Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Bases are fine.

Twenty-something bases is a bit over.

Still got a soft spot for Oberland Station, though, and I honestly have no idea why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Arcsquad12 posted:

Certain versions of Windows 8 and 10 simply will not play new Vegas without the anti-crash mod installed. After that you'd want the 4gb patcher and ENBoost to counteract the memory leak bug. Beyond that you can sidestep the auto save bug using CASM and punch down microstutter with the stutter remover mod.

Does ENBoost actually, demonstrably help with anything, let alone help enough to justify plugging the work of a gay-basher who's still pissed about having to move off of Windows XP?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Neurolimal posted:

(Spoilered since some are just trying out FNV for the first time) No matter how you play the Courier, he/she still accepted the job to nuke Hopeville

This is a dramatic mischaracterization bordering on the malicious.

Unless you think the Courier decided that murdering two entire cities with a robot with a city-murdering shell script was cool and good, even though they couldn't have known that it had one.

Unless a cheat character got blown out of their brains in the opening cinematics.

Or you're ODing on whatever Ulysses ODed on.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Samuel Clemens posted:

Genuine question: Has anyone ever hit the time limit in Fallout 1? Unless you're deliberately walking around the desert for weeks on end, I just don't see how it's possible.

150/400/500 are not the only time limits.

Some of the settlements that need to survive for your ending to even pretend to be canon die horribly unless you speedrun and maybe not even then (even if you patch the ending check bugs).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Neurolimal posted:

He doesn't have to have known what was in the package he delivered to still have accepted and been responsible for its delivery. That's an action the player has no control over, because the player character doesn't begin until the courier's past memory dies

Ulysses' point was that ignorance doesn't absolve you of responsibility; the courier blew up a town capable of converting amoral frumentarii, legion, and NCR alike. He teaches the player character that when he leads you to the launch button to blow up Hopeville a second time.

Then let's go make a mod for the Courier to kill themselves. Short playthrough but it's the only ethical option, right?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Neurolimal posted:

Well, now you're just being flippant.

If the point was "kill yourself because that's the only ethical choice" then you wouldn't be able to persuade Ulysses otherwise.

Why would I care what Ulysses thinks?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Neurolimal posted:

Because he's one of the most informed characters in the setting, knows who the courier was before the Player personality manifested, and the proponent of the idea that you should die for what you did. If even he can be convinced that you aren't beyond redemption then there's probably truth there.

He's also responsible for the Player's existence in the first place, having rejected the platinum chip delivery himself on the belief that you'd be killed delivering it.

You still haven't put together a compelling argument for why the nuclear terrorist who carried water for the wasteland's most prolific slaver for most of his reign deserves to even live, let alone why the Courier should have to appease him to justify their own continued existence.

Hell, you haven't even established that it IS the only way for the Courier to justify their own continued existence - and that 'probably' says that you think even that might not be enough! So what WOULD actually not-just-probably justify the Courier's continued existence to you?

Or that the revenge angle is anything more than a plot hook.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jan 31, 2018

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm just stuck on the amnesia claims. Rope kid could correct me, because the memory is not fresh, but I'm pretty sure your character's memories are intact.

Where did I claim amnesia? Where did I even bring up amnesia?

Nobody's disputing that the Courier didn't remember they took a robot into town and then the robot made the town blow up. Of course they did.

The dispute is that either A) the Courier knew that the robot would make the town blow up, or that B) the Courier SHOULD have known that the robot would make the town blow up, or that C) the Courier could not possibly have known that the robot would make the town blow up but deserves to die regardless.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Neurolimal posted:

He and his tribe was enslaved by Caesar. He didn't make the decision to work for him. In fact, the moment he had an opportunity he abandoned the Legion, it makes no sense to hold this against him. He wants to get rid of the Legion and NCR both because he recognizes them as imperfect nations, and because they both destroyed his homes. He deserves to live because nobody deserves to die for the crime of getting their homes destroyed and being enslaved.

Bad choice of words, perhaps.

