Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Fallout Tactics was neat. I made one character who was almost impossible to hit, and used him to lure everyone back into my real-time killbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a mod for Fallout 4 that lists everything an item will break down into? It's been a long while since I played and I'm not looking forward to hunting down materials.

EDIT: I don't want to just add the materials with mods or the console. Is there a way to use the existing junk flag feature and just have all the materials show up when I target an item?

\/\/\/ Holy cow, right while I was editing! That looks great, thanks!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 16, 2018

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

mauman posted:

indeed, the Chicago branch of the brotherhood is even mentioned in FO3.

Would Tactics or Bethesda's games make better canon?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Katt posted:

May I present you with an alternative to making the world a better place.

https://i.imgur.com/2NDD6KV.mp4

https://youtu.be/3gU6VVjgyxE

It's available on Bethesda.net, too. Good stuff.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Keeshhound posted:

What is this slander!?

Also, minor fallout 4 thing: Piper owns a loving printing press, why are her pamphlets not in a more professional font? Why does anyone take her lovely font choices seriously? Any time someone tries to accuse McDonnough of being a synth he should just say "Comic Sans :smug:" and walk away.

Being snooty about a font... being snooty about a font never changes.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Garrand posted:

After giving up my raw survival run and started modding I just grabbed a mod that gave me back fast travel and quick saving. I mean, I could live without fast travel but I don't think the areas and combat are interesting enough to trek through multiple times but that quicksave thing is loving mandatory. gently caress having to find a bed to save.

chitoryu12 posted:

Is there a good, working unlimited companion mod for Fallout 4? I could never get it working and always had to choose.

This one, for Dogmeat + another companion, looks neat. PC and Xbox versions: https://bethesda.net/en/mods/fallout4/mod-detail/922931

This one allows up to 15, also for PC and Xbox: https://bethesda.net/en/mods/fallout4/mod-detail/912311

And if you're gonna clutter up your interior cells with excessive party members, you should get this one, which contains the Terrible Secret Of Space: https://bethesda.net/en/mods/fallout4/mod-detail/3263990

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You know what I wish was in Fallout 4?

Ballistic Fists. Those were sweet.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Katt posted:

I don't get the logic behind the FO1 limited time.

Like he's an open-ish world RPG where you can do a ton of stuff but better not linger and enjoy it or game over.

I didn't even know about the timer until it ran out. I assumed it was one of those metaphysical timers like "You have to save the princess right now!"

How did that timer pass all levels of development? How did it pass final play testing?

I know, inbreeding mutant ridin' ostriches while a giant meteor menaces the planet is where it's at! Then you can get that one overkill attack nobody ever shuts up about in between guesstimating exactly what the scouter reported before Vegeta smooshed it.

Some post-game adventuring like in Fallout 2 would be okay, but a time limit makes your choices actually meaningful.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

Settle down beavis

The timer isn't a bad idea in of itself, but it doesn't really make your choices meaningful when you can still get Best End for everything in the time allotted.

Sure you can, if you use a guide or play the game ritualistically until you get The Perfect Speed Run or whatever. That other dude was complaining about the timer interfering with their meanderthon.

Also lol, nice.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
But, Johnny Five Aces, you guys.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

2house2fly posted:

I'm not sure how companion romances will go without a voiced main character. They might drop those as well

If you care at all about your vidja gaem husbando/waifu, you will recite your lines, IN CHARACTER, at the screen.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

dead comedy forums posted:

oh boy

I certainly consider Elder Scrolls to be rather creative in the use of stuff like pseudo-gnosticism as a way to make really fun, weird lore, but consistent is another thing entirely. CHIM as console cheats? Time-travelling cyborg as a possible temporal splinter of a god who killed himself?

CHIM I remember, but who was the time traveling cyborg?

The ending of the words is A L M V I S I

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Nasgate posted:

Morrowind, much like Oblivion and Skyrim are all based on Daggerfall and Arena. Like, iirc they added almost zero new lore books to Morrowind. And Kirkbride didn't come on until Redguard. So no, you're thinking of Ted Peterson and Julian Lefay. Kirkbride literally does TES fanfiction.

Looking at what he wrote on the Elder Scrolls Wiki, he wrote a lot of stuff for Morrowind. At least 36 things.

