Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
as someone that's only just managed to learn how to build a shack in FO4, how elaborate can you make your CAMP in FO76?

and if the public server boots your CAMP and you have to place it again, what happens to all the things you already built up? Do you get refunded the materials?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

tadashi posted:

it's endless entertainment if you're into building tree houses and converting overpasses into live/work/play developments.

gradenko_2000 posted:

continuing my Fallout 4 playthrough, in Sanctuary, I took one of the completely ruined houses and scrapped it, and then placed the cooking station, the weapons workbench, and the armor workbench on the flat concrete foundation left behind

it had been like this for a few days, but I was looking at it and thought that it seemed kinda lazy to just have it all laying out like that, so I started putting down walls around the foundation, and then a door, and a roof

once I had done that, I was like... well, nobody wants to stay in a completely bare room, so I put down a bed, a sofa (that's really just three airplane seats put together), a dining table, and some chairs around the table

I was feeling rather pleased with myself, but then, while I was scrapping some junk, Piper walks into the room, sits down on the chair I placed next to the dining table, and takes a drink

in the back of my mind I know this is extremely simplistic behavior, but the other part of me is completely blown away

sheesh, what a game

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I can't really find a reliable answer on the internet, so I figured I might as well ask here: since a private world in FO76 goes poof if nobody's in it after about 10 minutes or something, does that mean the new private world that gets created when you come back is restocked with enemies and junk and drops?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Moreau posted:

Inevitably, its always the settlement building that drags me back into a new run of FO4. I really do wish there were more games out there to scratch that settlement building itch

Yeah this is what got me hooked onto the game also

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Megazver posted:

Lolling at Bethesda not having any recent Fallout games to sell with this, though.

FO4 PS5 update when

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is anyone here familiar with the "Real Time Settler" mod for New Vegas? I was told that this was the inspiration for FO4's settlements so I was wondering if someone here has ever played with it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it's more that getting all the dlc is better for mod compatibility if you're at all going to do it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The thing about whatever it is they did to New Vegas is that if Todd/Bethesda really did hate it, it wouldn't have come up at all.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It would likely be prudent for that team to delay their release

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think it would have been so surprising to find out that Nate was in fact a war criminal

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bumhead posted:

Is it just that it’s the most recent Fallout that isn’t 76?

I would say that's a big part of it. All the other Fallouts require some babying to run out of the box.

I personally consider 4 to be my favorite, but mostly because of the settlement system, which isn't necessarily a Fallout-specific concept, as well as the looter-shooter-ness of it, which not everyone regards as a positive.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if he was just kidding about it he would have just disavowed the whole post rather than trying to find a way to let it stay true while walking-back the specific "war criminal" allegation

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1780954449638572130?t=2VIcdQm2bGnU2EWRWk-HPw&s=19

it's a real renaissance moment for Fallout

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if they're going to fix that the in-game mod browser for the playstation version doesn't work in Asia

I'm guessing no

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

redreader posted:

I'm sort of getting bored of fallout 4 around the same place as I did last time, just after I got to diamond City. I'm only level ten so I'm still having to avoid lots of fights. Is there anything you recommend I do because it's very good or fun? I'm hoping it gets better later?

clear out the entire northern edge of the map first.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Megazver posted:

Wasteland 3 is 80% off atm on Steam. It was a bit undercooked when it released but by the time I played it it was in good condition and a very fun experience. (The DLCs are meh, though.)

I've said it once and I'll say it again: MS should ask Inxile to make Fallout Tactics 2 with W3's tech.

I played this last year and thought it was excellent.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
they really should've made it so that Survival Mode and Difficulty Level were two separate things, like in NV

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

genuinely incredible that this is happening. Would people launching it with mods even register on Steam?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

Remaster FO3/NV or something. Or Remaster 1 and 2. It's crazy that there's all this hubub about the show and all they have to show for it game wise is to promote a game from nearly 9 years ago because no one wants to touch 76.

yeah there's definitely value in putting out a re-release of 3 and NV even if it's just "this supports modern OSes now"

and getting them on the Switch

and getting them on the PS4 / PS5; current gen Xboxes can play 3/NV for the 360 via back-compat, but since 3/NV originally came out for the PS3, there's no way to play them now on Sony consoles except via their streaming service

poo poo, doesn't Microsoft own all of this now? They should get the guys who did the Diablo 2 remaster to work their magic on Fallout 1 / 2

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

History Comes Inside! posted:

3 and NV already run fine on modern OSes

that never stopped Bethesda from releasing yet another edition of Skyrim

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
When is the PS5 update supposed to drop?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
for fellow PS5 enjoyers: the version of FO4 you have installed is going to be the PS4 version, and it's going to have an update, but that's not the next-gen update, and is probably just the new Creator Club content and bugfixes

you want to go to the PS Store and get your free PS5 update, download that instead, and it's going to be a 56 GB install

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Oh my god they fixed mod access for Asian Playstations

Love you Todd

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
FWIW mods on the Playstation still seem to work, as far as I can tell, and acknowledging that the mod framework on consoles is very limited

in particular, I downloaded one that skips the pre-war prologue and starts the game just as you leave the cryo chamber. So you still have to go through Vault 111, but it cuts out some of the stuff we've seen before

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Fallout 4: it should be possible to progress some of the way into the game without contacting Preston Garvey, right?

I'm trying out Survival, and I did not want to take my chances on the sequence with the Deathclaw until I had some levels under my belt. I found that I was able to access Sanctuary's workshop and build items, which should mean that as long as I can scrounge the parts, I can put up a settler beacon, start attracting people, and build-up Sanctuary without ever having lead Garvey back to it?

and then Red Rocket can similarly be unlocked and developed all by myself?