Ulysses ought expect the consequences of being an exterminator of hundreds and hundreds of people on several occasions, and of being a clear and present threat of extermination of literal millions of people on the occasion presented in Lonesome Road. Perhaps in the real world that would get him a lifetime stay at a Nordic-administered International Court of Justice social rehabilitation retreat, but in a place where most societies consider misdemeanors to be capital offenses, no points for guessing what that consequence is likely to be. In any case, that clear and present threat means the Courier is left with only a few options - manage a meeting of the minds with Ulysses, which is definitely not up to the Courier alone; consign Ulysses to death; consign good portions of the Southwest's population to death. Arguably no one deserves to die at all, and no one deserves to decide the lives of others, but defense of self and others is fairly well established both ethically and in the theologies the Courier is likely to encounter traveling the Mojave and neighboring lands, the Courier alone has been brought to and left with this decision by Ulysses and his machinations, and you would need some extremely creative argument to justify Ulysses' life over that of much of the Southwest's population. If he lives, marvelous. If not, welp.

Being conquered does not relieve him of these consequences. Being enslaved might, if slavery constitutes principal or constructive obliteration of his personal autonomy and agency. This isn't too uncommon in the Legion (arguably, with the apparatus and mythology of the Legion, this has happened even to Caesar!) so this is an easy generalization to make.

The problem with generalizing this concept out to Ulysses is that he is a frumentarius, and exceptional even for them. Frumentarii in general have among the greatest latitude and opportunity for perspective afforded anyone in the wasteland, and it's surprisingly easy for someone of talent or means to purposely lose themselves in a place like the Mojave. Or Utah. (Speaking of Utah: Ulysses' first opportunity to abandon the Legion was after the sacking of New Canaan? Really? It might have been the breaking point for him but first opportunity?) Whether the Legion will attempt retribution is answered at Wolfhorn Ranch. (Speaking of ethics: bringing another person into a life like Ulysses'.)

Neurolimal posted:

I never said it was the only way to justify the Courier's existence; you're the first person to even bring up that the Courier should die, as a flippant response to me suggesting that the Courier was responsible for getting Hopeville blown up. He's not the arbiter of why the Courier should survive, but the fact that the person who has the most deserved grudge against the Courier can be persuaded to his side is a compelling reason why the Courier is not beyond redemption for his mistakes.

You believe that the Courier should be held accountable for a mass murder which they could not have known about, by virtue of, from the Courier's perspective, carrying junk to a place. How does that responsibility/accountability even attach? "They carried thing, so gently caress 'em"?

Why need the Courier be redeemed? It's up to the player to determine whether the Courier is a person of faith, and 'deliverance from sin' is profoundly theological. At least atonement makes sense in a secular context, but if the Courier IS "responsible", that atonement will at least be life-long, and the opinion of one person isn't going to alter the course of such atonement much - and how the Courier handles a potential nuclear attack perpetrated by that one person would speak far louder. What consequences should the Courier expect? (Asked and answered.) In any case, the Courier is under no external obligation to justify themselves to Ulysses in particular, especially in this moment (you could argue an obligation to Ulysses, but that's probably overridden by the nuclear terrorism) and any internal obligation would be up to the player! If they can manage it, marvelous. If not, welp.

EDIT: Another thought occurs: When does the Courier learn that the 'broken' eyebot that someone had sent to Hopeville had destroyed it? If it's upon entering the Lonesome Road, then responsibility and accountability are up to the player, at least outside the Divide. Ulysses might have opinions but he's not publishing them on Radio New Vegas, whether or not he survives.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 31, 2018

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Dongicus posted:

its cool how people praise fallout 4's shooting mechanics as the thing fallout 4 does best over the other games despite it being barely on par with CoD.

praising bethesda for being just a centimetre above the bar

They're technically correct.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Is it really anymore?

I liked the anthology-in-a-game idea upthread.

As for mutants:

West Coast mutants, made intended to be sort-of-equals to the Master, quite aware what they're going through.

East Coast mutants, mostly walls of meat with brains-ish to match, and the destruction of them as people (since they were dissidents in the eyes of the local Big Bad) is considered by their makers as a feature.

Yikes.