The ending of the words is A L M V I S I

juggalo baby coffin posted:

idk man wasnt all the vivec poo poo kirkbride? thats the poo poo i do like.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Michael_Kirkbride

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Bloodlines is very good, but needs patching to play and enjoy.

Part of the latter half of the game can be harder than it should be at certain points if you've not got any combat skills or good weapons... you can't talk/think your way out of everything. Similar to Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Makes some people pretty frustrated or mad, though.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

Wasteland 2 is really bad, don't trick people

frajaq posted:

Wasteland 2 is not very good unfortunately

Gonna have to give some reasons or that's just hyperbole.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Arcsquad12 posted:

Guys guys I just realized:
Bethesda is The Institute.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

juggalo baby coffin posted:

fuuuuuuuuuck

theres not even a mod to play as either in fallout 4 which sucks rear end.

There are a couple, actually, on God's Own System.

Super Mutant:
https://bethesda.net/en/mods/fallout4/mod-detail/2879311

Feral Ghoul:
https://bethesda.net/en/mods/fallout4/mod-detail/3412449

The above ones screw up using power armor (are basically power armor reskins) and the below ones let you create a ghoul at character creation.

I'm Ghoulish:
https://bethesda.net/en/mods/fallout4/mod-detail/2084403

Revamped Ghoul Mod:
https://bethesda.net/en/mods/fallout4/mod-detail/3123659

Playable Ghouls:
https://bethesda.net/en/mods/fallout4/mod-detail/1077498

That last one can just ghoulify your current character, too.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Can anyone recommend awesome mods for Fallout 4 for the Xbox? There are so many I don't know what to do.

I've got a bunch, and I really like these:

Companion Infinite Ammo
Everyone's Best Friend
Sim Settlements: Rise Of The Commonwealth
Push Away Companions
Real Nights With Real Lights
Real Catmeat (sometimes)
Unlocking Violence
Companion Tracker
Locksmith
Improved Map With Visible Roads
Pipboy Light Cast Shadows
Alert Carry
KeyNuker and KeyRing
Spring In The Commonwealth
Sleep or Save
Cheat Terminal (for if you absolutely have to be one of those console cheaterusing people)
Salvage Beacons
Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch
The Beantown Interiors Project
Holstered Weapons
Campsite (this one is an ingenious way to get around the Survival saving rules)
One Minuteman Radiant Quest At A Time
Backpacks of the Commonwealth
Radiant Quest Marker
Full Dialogue Interface
Keep Radiants In The Commonwealth
Overgrowth

Nothing incredibly major, I'm sure you could find a bunch more cosmetic mods that are to your personal taste.

EDIT:

marshmallow creep posted:

Taking a look at some of the stuff I run regularly...

Armor and Weapon Keywords Community Resource (mostly as a prerequisite for other mods)

Binary Speech Checks (makes checks more predictable like New Vegas)

Better Settlers (adds more settler variation, which you might appreciate if you do lots of settlements)

Bullet Time (what it says on the tin)

Critical Hits Outside of VATS

DEF_UI (makes organizing the garbage in this game much easier).

Faded Glory (really good alternate soundtrack).

Farming Resources (lets you buy chickens and rabbits that act as both a source of food and happiness on settlements).

Gear Up Nick Valentine (lets Nick wear armor)

IceBreaker (settlers have more to say so you hear fewer repeated lines always said the same way).

No Negative Affinity and No Affinity Cooldown (for when you just want approval with companions to go up)

Salvage Rewards (Adds shipments to "boss" chests so you get good material for crafting and settlements when you go dungeon diving).

Sim Settlements (adds so much to settlement building and lets it happen more or less on its own so you don't have to build every single wall and hang every decoration).

Smart MIRV (if you use the MIRV upgrade to the FatMan you may know it has a bug that was never fixed that makes it throw the bombs at your feet; this fixes that by making the MIRVs target seeking.)

Survival Mode Console Enabler (this game is too buggy to not have access to the console.)

The Mercenary Pack (really cool armors).

True Frags (adds shrapnel and more physics effects to grenades.)

Will have to check these out too!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Halser posted:

fire rate in semi auto weapons is a mess because of the way inputs are buffered and detected. If you just click as fast as you can, a ton of those clicks won't be registered at all. That makes the firerate random, annoying as hell.

It's the same poo poo that causes lever action weapons to randomly not fire at all, and then randomly fire two/three shots almost instantly without any input whatsoever.

