Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Flesh Forge posted:

I also really like FO4, it's just a great Running Around Doin Thangz simulator. Like most Bethesda games the main plot is something you can (should) just completely ignore and just run around picking flowers and jumping off of high places and punching freaks and stuff

Fo4 is the best "jump back in and smash some poo poo up" game of the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

SplitSoul posted:

Why would you believe Pagliarulo was joking? You don't really need to do puppetmaster defense by proxy for a man whose magnum opus was Fallout 3. :lol:

because I can pick up context?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
He was clearly joking, that's why he spent 3+ tweets doing a dril Sorry I'm Sorry I'm Trying to Remove It bit. All part of the clever schemes and stratagems of the "it is your destiny to die in the purifier sorry lmao" writer

Perfect Potato fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 14, 2024

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Tankbuster posted:

I think the context was already posted on the previous page, but I'll concede the point if familiarity with "meme circle" and "arrows" requires a Twitter account. FWIW I think the NMA nerds are annoying, too.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Fallout: New Vegas - Ultimate Edition is discounted on Steam. Go and play it. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor… I am Pagliarulo."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if he was just kidding about it he would have just disavowed the whole post rather than trying to find a way to let it stay true while walking-back the specific "war criminal" allegation

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
given that my nate took idiot savant he clearly can't be trusted to drive mechanized equipment.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Otacon posted:

There's a huge learning curve to new players figuring out what to do, because there's absolutely so much being thrown at you so quickly: Story quests, item/ally unlock quests, faction quests, daily quests, events every 20 minutes, all while trying to figure out which weapons are good and learning the unique level-up / perk card system as you're exploring a completely new map four times larger than FO4s. It's a lot to take in, and 100% overwhelming.

But, once you figure out a weapon build, and learn the game loops and what repeatable events give beneficial rewards, you start to figure out what you want to do with your limited gaming time every day.

Do you have any advice for tackling this learning curve? I think I could really get into 76 but I never quite manage to click with it and get a good thing going. Should I rush the story and then see what’s what or just pootle about or?

I have actually put a bit of time into it in the past but it still never quite grabbed me because I was never entirely sure what I was meant to be doing.

Now I have a steam deck and it seems to fit that platform quite well so I’m giving it another shot. I should check out the series while I’m at it!

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

LeFishy posted:

Do you have any advice for tackling this learning curve? I think I could really get into 76 but I never quite manage to click with it and get a good thing going. Should I rush the story and then see what’s what or just pootle about or?

I have actually put a bit of time into it in the past but it still never quite grabbed me because I was never entirely sure what I was meant to be doing.

Now I have a steam deck and it seems to fit that platform quite well so I’m giving it another shot. I should check out the series while I’m at it!

1) Join groups and do events. Literally as soon as you leave the vault. Casual Groups make you level up quicker, and joining events opens up fast travel locations across the map, all enemies will be scaled to your level, and you can get carried through all of them for amazingly fast XP. If a few minutes go by and you're the only person there, bail and go back to what you were doing or explore around your new location. Nobody expects you to pal around with them in a casual group, or even do the same stuff -- it's completely casual. Quest by yourself, just always be in a casual group.

2) Main Quests should be your go-to early on - find your Overseer and listen to what she tells you to do. Get to meet the Raiders and Settlers at their home bases. Do the Faction vault raid quest.

3) Become comfortable with swapping perks on the fly. Your perk loadout should be fluid and update your cards to what you're using. You don't need all 3 lockpick cards 24/7 - just when you get to a lock. Prioritize weapon damage cards. Get a new weapon drop? Use it to see if it's fun! Pick perk cards to improve your damage with that weapon. Every single weapon can be viable if you pick your perks properly.

4) Need caps? Build tons of water purifiers around your camp and sell the water for 1400 caps every day. Run the event "Moonshine Jamboree" and cook & sell the meat that drops. You'll quickly reach the opposite end of this spectrum - having too many caps!

5) Make sure you're completing both Daily and Weekly Challenges to unlock season rewards. I missed these for the first few weeks and as a result, ended up not being able to complete the very first Scoreboard I had access to. Some of the challenges are dead easy (Kill 5 Supermutants) but some can be quite challenging, which leads me to my last point.

Lastly, Google is your friend with all your FO76 questions, but it can be tricky finding accurate info. There's been SO MANY GAME-BREAKING CHANGES over the past 5 years that info found online can become quickly outdated. I find adding "fo76 reddit" to the end of my searches very helpful to pull up posts about where some enemies are located, or where some map places are, or whatever.