As for the Next Fallout, to be fair, it's probably hard to still be Fallout if you're not dealing with America, and Bethesda does not want to start A Thing with the People's Republic so China is probably not going to get a Fallout. New Vegas left us with hooks for Chicago, Fallout 3 (at least the Pitt) left us with hooks for Toronto (not technically the United States, until the last year or so before the Two Hours War anyway) and now 4 has an alleged hook for New York City which I didn't actually notice in there. I always imagine Fallout's NYC as basically a sea of glass with islands of skyscraper in it, but I guess they sort of did that with the Glowing Sea already.

I kind of want them to do Toronto just so we can see America from the outside.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Freaking Crumbum posted:

true, none of the recent games have matched the raw excremental power of dynamiting the poo poo well in Modok.

And now someone needs to import the Saints Row 2 septic truck's cannon for Automatron. Or maybe the rideable mod.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm probably the only person who thinks this but Honest Hearts was my favorite of the DLC.

You are not alone. :hfive:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I really want the next fallout to swerve away from all of the high-tech sci-fi bullshit that's gotten glommed on over the years. I want to play a fallout where the lovely pipe guns are the pinnacle of firearms technology, a working pre-war handgun or assault rifle is a priceless treasure, there might be ONE single laser pistol in the entire game, robots exist only as scrapped heaps of junk and not as a type of creature so common that they're literally working as shopkeepers in survivor cities, etc.

This wasn't even true in Fallout 1.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I didn't say that it was? :confused:

I was just stating what I would like the next FO to feel like.

Yes. You would like it to feel like the series has never felt before, and arguably distinctly not like Fallout at all. You may be better served by looking for a game series with the aesthetic you're looking for, rather than trying to cram this one into it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Freaking Crumbum posted:

nah, though. if the general trend of increasingly civilized settings continues apace, FO5 is going to involve your character living a normal post-post-apocalypse life where you have to prepare for your job interview as a computer programmer for the NCR and fret about whether or not you can afford your apartment rent after the landlord just raised the rate to 1200 caps. you'll enjoy exciting things like eating lunch at a functional restaurant and paying for a ride on working public transportation.

low-tech/no-tech might not be what the original FO was, but it'd be more interesting than everything more-or-less returning to 20th century normalcy (with the exception that there's inexplicably a metric fuckton of pre-war trash still piled up on every street corner).

And now I hope that's exactly how Fallout 5 happens, just to piss you off.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

RBA Starblade posted:

An eight hour game where you don't do anything only at the end the protagonist to Fallout New Vegas 2 shows up to pickpocket you and leave. You explode because he put a grenade in your pants.

I probably deserved it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Charles Mansion posted:

Reading this thread reminded me that Fallout 4 is steaming poo poo and reminded me that New Vegas is the poo poo. What community patches/mods are must haves for NV in 2018?

The actual Fallout: New Vegas Modding Thread.

Literal not-optional stuff includes:
NVSE - the script extender that lets most things work,
CASM - a new autosave system built from the manual save system and replacing the default entirely because the default corrupts save files, and
NVAC - New Vegas Anti-Crash; a handler for tons of game-breaking exceptions that Bethesda (you read that right) should have caught in testing but couldn't be bothered.

You will almost certainly want:
the new FNV_4GB, which patches FalloutNV.exe on disk rather than in memory,
the Mod Configuration Menu to configure things like CASM and some of the bigger mods, and
Yukichigai's Unofficial Patch for reasons you can probably figure out on your own.

You are rather likely to want:
JSawyer Ultimate, an expanded form of Josh Sawyer's rules changes file,
New Vegas Uncut, a set of content restoration mods. There's supposed to be a Github of 'em but it's 404.

There's also goon favorites like Yukichigai's Gameplay Tweaks and the Radio New Vegas Secret Stash (if you can find it), but at that point it's time to visit the modding thread.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

rude

Yeah, video game romances sure are A Thing.

When the throwaway single-button skits from Saints Row IV are near the top of the heap, that's probably a sign your medium has problems with intimacy.

Arcsquad12 posted:

New Vegas uncut also recently had a compilation patch made so you only need to download one instead of several and cut down on your plugin count.

That's on the downed Github page and also needs some heavier (read: any) documentation so people who haven't shot mods directly into their veins can install it properly.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

2house2fly posted:

The main quest ends with a big battle like 3 and New Vegas; for that you need someone who you can say "ok let's have the big battle now" to

So?