I seem to have avoided this problem by playing on the 360. Trigger pulls are different than clicks, apparently. Maybe try playing with a controller? They're way better than what existed in the 90's now...

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

If/When Fallout 5 comes out i really hope Deacon ends up leaving the railroad and traveling to wherever the new game is set. Once there he'll just keep popping up in random places, each time as a new character in a different disguise. If your character has a high enough intelligence stat you can point out that he's a guy you've seen many times before, but no one else in game will ever believe you.

Basically I want Deacon to be to Fallout what Roger is to American Dad.

This would be great.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

corn in the bible posted:

FO4 was initially planned to have a heavy focus on neonoir kind of things, thus Nick and the Silver Shroud and looking for the son and stuff like that, but then Todd Howard saw his son playing minecraft (this is seriously what he said, he loving said it in an actual interview) and decided it should be about settlements instead.

Oh, Todd...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

StandardVC10 posted:

NOT BEING A MONSTER is its own reward

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Nuh uh!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

corn in the bible posted:

I don't know why you'd want to break the power curve and exploration like that.

I saw a powergamer the other day.

Horrible creatures.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The pre-order bonus amalgamation DLC starts you off with a lot of equipment for a nice start in New Vegas.

I only had the Caravan Pack from my physical purchase (one of the last times I bought a physical game) but none of the individual items break the game and you can get a nice starting pile of caps if you sell everything. Shotgun and leather armor is a nice start, I think.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't there a ghoul in Nuka World who was trying to find the cure for going feral, and it turns out that all ghouls eventually go feral?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Freaking Crumbum posted:

was it Avellone that had a hate-boner for players tagging small guns, sneak and speech and playing the game too "optimally"? the whole conceit of "lose all your gear and double gently caress you if you use guns" seems poorly thought out except as some kind of bizarre retribution for playing the game "wrong"

He probably read online forums where people were insisting on the correct way to play and those people are terrible.

Arcsquad12 posted:

:words: about Kreia

So you're saying that she hopes to be euphoric in this moment? Not because of any Jedi or Sith's blessing, but because of her own intelligence?

Man... I still like Kriea and Ulysses, though.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Aging is a symptom of a self limiter inherent in many/most natural life forms on Earth, though. One would think that those eggheads would correct that in their perfect human replicas.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Reveilled posted:

I had this with the dog. I met a dog in a gas station, but I don't particularly like companions in these sorts of games so I left the dog there. Ten hours later Valentine suggests we use "dogmeat" to track Kellogg and somehow my character knows that the dog he's talking about is that dog I met in a gas station ages ago. Oh and he's outside, magically, like the idea that you might not have taken the dog as a companion instantly upon meeting it wasn't even conceivable to Bethesda.

There is dialogue for if you've literally never met the dog at all where Nick explains that Dogmeat is a dog detective and they go way back and he can introduce you. I'm not sure if that's worse.

I actually like that as a background for Dogmeat.

Dogmeat, Boy Dog Detective.Good Boy Detective.

Someone should make a mod so he can have a Sherlock Holmes hat and pipe and he can chuff observations about people that seem guilty. Not in English, obviously. In Dog.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm still kind of mad that Ultima Online effectively killed Ultima.

I know it's different publishers and studios, I'm just butthurt about it still.

I play plenty of games online that didn't have a butchered single player mode, though.

Need more info but the bar is set super low for this one.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

jfood posted:

whichever number ultima: pagan was killed the series.

that thing was a piece of poo poo. crusader was dope though.

Bholder posted:

Pretty sure it was Ultima 9 that killed Ultima.

Or EA... same thing really.

Yes, the resources diverted into the MMO starved and killed the single player series.

Not virtuous at all.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

eonwe posted:

TESO is great tho

Is it, though?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

Fallout 76 is the new Xbox 1.

Gonna get a whole lot of pushback because of the initial reveal but actually turn out to be decent but also good luck getting people to change their mind once they've made it?

Yeah, I can see that.

I guess that makes me feel a little better about this game? You see what you made me do? You see?

marktheando posted:

Are people really still angry about horse armour? It’s been 12 years.

See above.

MariusLecter posted:

Also you buy it off the creation club.

It was free a couple months back which is the only reason I have it.

mango sentinel posted:

Considering it was the herald of modern DLC and everyone'sPC modder's paranoid, worst case scenario fears came true, yes.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Arcsquad12 posted:

Creation club question. Is it paid mods only or do some people post their content free like on Nexus?

