mini? I have a Mini in my toddlers' room for white noise while they sleep, and I'd rather not get the overly-loud SOMEONE IS AT THE DOOR when someone rings my doorbell while they're napping or sleeping.

e: Oh hey, there's a "Chime on HomePod" option :v:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 15, 2021

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm sure that sounds great but man, that looks loving ugly.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

IUG posted:

How do these update? I see my minis at 14.6, and don't want them restarting or making noise at midnight or something.

Home app. It should check when you open it, or maybe hold to open a homepod in there. Sometimes it’ll automatically say it at the top of your house page and you hit the update button.

I assume it’ll do it automatically at some point in the next 6 months if you don’t manually trigger it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I turned on iCloud Private Relay on on my home wifi to see what it was about then forgot to turn it off, and my Homepod couldn't fine my phone. Which makes sense. So don't do that.

My phone hands off audio just fine if I have private relay on.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I wouldn’t agree with them sounding like a laptop speaker at all. They aren’t going to sound like a Sonos speaker, but they are significantly better than a laptop. My kids all have one for music and they like it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, anyone can control your lights and stuff.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

wooger posted:

I’ll be happy if I can get Siri to stop shouting at me when I set lighting scenes.

One HomePod in the bedroom: THE SCENE IS SET when I turn off all the lights to go to sleep.

One HomePod mini in the kitchen I can set any scenes I want and it never speaks back to me. Where the gently caress is this setting?

Is it related to the scene name or the fact that it turns out all the lights?

“Hey Siri you’re too loud” seems to drop the speaking volume, but I noticed it was loud again the next day.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Holy poo poo, changing your apple ID password is SUCH a loving pain in the rear end when it comes to HomePods. Every loving time I try to set a HomeKit scene, it says I have account issues and to open the Home app for further details. I open Home, and sometimes an account thing appears, asking me to put my password in. Even when I do, I still can't set any scenes and gives me the same account error over and over again.

gently caress.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I’ve tried rebooting and all that. Half the time the account ! doesn’t even show up even though it’s saying there’s an account issue on the speaker itself. Dumb.

I have to activate scenes with my phone like some caveman now.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Minis are $80 at costco:

https://www.costco.com/homepod-mini.product.100696292.html

When using a pair with an ATV, is there any audio lag? I’ve got a pair of Sonos Ones that I AirPlay to, and the lag is horrendous, like to the point where I just use the TV speaker instead.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I changed my apple password like a month ago and my minis are still randomly asking me for the loving password.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Timers don't sync between your phone and watch. How dare you think that it is possible to sync between Homepods!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

“Some”

Lol when I asked it to turn OFF the kitchen lights, it would turn my hallway lights ON. They’re in separate HomeKit rooms.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

My 2022 recap was literally only lullaby music for babies because the setting to not update my listening history and library did not work, and I did not notice. Was a christmas gift for christmas 2021, and I finally fixed the problem a few weeks after the recaps came out.

And yes, the routine and HomePod was configured to use the kid’s account and subscription as a part of a family. I finally figured out that even though the routine was explicitly configured to use the kid’s account, it recognized my voice and overwrote the routines user. Every night. For over a year.

Haha my top tracks were ocean waves. We use an ocean wave album as white noise for our toddlers at night. After that I have baby shark and this is Halloween from nightmare before Christmas.

Then like 100 tracks of Dio, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Metallica, and Pantera.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Don’t the Apple Watch S6/7/8/Ultra/OG HomePod/HomePod mini all have pretty much the same CPU? And this one has the same one?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The least believable part of that youtube video is Siri responding instantly with out any "on it"s or "just a sec"s and eventually timing out and saying to ask later.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Every review I've watched of a homepod mini, the fucker takes a good 2-5 seconds to answer anything.

I've got 6 minis in my house and a few seconds is pretty standard and acceptable, but every once in a while it goes full moron and will say "on it" 20 times in a row. I don't have any OG HomePods though, so I can't compare the processing times.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Nice. After I just got done putting Aqara temp/humidity sensors in most of my rooms, and even in the ones with Minis.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

priznat posted:

What ones did you get? Eve?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D37FKGY

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I've got Aqara temp sensors in a lot of my rooms, and I noticed that Home reports the temperature from them instead of the Minis in the same room. Which I probably prefer, but interesting, nonetheless.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bleh, the updating to 16.3.1 in the Home app has been spinning for almost 24 hours now for my 6 Minis. I’ve never seen an update get stuck.

e: weird, I unplugged one of them, checked them an hour later and the update installed

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 7, 2023

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

HomePod software got an update, it's at 16.4.

Stability and software improvements according to Apple.

On it....

Just a sec....

Still trying....

I cannot compete the request right now. Please try again later.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

New HomePod software is out, but there's an issue where it doesn't show up in the Home app unless you reboot your phone.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

priznat posted:

Annoyingly it still doesn't seem to have the update popping up for me, despite the phone being iOS 17 now..

Reboot your phone and check in Home Settings again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

priznat posted:

I have, several times, unless it's not the swipe to power down and then press side button to restart or some other thing?

Volume up + sleep button, slide to turn off? That's what worked for me.