If no one's left do a fireworks show or a giant robot breakdance number or something.

Saying they put no thought into the critical path seems generous at this point.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Glazius posted:

Well, the Brotherhood are basically Lyons' faction that got soft-couped by the Outcasts, the Institute condone slavery institutionally, pardon the pun, and the Railroad don't particularly care about what happens to the Commonwealth as long as they can keep the synths going to freedom.

Those don't seem hugely incompatible, internally, even though they can all present a friendly face to start with.

The Brotherhood hate the Institute for making new tech that could even theoretically have force implications and they hate the Railroad for helping that tech spread, both to the point of extermination, with no regard for the actual effects or intents of this technology. The Institute and Railroad may not hate the Brotherhood, but since it is an existential threat to both of them neither can rest while it continues to exist in the Commonwealth.

The Institute also hates the Railroad for draining it of labor, and the Railroad exists specifically to free enslaved sapient life. Were the Institute to stop manufacturing sapient slaves, the Railroad would have a much smaller purpose (re-adapt Synths who want no further role in the Institute to life in the Commonwealth or neighboring lands).

You're right, in that the Institute's issues are political. The ball with the Institute got dropped because Bethesda puts the Sole Survivor in a unique position to enact radical policy change within the Institute and then simply provides no way for the player to do that.

But you're wrong, in that the Brotherhood's issues are ideological, and still as hidebound and backwards as they were in Fallout: New Vegas - so long as they don't recognize that absent resorting to an Enclave-like subjugation and/or extermination of anyone outside their organization, they're simply going to stagnate and be left behind or destroyed by the post-Great-War world. And that subjugation is exactly what the East Coast Brotherhood has done in the Capital and now intends to do in the Commonwealth.

The Minutemen are nominally entirely orthogonal to this conflict - nominally seeking the stability and redevelopment of the Commonwealth (which had put them at odds with the Institute until they were reduced to an ideal pitched to some rando that stumbled out of a fridge) but functionally pretty much whatever the Sole Survivor wants as long as it's not raiders.

And I've thought more about Bethesda's writing and abided by it more than Bethesda's writers have, and have thus discovered yet another new and exciting reason to hate myself.

Internet Kraken posted:

I am glad that in response to the critcism of the Brotherhood in Fallout 3 Bethesda just had the Outcasts take it back over after Lyons hosed everything up.

Can't let things get post-post-apocalyptic, after all :downs:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

2house2fly posted:

Its weird to me that this game that's thick with references to Fallout 3, and even goes on to reference the original games via Kellogg, doesn't include any mention of the pre-war consumables and magazines introduced in New Vegas, and in some cases introduces some new drug or something that does exactly the same thing as an NV item. It really makes me think none of the developers played New Vegas, or are somehow convinced nobody liked it and would prefer to pretend it never happened

Or Bethesda know that people more or less adore New Vegas and now they have to erase it in a desperate bid to keep their half-assedness making money.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Neurolimal posted:

Yeah but, when you're asked to make a choice between slavery and euthanizing an entire race....

Is it really euthanasia if future series of synths are simply never instantiated? The Railroad is, if taken at face value, probably just happy that no others will be born into slavery, not really contemplating what a free synth culture would actually look like (and given that many of them get wiped before they go out of the Commonwealth to live human lives, they didn't really understand that such a question existed).

Come to think of it, synths as a people were always dependent on the Institute for their continued propagation. Also, third-generation (actual internally human-like) synths are fairly recent, with not a lot of evidence on their lifespan either way.

And now we have Highlanders. That ought to be fun.

Neurosis posted:

a preview of the moral choice before us when lab-grown chicken eggs and cow milk are indistinguishable from the real thing and cheaper

This is not the comparison you want to make.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Like I said, I really HOPE that's the direction the series takes the synths because that poo poo is fascinating.

But, right now, synths aren't viewed or treated that way in game. They're either seen as non-people by the institute or humans with what amounts to a weird medical condition by the Railroad. The idea that Synths might want to have a culture and identity separate from humanity (sort of like the one ghouls have) is never even brought up, which is a shame because there's a lot of interesting stuff to explore there.