I'm not going to avoid Concord forever, just until I'm a bit more confident in my ability to survive.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Flesh Forge posted:

you can complete the game without ever speaking to preston & company, you can just leave them inside the museum forever :byewhore:

it locks you out of the cleaned-up version of the Castle and artillery (and the loot in the armory too) but that's all I can think of.

Tankbuster posted:

you can play the entire game without contacting the minutemen or the brotherhood.

oh poo poo lmao that's impressively open-ended. thank you

___

here's another question: from a benefit-to-the-player standpoint, what is the utility of a built-up settlement?

- a safe place to sleep
- a source of fresh water
- once you get settlers in and they can do some farming, a source of edible food
- storage space
- crafting stations

those seem to be the low-hanging fruit

as I understand it, later on you'll be able to send out settlers to gather scrap for you, and you can set up shops for armor and weapons, but I think that's only something you can do much later, because it requires significant materials and some higher-level perks, yes?

anything else?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
FO4: I caught an illness. I don't know how - I was eating baked/roasted meats and purified water only and didn't take any Rad-X / Rad-Away

is it because I didn't eat/drink before I went to sleep for 12 hours?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
FO76:

1. I am trying my strategy of "ignore the main quest and just gently caress around and explore", and I was doing some research, and it seems like the entire zone of The Forest is level 1-10, but there's no defined specific level within the zone. Does that level adjust to mine as I walk into a point-of-interest, but caps out at 10?

2. is there a spot that I can use as a base-of-operations that I wouldn't need to use a CAMP on? Like, something with stash access, a bed, maybe a crafting station or two?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I have to admit I'm a little intimidated by all this talk of endgame weapons (?) and optimization. When do I have to start worrying about such things as opposed to just loving around and picking out what's cool? I do understand that SPECIAL points and perks can be changed rather freely.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Flesh Forge posted:

You never do, have fun nobody's going to come to your house and give you a wedgie for having a suboptimal character

I have something like a thousand levels between 4 characters and they're all terrible :toot:

do the enemies just never become too hard?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Steve Yun posted:

Can I build buildings in FO4 that will shield me from radioactive storms

pretty sure you can - you just have to make the building enclosed enough

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Entorwellian posted:

You don't have to worry about late game poo poo at all. It's probably the easiest Fallout game that you can get into without worrying about min-max building your characters. With my current character I've just been picking S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats as I feel like I need them.

If you really want to do an automatic pistols build, go for it.

thank you! just gonna learn to let it ride

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it does seem like acting like a total packrat and selling a bunch of junk to hit a critical mass of caps is how you really turn the game around. In my FO3 run it's not really that much of a choice to ask for payment before doing a quest because 100 caps as a reward is just a speedbump when you can loot 50 caps worth of tin cans from the place you were going to do the quest anyway

if anything the bigger obstacle is the vendor running out of caps for you

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

JBP posted:

Yeah I guess what I mean is do the settlements work on survival mode? Like it seems pretty fast travel dependent.

what do you mean by "work"?

the settlements are fully functional in survival mode, in that you can build things, and you can attract settlers, and you want to provide food and water to the settlers, and the excess food and water will be deposited into the settlement's workshop, which you can make use of in survival; and the more advanced settlement perks let you build out stores/market stalls, which you can make use of

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Phanatic posted:

What's the state of Fallout 76? I never played it, but I figure it might be long enough after the release that they've got it mostly working. Do people still play? Is it worth thirty bucks?

it's good now OP

(it was already mostly good as much as a year ago, if not longer, but the momentum from the TV show has gotten people to (re-)discover it and break through the bad reputation it used to have)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

henpod posted:

Started fallout 4 on ps5, and man, I am overwhelmed by the sheer amount of content. It seems I am almost constantly collecting junk and animal bits, taking them to my base at the gas station, crafting, going back out there, coming back, and so on. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but I easily get distracted by busywork and was wondering how much of that is really necessary. Distress signals, radio signals, etc, are all taking a lot of time.

I guess I'm asking, is there a way to tell which quests are the 'main' story quests, and which ones are side quests? Don't get me wrong, I do want to chill and explore the lands, but I do want to progress in reasonable time. Do I really need to focus that much time on crafting, building settlements, and so on - or do weapons and skills organically come to you as you play the quests.

Are settlements important? Do I need to grow, maintain, babysit them? Or can I ignore that part.

Also, I am collecting power armour sets, but not really using them - probably because I don't want to bother with keeping batteries and repairing them. Are they really important at all?

you don't have to build up settlements, and especially if you're not playing on Survival mode. There are some benefits to doing so, but for the most part people who engage with the system do so because they like it for its own sake

essentially you can pick a spot, like Sanctuary, and then use its Workshop as an infinitely large and safe storage room, and Fast Travel back to it whenever you want to deposit / withdraw items that you left off

if you're not building up settlements, then the need to scoop up every last bit of junk is lessened by quite a bit, since then the main use for it would be to engage with crafting

if you're also not crafting either, then you don't even need to do that

basically, the game can be played on a spectrum of vacuuming every site dry and building a dragon's hoard of garbage on one end, and a super-lean survivalist mode of "only use what you can carry, nothing gets stored" on the other end, and you're free to engage with it however much you want in either direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FutureCop posted:

Ok, so I was taking a peek at playing Fallout 4, but I encountered some problems:

1) Despite having a pretty dang good rig and all, the game doesn't feel that smooth: it's like the mouse is delayed slightly and the FPS is lower than I would think. It's not anything extreme like stutters or freezes, and it's slight enough that I wouldn't mind for some games, but I was having problems snappily aiming at the first radroaches you encounter from this weird lag, so that's a bad sign. Is this just how the game is, or is there some sort of setting I need to adjust?

There's some kind of mouse input lag to the game that you've got to mod to fix
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/27019