If you look at the mods at Bethesda.net, there are literally more than sixteen hundred free mods for Fallout 4. I haven't checked for Skyrim, because I'm not buying that game again.

They all just work, plug them into your game under the "mods" heading in the main menu. You can adjust the load order if you get really fancy with stuff.

I think some of the PC users here are used to doing it one (old fashioned manual) way, and that's fine, but it's super easy to do this stuff on the Xbone. (And, I assume, the PS4.)

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think you're able to on PS4 because of the way Sony worked it out with Bethesda, no.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Morally that was the right choice, but if you ever do another playthrough I recommend stringing them along for a while because Gage and the other raiders say some interesting/funny things and give you some cool gear.

Also, lessons in blood is one of the better companion given perks: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Lessons_in_Blood

That No Caps Rage, which gives you higher strength and endurance the fewer caps you have from one of the SCAV! magazines is also pretty great.

Plus I think you get to keep the gang perks if you doublecross them?

HatJudge posted:

The first time I started the game, around when it launched, I bounced off hard. The settlement building was clunky and not fun and I was disappointed, to say the least, that within the first hour or so I had already been handed a power armor and killed a deathclaw.
I tried again during christmas break and found that by ignoring everything and making a beeline to Fenway I was able to get into it. I'm on a console so I had to do my ignoring manually, without the aid of mods.
I hate it when games give an urgent quest - your child is kidnapped!! - and then peppers you with unrelated sidequests as if the urgency is of no consequence. Taking time off to help some whiny settlers build beds and plant potatoes is hands down ridiculous. That said, I might have felt differently had I realized that I'd been frozen an extra ten years after Kellogg took the kid.
I'd rather have a game where Detective Nick and I roam the Commonwealth, solving crimes and helping the downtrodden.

Ten years? Um... keep playing.

BarronsArtGallery posted:

So if you install even one mod, achievements won't work on FO4, correct? Even the traditional dialogue options menu mod?

If you care about cheevoes, you need to get them all before you start modding. Modding disables them, try not to get burnt out on the game by then like I did.

On the other hand, a break is nice. I'll come back fresh in a year or so.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

If this game really is set in West Virginia then I'm hoping you get to run into four ghouls named Justin, Travis, Griffin, and Clint who are all off on an adventure.

This would be all right.

Not really looking forward to this game. I have quite enough multiplayer games competing for my attention.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Vinylshadow posted:

One of my fonder moments of the DLC was after talking Wernher down, you go out and walk over a series of catwalks before reaching the roof of a building

Running along it, you get maybe 1/3rd down it and then plummet straight through it because someone forgot to put a collision mesh on it

It only happens when you have all the addons installed... one of them conflicts with The Pitt in that very specific way, which is weird because there's no reason for any sort of interaction between addons at all!

I don't know that it was ever fixed.

Wolfsheim posted:

Ehhhh this is pretty much a description of 99% of RPGs made. There's even a bit in the first Mass Effect where you literally stop an arguing pair of strangers in the street to butt in with your opinion on whether the girl's baby should get surgery for some medical condition.

It's not surgery, it's curing undesirable and/or possibly life threatening traits in vitro with gene therapy.

While it's framed as a heart thing, the obvious undercurrent with "correcting" babies in vitro is what if the kid is gonna be queer? The concept of making sure your baby is "normal" (by whatever criteria you deem "normal" to be) vs. letting it be how it is regardless is an... interesting situation. They walked a lot of stuff like that back after the EA buyout.

It was really none of Shepard's business anyway, she shouldn't have gotten involved.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Furia posted:

But do we know how moddable Outer Worlds is gonna be? I feel like a lot of the appeal lies there for Bethesda’a popularity

That's just PC gamers, they don't matter as much as they like to think.

Hav posted:

...and everyone is kinda immune to the smell of their own.

Word.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So let's say I wanted to play 76. Is there a story with an end now? I can't be bothered to care about multiplayer in a singleplayer game series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

evilmiera posted:

The main quest of Fallout 76 also sounds like it is the most boring story of the entire franchise, including the Brotherhood of Steel games.

So there IS a story. Okay, I'll give it a shot.

Freeform Crafting Jazz Odysseys are not my bag, I need to be transported to a world of adventure with well defined goals, so, uh, I'll try this modern Bethesda-written game.