:agreed:

Even the mindwiped ones are eventually going to figure out that they aren't baselines when they and ghouls are the only people they remember from their prime that are still around and oh my doesn't the doctor have some questions whenever they show up.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

CASM

You don't want the native autosave to leave you with corrupt save files.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Deacon killed a cat.

Well, at least the Institute will be useful as a power base.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

:hai:

Vavrek posted:

We're all agreed that ED-E doesn't count because he never leaves the Courier's side, right?

Unless you steal Not Elvis's dog.

Just get his brain fixed up and bring him home. ED-E will understand.

Probably.

The cyberdog brain thing raises some uncomfortable questions, come to think of it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

JawKnee posted:

do it while ED-E is getting upgraded

Damnit, that's brilliant.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

dead comedy forums posted:

oh poo poo, I think I did something really loving dumb in FNV

So I finished the BoS quests to get power armor training and now a shitload of people are hostile to me, this is working as designed, right?

Power armor labeled 'Brotherhood' is faction armor.

In the faction disguise sense.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

StandardVC10 posted:

NOT BEING A MONSTER is its own reward (also there are only a few opportunities to get bonus Brotherhood rep?)

And you need that Brotherhood rep to keep Veronica on-side after you pop the Mojave Brotherhood bunker for exterminating a Followers outpost.

You'd think that would have been an absolute deal-breaker for Veronica regardless the Wild Child rep, but :shrug:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

2house2fly posted:

I guess it' sobering to bring that message into the real world, where the money I pay in taxes goes towards drone strikes on weddings and the police beating up protesters

Okay then, go turn yourself in for financing terrorism.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Ha ha ha, we're doing this again. Not just the thread, but specifically you and I. :moments:

Speedrun version for the class:

Ulysses accuses the Courier of delivering an eyebot that sent a signal to blow up Hopeville and Ashton. Neurolimal and (I'm assuming) 2house2fly have accepted Ulysses' assessment of fault at face value. Guess it's impossible that Ulysses is an unreliable narrator? Or is he an unreliable narrator most of the time but perfectly right about just you? Because that makes sense.

Let's start from the worst degree of responsibility: the Courier went out of their way to destroy the settlements. We can (I hope; at the very least, I can) safely dismiss the idea that the Courier decided that "you know what gently caress everyone in those two towns" as asinine since even Ulysses, in his latest fit of very stable genius, doesn't level that accusation at them.

So did the Courier not do a good enough job inspecting the package for hazards? First, that's Mojave Express's job, and second, if for some reason you've transferred your own self-loathing onto the Courier, how the hell are you supposed to tell that it's not even a complete city-buster, just the trigger for one? It's not like there's a circuit board inside labeled "Take to Facility Name and redeem for megadeaths". It's old-world bullshit, possibly new old-world bullshit. Plenty of Enclave gone to ground with life-long grudges, Brotherhood trying to cover for their fleeing chapters and not caring what savages end up being caught up in it; both have the technical know-how and geo-intelligence to set up something like this and that's just obvious suspects. They'd be able to cover it up pretty easy, especially from a world that doesn't really "get" that laser weapons have recovery transceivers and may not get that they have serial numbers.

So should the Courier have not taken the old-world bullshit as a delivery? Possibly too many variables for a proper analysis. Could be the Mojave Express said 'well the sender said it was safe' (which might merit some followup but could also lead to 'fine whatever it's caps') or perhaps 'it's a deactivated robot it's not going to do anything'. Probably a lot of old-world stuff goes out through the post, alongside letters and things. Settlements probably rely on proper caravans, or make or grow or scavenge on site, or make do without if it's not vital. I suppose a lot of this hinges on whatever skills and credibility you think the Courier had before Benny air-conditioned their skull. But given the condition of New California's labor rights, the Mojave Express probably had enough to cover the company on paper, which means that turning down the delivery would have only reflected poorly on the Courier. Picky at the wrong time or too often and it could cost the Courier that steady job, and the prospects for steady work are bad enough back West that people are coming out to Vegas to farm for the state.