At the end it all comes down to what gameplay loop you find most rewarding - getting end-game weapons and armors, acquiring super rare apparel and outfits, improving your build so you can solo tough events or bosses, farming mats for recipes, or simply making the coolest swankiest CAMP home you can make, and have people actually visit and explore. It's a very cool game. And come join the Discord if you want!

Otacon fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 14, 2024

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Otacon posted:

I started playing 76 for the first time about 12 months ago and subscribed for a year up front pretty quickly. Once I acclimatized to 76's steep learning curve, I think it's absolutely a better game than Fallout 4 in almost every possible way*.

There's a huge learning curve to new players figuring out what to do, because there's absolutely so much being thrown at you so quickly: Story quests, item/ally unlock quests, faction quests, daily quests, events every 20 minutes, all while trying to figure out which weapons are good and learning the unique level-up / perk card system as you're exploring a completely new map four times larger than FO4s. It's a lot to take in, and 100% overwhelming.

But, once you figure out a weapon build, and learn the game loops and what repeatable events give beneficial rewards, you start to figure out what you want to do with your limited gaming time every day.

Fallout76 is absolutely my favorite Fallout game now, because there's always something to do.

*Except for the expense of the subscription/store items, and except for modding purposes.

All those events popping up, and then a short while later repeating, make it a fundamentally different game from 4 to me, because it’s hard to get as immersed. It’s why I prefer 4, but it’s an apple to oranges comparison. A single player Fallout with 76’s map might be one of my favorite games ever, but for me the MP component mostly detracts from the experience.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tankbuster posted:

given that my nate took idiot savant he clearly can't be trusted to drive mechanized equipment.

So he was a marine

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Aren't those dual prop drop craft in the show basically kinda the same as the things US Marines use?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
well these don't crash at the drop of a hat so - no.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tankbuster posted:

well these don't crash at the drop of a hat so - no.

Excuse me have you played Fallout 4? Vertibirds fall out of the sky on an hourly basis.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I have like a dozen rebalances. I totally forgot that Vertiberds were real fragile in basegame.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 29 days!)

i'm dl'ing fallout 4 and i was hoping to get some mods going for it but

i tried the wabbajack thing, and the files all just failed to download for the 'fusion' modlist, so i looked at the midnight ride modlist, and it's got a multi page setup process, not on wabbajack.

is there any way of just getting some of the most important mods on this without having to go through a 40 step process. all the ones on nexus seem to require some kind of mod manager, but which one? why is this still so complicated?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
those pages are like 5 sentences. It takes 15 minutes to set it up and you are good to go for a vanilla playthrough.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 29 days!)

no there are literally about 60 steps total on the midnight ride setup instructions, involving editing ini files, manually downloading various components, blah blah blah

whatever, i'll just play it without mods

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Have you played before? It's always a good idea to try a Bethesda game as vanilla first so that you can get a sense for what you like and for what you want to change with mods down the line.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Also, Mod Organizer 2, not Vortex.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Arc Hammer posted:

Have you played before? It's always a good idea to try a Bethesda game as vanilla first so that you can get a sense for what you like and for what you want to change with mods down the line.

Hard pass xD

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
just get the unofficial patch at least.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BrotherJayne posted:

Hard pass xD

Nah we need to all start with version 1.0 from 2015

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Vanilla with just the mod that replaces the bad mass effect dialog system with the one from 3/NV is a perfectly fine way to play the game, imo.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

History Comes Inside! posted:

Vanilla with just the mod that replaces the bad mass effect dialog system with the one from 3/NV is a perfectly fine way to play the game, imo.