And before you even think the word Nuremberg, I don't know about your local post office, but I haven't seen any death camps, settlement bulldozings, or human-subject experiments at mine.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Neurolimal posted:

If the Courier had tried to inspect the package and just couldn't find out its purpose that's one thing. We don't have any reason to believe that's what happened, the Courier just delivered the package and left.

[...]

The Courier not doing his due diligence to make sure what he was doing would be good beyond "Deliver Package" is perfectly in line with this compared to believing the Courier whipped out the metal detector and bomb sniffing muthounds.

Oh, well if couriers have all that at their disposal then why would you even need Mojave Express.

Neurolimal posted:

In fact, we have explicit reason to believe the Courier was haphazard in his deed, because not only is LR written by Avellone, but it's a continuation of the themes from Kreia's storyline in KOTOR2

:ironicat:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Neurolimal posted:

??? I feel like you're going more for catty remark than actually discussing this. I'm not saying he had that, or that it would be a reasonable expectation for him to have that. What I'm saying is that it is most likely that he didn't do anything to inspect the package. Yes, the Mojave Express is also at fault for not doing their due diligence as well. There can be multiple people at fault.

You're saying that the Courier didn't even do basic 'will this kill me' checks. I mean, maybe the Courier literally has the save/load function at their disposal, but you'd think we'd have heard about that in in-game lore if that was the case. The odds of the Courier even surviving to receive this order for delivery would require graduate-level math to express otherwise.

Neurolimal posted:

If you dont like Kreia that's fine, but I dont think it's unlikely for the person who wrote Kreia and evidently likes tackling moral grey areas would continue that in his next work.

And now you're bringing in other sources on the basis that the author had a particular point to make. You're arguing from the conclusion. Someone else's conclusion. This is getting sad.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

I am not obligated to take your 'gently caress it yolo' playthroughs as the canon outcome of the game, or as a disproof of a human/social concept of self-interested due diligence in general.

And if a work can't establish a theme on its own then ... well, that says a lot about the work, but let's leave it at maybe the theme's not there.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 20, 2018

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

2house2fly posted:

The work establishes its own themes just fine, and it's still not a bad idea to use as an author's other texts as a lens. The Metal Gear Solid series kind of benefits from this, the games are self-contained but tend to make a little more sense within the context of the other games

It does, but Neurolimal's coming off as desperate to shoehorn 'personal negligence' into it. I just hope they're not trying to argue like Ulysses as a gimmick or something.

Bad analogy: the Metal Gear Solid titles are a continuous series; a Fallout game and a Star Wars game that share an author are not.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

I'm just surprised Bethesda's making a Fallout game where modders can't save them from themselves.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Octal posted:

It's going to probably break all of the mods for both games if they do it.

What does this mean for the GOG versions?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

No, I mean, will there be a mod schism, with everyone chasing the advancing Steam version numbers like the Fallout 4 mod mess while the GOG versions are forgotten, or will the GOG versions straight up not be for sale anymore, or ... well, what?

(The ideal is that the GOG versions remain stable and become the mod reference, or better yet that Fallout 3 and New Vegas take the one last patch and also come to rest.

And I'll also take a unicorn, and animal fries, and a shake.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Blast of Confetti posted:

How much does the chance for Idiot Savant go down with each intelligence point in Fallout 4? I like the spin the chance for extra xp but I can't maje gun mods because 1 intel

the Vault posted:

[Idiot Savant] [Notes]
  • The chance of activation for the single extra XP is (12-INT)% per event, to a minimum of 1%.
  • Without this perk, XP boost from INT ranges from 1.03 to 1.30. At rank 1, the long-term XP boost ranges from 1.257 (at INT 1) to 1.352 (at INT 10). At rank 2, the long-term XP boost ranges from 1.4832 (at INT 1) to 1.404 (at INT 10).

EDIT: Nukapedia has gone into exhaustive detail; the ideal breakpoints for rank 2 being at INT values 2 and 15+.

On the other hand, unless you're save-scumming every experience gain event or doing a fairly focused playthrough, you're probably better off with different perks.

On the ... I dunno, how good are you at grasping things with your feet... if it's the idea you like, then it's your game, go nuts. Even at 1% it'll happen plenty.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jun 3, 2018