The only mod I used was Everybody's Best Friend so I could keep Dogmeat with me.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Fallout 4 is mostly fine without mods, since mods won’t fix the poo poo writing. I agree that if you haven’t played before, play vanilla. With all DLC though.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Far Harbor is actually very good content-wise, I liked Nuka World a lot also although the whole "play as a raider" thing really does not work at all in the context of the core game's main quest and the fixed character start - probably the first mod you should consider is one that lets you be a different character than Nate/Nora, like Start Me Up:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/56984

I like Sim Settlements very much but it leans into that fixed character/main quest stuff at times, although you're not forced to engage with it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Flesh Forge posted:

Far Harbor is actually very good content-wise, I liked Nuka World a lot also although the whole "play as a raider" thing really does not work at all in the context of the core game's main quest and the fixed character start - probably the first mod you should consider is one that lets you be a different character than Nate/Nora, like Start Me Up:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/56984

things might have changed in the last few years, but last time i was modding fo4, i saw a lot of warnings against alternate start mods with fo4 specifically because of some scripting issues that were apparently innate to the game.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Playing fallout 4 goty edition on my PC. Sometimes when entering a building (museum of freedom, and also the first radar dish location) it does a soft hang, the music plays and the loading icon carries on moving but the location never loads. I've got no mods. Amy solutions?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I never heard this but I have never spent any time poking around on comment threads/message boards about this either so why would I have :shrug:

the one I linked is a fairly modern one though with some well-defined caveats and is pretty popular
e: in fact the mod author has a new post saying this will probably break when Bethesda releases their big update and a lot of his scripts are going to need to be debugged, so yeah fyi on that
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/56984?tab=posts

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

redreader posted:

Playing fallout 4 goty edition on my PC. Sometimes when entering a building (museum of freedom, and also the first radar dish location) it does a soft hang, the music plays and the loading icon carries on moving but the location never loads. I've got no mods. Amy solutions?

Sounds like the memory issue that Skyrim had. Not sure what you're RAM or graphics hardware is, but try updating your drivers and what not. One way to test this out is to try playing at one graphic level setting lower than what you are playing now (so if you're playing on ultra, go to high. If on high, go medium, etc...) and see if it is stable for longer.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

redreader posted:

It is just taking a really long time to load, the HD texture pack does that. There's a mod to make it load faster. It uncaps FPS on loading screens, because load time is tied to FPS somehow. It's stupid

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bethesda game in “held together by hopes and wishes” shocker

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I replayed FO4 about two years back, on console, and warmed to it - but mainly as a post-apocalyptic theme park. My worst experiences with it were when trying to role-play, and it's piss-poor at that. Just picking a direction and checking it out led to a much more satisfying game, although I'd probably hit my permanent fill once I finished NukaWorld.

I've kind of ignored FO76 - but that's because multiplayer experiences only tend to be as good as the biggest dickhead on the server or whatever.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Disco Pope posted:

I've kind of ignored FO76 - but that's because multiplayer experiences only tend to be as good as the biggest dickhead on the server or whatever.

I've dipped in and out of FO76 about 80 hours or so, annoyingly I started on PS5 and have had to switch to PC losing previous progress. I've played very much solo, other than the obligatory join a team (that isn't really a team) for free bonuses and I've had a great time.
I realise that maybe I'm just the biggest dickhead on the server though, welp.
I think the only time I had any actual interaction was with some high level people asking if I wanted to do a world event or something, which seemed cool of them. (I just continued looting crap from old fridges iirc)

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Rinkles posted:

things might have changed in the last few years, but last time i was modding fo4, i saw a lot of warnings against alternate start mods with fo4 specifically because of some scripting issues that were apparently innate to the game.

start me up redux fixes most of them.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Disco Pope posted:

Over 2,000 hours on FO76 and I've encountered 2 assholes. To be honest, barely anyone on PC uses voice and mostly settles with using emotes to communicate. There's pretty decent controls over griefing (you must turn off pacifist mode to be engaged, or you must be present in a PVP workshop) and you're always free to disengage/hop servers if you find yourself in a bad place.

(Now, trap camps, that's another story altogether...)

With all the new players coming out of the woodwork (All Time Highs!) not knowing wtf is going on, it's gonna be pretty interesting to see who sticks around over the next few weeks.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 15, 2024

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Tankbuster posted:

You do realise what he posted was a joke right? "Hey our most popular protag? He was doing my lai to Frosted Flakes 2." Given that the intellectual powerhouse of the fanbase got fumbled by god drat arrows over the last couple of days, writing at a 4th grade level seems to be appropriate for them to understand whats happening.

Tankbuster posted:

you are extremely charitable to a very dumb man

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

It is just taking a really long time to load, the HD texture pack does that. There's a mod to make it load faster. It uncaps FPS on loading screens, because load time is tied to FPS somehow. It's stupid

even without the texture pack fo4 PC has such excessively long loading screens I need that mod every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wouldn't it be better to just use the regular texture pack and then replace with modded textures if you wanted to?